• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Then If the SG community has a problem with it then take it up with Mike Z.

In what sense do they take it up with him? Quarantine has been super rough for everyone, and taking away what little respite everyone has as well as the games first EVO tournament after trying for so many years because of Mike would do more harm than good.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In what sense do they take it up with him? Quarantine has been super rough for everyone, and taking away what little respite everyone has as well as the games first EVO tournament after trying for so many years because of Mike would do more harm than good.
And it would be all on Mike. My stance isn't changing on this

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
How is removing Skullgirls from EVO akin to removing everyone's respite during quarantine? That is some serious guilt-tripping.

Shadowstew

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It almost getting a little disgusting to criticize Sonic, Sharpie, and others. Especially, people are already harassing them on social media for "being weak" when the incident happened outside their control.

The Skullgirls community is known for having a diverse community full of players from oppressed minority groups. Don't inadvertently make this into "their community gets punished due to a "supposed" ally creator's cruel, racist joke." Direct any anger or blame at the end of the day at MikeZ.

Also, people already know EVO is wack no matter what decision they do considering they never really apologized for inadvertently praising Domestic Abuser Inflitration's "triumphant return" from domestic abuse.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
How is removing Skullgirls from EVO akin to removing everyone's respite during quarantine? That is some serious guilt-tripping.

Oh fuck off with that. Im saying that punishing everyone who has been grinding the game in preparation for this because of the lead developer fucking up is hurting the wrong people.

DatManOvaDer

Oct 25, 2017
The community is already mad af at Mike and he's already feeling the backlash. I just don't get the point of fucking over the entire community when keeping Mike far away for however long is enough. Idk, maybe I'm missing something. Literally everyone agrees Mike massively fucked up and the community is made up of diverse and passionate people who have been longing for this EVO spot for years. Just doesn't make sense to me to punish the community when you can just punish Mike

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Not having an avatar, defending a racist joke and low post count with a long time of registry are pretty obvious burner/alt account signs.
That's fair.

The community is already mad af at Mike and he's already feeling the backlash. I just don't get the point of fucking over the entire community when keeping Mike far away for however long is enough. Idk, maybe I'm missing something.
As the lead designer, Mike stands to financially benefit from the game's presence and promotion at EVO even he himself isn't allowed to participate.

Oh fuck off with that. Im saying that punishing everyone who has been grinding the game in preparation for this because of the lead developer fucking up is hurting the wrong people.
Then say that next time instead of invoking the quarantine? Yes, it has been hard on everyone. Hell, the quarantine is the only reason that Skullgirls is even at EVO to begin with. That doesn't mean that they can't and won't pull the game if they think the reason is valid. Hell, they already dropped the entire scheduled slate of main stage titles from when it was an offline event. How do you think the people that signed up before the quarantine started, who had made travel arrangements, and who were prepared to travel to Vegas to compete felt when all of this shit happened, and their favored games were pushed aside because of netcode concerns?

So don't tell me to fuck off.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
That's fair.

As the lead designer, Mike stands to financially benefit from the game's presence and promotion at EVO even he himself isn't allowed to participate.

Then say that next time instead of invoking the quarantine? Yes, it has been hard on everyone. Hell, the quarantine is the only reason that Skullgirls is even at EVO to begin with. That doesn't mean that they can't and won't pull the game if they think the reason is valid. Hell, they already dropped the entire scheduled slate of main stage titles from when it was an offline event. How do you think the people that signed up before the quarantine started, who had made travel arrangements, and who were prepared to travel to Vegas to compete felt when all of this shit happened, and their favored games were pushed aside because of netcode concerns?

So don't tell me to fuck off.

Then don't accuse me of guilt tripping when im just laying out the facts.

Mamoniadas

Oct 25, 2017
hell, why dont they pull mrwiz off evo until we see a public apology to pokchop or just cancel evo altogether

Dreamchaserhg

Sep 3, 2019
The community is already mad af at Mike and he's already feeling the backlash. I just don't get the point of fucking over the entire community when keeping Mike far away for however long is enough. Idk, maybe I'm missing something. Literally everyone agrees Mike massively fucked up and the community is made up of diverse and passionate people who have been longing for this EVO spot for years. Just doesn't make sense to me to punish the community when you can just punish Mike
How should mike get punished?

Shawt21

Banned
Apr 26, 2020
Alright, I'm done. It's a lot of...never mind, this thread is turning into something that I don't like.

I'll leave by saying fuck him and fuck anyone calling his "joke" a "mistake" or "not a big deal".

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Anyone who accidentally drops their prefabricated dead nigger joke on stream, in the presence of a black person, does much worse off cam with only their white friends around them.

Stop it with the "bad joke" shit. There's levels and this mofo just ascended to supreme being.

His black "friends" just got a glimpse and will need time to process things, to put the pieces together for themselves. Godspeed to them.

When he calls the joke "too soon", he didn't mean to make publicly, he meant to make when there are no minorities around. He stumbled into the joke on stream (the other dude making the "suffocating" comment made it click into his mind) and couldn't stop himself, but he actually had that one in the pocket for his other dickhead friends to laugh at privately.

I'm sorry but good people don't make racist look at that dead nigger jokes. Again, the fact that it could slip out given the context of the situation should say a lot. The fact that he didn't even recognize wrongdoing immediately says a lot too.

He watched the video of George Floyd dying and found humor in the white man choking him to death. That's powerful stuff to digest.

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
I don't know about that, and its a free online tournament, but it still seems like the wrong move to remove the game last minute.
Well, it's spite. It's a knee-jerk reaction to spite a single person, and it upsets and hurts a lot of other people. While the game might MikeZ's child, it's not only his child; it's as much if not more Davidrath's child and the work of all the other developer's who worked on it. MikeZ basically did the combat. Meanwhile, the game stands on it's own and has fans who've poured hundred of hours into it and have been wanting to have it at EVO as a main event for years.

Now, at last second, some people want to pull the game and fuck with a lot of people for no other reason that to hurt MikeZ. That's all it is; MikeZ made a terribly offensive racist joke at the worst possible time, so people want to hurt him as much as possible and they don't care if it screw's anyone else over. It's just pure, blind, spite for spite's sake. And that's why it seems wrong.

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MikeZ also worked on Killer Instinct and Them's Fighting Herds if people really want to go full scorched earth.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No it's because one of the lead designers of the game made a joke that's not acceptable. This shit isn't acceptable and pull the game.
So we just remove an entire group of competitors who have been training hard who didn't do anything wrong? Sounds shit.
Grant Napear, who had been the voice of the Sacramento Kings for 32 years lost his job too over racist remarks and players calling him out.
That's not the metaphor and you know it.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
So we just remove an entire group of competitors who have been training hard who didn't do anything wrong? Sounds shit.

That's not the metaphor and you know it.
The person I quoted mentioned someone outed by the NBA because of their racism in response to my post and I simply mentioned a more recent case.

Also, that metaphor didn't really make sense because you're comparing Skullgirls at Evo to the NBA(which would remove anyone who did the exact same thing as MikeZ anyways)

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
The person I quoted mentioned someone outed by the NBA because of their racism in response to my post and I simply mentioned a more recent case.

Also, that metaphor didn't really make sense because you're comparing Skullgirls at Evo to the NBA(which would remove anyone who did the exact same thing as MikeZ anyways)
And who was James Basketball supposed to be in that metaphor, anyway?

petermarinus

Banned
May 31, 2020
Anyone who accidentally drops their prefabricated dead nigger joke on stream, in the presence of a black person, does much worse off cam with only their white friends around them.

Stop it with the "bad joke" shit. There's levels and this mofo just ascended to supreme being.

His black "friends" just got a glimpse and will need time to process things, to put the pieces together for themselves. Godspeed to them.

When he calls the joke "too soon", he didn't mean to make publicly, he meant to make when there are no minorities around. He stumbled into the joke on stream (the other dude making the "suffocating" comment made it click into his mind) and couldn't stop himself, but he actually had that one in the pocket for his other dickhead friends to laugh at privately.

I'm sorry but good people don't make racist look at that dead nigger jokes. Again, the fact that it could slip out given the context of the situation should say a lot. The fact that he didn't even recognize wrongdoing immediately says a lot too.

He watched the video of George Floyd dying and found humor in the white man choking him to death. That's powerful stuff to digest.

Truth.
What irritates me is that guys like this can pretend they are tolerant because they put some Furby in the game here, and a little pride flag there, and they fool everybody, but in reality the person is a piece of shit.

Well, it's spite. It's a knee-jerk reaction to spite a single person, and it upsets and hurts a lot of other people. While the game might MikeZ's child, it's not only his child; it's as much if not more Davidrath's child and the work of all the other developer's who worked on it. MikeZ basically did the combat. Meanwhile, the game stands on it's own and has fans who've poured hundred of hours into it and have been wanting to have it at EVO as a main event for years.

Now, at last second, some people want to pull the game and fuck with a lot of people for no other reason that to hurt MikeZ. That's all it is; MikeZ made a terribly offensive racist joke at the worst possible time, so people want to hurt him as much as possible and they don't care if it screw's anyone else over. It's just pure, blind, spite for spite's sake. And that's why it seems wrong.

This is more important than playing a videogame. "he is racist but... I really need to play ma videogame :(" This would send a signal to the gaming community that this will not stand anymore. He should remove himself from the game if he is really sorry and really cares about his fans

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hey, can't make an omelette without breaking eggs.

Can't make insensitive remarks without there being consequences.
Cool, ban him from EVO and affiliated appearances, ask Lab Zero to make him really repent or fire him, drag his ass any time he shows up, dunk on his shitty apology, don't punish people who have nothing to do with him, except play a game he worked on. Hell, I bet if you translate some SFV dev tweets we can find something appalling, doesn't mean you ban SFV from EVO

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Cool, ban him from EVO and affiliated appearances, ask Lab Zero to make him really repent or fire him, drag his ass any time he shows up, dunk on his shitty apology, don't punish people who have nothing to do with him, except play a game he worked on. Hell, I bet if you translate some SFV dev tweets we can find something appalling, doesn't mean you ban SFV from EVO
They already dropped SFV from EVO because of extenuating circumstances. They can also drop Skullgirls due to extenuating circumstances. Them's the breaks.

Deleted member 13707

Account closed at user request
Oct 27, 2017
They already dropped SFV from EVO because of extenuating circumstances. They can also drop Skullgirls due to extenuating circumstances. Them's the breaks.

Granted, these are ludicrously different categories in play. But this year has proven that from problems big and small, no fighitng game, no matter how established, gets a guaranteed EVO spot.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
If Ono for example said this there would definitely be a huge outrage and you would have people demanding Evo pull the game unless he's fired.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
The "joke" is absolutely terrible. We had a politician here share an awful "joke" picture about George Floyd's murder. With his history and the accompanying text complaining about equality (and his political party ofc), it was easy to draw conclusion it being racially motivated. Is there more to MikeZ, to point out him making the "joke" was because George Floyd was a black man?

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You can hear him false start a couple of times, then half heartedly shrug the "joke" from his lips, already knowing that it's a terrible idea.
Should have immediately called himself out instead of let that silence hang.

What an idiot.
As I say, probably immediately regretted it and hoped it would just slide right past.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
MikeZ also worked on Killer Instinct and Them's Fighting Herds if people really want to go full scorched earth.
Not to get too OT but I don't think he directly 'worked' on KI..from what I remember he was part of a group who was shown an early build and gave feedback, IIRC he wasn't happy with some of DH's design choices early on.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
He clearly doesn't grasp the magnitude of the situation.
Yeah. The events these past few weeks is a time to have some introspection for all of us even if they did not affect us directly. For him to think that it was time to cook up a knee slapping zinger and serve it up to the unsuspecting world tells you ALL you need to know about what he took away from seeing an innocent man get killed and the subsequent fallout from that.

Honestly all his excuses ring hollow to me for that mere alone. To then pull a Kramer and look for the nearest black person he could find to shield him from his own stupidity tells you he does not get it, yet. Hopefully he does after all this.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Let's be real here: Skullgirls is in this faux-EVO tournament for one reason only - it has good netcode implementation. EVO is not running "Them's Fighting Herds" - the game that started as an My Little Pony fangame - because it's scene is so great. None of the four games that are in this thing could crack into the 8 main-stage games when EVO was an offline event.

So by the thinnest of margins, it's being run here because of one technical detail. And I understand that the scene doesn't deserve to lose out because Mike Z is a jackass, but there are other games with bigger scenes (and at least servicable netcode) that fit in here that don't lead to financially enriching someone who thinks it's funny to joke about the pleas a man was making while being murdered.

I think they should pull it. I don't care what game they throw in.

This is really well put.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Let's be real here: Skullgirls is in this faux-EVO tournament for one reason only - it has good netcode implementation. EVO is not running "Them's Fighting Herds" - the game that started as an My Little Pony fangame - because it's scene is so great. None of the four games that are in this thing could crack into the 8 main-stage games when EVO was an offline event.

So by the thinnest of margins, it's being run here because of one technical detail. And I understand that the scene doesn't deserve to lose out because Mike Z is a jackass, but there are other games with bigger scenes (and at least servicable netcode) that fit in here that don't lead to financially enriching someone who thinks it's funny to joke about the pleas a man was making while being murdered.

I think they should pull it. I don't care what game they throw in.

The only other scene that has as big, or bigger of a scene, with decent netcode that already hasn't been included is probably Power Rangers, and they are likely going through their own shit right now (likely licensing)

Lev

Oct 29, 2017
United States
When you consider that LTG and Ceroblast got permabans from EVO for discriminatory comments said in public spaces online, it wouldn't be fair if Mike Z got to walk away without facing similar repercussions. That's why I think at least EVO needs to remove the game from their lineup this year and ban Mike Z from EVO-related events.

I'm sure that the Skullgirls community doesn't want to see this happen but they need to realize that this incident is bigger than them; it's about holding people in power accountable for their actions. Mike Z's comment was horribly distasteful and offensive to POC and victims of police brutality, as his joke made a mockery of their fears and actual suffering.

This is why I think Mike's action is serious enough for him to face some consequences. A simple apology will not suffice. In the video, you can see that Mike even paused slightly before telling the joke, which makes one question if the pause was because he was thinking about the possible fallout that he would get for telling the joke, which hints that he knew what he was doing.

It doesn't matter that Mike Z is a game developer or has clout in the FGC; he needs to understand that he can face a similar fate to those who have done similar offenses.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

Say again for folks in the back

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
When you consider that LTG and Ceroblast got permabans from EVO for discriminatory comments said in public spaces online, it wouldn't be fair if Mike Z got to walk away without facing similar repercussions. That's why I think at least EVO needs to remove the game from their lineup this year and ban Mike Z from EVO-related events.

I'm sure that the Skullgirls community doesn't want to see this happen but they need to realize that this incident is bigger than them; it's about holding people in power accountable for their actions. Mike Z's comment was horribly distasteful and offensive to POC and victims of police brutality, as his joke made a mockery of their fears and actual suffering.

This is why I think Mike's action is serious enough for him to face some consequences. A simple apology will not suffice. In the video, you can see that Mike even paused slightly before telling the joke, which makes one question if the pause was because he was thinking about the possible fallout that he would get for telling the joke, which hints that he knew what he was doing.

It doesn't matter that Mike Z is a game developer or has clout in the FGC; he needs to understand that he can face a similar fate to those who have done similar offenses.

Mike Z deserves any bans coming his way, but banning Skullgirls itself from Evo is not really in line with the grassroots spirit of the tournament. It puts the dev as more important than the players. If Ed Boon, Harada, or Ono said something wild, Mortal Kombat, Tekken, or Street Fighter shouldn't be banned. Ban Boon/Harada/Ono.

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
It was a shit joke on a sensitive subject. I wish I could say I haven't been guilty of similar (unrelated to current events) but some of us need to learn the hard way that we're not funny or clever enough to use tragedy as a source of comedy regardless of our intentions.