• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
One of my friends used to make Holocaust jokes when we were on public transport. His excuse was "it's really horrific what happened, I am only trying to draw attention to it". Turns out it didn't stop at jokes. Having actual discussion that Hitler improved public roads and other vile shit like that. After trying to make him understand, we knew it was pointless and just had to cut him off. When I recently searched his profile and looked at all the extreme-right groups he is part of, I knew I didn't need to feel bad anymore.

Probably the same with this guy, little by little he will show his true colors
This reads like a copypasta.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Maybe it is, but if you're white and youve never known anybody like what he described you either haven't had a big friend group or don't pay attention enough to edgy creeps in your circle.

(edit: or are just young enough that "edgy friends" havent matured into fascists, but if so watch out)

petermarinus

Banned
May 31, 2020
You would wish it were.
It would start with how Germany had the best tanks and how "Fury" was bullshit, but before long:
Germany had to invade other countries to defend itself. They wanted to unite Europe because Russia wanted to destroy it. And that is not even the worst. This constant 'Germany did nothing wrong'-argumentation mixed with the casual antisemitism made it more clear and clear that he was a little POS holocaust denying racist

QBizM

Oct 25, 2017
Really disappointed in the responses from Sharpie and Fox. It wasn't a tone deaf comment. It was a remark from someone who just doesn't get it. And I would like to say to them both; this whole thing is BIGGER than you. Just because you can forgive your 'friend', that does not invalidate his insensitivity, ignorance and making light of current events. I mean, he even admitted he could hear the protests outside his place. It's not a million miles away, in a distant land. This easy forgiveness of such behaviour has gone on for too long, and such individuals need to be taken to task on it.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'm seeing negative but honestly, if it wasn't MikeZ who said that, and someone else far less known they'd be getting buried to oblivion. I'm not saying he's getting a free pass cause he sure as hell isn't getting any but there would probably be none of these "we need to see the context every times with twitch clips" or whatever.
Yea, if this was a lesser known indie dev or something, I don't know if there would be nearly as many defenses, or any at all.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
Calls to remove it from EVO are a bit misguided. Skullgirls belongs to its community, it being in EVO is for their benefit, not Mikes.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
Calls to remove it from EVO are a bit misguided. Skullgirls belongs to its community, it being in EVO is for their benefit, not Mikes.

Pretty much this.

Besides DaPurpleSharpie has busted her fucking ass off for this game, to have it taken away at the shot of EVO because Mike Z couldnt help himself would be atrocious.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much this.

Besides DaPurpleSharpie has busted her fucking ass off for this game, to have it taken away at the shot of EVO because Mike Z couldnt help himself would be atrocious.
That's all understandable. At the same time, it can also be argued that, as a project from a small indie studio, Mike has far more ownership of Skullgirls than Ono has of Street Fighter V, for example. Mike only recently made a big deal about adding wifi icons to the game by himself, didn't he? Yeah, there's a small team behind it, but as the lead designer and easily the most vocal member of Lab Zero, it's his game.

Which absolutely sucks for the game's community. But if his idiocy leads to a removal of the game from EVO, it's his own damn fault. And I doubt that EVO wants one of their headlining games this year, at this time in history, to be known as "that one game by that dumb fucker that made a joke on air at George Floyd's expense."

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I'm seeing negative but honestly, if it wasn't MikeZ who said that, and someone else far less known they'd be getting buried to oblivion. I'm not saying he's getting a free pass cause he sure as hell isn't getting any but there would probably be none of these "we need to see the context every times with twitch clips" or whatever.

I agree. Seeing some weird caping in this thread.

Mike is the most dangerous sort of 'ally'.

Has black friends, ticks off on all the socially acceptable causes, and yet in his mind, that 'joke' is appropriate to say live on air. Those 'jokes' swirl around his head.

MegaMan

Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Inflammatory Commentary Around Race
Big ups to Sonicfox being the black friend racists can go to.

Shows why they stayed at the racist as fuck company Rick Fox bailed out on. I'm thankful that even though I've been gaming all these years I never succumbed to this token warrior behavior that many other black geeks seem to fall into.

Last edited:

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
Geez Mike, all you had to do was apologise and admit it was insensitive. Does this guy have a history of making racist jokes? If so then fuck him but if not then hopefully it was just a dumb attempt at an edgy joke. Not that it makes it okay.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
No idea why ppl are attacking SonicFox here. It's Sonic's choice to forgive Mike. Mike asked for forgiveness as well. Additionally, outside of the joke, his track record is that of integrity.

People make mistakes. I think it is unfair to punish the Skullsgirl community for this as well, especially with a repentant MikeZ.

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
his apologies stink of damage control, I can't understand how any decent human being can make such a fucking joke after seeing the video of George Floyd begging for his life, fuck this dude

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I definitely don't think the game should be removed from EVO. That would be super shitty to the community and everybody else excited about it.

Also think it's super silly to try and throw Sonicfox under the bus for coming to bat for their friend. It's their choice and they aren't saying they're speaking for everybody.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
No idea why ppl are attacking SonicFox here. It's Sonic's choice to forgive Mike. Mike asked for forgiveness as well. Additionally, outside of the joke, his track record is that of integrity.

People make mistakes. I think it is unfair to punish the Skullsgirl community for this as well, especially with a repentant MikeZ.
By the same token, is it fair to let Mike off the hook for something he did just because punishment could affect the game's presence at a tournament?

The answer is no.

The ball is in EVO's court now, and how they handle this is up to them. But if they do drop the game (the most extreme option) I'd hope that the Skullgirls community members have the sense to understand why it happened.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
By the same token, is it fair to let Mike off the hook for something he did just because punishment could affect the game's presence at a tournament?

The answer is no.

The ball is in EVO's court now, and how they handle this is up to them. But if they do drop the game (the most extreme option) I'd hope that the Skullgirls community members have the sense to understand why it happened.
Hasn't he donated money to black charities as well?

He made a horrible joke. I agree. The man apologized, has been giving money to the movements, and so on. What else needs to happen?

Moreover, this is not something that is habitual. As far as ppl have mentioned, this was his first error here. He's not in the PDP camp of multiple violations, dog whistles, and using plausible deniability.

I'm big on the body of work, for both good and bad. And it doesn't seem his body of work is that of a vile character.

We need to give people a path to redemption, especially when they are sincere. The rest is on MikeZ. He has to live it out now.

To be clear, I'm not calling on others to accept his apology--that's a personal decision. I'm talking about further public censure. What's left for a guy that already apologized and committed to the cause financially?

Oct 27, 2017
What I don't get is how you can be a self-purported champion of disadvantaged groups and even think making that joke was alright.

Jonathan Lanza

Feb 8, 2019
But he inherently benefits from the game being there. More so than pretty much any member of the community.
By that logic though Mike benefits from literally any tournament the fame has. If the tournament is not run by Mr. Wizard then it would be run by some other members as has been the case for years now and will probably always be the case.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Shows why he stayed at the racist as fuck company Rick Fox bailed out on. I'm thankful that even though I've been gaming all these years I never succumbed to this token warrior behavior that many other black geeks seem to fall into.

Speak on it. A lot of self-described 'black geeks' let their mostly white 'friends' cross the line without saying a word. But seem to think they're special and immune when these people toss out some slick 'jokes' at the expense of black people.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Ah he went for the "this is not who I am" apology. But glad to know he's fine getting bumped off. Give him a time out. Racist jokes should have consequences.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
People keep asking others to forgive him and that we shouldn't remove the game because he apologized. Which is fine if you want to forgive him.

But the fact that he is thinking in his apology that it wasn't the time to do that joke is just something that baffles me. It's never the time to make that joke.

mr teaspoon

Banned
Feb 22, 2018
User Banned (Permanent): Troll account
This is so fucking funny. Way to make yourself look like a complete ass, ha ha ha. But all he needs to do is apologize, it isn't a big deal.

Jun 11, 2019
Shows why he stayed at the racist as fuck company Rick Fox bailed out on. I'm thankful that even though I've been gaming all these years I never succumbed to this token warrior behavior that many other black geeks seem to fall into.
SF uses They/Them, I understand thinking what they said was dumb as shit but let's try and refer to them properly
Whatever happens to Skullgirls, I can't say I have much faith in the same people who thought letting Infiltration back in was a good idea, honestly

MegaMan

Oct 30, 2017
SF uses They/Them, I understand thinking what they said was dumb as shit but let's try and refer to them properly

Whatever happens to Skullgirls, I can't say I have much faith in the same people who thought letting Infiltration back in was a good idea, honestly

I'm sorry I didn't mean to refer to them incorrectly. I'll make the correction immediately.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Wow... what was he even thinking. I'm glad the others didn't try to play it off by saying something else quickly. The silence lasted years.

May 18, 2018
Shows why they stayed at the racist as fuck company Rick Fox bailed out on. I'm thankful that even though I've been gaming all these years I never succumbed to this token warrior behavior that many other black geeks seem to fall into.
You ain't lying. I'm very happy I'm not the "he's cool he can say nigga" black geek. I'll never want approval that bad.

Because our people in our country, of all ages, are risking injury to protest cops killing black people. "I can't breathe" is literally something that has happened multiple times times before. Cops are choking the shit out of black people. Sonicfox/purplesharpie telling everyone to relax literally makes things worse for black people. White people get away with shit too much already. Now I'm supposed to live and let be because of a twitlonger and a couple of black people said so? Shiiiiit. We haven't even seen the repercussions of them brushing this off to the side and I'm going to make sure I show up to say "I told you so".

This isn't a "mistake". He didn't let that slip out accidentally. He knew what he was going to say. Fuck everyone involved.

Jonathan Lanza

Feb 8, 2019
You ain't lying. I'm very happy I'm not the "he's cool he can say nigga" black geek. I'll never want approval that bad.

Because our people in our country, of all ages, are risking injury to protest cops killing black people. "I can't breathe" is literally something that has happened multiple times times before. Cops are choking the shit out of black people. Sonicfox/purplesharpie telling everyone to relax literally makes things worse for black people. White people get away with shit too much already. Now I'm supposed to live and let be because of a twitlonger and a couple of black people said so? Shiiiiit. We haven't even seen the repercussions of them brushing this off to the side and I'm going to make sure I show up to say "I told you so".

This isn't a "mistake". He didn't let that slip out accidentally. He knew what he was going to say. Fuck everyone involved.
SF did not tell anyone to relax. They said that exactly this.....

...nobody was asked to relax and nobody was told to forgive Mike by SF. They forgave him based entirely on their own personal judgments and association and that's it. Nobody is being asked to agree with SF and they are not the be all end all of judgements and nowhere did SF imply otherwise.

So getting on their case about all this is not helpful. SF was asked what their personal feelings were on the matter and they gave them. Again, nobody was called to have the same feelings as them.

May 18, 2018
User Banned (1 Month): Inflammatory Commentary Around Race
SF did not tell anyone to relax. They said that exactly this.....

...nobody was asked to relax and nobody was told to forgive Mike by SF. They forgave him based entirely on their own personal judgments and association and that's it. Nobody is being asked to agree with SF and they are not the be all end all of judgements and nowhere did SF imply otherwise.

So getting on their case about all this is not helpful. SF was asked what their personal feelings were on the matter and they gave them. Again, nobody was called to have the same feelings as them.

Purple Sharpie did. And getting on Sonicfox's case isn't helpful to you because you don't understand which is whatever. Just like the LTG/Cero thing, people don't realize this isn't about fighting games anymore. This isn't some minor thing and every person going "leave them alone" is part of the problem whether they want to admit it or not. Hopefully no one reminds Sonicfox and purplesharpie that they are still black but after the wall of defense they are getting, I don't think they'll see it anyway. Sad bidness.