• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
The only genuinely amusing comment I've read about this situation today is a tweet calling Skullgirls "gentrified MvC2."

Anyway, MikeZ needs to remove himself from any and all public association with this game, at the bare minimum.

I disagree, and I imagine the diverse community after hearing this would also disagree. Disgusting.
I'd bet otherwise.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
He really thought he was working up to a really special joke. Never seen someone whiff it so bad.

BionicDreamer

Nov 6, 2017
giphy.gif

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017

Stalwart

Banned
Feb 4, 2018
I don't like how some of you say just apologize and let him get away. Then anyone can do that and be fine...

Apologizing is cool and all but that doesn't mean he should be forgiven for something he meant and only is saying sorry since people found out. Most of the time they actually don't even mean it, they just want people off of them.

AZ Greg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Dismissive and Hostile Commentary Around Police Brutality; Numerous Prior Bans for Inflammatory Behavior Including a Severe Ban for Dismissing Transphobia
If Sonic is cool with the apology then so am I. This isn't someone who had something outed and is now only apologizing cause it came out. He just made a really, really bad joke. We all put our feet in our mouths. Armchair warriors calling for cancellation over 1 slip need to get a life.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Sonic is cool with the apology then so am I. This isn't someone who had something outed and is now only apologizing cause it came out. He just made a really, really bad joke. We all put our feet in our mouths. Armchair warriors calling for cancellation over 1 slip need to get a life.

You're not wrong, but is Sonic the type to cancel people without doing all of the research? Obviously you're gonna take whatever apology your friend gives.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I mean, I've made some jokes in poor taste before, but I don't even see how this is a joke?

It's a reference to a high profile-incident where a man who shouldn't have died ended up dead . . . And that's describing the situation about as mildly as possible. Even going off of that mild description, his comment is in poor taste. Obviously the situation is far more sensitive than that description encompasses, making his comment so much worse.

What he said is not clever and has no surprise or context giving it even the slightest bit of humor. On top of that, with the lead up it's like he actually thought about it before he said it, rather than it being an impulsive remark.

laser

Feb 17, 2018
You don't get to decide whether minorities accept his apology. That's up the the individual person.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
Here is an update, from 3 minutes ago. He's trying to cover his ass apparently.

clips.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

He was trying to bring light to the movement not make fun of it. According to him.

...Right.
Look at her face when he is trying to explain himself. Is she reacting to him, chat or the game?

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
He replied 2 hours ago.

TwitLonger — When you talk too much for Twitter

TwitLonger is the easy way to post more than 140 characters to Twitter
I'm wholeheartedly sorry for making a much-too-soon comment that was definitely in poor taste. What matters is how it _came out_, not my intent, and it came out super badly.

Okay, no. The problem isn't the timing, it wasn't that he told it wrong. The joke was fundamentally bad.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Hope he does better in the future, that apology isn't really bringing it home and yes I know he has donated and advocated already, but oof, maybe he should've ran that apology by literally anyone.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Sigh...
He should have immediately recognized the terrible "joke", apologized and honestly begged for forgiveness. When you eff up, you know you effed up.
And if you don't know you effed up right away, then that's usually a bigger problem.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Cool its fine that you ok without but alot of us isnt and you dont have the right to try and call us out like this.

Last edited:

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Damn Sharpie put in a lot of good word for Skullgirls over the years, really feel bad for the position this puts her in now. The fuck was MikeZ thinking.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Fuck you.

Jokes about black people dying just a day after the memorial and in the midst of protests is fuckinf terrible.

So, again. Fuck you.

MegaMan

Oct 30, 2017
The same Skullgirls that has make a huge deal about things like gender ratios, removed animations that objectified their characters, prominently added in trans activism...?

Way to undermine your own goodwill among the audience you've been appealing to, Mike.

White "Liberalism" at work, proper treatment for everyone except PoC. Fuck this prick.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There needs to be consequences to this. Pull the game from evo
Lol. What would be the point of removing the game from EVO ? What are your reasoning for that exactly ? You realize that the Skullgirls community will suffer from this right ?

Just ban MikeZ from commentating at EVO.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Well there goes any goodwill he got with including Sonicfox

Shawt21

Banned
Apr 26, 2020
Really? I was going to write a really nasty comment, probably cursing you out and risking a ban that I don't really care about. I'm not going to do that. Instead, I'll just say this,

These past few days years have been really bad for us. Lately, I've been crying because it felt like nothing has changed because this happens way more than it should. But seeing the support from everyone is amazing and it shows me that EVERYONE has had enough. I'm rambling, so let me get to the point.

My people are dying at the hands of those who are supposed to protect and serve, so to me and a lot of others it was way more than a "slip".

George Floyd is gone for absolutely no reason, his daughter no longer has a father, so for you to call this a "slip" hurts.

So i'll finish by saying that I will never forgive this guy, nor will I ever buy anything he's involved with in the future. And I'll suggest in the future, you should not tell people how to feel.

Oct 25, 2017
And in this post you're more upset at people upset at Mike Z for racism that occured this week than you are at Mike for his own racism shown this week.

Also, that wasn't a slip, he knew what he doing, but whatever you have to tell yourself to make it easier for you to move on and still like him.

Sevyne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

And these types of responses are why things never change. Congratulations, you are a part of the problem.

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The build up was awkward, the delivery was awkward and the silence was amazing.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
So glad you are cool with it. Maybe it's time for you to put your foot in your mouth?

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
That was incredibly irresponsible, incredibly stupid, and that apology fucking sucked. Too soon? They way he said it? Just own your mistake.

FloofyMoofys

Aug 19, 2019
just call someone an sjw and get it over with

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
I know of, but not familiar with EVO. It says that Skullgirls is part of an open tournament. Does that contain prize money? Also, how interchangeable is the game Skullgirls with something else? Like would selecting a different game put some participants at a serious disadvantage?

I would think it would be incredibly unfair for participants to suffer the consequences of jackass's idiotic and tone deaf joke.

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
I mean...even in the best case the joke's not funny.

And he clearly had his brain go "wait stop."

Then went with it anyway?