• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The same Skullgirls that has make a huge deal about things like gender ratios, removed animations that objectified their characters, prominently added in trans activism...?

Way to undermine your own goodwill among the audience you've been appealing to, Mike.

This is supposed to be a progressive game? I just paused that video and this is what's on screen:

pjQn71B.png

Panty shot, oversized boobs falling out of her top, zettai ryouiki on two characters(thought one seems to be background?), pigeon toe bullshit on that same background character, and a skirt so short that she must be mooning everything to the left of the screen. Sorry to go on a tangent, but I've always assumed this game was some reprehensible loli bait, and this, combined with the behavior of the lead dev, does nothing to convince me otherwise.

Pez

Oct 28, 2017
Sounds like Reverge Labs needs a new Lead Designer.

Or Autumn Games needs to drop them from their label.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is really sad to hear after all the goodwill they got from the Sonicfox update.

Don't even know what to say.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus... read the fucking room, Mike.

This is the old-school, FGC edgelord shit. When fighting games were becoming too "e-sports" for certain people, this is the type of shit they were afraid of losing. It is pathetic.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
This is supposed to be a progressive game? I just paused that video and this is what's on screen:

pjQn71B.png

Panty shot, oversized boobs falling out of her top, zettai ryouiki on two characters(thought one seems to be background?), pigeon toe bullshit on that same background character, and a skirt so short that she must be mooning everything to the left of the screen. Sorry to go on a tangent, but I've always assumed this game was some reprehensible loli bait, and this, combined with the behavior of the lead dev, does nothing to convince me otherwise.

This is part of why it never clicked with me, but yes, it did often position itself as such.

www.resetera.com

New Skullgirls update adds Sonicfox as a background NPC & transitions a community member to her new look

https://twitter.com/SonicFox/status/1263976222918414336?s=20 also https://twitter.com/SonicFox/status/1263979654819581952?s=20 https://twitter.com/SonicFox/status/1263980444481093635?s=20

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017

pjQn71B.png

how does sexual elements factor in with progressive values?????

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
Not familiar with MikeZ, but it says a lot about him that even in the most troubling of times, he treats the loss of black lives as a joke.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, Mike. What the fuck

As an aside, this is a weird take

pjQn71B.png

Being progressive doesnt mean it cant be horny

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
On second thought, I don't want him anywhere near Alundra.

pjQn71B.png

That's kinda just Alex Ahad's art style. Game came out 8 years ago, and some of these designs he thought up near two decades ago in high school. His designs have improved since Skullgirls came out.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Here is an update, from 3 minutes ago. He's trying to cover his ass apparently.

clips.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

He was trying to bring light to the movement not make fun of it. According to him.

...Right.
I thought of some possible bad responses/excuses he could've made, and somehow he managed to surpass them all.

Truly amazing.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And also transitioned another character in the same update. Its kind of astounding.
A part of me just really hopes this is just a HORRIBLE lapse in judgment, but even I know it shouldn't take much thinking to realize this joke is not ok.

Like I don't like to assume the worst in people but this is a colossal fuck up on levels I've never seen.

jay

Oct 25, 2017

pjQn71B.png

People do mental gymnastics to explain why this is sex positive or something. Women being sexualized in this manner may not be sexist in some future far off equal society, but in this world it certainly is.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
On second thought, I don't want him anywhere near Alundra.

That's kinda just Alex Ahad's art style. Game came out 8 years ago, and some of these designs he thought up near two decades ago in high school. His designs have improved since Skullgirls came out.

That makes more sense. I went to the wiki for the game, and the DLC characters do seem better than most of the original cast.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Here is an update, from 3 minutes ago. He's trying to cover his ass apparently.

clips.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

He was trying to bring light to the movement not make fun of it. According to him.

...Right.

You know, I can almost believe that. I can believe that more than it being an attempt to get a laugh. A ham-fisted, insensitive attempt at poignancy.

Edit:
No, listening to it again there's levity to it. I can't parse the intent of it, it's baffling.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
You know, I can almost believe that. I can believe that more than it being an attempt to get a laugh. A ham-fisted, insensitive attempt at poignancy.
With no follow up on commentary on the topic after.

I don't know what's going through the guy's head, but if it was well-intentioned, ham-fisted is describing it lightly.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
That makes more sense. I went to the wiki for the game, and the DLC characters do seem better than most of the original cast.

They are, with maybe the exception of Mrs. Victoria/D. Violet and Venus, although those are kinda old designs as well since they both appear in the game. Check out the designs for Indivisible. Not all of those are Alex Ahad's, but the main girl and some of the others are. The protagonist Ajna's one of my favorite designs this gen. Just a shame the game wasn't that great.

Last edited:

Mentok

Oct 27, 2017
Not only the silence, but he managed to make Twitter chat shocked... That's when you know you effed up.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017

pjQn71B.png

The background characters are backer rewards from the Indiegogo campaign to get the game relisted and add DLC.

As far as I'm aware none of the sexualized characters in Skullgirls are underage, though I don't recall the ages of the characters being stated in the main story.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I do wonder if EVO is looking at this. Even if they don't drop Skullgirls, they could bar Mike from participating.

Also, people are picking now to ask "Why is Skullgirls horny?"

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017

pjQn71B.png

This ain't Arcana Heart. Skullgirls def aint no loli bait shit

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

pjQn71B.png

Pretty much all conplaints valid but the lolibait part

the game never really had any loli shit in it, thank god. There's one character's design you could point at maybe but she isn't sexualized like the rest of the cast.

i don't think it's fair to lump Skullgirls fans in with the loli crowd

but yes, this game was always embarrassing to play with my friends, worse than Dead Or Alive since at least those characters can opt for more sensible clothing and the cast has a lot of sexualized men, too

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
As far as I'm aware none of the sexualized characters in Skullgirls are underage, though I don't recall the ages of the characters being stated in the main story.
I know Filia is 16, and I believe she had an win animation of Samson ripping open her shirt that Lab Zero decided was in bad taste and removed.

EDIT: Looks like they actually edited out a fair amount of panty shots a few years after release. You can see the details on The Cutting Room Floor.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
how dumb do you have to fucking be to think that this joke is ever appropriate, let alone now

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I do wonder if EVO is looking at this. Even if they don't drop Skullgirls, they could bar Mike from participating.

Also, people are picking now to ask "Why is Skullgirls horny?"

I mean, somebody just brought up Reverge Labs as if thats a company that exists, lol

So far this is a "person said really dumb thing" situation and not a "this person is a racist and needs to be avoided" That being said, depending on how he responds, it could get there