• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
This is not gonna go the way he thinks it will.

I bought some (or more accurately all) of Mariel's sketchbooks. Hopefully it can help soften the blow a bit.

Westlo

Nov 4, 2017
Let it be known Mike Z got a pass from a majority of the FGC. They all looked away from the stuff that was coming out about this guy and excusing his actions. Others got banned immediately from tournaments or ostracized for similar or less. If you are a "good" player or have been associated with the FGC for a long time you are given multiple passes. Now he's self destructing exposing himself more.

"Bu-bu-but Sonicfox had words with Mike Z, it's all good now!"

Not a good look for Sonic (who also backed Nakkiel), and fanboys need to stop being so gullible.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guys, what games so they make? Can you add to the bio so people know what not to purchase.
A boycott is kind of unnecessary.

Lab Zero made Skullgirls, but Autumn Games apparently financed it and owns the IP.
Lab Zero next made Indivisible, but it was paid for by a combination of 505 Games and crowdfunding. Apparently 505 Games owns the IP.

Lab Zero was more than Mike Z. Mike Z was the head of Lab Zero, but he mired himself in controversy and was asked to leave, but then he didn't leave, and then people started to quit, and now he apparently flipped out and fired everyone who hadn't quit yet.

So Lab Zero is basically dead now, and irrelevant. The Captain decided to drive everyone away and go down with his ship. Everyone else will be forced to find new ships and move on.

This is just a mental breakdown at this point isn't it? It feels like it's the worst possible move for him.
Apparently there were some negotiations to buy him out and keep Lab Zero running without him, but he screwed around with trying to maximize the value of his buyout. Then people started quitting, and the value of Lab Zero started crashing, which wrecked his leverage. At a certain point, it probably became unlikely that Lab Zero would ever be employed to make games again, but Lab Zero apparently gets some sort of royalties on Indivisible, and might get some sort of royalties on Skullgirls, so if he fires everyone and becomes the sole owner/employee of Lab Zero, then he can drain all the remaining value from Lab Zero's lifeless husk. Whenever a royalty check comes in (however big it is), he pays himself with that money, since he's Lab Zero's only employee. As soon as the buyout option fell apart, with no future and just a past to leech, this was probably his best move. Probably coldly cynical, not a mental breakdown.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
But isn't that kind of the best possible outcome? Now Autumn Games can just soak up everyone who was laid off to continue work on Skullgirls, which would effectively mean Mike Z ousted himself?
That happened like last week. Skullgirls is now being worked on by the studio that does the mobile game.

The only thing Mike owns is an empty office.

rare

Oct 25, 2017
Good luck doing that without source code access. Mike Z now has exclusive ownership over the Z Engine. No more Skullgirls for anyone.
I'm sure the deal with Autumn includes them having their own fork of the Z Engine, same with Them's Fighting Herds. Besides, it would also mean he would make no money if he didn't license it out.

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
I hope for the best to all the people that worked at Lab Zero Games.

Even if it openly know MikeZ's riddiculous ego and I can't feel surprised by the last months developments, it's really sad that he preferred to sink the ship with him, and left a lot of people unemployed and damage the brand forever, than make a step out and try to save the face to all the allegations against him.

Also, I never liked him since I watch MikeZ's panel at EVO 2011. Even if a lot of the Skullgirls features that he talks really improved the genre, you can see how he talks about himself and how dimiss the work of the other developers.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

I guess that's their statement?

Francesca probably wrote that statement as CEO and she has quit long since then.

Very sad state of affairs, all of us who were involved with the company and their franchises are pretty sad and upset, as you can imagine.

Good luck doing that without source code access. Mike Z now has exclusive ownership over the Z Engine. No more Skullgirls for anyone.

Thats not really how it goes, lol. Skullgirls mobile is a thing, the code has been shared plenty by this point. Its not like its the most amazing engine by todays standards, it was nice how it got to run SG on a PS3 but its not a huge blocker anymore.

FSP

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, United Kingdom
I'm sure the deal with Autumn includes them having their own fork of the Z Engine, same with Them's Fighting Herds. Besides, it would also mean he would make no money if he didn't license it out.

Autumn are a publishing team, not a development studio. The Z Engine is a Lab Zero thing - or more accurately it's Mike Z's thing which he wrote first at Reverge Labs and later extended at Lab Zero. Them's Fighting Herds licensed use of the engine from Lab Zero, not Autumn.

Autumn have sworn off of working w/ Mike Z, and he now has exclusive ownership of licensing rights. Ergo no more Z Engine, so no more Skullgirls outside of the mobile game.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Francesca probably wrote that statement as CEO and she has quit long since then.

Very sad state of affairs, all of us who were involved with the company and their franchises are pretty sad and upset, as you can imagine.

Thats not really how it goes, lol. Skullgirls mobile is a thing, the code has been shared plenty by this point. Its not like its the most amazing engine by todays standards, it was nice how it got to run SG on a PS3 but its not a huge blocker anymore.

I almost forget the context that the engine was built around the time where you had extremely high resolution assets at the time for platforms that have minuscule amounts of RAM by today's standards.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
That's one way to deal with this.

It's the unbelievably heinous, disgusting and pathetic way, though.

I guess, this totally fits the character of this Mike Z.

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Autumn are a publishing team, not a development studio. The Z Engine is a Lab Zero thing - or more accurately it's Mike Z's thing which he wrote first at Reverge Labs and later extended at Lab Zero. Them's Fighting Herds licensed use of the engine from Lab Zero, not Autumn.

Autumn have sworn off of working w/ Mike Z, and he now has exclusive ownership of licensing rights. Ergo no more Z Engine, so no more Skullgirls outside of the mobile game.

Autumn might own the engine as well since they own the IP or they may have rights to the use the engine in the longterm, or maybe its in MikeZ's best interest to sell it or license it longterm as Im confident its going to be his only source of sustainable income in the coming years.

The engine could also be reverse engineered by this point, once SG mobile came out, other engineers were finally able to take a deep look at the engine and how it worked.

Theres a ton of workarounds around this, its not nearly as black and white as youre making it out to be.

Oct 25, 2017

You're pushing Mike Z's "Mike Z -IS- SKULLGIRLS" narrative pretty hard- considering how good the mobile game is I don't believe him anymore.

Jun 13, 2020
So he laid everyone off knowing full well that he doesn't even own the Skullgirls IP to use it as "leverage"? Is he gonna push the idea that the series needs him? Because it doesn't, he's not the only one capable of designing a fighting game.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
what's the story behind this? why'd he lay everyone off?
+1

I hat these OPs with zero context.
tl;dr Several top names in Lab Zero in solidarity with one another quit the company because Mike Z had a history of power abuse and predatory behavior. They originally wanted to oust him from the company following the "I can't breathe" incident as well as the accounts of Mike creeping on women in DMs, but they were unable to, so most of them quit. This is a followup of that story.

More info here:

www.resetera.com

Ex-Lab Zero Games employee claims Mike Z repeatedly abused power [UP1: Multiple Employees Resign] (UP2: Mike Z allegedly lays off remaining employees)

Twitter user's page features NSFW art, be advised before clicking "I'm leaving Lab Zero Games. Short version: Mike Z creates an unsafe work environment for everyone. He is the sole owner of Lab Zero Games, and removing him is difficult. He originally agreed to leave, but is unwilling to make a...

Last edited:

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
"Bu-bu-but Sonicfox had words with Mike Z, it's all good now!"

Not a good look for Sonic (who also backed Nakkiel), and fanboys need to stop being so gullible.
People didn't know about his history at Lab Zero back then. They kept it under wraps until recently. Even SonicFox told him to fuck off once all the deets came out.

FSP

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, United Kingdom
You're pushing Mike Z's "Mike Z -IS- SKULLGIRLS" narrative pretty hard- considering how good the mobile game is I don't believe him anymore.

There can be more content for the mobile game, or some entirely new game, but I'd be very surprised if it would be legal for Autumn to do further work on the current PC/PS4/Switch etc Skullgirls game without interacting w/ Mike Z for source code access. Given the engine was also used for Indivisible, which was published by 505, I don't think Autumn have legal control over it.

If Autumn have the ability to yoink the Z Engine out from Lab Zero at any time, that'd be one hell of a bad deal for Lab Zero as it existed prior to these shenanigans.

Mike Z isn't Skullgirls - if anything that would be Ahad, who has also been dropkicked from the project (last year) for apparently being rubbish. But the people that brought that to life, all the animators, Kinuko etc, should be able to get Annie of the Stars finished for the mobile game.

XaviConcept

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
How's the team holding up financially? Not to expect this from a fraud, but any severance?

Kinuko is gonna get them money for a reason, lol

I mean, back in the Reverge Labs days, the leads were making like 15k a year. Idnie life in the CA area fucking sucks, thats why most of the artists work the convention circuit and had to become independently noteworthy artists. I freelanced for them on my free time but thats why I always stuck to more "corporate" game jobs, youre giving up entirely too much in order to live out your indie game dreams.

Kotaku Update

Mzen

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Kotaku article regarding this mess

Mostly stuff we already knew about, with a couple of VERY important nuggets of new information:
According to former employees who asked to remain anonymous, this left Lab Zero with 11 employees, Zaimont included, but the general feeling in the studio was that the company was over. While several talented developers were left, losing style-defining artists like Kim, Cartwright, and Brian "EU03" Jun left a hole too big to fill, especially as the studio's reputation continued to sink. Work on a new project stalled, and many of the remaining employees apparently felt it was only a matter of time until either Zaimont or their publisher pulled the plug.

Followed by a statement from MikeZ himself:
"Unfortunately, Lab Zero was forced into layoffs because we were no longer able to meet our payroll obligations," Zaimont told Kotaku via email. "It is not a decision I made lightly. I personally know how hard it can be to find employment in a poorly performing economy, but we have more debt than cash, and the last thing I would ever do is not pay my hard-working colleagues or our partners for their work. We are exploring all funding options in hopes of bringing those team members back, but right now that's the reality."

So... any insiders willing to corroborate his version? I'm absolutely certain he's just trying to cover his ass and everything about this just screams hypocrisy to me, but it would be interesting to get some confirmation from someone who witnessed how everything went down.

Oct 25, 2017
So... any insiders willing to corroborate his version? I'm absolutely certain he's just trying to cover his ass and everything about this just screams hypocrisy to me, but it would be interesting to get some confirmation from someone who witnessed how everything went down.
Man is a compulsive fucking liar

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Wow this is crazy. That shit is done.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
Are we expecting a statement from 505 Games at any point since they published Indivisible?

Edit: According to the official Discord they don'tyet as a number of factors are being taken into consideration. I see...

Last edited:

lairo

May 28, 2020
Apparently there were some negotiations to buy him out and keep Lab Zero running without him, but he screwed around with trying to maximize the value of his buyout. Then people started quitting, and the value of Lab Zero started crashing, which wrecked his leverage. At a certain point, it probably became unlikely that Lab Zero would ever be employed to make games again, but Lab Zero apparently gets some sort of royalties on Indivisible, and might get some sort of royalties on Skullgirls, so if he fires everyone and becomes the sole owner/employee of Lab Zero, then he can drain all the remaining value from Lab Zero's lifeless husk. Whenever a royalty check comes in (however big it is), he pays himself with that money, since he's Lab Zero's only employee. As soon as the buyout option fell apart, with no future and just a past to leech, this was probably his best move. Probably coldly cynical, not a mental breakdown.

Ah royalties, I hadn't thought about that. That would explain it, while also being the dickest possible move. Tracks though.

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
So what happens with the Z Engine? As even though Mike Z doesn't own the IP, I am guessing he owns the engine?

Jan 16, 2018
Hope's Peak Academy
Lab Zero next made Indivisible, but it was paid for by a combination of 505 Games and crowdfunding. Apparently 505 Games owns the IP.
Actually, Indivisible was pretty notably owned by Lab Zero because according to Mike Z, Autumn Games withheld royalties from Lab Zero, which was their reason for why Skullgirls didn't get anything new. (However, Robo-Fortune existed after that statement if I remember correctly, and for some reason I don't see anyone like EU04 saying anything about that sort of thing when referring to Autumn games)

Jun 20, 2019
Did they lose a publishing deal or something? Suddenly finding yourself without the funds to meet payroll is tough to believe, particularly when half your payroll obligations walked out the door.

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Did they lose a publishing deal or something? Suddenly finding yourself without the funds to meet payroll is tough to believe, particularly when half your payroll obligations walked out the door.

They could have lost a deal of some kind because of this - many of the team members who left were art directors and lead animators who defined Lab Zero's style. If they had a new project on the go, the loss of those people likely killed it due to the studio's inability to deliver what was pitched and lost any potential deal that may have been on the table. All speculation and hypotheticals though.

Wireframe

Oct 28, 2017
UK
They could have lost a deal of some kind because of this - many of the team members who left were art directors and lead animators who defined Lab Zero's style. If they had a new project on the go, the loss of those people likely killed it due to the studio's inability to deliver what was pitched and lost any potential deal that may have been on the table. All speculation and hypotheticals though.
Pretty much agree with this, the people that left were huge.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Check the Fanbyte article

www.fanbyte.com

Lab Zero Workers, Skullgirls Players Detail Studio Owner's Toxic Behavior

Folks formerly at and close to Lab Zero, the studio behind Skullgirls, have come forward to describe the awful behavior of the company owner.

When Zaimont was confronted about his behavior, he did not take it well, according to his former coworkers. "He got incredibly angry with us for how we approached him about it — he said we just came down on him immediately without listening to his side of the story," O added. "Then the DMs happened… we were hoping that he would tell everyone how he wanted to prevent this from happening, how he might want to improve himself… he doubled down and said he can't change; he can't prevent it from happening."

"Like at that point, I think most of us would've been fine with Mike if he just apologized and said he would seek counseling or something, anything. But instead he doubled down on being the victim, stonewalling everyone, or throwing a tantrum," recalled X. "He didn't want to change, and he was insulted at anyone who suggested he even try to change."

When it was proposed that he leave the company, Zaimont initially seemed to go along with the idea. "I don't want to stay if people don't want me to stay," Zaimont wrote in a company memo shared with us. In a further message a few days later, he add that he was "not agitating to stay."

"Initially, Mike acknowledged the hurt he caused, apologized, explained that he now understands the power dynamic, and committed to leaving amicably," O recounted. "But over the course of negotiating his actual separation terms, it all fell apart."

Mike then sent messages asking the Lab Zero team to decide if he should stay or leave, but insisted on one-on-one meetings. "He kept demanding that he wanted people to talk to him directly, even though [certain] people absolutely did not want to talk to him ever again and already agreed to use other employees as intermediaries."

"From the beginning, [the majority] wanted him out. It was very clear. At every point of his own self narrative, he made it sound like someone wanted him to stay… Mike twisted that to mean 'Oh, they support me 100 percent.'"

One month later, Zaimont sent a memo to Lab Zero announcing his intent to stay.

"Your inability to make any reasonable choice is why my only option now is to stay," Zaimont wrote after multiple paragraphs using a bizarre GPU analogy in an attempt to explain why he planned to stick around.

https://www.fanbyte.com/?attachment_id=64684

It has an extract from his shitty letter in there too

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

www.fanbyte.com

Folks formerly at and close to Lab Zero, the studio behind Skullgirls, have come forward to describe the awful behavior of the company owner.

What a combination of the most disgusting emotional manipulation and straight desperation. This guy never for one second intended to put his ego aside and leave.

Absent

Oct 26, 2017

www.fanbyte.com

xmessage1.png,qx96128.pagespeed.ic.-auY5lE4jl.png

xmessage2.png,qx96128.pagespeed.ic.kM1RBtJqfn.png

Good god, this is moronic.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
the extract, at least, is complete nonsense. Given that it apparently runs to multiple pages, I would probably conclude the rest of it is utter lunacy as well