• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Its hard for some people to believe that a custom solution in a console thats an year away is faster than the fastest desktop PCs today. Its weird.

Rightfully so. After all, storage size matters a whole lot, too, and I don't care what yet another hype-man says, there aren't going to be some better than Optane SSD performance solutions with a reasonable next-gen storage capacity (500GB minimum) for a low enough cost suited for console production.

Especially so, when even a PCI-E 3 nvme SSD provides oodles of storage bandwidth. 3.5GB/s R/W would, in combination with the much better access times over HDDs (*edit, meant HDDs here) , be two worlds of difference already.

Going to like 10GB/s or something insane would have me wonder if the CPU and game Devs can even really draw a significant additional benefit out of it and thermals would likely pose another major problem.

Unless Sony really managed to completely destroy any currently existing formats while being able to produce at a cheap price, no less. In that case, hats off to them.

But I'll believe that when I personally see it, not when hype-men do their usual generational dance.

Last edited:

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
Rightfully so. After all, storage size matters a whole lot, too, and I don't care what yet another hype-man says, there aren't going to be some better than Optane SSD performance solutions with a reasonable next-gen storage capacity (500GB minimum) for a low enough cost suited for console production.

Especially so, when even a PCI-E 3 nvme SSD provides oodles of storage bandwidth. 3.5GB/s R/W would, in combination with the much better access times over SSDs, be two worlds of difference already.

Going to like 10GB/s or something insane would have me wonder if the CPU and game Devs can even really draw a significant additional benefit out of it and thermals would likely pose another major problem.

Unless Sony really managed to completely destroy any currently existing formats while being able to produce at a cheap price, no less. In that case, hats off to them.

But I'll believe that when I personally see it, not when hype-men do their usual generational dance.
I'd also add that consoles are all about compromises. Why would they shoot for the moon for top end technology that has limited benefits outside of content production and synthetic benchmarks.

Oct 25, 2017
I could see it.

The SSD will be customized for console and it will get rid of unneeded parts and provide devs with a different level of access. PC isn't able to utilize absolutely everything the SSD has to offer because there isn't a SSD baseline for all PCs.

Looking forward to the full reveal in a few months.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain

Especially so, when even a PCI-E 3 nvme SSD provides oodles of storage bandwidth. 3.5GB/s R/W would, in combination with the much better access times over SSDs, be two worlds of difference already.

I think it is at least 4 GB/s or more in real application.

Oct 25, 2017
Keep your expectations on a reasonable level and before anything gets officially benchmarked, take everything that gets posted or hinted at with reservations. :)
They won't. It's ResetERA we're talking about.
To be fair, there have been reserved expectations for almost everything next gen up to this point.

"They won't have SSDs"
"They won't have Ray Tracing"
"They won't be above 8TFs"
"They won't have anything better than GCN architecture"

Every single one of those was/will be blown out the water. So, if Sony is suggesting they have a top class SSD, why not entertain it at least?

johancruijff

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
a screenshot of a (removed?) youtube comment on a unidentified video, that couldn't be more vague, by a guy who was widely loathed up until the day before yesterday

ieinHJf.gif

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK

Exactly.

If Sony really have come up with something revolutionary in terms of R/W speed it's application to the PS5 will be small fry compared to the business Sony will be able to do with the big data-centre companies and other people who really care about I/O speed.

Like why waste this on a console when you could have every Blue Chip out there throwing money at you?

Well, installing will still be limited by the optical drive speed, but deleting is entirely on the SSD (not that on HDD it's that long anyway, ok my point is not the best one).

Deleting is practically instant on any kind of drive because data doesn't really get "deleted", the headers/pointers just get zeroed. "Deleting" things is not practically speaking an I/O operation, unless you're doing a secure deletion and actually zeroing everything out.

Install / uninstall speed is not going to improve a lot.

Nov 14, 2017
I have a lot of doubt about this post. But we'll put that aside.

You didn't challenge his assertion about power consumption. Very fast SSDs these days come with heat sinks. Do consoles have the power budget to feed such devices?
Yes. Look at the new Xbox. That thing must pull 200w, which is pretty much the limit on what consoles are allowed to do in the EU.

He also said his SSD-powered notebook takes half a minute or so to switch between Word and Excel, it's PR-blabla, Cerny isn't out truth-loving friend. And this could mean whatever, sure the PS5 could do something faster than a high end PC but we hear that for every new gen. Then reality happens and it isn't quite as exciting.

Better by what metrics exactly? And what are you putting on the line? Also the explanation for magical console tech being financially feasible seems to always be economy of scale which, no, everyone isn't forgetting, it's just that no matter how many millions you order of something there are limits, especially when we're talking about complex tech.
It's an integrated circuit. When the design is finalised, the cost of reproduction is just a factor of how much silicon is used. The controllers are tiny.

And, better in terms of IOPS/latency/throuput. Sony have already said that their SSD is better than anything PC builders can buy right now. There's no reason to believe Mark Cerny was lying.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Why is it hard to believe?

PCI-E 4.0 NVME drives go all the way up to 5GB/s thats bytes, not bits. It's not a stretch to believe they have reduced overheads by packing games or storing them in a way that is optimal for read speeds.

On PC you can buy 16X PCI-E 4.0 cards that put 4 NVME drives in RAID0 with large heatsinks and active cooling. Or you could put together multiple RAM disks. That is what you are competing against when you say "anything PC has ever seen".

If he had said "better than a typical gaming PC" then I would find it easier to believe.

Deleted member 10193

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On PC you can buy 16X PCI-E 4.0 cards that put 4 NVME drives in RAID0 with large heatsinks and active cooling. Or you could put together multiple RAM disks. That is what you are competing against when you say "anything PC has ever seen".

If he had said "better than a typical gaming PC" then I would find it easier to believe.
He's clearly talking about consumer/mainstream level PCs and not niche enthusiast stuff.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Yes it will. Unless you think Sony will match the numbers of installed units of PS4s in two years.

Also it's Diablo. They managed to make a very capable port of Diablo 3 to the switch.
It's not that simple though. As sales of the PS5 increase the active userbase of the PS4 will drop. And the kind of console gamers interested in Diablo 4 are highly likely to be among the group transitioning to next gen consoles within the first few years of its release. If D4 was scheduled for late 2020, then I could understand PS4 support. If it was late 2021, then... maaaaaybe, but it'd still be frustrating to know it was being held back a whole year into a new console generation. But we're genuinely looking at 2022+ for D4's release, where PS4 as a graphical standard makes absolutely no sense.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, there have been reserved expectations for almost everything next gen up to this point.

"They won't have SSDs"

Every single one of those was/will be blown out the water. So, if Sony is suggesting they have a top class SSD, why not entertain it at least?

Word. If anything most of the arguing has come from some PC players who can't believe what they're hearing and seeing about next gen consoles after the admittedly out of date at launch XB1 and PS4 hardware.

For console hardware both the Series X and PS5 are going to be absolutely insane.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
What does he mean by I/O? He means UI of the OS? or the connectivity inputs outputs of the console like the USB ports, camera ports and stuff like that?

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Dice dev says calm down, blizzard rep promising the moon. I know which of the two I think has a better idea of what a system can do.

Btw, please don't look at this as a one vs another saying something. I was referring to people here to not go wild until we know more official information. :)

GhostofWar

Apr 5, 2019
Btw, please don't look at this as a one vs another saying something. I was referring to people here to not go wild until we know more official information. :)

I honestly didn't mean it to come off like that, if you think it will cause any kind of bullshit for you i'll delete it it's not what I intended.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Word. If anything most of the arguing has come from some PC players who can't believe what they're hearing and seeing about next gen consoles after the admittedly out of date at launch XB1 and PS4 hardware.

For console hardware both the Series X and PS5 are going to be absolutely insane.
Looking at the Next Gen thread now, people are claiming PS5 will have a 14 TF GPU with 24GB's of RAM, 8/16 of that being HBM2, for as low as $399, some times you need to be conservative, especially after SX is only using 16GB's of RAM, which is smaller than anybody ever thought for a NG Console.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of doubt being thrown around in here for some reason.

This statement from Ybarra corroborates what Cerny said about their customized SSD having more raw bandwidth than any other on PC", and it makes sense completely. PS5 is the baseline hardware. They can work on a solution that gives them lightning fast performance in read speeds (write speeds not so important here) without having to look at supporting the various different configurations of hardware, like with PC hardware.

Sony internally are positioning the PS5 as "the world's fastest gaming console". We've heard from them before that they feel like they feel like PC is their biggest competitor. PC hardware continues to be a moving target so looking for custom solutions which keeps them relatively on par (even for a short while) is not some crazy move.

Super Barrier

Nov 20, 2017
I believe him. PS5 is making it tough for me to decide which console to get. Their custom loading solution seems to be lightning fast.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its hilarious to me how many PC gamers are guffawing at the prospects of the new consoles potentially exceeding PC tech when developers who are actually hands on in the trenches with these things are the ones saying it. It's not like random Joe from a gaming message board is making these claims. These are seasoned developers with years and years in the business.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
I don't fully understand how PS5 will enhance the flavor of my Double Double and Animal Fries, but I welcome it.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017

"They won't have SSDs"

I remember last gen around 2011-12 when people were throwing around next-gen speculations, and anyone who said PS4 would have 4GB GDDR5 memory were being laughed out of the room because highest end cards back then had 1.5-2GB at best. These things are always hilarious in the hindsight.

Status
Not open for further replies.