• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Why is it hard to believe?

PCI-E 4.0 NVME drives go all the way up to 5GB/s thats bytes, not bits. It's not a stretch to believe they have reduced overheads by packing games or storing them in a way that is optimal for read speeds.

Because those drives are expensive and they run very hot even under normal conditions.

People who think they're getting 970s evo pluses likes in consoles are drinking that kool aid.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Keep your expectations on a reasonable level and before anything gets officially benchmarked, take everything that gets posted or hinted at with reservations. :)

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Why is it hard to believe?

PCI-E 4.0 NVME drives go all the way up to 5GB/s thats bytes, not bits. It's not a stretch to believe they have reduced overheads by packing games or storing them in a way that is optimal for read speeds.
Its hard for some people to believe that a custom solution in a console thats an year away is faster than the fastest desktop PCs today. Its weird.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Because those drives are expensive and they run very hot even under normal conditions.

People who think they're getting 970s evo pluses likes in consoles are drinking that kool aid.
yeah. for this to be true PS5's would either be like $1,000, have some kind of secret crazy advancement in drive tech, or, you know, not be true

i expect the drives in the next gen consoles to be good and fast (especially compared to how drives were at the start of this gen, i think that was a big learning moment moving forward), but this claim seems suspect

Oct 28, 2017
Cerny got vindicated last gen, and their aim was quite conservative. Hopefully the engineering team got a lot more ambitious this time around 💪🏾

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
What I look forward to is if people do a 180 and love the guy now. When he clearly was just a guy in a job doing the best he can.

Cant wait to see the unveiling of the ps5

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Mike is not being biased here at all. He's simply speaking about the reality that consoles have more flexibility in their design and can be customized and optimized for I/O throughput... in which it appears Sony is going all out.

Oct 25, 2017
If it's true, that's great, can't wait for similar tech to be affordable on PC. Just got my first SSD this Black Friday, and it's a cheaper one, but it made such a huge difference in overall PC usability.

I didn't really mind gaming load times on my 7200RPM HDD, though, it's more just stuff like booting up the PC, time until it's ready to properly use, Windows Updates slowing things to a crawl, Steam unpacking not being worth it... you know, general usability.

So I have to imagine that if it's indeed a leap even from high end drivers, it was more a consequence of them seeking a solution that runs a little cooler or something like that, and even ended up with better performance. Because I can't imagine it would be worth it to just skyrocket their production price just to have "better than SSD speeds". Cheap ass SSDs are already fantastic, and coupled with a decent CPU, will be such a MASSIVE leap for consoles. Doesn't seem like it'd be worth it to pursue performance in that area for performance's sake. A decent CPU with an HDD is already a considerable difference in loading times for many games compared to the PS4.

But whatever, what matters is: People who have only played on consoles so far are in for a treat when they boot up their machines for the first time.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Its hard for some people to believe that a custom solution in a console thats an year away is faster than the fastest desktop PCs today. Its weird.
Could be because this happens every single console cycle... Go watch some videos of the PS3 reveal, or the Xbox one... Both hypemen from inside the company, and random 'experts' all come out before a system is released with all of this information about how the new consoles will compete with PCs multiple times more expensive than the consoles.

As for this specific claim, I'm not sure how much faster you can genuinely get when your storage is connected directly to the CPU via PCI-E lanes (nvme). Either from a latency, or bandwidth standpoint. Nor am i sure even if it DOES that it would be a noticable improvement over current PC drives (as others have said, PCI-E 4 can do 5GB a second).

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
I think since you don't care about write speed in a console, they can improve random read speeds quite a bit. Sequential read/write that everyone mentions and benches don't matter for application during run time, random read matters and right now even nvme drives can't reach even sata3 limits on random i/o let alone pcie3, it's probably not about pcie4. That's not much of a factor.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Keep your expectations on a reasonable level and before anything gets officially benchmarked, take everything that gets posted or hinted at with reservations. :)
Interesting seeing as how you likely have access to the dev kits. My expectations were already at a reasonable level since we all know these consoles have to be sold at a reasonable price.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Neat. Wonder if they will have a minimum speed requirement for external drives.

Alexious

Executive Editor for Games at Wccftech
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
And I mean, Mark Cerny said it when he announced the PS5. He said the SSD was more performant that what achievable on PC nowadays, I doubt he would just lie when it's so easy to verify.

That's the thing, he didn't say he verified the information. He could have been just referring to Cerny's own statement, so I wouldn't take it as a confirmation of any kind.

Nov 8, 2017

Not the exact same tech but there was talk of the PS5 maybe using an ultrafast cache drive + a larger pool of slower storage, not dissimilar to how optane works for the end user. I don't recall if this was just speculation though. Most likely. If correct it would possibly explain how they would be able to viably afford to have some kind of ultrafast beyond-PC storage in a mainstream box - it wouldn't necessarily be superior for every situation, but they could still claim the optimal speeds for marketing purposes.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
Could, but historically this has never been the case.

There is a very strong correlation between IO bandwidth and power consumption. Given the limited TDP capabilities of consoles, I have my doubts.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Well, while I doubt this claim is 100% true, I'm optimistic and hopeful that next-gen console I/O in final consumer spec will at least be comparable to what's on offer on consumer PCs by the end of 2020, but I feel like it has to be a bit delusional to believe it stays competitive for more than the first couple of years into the generation.

But if anything, I love this point in time where we can run wild with hopes and speculation, and I feel so good about the state of competition between the platforms and how spirited they seem without any sort of precedent to promote cutthroat rhetoric. Last gen's introduction WAS fun as Microsoft's initial response set their house on fire and Sony poked at it — I was absolutely invested in that — but the course of this generation has ultimately had me moving to a place of great appreciation for the state of the major three, I was totally invested in the sense of unity at last year's TGAs, and I've gone through 2019 building hopes that all three navigate into next gen with really strong offerings that are bolstered by a sense of respect and kinship that seems to have formed among the major brands lately. It feels to me like Sony and Microsoft have grown into cross-endeared rivals and not bitter enemies, and both kind of feel like they respect the girth of the market that Nintendo dominates with their own vision of what contemporary gaming looks like.

Of course, it is entirely possible that I'm being a delusional, corporate-brand-worshipping fool, but that's how I see it, and it's making this early phase of next-gen feel that much more exciting and kind of fresh.

Oct 27, 2017
As with most benchmarks, these will always be best case scenario. These consoles will have a very optimised environment (unlike PCs), so thing like I/O should always in theory be faster.

The numbers always change when all the other factors come into play. There will always be a bottleneck at some stage, developers will always chose to exploit one particular part of the resources available.

Nov 14, 2017

Everyone is just looking at consumer prices. First, volume NAND prices are something like 5 cents per gigabyte. The cost of PCIe4.0 NVME drives is just because they are so low volume. Sony will be ordering millions of the SSD controller, so will benefit from volume prices.

I bet the SSD in both next gen consoles will be a terabyte, and be better than any SSD you can buy for PC today.

Secondly, graphics cards are relatively overpriced compared to how expensive they are to make - it's just that both Nvidia and AMD want to maintain their margins. Again, Sony and MS will get great prices from AMD because they are ordering tens of millions of parts. Having the console business is basically what allows AMD to maintain margins in the PC graphics card space - otherwise they'd probably have to get even more aggressive on price compared to Nvidia, who tend to compete on best overall performance . Still, cards like the 5700XT already offer significant value compared to equivalent Nvidia parts like the 2070 Super, so they are still competing on price.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
The thing is I get that it'll be fast as shit but these statements like this are setting themselves up for unnecessary comparisons we have consumer ssd on pci 3.0 running 3.5gb/s already, with pci 4.0 just starting to hit 5gb/s and that's just in the consumer space. Could Sonys proprietary system be faster, sure of course but they are making a console not a Netflix server. If its 3gb/s for a $400 machine or 5gb/s for a $800 console then wtf was the point. At a certain price point it doesn't make sense because you begin to invade the pc space and you don't wanna be there price wise because pc will win as you get higher and time goes on.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone is just looking at consumer prices. First, volume NAND prices are something like 5 cents per gigabyte. The cost of PCIe4.0 NVME drives is just because they are so low volume. Sony will be ordering millions of the SSD controller, so will benefit from volume prices.

I bet the SSD in both next gen consoles will be a terabyte, and be better than any SSD you can buy for PC today.

Secondly, graphics cards are relatively overpriced compared to how expensive they are to make - it's just that both Nvidia and AMD want to maintain their margins. Again, Sony and MS will get great prices from AMD because they are ordering tens of millions of parts. Having the console business is basically what allows AMD to maintain margins in the PC graphics card space - otherwise they'd probably have to get even more aggressive on price compared to Nvidia, who tend to compete on best overall performance . Still, cards like the 5700XT already offer significant value compared to equivalent Nvidia parts like the 2070 Super, so they are still competing on price.
I have a lot of doubt about this post. But we'll put that aside.

You didn't challenge his assertion about power consumption. Very fast SSDs these days come with heat sinks. Do consoles have the power budget to feed such devices?

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Oh please. That phrasing totally is a hype builder and not as much substance to it. I will take very opportunity to hit on each dramatic statement like this since it can be total nonsense until its proven to be true.

thirtypercent

Oct 18, 2018
And I mean, Mark Cerny said it when he announced the PS5. He said the SSD was more performant that what achievable on PC nowadays, I doubt he would just lie when it's so easy to verify.

He also said his SSD-powered notebook takes half a minute or so to switch between Word and Excel, it's PR-blabla, Cerny isn't out truth-loving friend. And this could mean whatever, sure the PS5 could do something faster than a high end PC but we hear that for every new gen. Then reality happens and it isn't quite as exciting.

Better by what metrics exactly? And what are you putting on the line? Also the explanation for magical console tech being financially feasible seems to always be economy of scale which, no, everyone isn't forgetting, it's just that no matter how many millions you order of something there are limits, especially when we're talking about complex tech.

Chick3n

Nov 6, 2018
i don't think it's marketing, but he could just be regurgitating a marketing point he was told by someone else. you don't have to work for a company to speak in their marketing speak. you don't even have to do it consciously
I'm pretty sure that's all he's doing. "Could" be better and based on what Sony's shown. I doubt he'd be leaking anything and is just referring to what Sony has already said publicly.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
If PS5 is so amazing, it makes me wonder even more why Blizzard is making Diablo 4 for current gen...

Status
Not open for further replies.