• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Related feeling for the responses so far:

DFMpZeP.gif

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Why does Game Pass make so many people salty? Like, how much of a diehard console warrior to you have to be to complain about an optional service that has zero impact on non-subscribers?

If MS canceled Game Pass there would be a sizeable contingent of people on this board who would say "Good!" and that is insane if you think about it.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Ybarra knows how to unleash some discussion. First the PC tweets, then the VR tweet. Now this.

He's having too much fun.

I don't think Netflix' first years goals was to make much money, it was about getting people into the ecosystem, get third party involved, etc.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Not about money short term. It's in growth phase. Right now it's about mindshare and credibility. Means doing whatever it takes to get consumers and developers on board. They will lose money on Game Pass for a few years. Goal is to reach critical mass. If it becomes the leader in these types of services in the way Netflix is, they'll make tons of money long term.

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not about making money now. It's about selling consumers on the service.

The money part comes later when Game Pass is so far ahead everyone else is fighting second place.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Why does Game Pass make so many people salty? Like, how much of a diehard console warrior to you have to be to complain about an optional service that has zero impact on non-subscribers?

If MS canceled Game Pass there would be a sizeable contingent of people on this board who would say "Good!" and that is insane if you think about it.

Never seen someone on resetera complain about Gamepass like that? Just some people who say it isn't for them. Which is fair.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
if it's not about making money please send me an xbox one so i too can experience the delight that is the gamerpass

ConHaki66

Oct 27, 2017
The other site and era are no different in regards to xbox, always a vacuum of people spreading bs

Deleted member 41104

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Mar 15, 2018
I can get that right now it isn't that much about making money, but rather getting people and developers into the service.

But of course the endgame must be making money, one way or the other.

This thread is off to a great start though !!

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course it's about money or else it should be free.

Ybarra knows how to unleash some discussion. First the PC tweets, then the VR tweet. Now this.

He's having too much fun.

I don't think Netflix' first years goals was to make much money, it was about getting people into the ecosystem, get third party involved, etc.

What VR and PC tweets?

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He probably crossed thoughts in his head, not about making profit over getting subscribers and developers on board to a much bigger level first. One part PR fail, the rest is fine.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I'd be interested to see how publishers really feel about gamepass as it can be viewed as devaluation of new games.

Data shows more game sales for Game Pass subscribers. Easy to see why. If Game Pass increases engagment, more opportunities to sell products to customers. It devalues games the way Black Friday doorbusters devalue the rest of their inventory. It doesn't.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
I think Ybarra is being very transparent here. He was responding to someone questioning whether the service is making MS any money and honestly, it probably isn't. So why is MS continuing Game Pass when they are not making any money or potentially losing money.

Let's not forget that anyone in the USA and a lot of there countries can get both Xbox LIVE Gold and Game PASS for free by just using Bing rewards. Streaming services in general have been money dumps so there are other factors at work here.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
It's a subscription service, of course it's about making money, the more they put up on the service the less likely it is that people will cancel their subscription, and millions of monthly subscribers is a lot of money.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Nice. They certainly seem to be doing a great job so far. I can only imagine how big this will be at the start of next gen.

naitosan

Oct 28, 2017
lol at some responses here. A twitter predicts gamepass will increase to 15$/month by the end of the year. Mike said he predicted wrong. So basically it's not just about making money, it's also giving developer a large audience to experience their games and giving consumer some delight with gaming.

That's my take.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
lol at some responses here. A twitter predicts gamepass will increase to 15$/month by the end of the year. Mike said he predicted wrong. So basically it's not just about making money, it's also giving developer a large audience to experience their games and giving consumer some delight with gaming.

That's my take.

They wouldn't care about giving developers a large audience and "consumer delight" if they didn't expect these factors to become important when it comes to making money down the line.
You can be certain that a major company like Microsoft does literally nothing out of any other reason than profit. Just sometimes its short term and sometimes its long term.

But none of this changes the fact that its great for consumers. At least at the moment.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

That's my take.
Sometimes I feel like cynicism is a contest and gamers are consistently trying to step on each other to win, lol. I got the same thing out of the tweet. They could raise the price, but the accessibility of the current price-point is more important to their goal than jacking up the price and potentially losing customers.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
What sort of things does "etc" involve?

- Marketing it.
- Building content for the service in an aggressive manner

Just as for Gamepass; we'll see real growth in the service once their content plans really start. They need more studios than they have right now. They need a couple of pillars to lure people into their subscription service. The likes of Gears, Fable and Halo. Netflix has all kinds of productions. From 'shovelware' to blockbuster hit series. Gamepass needs content like that. But, unlike Netflix they'll need a better curation. The service doesn't need all kinds of mediocre content. That kind of content is still available at the platform to buy. Gamepass has to be a service with a diverse library of current hits and classics.

Currently Microsoft Studios has 12 studios. I think they'll need at least 16 studios able to build one game per 4 years to maintain a healthy subscription service. That way they have one game per 3 months. From smaller games like ReCore to bigger titles as Gears of War or Forza Horizon. And then they can fill the rest of the months with indie titles like Ashen and Mutant Year Zero.

And when people have grown into the idea of a subscription service, when streaming becomes more viable and when Microsoft Studios has grown into a better output, I'm sure they'll reap the benefits.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Curious about the long term impact of Gamepass and similar services since you can link the death of indie sales on PS4 and XB1 to indie games flooding PS+ and GWG

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
I like their initiative but money definitely plays a role, if not now then for the long term.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're probably losing money, they would rather have people pay for each game than to give it away on day 1

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes I feel like cynicism is a contest and gamers are consistently trying to step on each other to win, lol. I got the same thing out of the tweet. They could raise the price, but the accessibility of the current price-point is more important to their goal than jacking up the price and potentially losing customers.

It's quite a talent gamers have for taking every quote at face value, failing to read between the lines or to read context, and the subsequent outrage!

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's probably true that Gamepass by itself is not set out to make money. It's to build good will and audience that will choose Xbox as their platform.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netflix lost money for years or is still losing money
They could always plan to break even with GamePass and make money in other ways by having a larger install base

Yeah that's pretty much what I thought of. They're willing to lose money for a long while to build up an eventual install base. Basically what Netflix and Amazon did.

Status
Not open for further replies.