• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I get that thought but let's be honest here for a second and admit that people want a reason to bitch about MS no matter what and they're blowing this out of proportion.

Again with the persecution complex from some. What you're describing certainly isn't exclusive to Microsoft, it's just gamer outrage or backlash culture in general. Were one of the Sony execs to tweet something like this, it would get just as much backlash. It's time to step out of your bubble.

It might just feel like there's more negativity around Microsoft in the last week or so because of a combination of Crackdown 3's reception (which comes after a bout of tentpole releases being less spectacularly received, plus some big cancellations) and then tweets like this (which add further fuel to the fire). Simply put, Microsoft are simply doing things that garner negativity, as with Sony's crossplay stuff, or Nintendo's online features or stingey DLC etc.

Last edited:

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
a8d0cce7-73ca-4a42-b4df-4a900d2e3834.jpg

Anthem-Hero.jpg

..or because he's a massive fan. He's been playing the game on PC for hours and hours and has been tweeting about it for weeks now.

(I don't agree with his tweets by the way, just think Ybarra isn't that much of a corporate shill. He has also enraged the Xbox community by streaming God of War :D :') )

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
..or because he's a massive fan. He's been playing the game on PC for hours and hours and has been tweeting about it for weeks now.

(I don't agree with his tweets by the way, just think Ybarra isn't that much of a corporate shill. He has also enraged the Xbox community by streaming God of War :D :') )
As I've said before Ybarra is the guy that got shit for playing and streaming God of War at launch, he's not a corporate slave.

onanie

Oct 27, 2017
So every time someone writes a bad review of an Xbox game this guy will criticize the media on Twitter or is just in this case?
Pretty sure he's not going to do it again. Going by history of other Microsoft executives, Phil Spencer has done it once, while Shannon Loftis has done it once. In public, at least.

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
I mean.. He's not wrong about reviewers. Maybe he overstates it but he's right about making up your own mind by watching the game. I think reviews can be helpful but reviewers tend to have different things that they want to get out of games these days than my preferences. For instance a lot of reviewers really don't review competitive MP games well unless the game in question has a big player base then they sort of jump on the bandwagon. Reviewers can't quantify more subjective things like fun but they can speak to narrative things and presentation.

Reviews are a good tool before you buy and so I think mike overstated his frustration with some reviewers but one thing that is abundantly clear to me now is that reviewers can take their work too seriously. Get over yourself. You just play games and write about it. You aren't the standard of quality.

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
The funny thing is, like if attacking a single one reviewer like that was not enough wrong that you need to make it pass for Ybarra attacking all kind of criticism against the game.

It's an embarrassing headline. Being petty and shady is not a very good way to counter a Microsoft exec being petty and shady.
Ybarra isn't even being petty or shady, though. It's his own personal account where he's able to post his thoughts on anything.
You are claiming it is only reason why this thread is so popular. I am claiming those people are minority and people are right to criticize Mike on this.
People are criticizing him for the wrong reasons, thinking he's only doing this because his company has marketing rights for the game. Not everything these guys say are personally on behalf of their company.

Besides, he's absolutely right. Maybe if reviewers weren't idiots and knew how to play the game they're reviewing, people would take them more seriously.

DaeJim

Founder LifeisXbox.eu
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I go away for three days and I come back and see the internet explode for something ridicules. I 100% agree with Mike that a reviewer should at least have some knowledge about the game before reviewing it. That's the entire point, the reviewer didn't even know how to do a combo...

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017

I'm pretty sure, in the pecking order of his brain, his career takes precedence over some video games he likes to play in his spare time. It's not about corporate shilling; he's a vice president. Of course failed marketing deals bother him.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
User Warned: System Wars
Again with the persecution complex from some. What you're describing certainly isn't exclusive to Microsoft, it's just gamer outrage or backlash culture in general. Were one of the Sony execs to tweet something like this, it would get just as much backlash. It's time to step out of your bubble.

It might just feel like there's more negativity around Microsoft in the last week or so because of a combination of Crackdown 3's reception (which comes after a bout of tentpole releases being less spectacularly received, plus some big cancellations) and then tweets like this (which add further fuel to the fire). Simply put, Microsoft are simply doing things that garner negativity, as with Sony's crossplay stuff, or Nintendo's online features or stingey DLC etc.

Whatever lie you want to tell yourself champ. Had this been Sony not only would this not got half as many replies but most of the Sony fans who are demonizing Mike here would be defending whoever said it.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure, in the pecking order of his brain, his career takes precedence over some video games he likes to play in his spare time. It's not about corporate shilling; he's a vice president. Of course failed marketing deals bother him.
The guy tweets about playing on his Switch, he's streamed God of War, he's tweeted positive stuff about games with Sony marketing deals etc.

Maybe he just likes games.

onanie

Oct 27, 2017
I go away for three days and I come back and see the internet explode for something ridicules. I 100% agree with Mike that a reviewer should at least have some knowledge about the game before reviewing it. That's the entire point, the reviewer didn't even know how to do a combo...
Hey, can I introduce you to More Butter? Apparently you "just play games and write about it. You aren't the standard of quality". That is what was understood from the tweets. I think he gets what "modern" reviews are supposed to be.

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
Again these tinfoil theories. I see only people defending Mike here are big Microsoft fans. Maybe it is time to look in mirror?

Ofc we have people here who enjoy this and just wanna reason to bitch about MS, but those are still minority
Tinfoil theories? Mike critiques a reviewer's take on a game he likes and everyone says it's because it's an MS marketed game. Thats tinfoil crap.

Mike is a gamer who said something mildly controversial maybe and people are ramping up the twitter call out crap against him as if he did something seriously bad.

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
If that was the case, why is this the first time he's ever done anything like this? Again, it's his own personal account. I doubt even his higher ups were happy with what he said.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
Man the lack of self awareness in this post knows no bounds lol

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
This is Anthem we are talking about.

Yeah but no.
So he's willing to promote a game of his direct rival and shit on a review only because Microsoft interests?

Yeah but no. He's personally invested in the game because he loves it. His tweets are wrong and there's no need to look for malicious intentions.

This tweet is valid now too

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
My issue is how he expressed his opinion. He has every right to have the opinion he has, regardless of his title. However, because of his title, he should be aware that he represents his company at all times, so his behavior should always be conducted with civility. This is really Business Fundamentals 101.

krang

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1. He shouldn't have said that
2. He's probably not wrong
3. We all clearly need something more interesting to rant about

Conor

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree with some of the criticisms of his tweets, but the replies to the modern review tweet, implying that he is encouraging people to only listen to streamers paid to promote the game, are completely unfair. Most streamers are not paid to promote it. It did come across as an attack on traditional reviews, I agree, but he is not wrong, talking to friends about a game, watching people play, and trying a trial of demo are all useful tools to help decide if you want to buy a game and they always have been.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna need someone to explain how does him playing other nonMS games makes this okay or even on-topic.

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
My issue is how he expressed his opinion. He has every right to have the opinion he has, regardless of his title. However, because of his title, he should be aware that he represents his company at all times, so his behavior should always be conducted with civility. This is really Business Fundamentals 101.
It's his own personal account, though. The only opinions he's stating are his own, not those of his company. Mike isn't the PR department. Just because he works for the company, doesn't mean he can't also enjoy games, hold opinions or have to keep his opinions hidden.

If people don't realize that what he says is what he believes, and not what his business represents, that's their problem.

onanie

Oct 27, 2017
It's his own personal account, though. The only opinions he's stating are his own, not those of his company. Mike isn't the PR department. Just because he works for the company, doesn't mean he can't also enjoy games, hold opinions or have to keep his opinions hidden.

If people don't realize that what he says is what he believes, and not what his business represents, that's their problem.
That is not how twitter works in the real world, mate.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand the thought process behind putting that on Twitter. Say that shit to your pals over a few beers. Be professional in public ffs

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
Would that not be the game's fault for not properly explaining its various systems to people?
Eh, if they had trouble understanding, there's probably a controls or hints tab in the menu for a review.

Lots of reviewers just are not putting the effort in. I've played lots of games that don't "hold your hand"(hate that term tbh) and just expect you to figure shit out. Never been as clueless as people who "review" games professionally. They deserve to be called out.

That is not how twitter works in the real world, mate.
Yes it is, as long as it's not vulgar or offensive. Twitter is for expressing your opinion. This wasn't posted by the official Xbox account or anything.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
I'm gonna need someone to explain how does him playing other nonMS games makes this okay or even on-topic.
Nobody is saying that. We are saying that he wrote awful tweets because he likes the game and got angry with a review not because that's his way to protect the interests of Microsoft.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
Eh, if they had trouble understanding, there's probably a controls or hints tab in the menu for a review.

Lots of reviewers just are not putting the effort in. I've played lots of games that don't "hold your hand"(hate that term tbh) and just expect you to figure shit out. Never been as clueless as people who "review" games professionally. They deserve to be called out.

Yes it is, as long as it's not vulgar or offensive. Twitter is for expressing your opinion. This wasn't posted by the official Xbox account or anything.

Co-signed.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017

Dude you are basing all of this off conjecture?
Maybe actually read the posts by actual journalists/reviewers in this very fucking thread on where and how the info on the combos is presented before continuing to shitpost.

Jfc we have people in this thread saying the value of what a person says depends on their achievements/trophies ... Era has become a dumpsterfire.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Isn't his job to protect the interests of Microsoft?
If protecting the interests of Microsoft were his job all the time then he should't play games of their rivals in public. If we make connections about his job here, then we should make the same when he plays or promote non Microsoft related games.

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017
Take this example: Overwatch tutorial and tips are garbage/outdated and yet it won GOTY.

Basically you need to git gud at these games. Simple concept really.

It's almost like there are more problems with anthem than just the bad tutorials, they just happen to also be sprinkles on the shit sundae.

if Anthem had better tutorials, its not going to win GOTY because of it

It's not even an equivalent comparison

The game has on screen prompts at all times telling you which buttons are for your two main skills, a prompt telling you what button is melee at all times, and during the in game "onboarding" or tutorial or whatever you want to call it, tells you how to left trigger/right trigger and how to jump

The "review doesn't even know how to do combos" isn't a real criticism because any of the possibly relevant reviews, they discuss that the game goes out of its way to NOT teach you the shit

It doesn't tell you in the same manner how the combo system is utilized or how it works. I got my first big one on my colossus when I shot my E ability at a group, and like 10 of them got hit so I figured combos were just done by hitting multiple dudes all at once with specific powers.

it's not that. I've learned since exactly how they work and what they do because of the very good reddit post

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm howling at this... "Shut it you bloodthirsty illiterates, if you bothered to learn how to read you'd see that there is more to the wisdoms of this corporate exec!"

It's a backpedal 7 hours LATER. It's not context, it's damage control.

At worst it's PR mandated clarification since people are running with headlines and posting out of context readings into a partial conversation.

Dude made an error (for his position) pointing out that doing a task in a game is easy and that someone critiquing the game shouldn't be publishing their ignorance at accomplishing said task. He's not wrong in this critique of the reviewer and everyone has a right to that critique, but a person in his position and the partnership between his company and the game generates really bad optics. It's important to note that he didn't actually identify the reviewer, review or site that published the review as that would have been much worse.

The second tweet was a response to a question about him literally giving a personal review (critique) of the game.

At this point Mike puts his exec hat back on and even if he did offer reviews, he knows that it's extremely unprofessional to give a critique from a upcoming/prerelease product from a partner. He says he doesn't do "reviews" which I'm going to imply he means critiques since he's directly responding to a critique of the game, that asks for his personal critique of the game. Then he suggests "modern reviews" which come off as more modern ways to gather impressions. Specifically stating "watching watching streamers play a game, doing the demo, listening to what your gaming friends think". These three suggestion are all more modern than the more established written a critique of a game. They are also all valid ways to garner an impression of a game.

Then the Internet comes in to obscure the context of a reply.

Now the proletariat internet has created a gotcha moment against their bourgeoisie oppressor. Instead of somewhat sassy reply to finding other ways to gather impressions outside of critiques, we now have a total dismissal of the arcane review process when compared to bought and paid for streamers...

Hours later PR or marketing probably get a hold of Mike and asks him to clarify and clean up his remarks and add in that other advertising arm of the publishers known as "journalistic reviews" as the internet has their pitchforks out and you need to remind reviewers that we're still in bed with them too.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe actually read the posts by actual journalists/reviewers in this very fucking thread on where and how the info on the combos is presented before continuing to shitpost.

Jfc we have people in this thread saying the value of what a person says depends on their achievements/trophies ... Era has become a dumpsterfire.

That was me BTW. You sound really tilted by what I wrote. You ok?

Sexyphobe

Banned
Aug 14, 2018
:D
Isn't his job to protect the interests of Microsoft?
While at work, yeah. Not off the clock. Then again it's not like he got piss-drunk and berated Sony or EA or anything. This doesn't hurt anyone.

There's a difference between criticizing the way the game explains something to you, and going through the whole thing not knowing how to do a combo. Achievements can be a good way to gague skill in certain games with what you've unlocked, it can be valuable.

After shit like Quantum Break (people playing it like a cover shooter), Nier (saying the game was over only after the end of playthrough A), and Resident Evil 2 (clearly labelled Scenario B as "New Run" and IGN missed that) I'm not going to give them the benefit of doubt.

Games

Oct 27, 2017
My fellow combros,

I propose you play the game and see how little the mechanic matters and how poorly it's explained before jumping to the defence of a Vice President of a huge corporation.

What if I were to tell you I knew about combos throughout my entire playthrough, but found skills that did not combo (of which there are several, I assume they are balanced accordingly and give higher DPS by default, but didn't bother to check) to be more fun?

Yes, I admit it, I chose having fun with my class over waiting for one specific left bumper ability to recharge before firing off one specific right bumper ability. For that I apologise, I am immensely sorry my dear combros. If I did not do this I would have thought even less of the bug ridden mess than I already do, as I would have had far less fun with it.

However I now see the light. I understand that getting slightly more damage from the application of a combo is our one true saviour.

Anthem, I upgrade you from broken mess/10 to 10/10.

Deleted member 1273

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My fellow combros,

I propose you play the game and see how little the mechanic matters and how poorly it's explained before jumping to the defence of a Vice President of a huge corporation.

What if I were to tell you I knew about combos throughout my entire playthrough, but found skills that did not combo (of which there are several, I assume they are balanced accordingly and give higher DPS by default, but didn't bother to check) to be more fun?

Yes, I admit it, I chose having fun with my class over waiting for one specific left bumper ability to recharge before firing off one specific right bumper ability. For that I apologise, I am immensely sorry my dear combros. If I did not do this I would have thought even less of the bug ridden mess than I already do, as I would have had far less fun with it.

However I now see the light. I understand that getting slightly more damage from the application of a combo is our one true saviour.

Anthem, I upgrade you from broken mess/10 to 10/10.
Now go watch one of the three people streaming anthem so you can have an unbiased opinion
Xbox-One-S-Anthem-Bundle.jpg

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017

I thought my post was clear that it was not the message that was the issue, it was how it was delivered. I'm not arguing that he can't have a personal opinion. Every business ever will tell their employees that they represent their employer, even when they are not at work. I could come up with countless examples like this.

At the end of the day, though, I'm not gonna stress or get excited over a shitty Tweet. Those happen literally every second of the day. I have a lot of problems with social media, in general, but that's not what this thread is about.

Last edited: