• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Derfy

Oct 27, 2017
Later on in the thread he recommends people watch streamers instead of reading reviews

It's almost like Xbox spent a lot on the marketing rights to a mediocre game and he's doing whatever he can to discredit the apparently deserved middling reviews

He says people should try demo and ask friends but it doesnt feed your narrative...

Dec 2, 2017
Actually looking through this thread and his original tweet a fair amount of the responses are saying exactly that..
EA went hard after literally every single Destiny streamer & podcaster mid-level and up as influencers, flying them all over, getting them all to do videos, etc. It's fair to point out that there's an agenda in his criticism. A lot of those streamers are motivated to stay positive- or at least neutral - about Anthem because they want to grow their channels beyond just Destiny and don't want to alienate the audience. Many of them have said as much (the wanting to branch out part).

Cynn

Oct 27, 2017
He's entitled to his opinion, but given his position, I don't think he should have posted this.
He shouldn't have, but he isn't wrong.

Era will dogpile this to infinity just to shit on Xbox as a brand but game reviews by incompetent journalists are a problem. Things like the RE2 second play through and watching video reviews where the reviewer can barely walk in a straight line little on play the game correctly such as what happened with Doom is an embarrassment.

It's like watching Top Gear but the driver slams the car being evaluated into a ditch and then says switching gears is too confusing. That's modern game reviews at most outlets.

His suggestion to look to your friends who's tastes you align with or streamers who actually know how to play the game is spot on. Find sources for information that actually understand the product being evaluated. If in the rare case there's a demo that's the best way of all.

In today's low attention span, clickbait focused, online media landscape professional reviews do not exist. These outlets can't survive on that type of content. It's not even their fault.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
8NmM2fy.png

huh he seems to like reviews well enough when it's xbox games getting good scores 🤔🤔🤔

You did see that the question was essentially what was his personal review of the game, which he replied that he doesn't do [personal] reviews followed by giving additional options to gather incite on games.

right?

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP

Era will dogpile this to infinity just to shit on Xbox as a brand but game reviews by incompetent journalists are a problem. Things like the RE2 second play through and watching video reviews where the reviewer can barely walk in a straight line little on play the game correctly such as what happened with Doom is an embarrassment.

It's like watching Top Gear but the driver slams the car being evaluated into a ditch and then says switching gears is too confusing. That's modern game reviews at most outlets.

His suggestion to look to your friends who's tastes you align with or streamers who actually know how to play the game is spot on. Find sources for information that actually understand the product being evaluated. If in the rare case there's a demo that's the best way of all.

In today's low attention span, clickbait focused, online media landscape professional reviews do not exist. These outlets can't survive on that type of content. It's not even their fault.

Hard disagree. Watching Top Gear is like watching streams, because it has nothing to do with reviewing cars and more for entertainment.
The bolded part, can be applied to reviewers as well.

Derfy

Oct 27, 2017
When someone says many things and only a couple of those things are bad, it's perfectly valid to criticize only the the bad things. That does not imply a contrived "narrative".

If you just take a part of the tweet you want and remove the rest you are dishonest.sorry.
You can watch a stream to see how the game works and ask to friends and try demo to get more knowledge.But thats me I d rather make my own opinion than to rely on review and he is right about that.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
I see that we have our daily gaming outrage of today, wow :) Mike should probably be more careful with his tweets, but there are definitely some reviewers out there that should do a much better job of learning about a game and playing it enough to accurately discuss it. I have read plenty of reviews of games that I have played a ton and wondered if they just binged it for a couple hours and called it a day. Subscription services like Xbox Game Pass and the inevitable shift toward such a delivery mechanism should at least help people to just try things (including completely different game genres) out more for themselves and not rely on filtering their buying decisions through the lens of someone online that they don't even know personally.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ofcourse no denying that. But him being a developer or executive is irrelevant in this case because in this context he is a gamer. He is expressing his opinion about a 3rd party game. People coming in here with their own terrible hot takes about co-marketing and console bundles conspiracy is what I am calling out. His tweet could very well have be an era post.
That coporate mistrust like Eion Musk has shown against journalists has nothing to do with conspiracies, it could be a valid psychological hypothesis regarding his own quotes history or from others of his colleagues.

Despite his title he's just an employee, in the only Microsoft division whose activity doesn't rely on the two irremovable pillars Windows/Office, in a moment where the retail presence of the Xbox has never been so weak.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I 100% agree with this as well

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Not any more than you are I suppose.

WTF? What narrative am I pushing? I don't agree with Mike's tweet at all and have expressed that multiple times in this thread. Sorry if I'm not jumping to conspiracy theories or interesting in digging through old tweets to highlight how an exec may not always be 100% to the shock of no one.

Wulfram

Mar 3, 2018
I really would like more insight into what you generally understand it to be. I'm being 100% honest here.

You very much were:

-

--

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

It's been heavily implied by you admitting that anything anyone says will never change your opinion:

If you can't entertain the slightest chance that someone could possibly change your mind or give you information that could inform and evolve your own opinion, then why should anyone ever be swayed by your opinions and the arguments you make? What is the purpose of even posting your opinions here? This isn't a rhetorical question; I want to know how you feel about this. Also, keep in mind I never gave any opinion whatsoever about Anthem. I haven't played it, and I won't be purchasing it, since I just purchased a graphics card that included a free code for the game that will be sent to me when the game "launches." I'm arguing about the Xbox's executive's dismissal of games journalism in general in favor of "streamers," and how your siding with the executive's comments are inherently dangerous to values that I hold and that I believe this whole community should hold dear.

I believe that discussions matter, and that the right argument could change my mind, just as the right argument from me could change other's minds. That's what gives my posts value to readers. You seem to not believe in this at all:

You really think you could never change my mind about my beliefs, or others about their beliefs? Then what is the purpose of your posting here? What is the purpose of 'discussion' you claim to like? I really want to know.

As for me, I believe that others' posts have great value to me if they come from a place of good faith and reason, and from a perspective I might not access to. I want others to feel the same, since it will greatly improve our ability to build context and nuance around topics. What do you believe?

Good faith would be arguing honestly, with no hidden agendas. Bad faith would be dishonesty, serving ends other than those you claim.

OK, you helpfully edited out the context there. I was responding to someone who was arguing that criticism of the press was inappropriate, because they're hardworking and under attack. I was asking why the same logic didn't apply to criticism of the hard working and under attack Bioware and EA? My point is that criticism is fair, going both ways.

I'm not against "journalism", I'm criticising Video Game Reviews as a means of informing buying decisions. Its dishonest to twist this into a general thing. And I'm mostly arguing that there are simply better sources of information - watching a stream of the actual game is just a really good way to learn about a game.

I believe that discussion is extremely valuable about rational things, about objective things. You're twisting the specific into the general, again. You can't argue me out of liking a game, because liking a game is not a rational decision. It is subjective. Its like arguing whether a flower is pretty, or food is tasty. Even if every point is sublimely argued and valid, its irrelevant.

Obviously, this isn't a general rule. It doesn't even mean you can't discuss video games or flowers or whatever, it just means that you have to accept "I like X, you like Y" as an axiom if you're going to have a useful discussion.

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you just take a part of the tweet you want and remove the rest you are dishonest.sorry.
You can watch a stream to see how the game works and ask to friends and try demo to get more knowledge.But thats me I d rather make my own opinion than to rely on review and he is right about that.

If i write a letter to someone taking about random pleasant things and then at the end say "BTW _____,you're embarrassing", would that person be dishonest for focusing on one single tiny line in an otherwise large letter?

The fact that he said some reasonable things does not in any way cancel out the unreasonable things.

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
The same reason people here have trashed IGN and had reviews removed for the reviewer not fully experiencing or playing a game. If you're reviewing, you should invest the time and effort to fully learn and educate yourself on a game before you guve it a score. Especially since some developers get bonuses based on scores, and an improper score can lead to missed sales.
I think it was gamespot that reviewed the recent Crash trilogy and in the review it was said they didnt even play Crash 2 and Crash 3. Like thats insane to me, not only do you not know how they hold up but you also dont know if they have actual issues. lots of reviews are kinda jokes. admitting not understanding a part of the combat in anthem is pretty bad too.

thankfully i personally dont rely on them.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
And you figuring something out is somehow a rebuttal to the fact the game doesnt have proper tutorials?
Idk man. I just don't think a tutorial is needed. I thought it was a pretty basic thing to learn that putting together basic attack's made a combo.

I think there is too much handholding in games nowadays. I played Breath of the wild, and I loved that I was discovering new gameplay mechanics 20 hrs into the game.

Jun 22, 2018
The job of a critic is to provide an expert opinion on the quality of something. Unfortunately, not everyone who reviews a game actually has any of that requisite expertise.

I think it's okay, important even, to be critical of the work being done by critics.

Oct 25, 2017
Well, this is where people really are going for impressions. The importance of the old "review" style is dead for a reason

Old review is not dead. If you don't think Metacritic matters you're in denial. MP focused games can still thrive with mediocre scores, but traditional reviews are far from irrelevant. Look at what they did for God Of War last year. No one was checking Datto or Mtashed for their opinions on that game.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe if you read the last page of this thread you could see that an actual journalism chimed in and showed that it isn't a valid complaint.
yes, I haven't read this 30 page thread. I apologize. But yes, as I said, I wasn't sure if it was a valid complaint or not since I haven't played the game. Thanks for clearing that up.
There are multiple tweets actually. But again, you'd have to read the thread to figure this out.
yes... I have read the tweets. He mentioned a single reviewer being a whiner, probably shouldn't have used that word. But the original tweet mentioned a single review, not ALL reviews. that is a big distinction that the thread title is wrong about. The thread title says "critics" plural. Gives a false impression and people already have their pitchforks out when clicking on a title like that. The exact same headline popped up on /r/Games as well. ResetEra needs to be more careful with their thread titles because other places pick it up. That is my main gripe. Misleading thread titles.

Anyway, yes I have read the tweets. As I mentioned in that post you replied to. There are like 3 or so tweets. He mentioned a reviewer that didn't know the combo or whatever. which I take it from your post above, that its incorrect on Mike's part.

Then he mentioned his preference for watching gameplay or getting game recommendations via friends. That is usually what I do these days. I rarely read written reviews. Some people are twisting that into him saying all reviews are bad?

And then I see he responded to someone mentioning that the game was rushed and buggy. He said it doesn't release until friday. I think its on trial or something until then for subscribers or something right? Is there some other tweet that I am missing?
Are you a VP of Microsoft though? Again, it's a common theme with these "oh what he says makes sense" type comments is you don't put any context behind the fact that what he says and what you or I say are not the same thing. Also to reiterate, Ybarra is wrong about this as well.
well, as I said I haven't played Anthem and was just taking Mike's comments about a reviewer not knowing a combo system at face value. If the combo system is not easily taught by the game then fine, that shouldn't be a criticism of the review but of the game. (which seems to be the case and you have mentioned many times). But my point still stands, If I go to a professional reviewer then I'd want them to be informed as possible.
I'm reading the tweets and it's incredible that you and others cannot apply this same exact logic to Ybarra himself.
true, Mike shouldn't be worked up about a review. I myself am mainly just worked up about misleading titles to news or threads. Always irritates me. /shrug
Except streamers are not reviewing the games at all. In some cases they're getting paid to play the game. Relying on streamers to present the game accurately when it's clear that some of them are getting paid by the companies that are releasing the games is some weird ass logic in and of itself. I'll also say anyone who has watched a stream of Anthem (I've watched KingGothalion play it quite a bit) and thinks this game isn't a gigantic fucking mess is delusional. No one is saying you can't enjoy the game or like it but that doesn't mean the game isn't a fucking mess too.
I myself know what types of games I like. I have been playing games long enough to know. So i'll watch game play. The streamer's personality does not play a role in if I will like the game or not. I have watched some gameplay of Anthem, looks kinda of boring to me. Anyway, I agree with Mike on watching gameplay and recommendations from friends being more valuable than a written review these days. As I said with gameplay, I know what I like and don't like. As for friends recommending games, they usually know my game preferences and I know theirs. Harder to know a professional game reviewer's preferences.

Deleted member 5864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The job of a critic is to provide an expert opinion on the quality of something. Unfortunately, not everyone who reviews a game actually has any of that requisite expertise.

I think it's okay, important even, to be critical of the work being done by critics.
Except in this case, it wasn't a situation in which the reviewer lacked expertise. Ybarra just took issue with criticism which he characterized as "whining and embarrassing" for no other reason other than it was on a game he enjoys and has an vested economic interest in.

Very different circumstances and poor excuse to defend this awful, unprofessional attitude. Just like a reviewer has a responsibility to put out a informed opinion, a VP exec has one to act like an adult online.

Last edited:

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018

I know that's not what he meant but it's kinda funny to see both tweets side by side.

But yeah, that's not a good take by Mike Ybarra. I understand that people are saying he is a gamer and just giving his opinion (many exes at game companies are gamers in fact). But normal gamers usually don't have 170k followers on Twitter. He utilized the reach he has as an executive. Many people will see themselves confirmed in attacking the press and reviewers when even the VP of Xbox does it. And this is especially sad, because it seems to me that the criticism of Anthem was completely justified.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

No the job of a reviewer for a consumer product is to review that product.

Oct 26, 2017
I'd normally be accused of being a Sony pony but people need to take perspective. Mike mentioned 1 reviewer. Had he named checked a critic and encouraged a mob I'd be worried. He does have a point that YouTube influencer probably have a better influence that the traditional reviewer.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
While his comment about streamers is quite funny at best, it is important for any critic to always strive to fully understand the game before writing a critique of it. Refusing to read a in game tutorial is frankly unprofessional.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017

I know that's not what he meant but it's kinda funny to see both tweets side by side.

But yeah, that's not a good take by Mike Ybarra. I understand that people are saying he is a gamer and just giving his opinion (many exes at game companies are gamers in fact). But normal gamers usually don't have 170k followers on Twitter. He utilized the reach he has as an executive. Many people will see themselves confirmed in attacking the press and reviewers when even the VP of Xbox does it. And this is especially sad, because it seems to me that the criticism of Anthem was completely justified.

Nobody was attacked, why are you sad?

Also, I don't get the commonality between the two tweets, he's using the word to mean two totally separate things in each one.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
While his comment about streamers is quite funny at best, it is important for any critic to always strive to fully understand the game before writing a critique of it. Refusing to read a in game tutorial is frankly unprofessional.

are we talking generally or are we talking about this specific tweet where reviewers have come into the thread and shown the extent to which such a tutorial exists

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
are we talking generally or are we talking about this specific tweet where reviewers have come into the thread and shown the extent to which such a tutorial exists

In general. The tutorial in Anthem (which I am reviewing myself) is not great. That being said the combo system is fairly straight forward imo.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
Nobody was attacked, why are you sad?

Also, I don't get the commonality between the two tweets, he's using the word to mean two totally separate things in each one.

"Amazed at the whining" and "Embarrassing to review with such a lack of knowledge" is not considered an attack on someone's credibility?

rudds

Oct 25, 2017
From what I have played of the game so far (three of the four javelins) Storm is the only one in which you have obvious combo skills equipped by default. If I didn't play Storm first, I'd have absolutely no idea how combos functioned.

This entire thread is embarrassing anyway. Stop defending the unprofessional asshole. The challenges suck, the combo system is obtuse when combined with the current terrible UI, and the tutorials are almost nonexistant. I've had waypoints disappear, I've been warped around, I've been warned about not being in the combat area while definitely being in the combat area (I had to fly backwards and exit the instance in order to prevent it from constantly warping me back to the entrance of the instance I was supposed to be in), I've entered quests I've never completed half way through, the revive system has broken completely for me multiple times, and finally, I had to play the final mission in the game four times just to get the gates to function properly.

Quite frankly, I wouldn't expect anyone to know anything about this game. I wouldn't assume they have seen any tips they're supposed to see, because it's all broken.

EDIT: Just to add to this, the combo system doesn't even matter. You don't need to use it at all throughout the game, you can still have fun with your abilities, you can still shoot monsters in the face. Failing to know a combo system exists would not affect a review in the slightest.

I'm not just saying this because you agreed with me, but your username is fantastic.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
jeff gerstmann beat the game barely knowing how combos worked and not really needing them anyways

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
"Amazed at the whining" and "Embarrassing to review with such a lack of knowledge" is not considered an attack on someone's credibility?

The first point was aimed at nobody in particular, right? He was amazed that people were whining about a specific quest... I honestly was as well considering in the grand scheme of things it was trivial, and said as much a few days ago, check my post history.

You make it sound like he's using his influence to lazer at someone and that hasn't happened.