• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
He also said people should be using "modern reviews" like watching streamers.
Yeah I'm sure Mike would be delighted if we all tuned into sponsored streamers to decide on buying a game.
Xbox is comarketing Anthem

73e436cf-894c-4d52-9acf-59302c19f2af.jpg
Well that explains why he's pissed. They probably had high hopes their crackdown/anthem combo would make some noise.

Oct 25, 2017
The reaction to this is honestly baffling to me. People acting like being able to watch hours and hours of uncut, unedited gameplay is some kind of invalid way to check in on a game. Only the power of the written word can judge something. What a ridiculous notion. And please give up on the sponsored streams nonsense. There are 100x more unsponsored streams than sponsored and plenty of those don't even have streamers with mics or cams. Just scroll down and watch some stream that has 2 viewers or something. It isn't difficult.

Also, as I stated before in here and the other thread, I don't know why people are completely ignoring the other two parts of the tweet. The game was playable in a demo. You can try it yourself with EA access. You can ask your friends if they feel like getting it and playing together. All of these things are perfectly valid. More valid than a written review most of the time.
no man, no no no no. no one is ignoring anything. you are ignoring the context of the tweet. Mike ybarra and other xbox executives constantly act like petulant manbabies on twitter, encourage GG-like mentalities, promote console war personalities, and discredit reviews. Someone in his position doing this once is just a bad look. but it isn't just once, it's a trend. it's been going on for years and years and it's fucking embarrassing. this is not about one game or one review. as has been shown multiple times, these executives praise reviews that highly rate their games or games that are part of marketing deals, or discredit reviews (and sometimes directly address reviewers they don't agree with) when their games or partner games are not well liked. that is not how reviews work. I was involved in projects that did well and did not do well. i accept people's opinions no matter what they are, I may agree or disagree silently on my own but the thing about reviews is that it's just someone's opinion someone's experience. and yes of course there is more than one way to form an opinion on a game, and they all have their merits. but this guy and his ilk are obvious, GLARING hypocrites that seek only to serve themselves. you either refuse to see that because you have personal investment in Microsoft's success or you simply do not understand just how shitty all of this is

beyond that, there is evidence right here in this thread that shows his statement was wrong in the first place. he completely mischaracterized the content of the review he was referring to, and it is well documented that the game itself does a poor job of explaining the intricacies of the combo system, so much so that players have gone through the trouble of writing their own explanations for the mechanic because they found the ingame instruction to be lacking. I own Anthem, I'm an access premier subscriber, I played the alpha, the beta, and the launch version of the game, and I find the assessment of the reviews to be absolutely correct.

Last edited:

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I think the game comparative to titles like Destiny 1and maybe even Destiny 2 at release are a bit unfair (Bungie got away with higher scores than they deserved largely). But what is this guy talking about lol?

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
With the complaint floating around that reviewers haven't taken the time to dig into the combo system and fully understand it, it's worth taking a look at what tutorial info on combos Anthem does present to the player.

Here is the grand total of information I could find in the game about the combo system, located on a page two layers deep in the codex. Note that only the last paragraph of this page pertains directly to the combo system.

WGZPtZZ.jpg

That's it. Two sentences. The game doesn't point you to this page; you'd only know to go looking for it in the first place if you paid attention to the COMBO text occasionally flying off of enemies or the few item descriptions that reference combo properties. If there's more explanatory info available somewhere else in the game, it must be in an even more obscure place than this because I haven't found it.

Look, the concept of "some abilities set up combos and other abilities trigger them" is self-evident just from playing the game -- the Storm's starting abilities do exactly that, so at least with that javelin it's hard to miss. But what if you want to explore the system in more depth? What distinguishes an impact combo from an aura combo or a chain combo? Do certain elements complement others? Do fire and ice cancel each other out? I have screenshots of three different pieces of gear that all have differently formatted flavor text about combo properties, so the messaging isn't even unified across all the loot.

You might suggest mixing and matching abilities to test out combos in free play, but for me that's a nonstarter when you have to go through five minutes of load screens into town and back every time you want to change anything about your loadout. From what I hear, if I want deeper info on this stuff I need to go... watch a developer stream from two months ago? I've seen terminology like "primer" and "detonator" thrown around, so obviously there's a more fully developed framework under the hood than what the game itself exposes, but you can't fault players (reviewer or not) for being unaware of it when even the game seems to treat combos as an afterthought.

Not to bellyache about this ad nauseam, but it's tiresome watching (an admittedly small number of) people complain that reviewers aren't doing their job in making an effort to dig into the combo mechanic because there's nothing to dig into.
This is a really good write up thank you. I still don't understand what those two sentences about combos are even saying.

Perona

Oct 31, 2017
The game is not available for people who got the expensive version of the game, only people who subscribed to EA's service.
I find it quite funny that he claims it's not released until Friday when the only platform it releases for on Friday is the PS4.
The game is not released on xbone. Just a 10h trial

Oct 25, 2017
no man, no no no no. no one is ignoring anything. you are ignoring the context of the tweet. Mike ybarra and other xbox executives constantly act like petulant manbabies on twitter, encourage GG-like mentalities, promote console war personalities, and discredit reviews. Someone in his position doing this once is just a bad look. but it isn't just once, it's a trend. it's been going on for years and years and it's fucking embarrassing. this is not about one game or one review. as has been shown multiple times, these executives praise reviews that highly rate their games or games that are part of marketing deals, or discredit reviews (and sometimes directly address reviewers they don't agree with) when their games or partner games are not well liked. that is not how reviews work. I was involved in projects that did well and did not do well. i accept people's opinions no matter what they are, I may agree or disagree silently on my own but the thing about reviews is that it's just someone's opinion someone's experience. and yes of course there is more than one way to form an opinion on a game, and they all have their merits. but this guy and his ilk are obvious, GLARING hypocrites that seek only to serve themselves. you either refuse to see that because you have personal investment in Microsoft's success or you simply do not understand just how shitty all of this is
you gotta relax, pal

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
With the complaint floating around that reviewers haven't taken the time to dig into the combo system and fully understand it, it's worth taking a look at what tutorial info on combos Anthem does present to the player.

Here is the grand total of information I could find in the game about the combo system, located on a page two layers deep in the codex. Note that only the last paragraph of this page pertains directly to the combo system.

WGZPtZZ.jpg

That's it. Two sentences. The game doesn't point you to this page; you'd only know to go looking for it in the first place if you paid attention to the COMBO text occasionally flying off of enemies or the few item descriptions that reference combo properties. If there's more explanatory info available somewhere else in the game, it must be in an even more obscure place than this because I haven't found it.

Look, the concept of "some abilities set up combos and other abilities trigger them" is self-evident just from playing the game -- the Storm's starting abilities do exactly that, so at least with that javelin it's hard to miss. But what if you want to explore the system in more depth? What distinguishes an impact combo from an aura combo or a chain combo? Do certain elements complement others? Do fire and ice cancel each other out? I have screenshots of three different pieces of gear that all have differently formatted flavor text about combo properties, so the messaging isn't even unified across all the loot.

You might suggest mixing and matching abilities to test out combos in free play, but for me that's a nonstarter when you have to go through five minutes of load screens into town and back every time you want to change anything about your loadout. From what I hear, if I want deeper info on this stuff I need to go... watch a developer stream from two months ago? I've seen terminology like "primer" and "detonator" thrown around, so obviously there's a more fully developed framework under the hood than what the game itself exposes, but you can't fault players (reviewer or not) for being unaware of it when even the game seems to treat combos as an afterthought.

Not to bellyache about this ad nauseam, but it's tiresome watching (an admittedly small number of) people complain that reviewers aren't doing their job in making an effort to dig into the combo mechanic because there's nothing to dig into.

Thanks for this Brad, without having the game I had no idea how detailed the tutorials were, and I guess not very is the answer.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
The game is not available for people who got the expensive version of the game, only people who subscribed to EA's service.

You mean EA are charging for access to the game?

Dunno how many times I have to repeat this. If EA are charging for access to the game, and if they gave out review copies, the game is ready to be reviewed.

Is the suggestion that somehow all these reviewers got access to the game illicitly? Rather than having been sent it by EA and having published reviews in accordance with the embargo?

Deleted member 5864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

WGZPtZZ.jpg

The Ars Technica review pretty much points this out as well. It's not even that he couldn't figure out combos were a thing, it's that it is incredibly bad documented and explained how to even make the most out of them.

Considering the "Day 1" patch contains improvements, from icons to wholesale adding numbers to many of the item modifiers that don't have them, it's very safe to say this is the result of a game rushed to launch without every piece of information in place or fully locked systems for players to experiment with, and as such is fair game to call out.

All of that nuance of course is lost on Ybarra's "git gud" tier shittweeting.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Just listened to the Bombcast and sounds like their issues with the game have nothing to do with playing a 1 week early version.(mostly).

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017

I dont care about that dude or what he thinks. I am responding to the flippant "lol paid streams" nonsense that seems to be the only part of the tweet that people are paying attention to.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for this Brad, without having the game I had no idea how detailed the tutorials were, and I guess not very is the answer.

There really isn't much more to know, it's simply the same exact mechanic that is in Mass Effect 3 and Mass Effect Andromeda; it's powerful but it's certainly not rocket science deep... Primer/Detonate is all the lingo you really need to know and then figure out which skills/attacks do each particular thing.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
So many people in here are totally willing to cape for obvious unprofesisonalism. I'm not even insinuating why that's the case because I honestly can't relate.
The worst part in my opinion too is the singling out of one reviewer. Like come on in 2019 if you're a person in a position of power with a huge number of rabid fans and you call a single person a whiner and embarrassing, you have to know you're essentially setting that person up for a huge amount of harassment from said rabid fans.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
...and Xbox?

A 10-hour trial is hardly a game release. I put more time into the demo.

Ah I thought EA access premium was for xbox too.
But you can still play it even for a limited time on the system, there is nothing for PS4.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread and its narrative are completely blown out of proportion — and that's coming from someone who doesn't own an Xbox or PC, and has no intention of playing Anthem or anything in its genre.

Might his tweets be professionally inappropriate, considering his company's marketing relationship with the game in question? Sure. Is he wrong? Not necessarily.
  • His first comment is about one review, not all reviews, and his complaint is completely in-line with many threads on Era mocking X, Y, or Z reviewer for missing something obvious, not understanding basic mechanics, or disseminating misinformation.
  • His second comment isn't dismissing reviews in general. It's saying that, for the purposes of determining whether something looks enjoyable to you, watching gameplay, watching streams (he doesn't say "watch affiliated streamers"), playing a demo, or talking to friends about it can be more helpful. And he's completely correct on that very specific point. Reviews absolutely have their place, but reviewers' tastes and experiences (necessarily different rushing to write a review for a deadline vs playing casually) can vary radically from consumers'.
  • Considering the amount of ignorant abuse reviewers receive for being "paid off," seeing some professional reviewers respond by taking his quote out of context, implying he was suggesting people exclusively watch sponsored streamers, is disappointing.

no his comment is wrong

anthem doesn't really have tutorials for how to do combos up front and center. It's hidden away in sub-menus.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
The worst part in my opinion too is the singling out of one reviewer. Like come on in 2019 if you're a person in a position of power with a huge number of rabid fans and you call a single person a whiner and embarrassing, you have to know you're essentially setting that person up for a huge amount of harassment from said rabid fans.
He didn't specify the reviewer though, at least not as far as I can tell in that tweet?

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Ah I thought EA access premium was for xbox too.
But you can still play it even for a limited time on the system, there is nothing for PS4.

Sure, but a trial clearly isn't what he was referring to. The vast majority of people who will play the game on Xbox will be jumping in on Friday at release.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
He didn't specify the reviewer though, at least not as far as I can tell in that tweet?
Come on man. He's saying things specific enough where people can easily find out who the author is, especially when there aren't even many reviews out yet.

He could have just easily said "I respect the reviews coming out right now, but I disagree. I'm having a load of fun with Anthem!"

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I dont care about that dude or what he thinks. I am responding to the flippant "lol paid streams" nonsense that seems to be the only part of the tweet that people are paying attention to.
The 'whole other part' of his tweet was wrong too.

WGZPtZZ.jpg

Thank you for the detailed insight. Certainly refutes the posters on here who want to spread misinformation about 'games journalists being bad at the game'. Especially those who responded to Patrick so arrogantly. Some users on here just can't behave.

Oct 25, 2017
it only seems like nonsense if you ignore the subtext that a guy who has a stake in the success of a product would try to send people somewhere they're much more likely to find sources that have been compensated for positive coverage of that product. it doesn't in any way imply that streams are an invalid way to gather information or form an opinion, and no one is saying that. they're just held to a lower standard of integrity, which in the context of this tweet, who is saying it, and why they're saying it, is a completely fair and reasonable point to make. so it seems weird that you put so much effort into defending him.

Switch

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wales
maybe he himself has no idea what good game design entails

not explaining one of the key mechanics is certainly not a bold design choice

I very much doubt you played the final game. I also remember days when you hate to learn combo's for yourself like in the Arcade days with VF and Street Fighter II. But I guess lets all jump on the EA hate bandwagon, because the internet tells us so

Perona

Oct 31, 2017

Dunno how many times I have to repeat this. If EA are charging for access to the game, and if they gave out review copies, the game is ready to be reviewed.

Is the suggestion that somehow all these reviewers got access to the game illicitly? Rather than having been sent it by EA and having published reviews in accordance with the embargo?
I literally do not care about any of this. I was correcting people who thought xbone had full access or that the expensive version let you play early.

NitX

Lead Developer
Verified
Aug 20, 2018
You're is missing the point.

Lashing out and calling people whiners and embarrassing for having problems with a video game is never acceptable regardless if its a forum poster, developer or executive. Especially the latter two for obvious reasons.

Ofcourse no denying that. But him being a developer or executive is irrelevant in this case because in this context he is a gamer. He is expressing his opinion about a 3rd party game. People coming in here with their own terrible hot takes about co-marketing and console bundles conspiracy is what I am calling out. His tweet could very well have be an era post.

Apr 18, 2018
Santa Cruz
Man, this is just not the time for Microsoft to say or cause a negative backlash. They're already down after Crackdown's release and to keep negative defensive topics trending is just going to seem childish and insecure. Although I watch Giatbomb, I don't think I could enjoy watching streamers.

Their over-acting enjoyment and how they talk to themselves constantly just isn't how I relate to anything. Giantbomb at least makes it seems like 2 people are having a discussion about what works and what doesn't.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
They're critics and he is just criticizing them (well, this review), is that not fair?
The game reviewer is criticizing an inanimate object and doesn't have the kind of power and following that the VP of Xbox has. VP of Xbox is criticizing a human being by calling him a whiner and embarrassing.

You really don't see how this is an issue?

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017

That's not what that user is referring to. They're talking about the "It comes out on Friday" tweet and all of the responses in this thread that it's been out since last Friday. When it has not for Xbox.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Nah I find attacking media unfairly in 2019 to be horrifying not amusing. But perhaps that's your privilege my guy.

They criticized the chart EA had to release to show all the different versions of the game.
i haven't played anthem so i don't know if not knowing how to combo or whatever is a valid complaint. but I do know is that the thread title mentions him calling all critics of anthem whiners, where in fact its just one unnamed review, so i am guessing people are not reading the actual tweet? seems innocent enough, I too would like people that get paid to review games to be as informed as possible. anyway nothing to get worked up about. the man is entitled to his opinion. And as for his take on the modern review or whatever, I agree with him. i myself base my purchasing decisions on watching gameplay and recommendations from friends who know my tastes in games. i haven't read a written review in years and a suspect a lot of people are the same way. i see some people twisting these tweets into something else entirely, that is what I find amusing.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
I'm not even motivated to post on gaming side that often and it's precisely because of the cultural unwillingness to do things like call a spade a spade (a spade in this case being a pretty blatantly unprofessional undermining the credibility of individuals offering critical takes of product your firm has invested)
Ofcourse no denying that. But him being a developer or executive is irrelevant in this case because in this context he is a gamer. He is expressing his opinion about a 3rd party game. People coming in here with their own terrible hot takes about co-marketing and console bundles conspiracy is what I am calling out. His tweet could very well have be an era post.

no offense but how do you work in the actual industry and believe stuff like this. Corporate executives with skin in the game aren't just "gamers like us" even if they would like to think of themselves as such

his firm has invested into the promotion of this product, the source of the developer is irrelevant to why it is blatantly unprofessional

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The 'whole other part' of his tweet was wrong too.

Thank you for the detailed insight. Certainly refutes the posters on here who want to spread misinformation about 'games journalists being bad at the game'. Especially those who responded to Patrick so arrogantly. Some users on here just can't behave.

Did you read the second paragraph? The basic combo system is extremely obvious. Info on maximizing its potential is not.

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
Is Microsoft still the good guy? I can't keep track.

High-ranking corporate executives are never the "good guy." Or maybe very rarely. Iwata was cool, but his career trajectory was way different than 99% of executives.

I find all this squabbling about the combo system to be just a side-show to the man's anti-review stance. Does the game make the player feel rewarded for digging into these deeper, more obscure systems? Are there areas with challenge that justifies altering the way one plays? Most of the talk surrounding the game seems to suggest the answer to these questions is "no" in the game's current state, but maybe my experience with the game will be different.

Deleted member 5864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're critics and he is just criticizing them (well, this review), is that not fair?
Reviewers: "The campaign is cut due to a gate that requires you to complete a laundry list of challenges to progress further. It breaks the flow of the game and the reward is disappointing".
"The combo system is poorly explained, difficult to test due to the constant loading and design of the game, and the tutorial section is not very thorough or specific about this mechanic".

Ybarra: "LOL those challenges were so easy to complete whiners. Embarrassing that the reviewer didn't even know how to combo. That's why I don't listen to reviews, go check out streamers instead".

Yeah, totally the same thing breh...

NitX

Lead Developer
Verified
Aug 20, 2018
no offense but how do you work in the actual industry and believe stuff like this. Corporate executives with skin in the game aren't just "gamers like us" even if they would like to think of themselves as such
l

And this is exactly the problem. Not all executives in the industry are out of touch non-gamers who only care about profits though those types certainly do exist. Why cant they be gamers and enjoy games like us ? Because they make a ton of money ?

Also just fyi i find that tweet totally unprofessional. :)

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not even motivated to post on gaming side that often and it's precisely because of the cultural unwillingness to do things like call a spade a spade (a spade in this case being a pretty blatantly unprofessional undermining the credibility of individuals offering critical takes of product your firm has invested)

his firm has invested into the promotion of this product, the source of the developer is irrelevant to why it is blatantly unprofessional
there are a number of people on this forum that are verified as developers yet to varying degrees push lies, conspiracy theories, and arguments against their own best interests. That is to say, your career doesn't make you immune to being wrong, and supporting harmful things isn't exactly new to humanity.