• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ConHaki66

Oct 27, 2017
There's more tweets that should be in the OP.

Even that one though the context is important. He's a MS employee, MS marketed this game and his tweet is dismissing genuine criticism even if it is "just one review" and "just one complaint"
title should be verbatim what he said, anything else(other tweets) can be upto your interpretation as to the conclusion

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
There's more tweets that should be in the OP.

Even that one though the context is important. He's a MS employee, MS marketed this game and his tweet is dismissing genuine criticism even if it is "just one review" and "just one complaint"
MS has marketed a lot of games in the last year, I didn't see Ybarra defending Fallout 76. I think this is more to do with him genuinely liking the game and/or being good friends with Hudson so taking criticism on a personal level in response to that.
people are extrapolating it with his other tweets and making a headline
I'm pretty sure the thread title was written by one person.

Zelus

Oct 27, 2017
Guess the Crackdown 3 debacle's really getting to him. That plus having a marketing deal with a game that's not being looked at too favorably right now would make me snap too.

Nov 1, 2017
Man has opinion on internet. Why is this thread-worthy? Oh he works for Xbox. Great, it's an excuse to shit on Microsoft. Cool. Carry on then.

In all seriousness everyone getting on their high horse about how dare you criticise reviewers must have forgotten Kane & Lynch 2 and the many, many times before and after where reviewers have missed the mark. Personally i have not taken reviews seriously since Edge gave Mario Kart Double Dash something ridiculously low like a 5 or something all those years ago. If this Mike guy is enjoying the game and has an opinion that differs from what some early access reviews are stating who literally gives a shit?

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Does he work for EA? Why is he of all people mad at reviews of a multiplatform game?
MS has thrown all their eggs in the Shooter basket this quarter (Crackdown 3, Metro, Anthem and soon The Division 2) and I think so far they're not seeing much return, if only PR wise. So... Maybe they're getting frustrated?
Imagine if Division 2 faceplants too...

Edit: and I guess missing the Apex boat after having been fully on the Titanfall one is doubly frustrating.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
You do realize excusing poor reviews is just gonna end up giving them more ammo in the long run?
Nobody is doing that. All we know about this review is that Ybarra said the reviewer couldn't figure out how to do a combo. A position echoed by streamers and posters in this thread, so how does that make it a bad review?

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
At least he had the restraint to not say watch streamers on mixer.

Just take the L, link to someone you paid to play the game and don't worry about reviews. There was no need to try and to discredit game reviewers

It's funny how "don't listen to critics, watch streamers" is pretty much the Republicans tactics when trying to swipe away criticisms and have people watch fox news

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
Reviewing without knowing how to do a combo is indeed embarrassing. Not sure what's wrong about that statement.

But you guys want a shitstorm.

Do your thing.

Well, If I'm not totally wrong, the game doesn't explain the combo system at all, maybe somewhere in the codes entries, but not during "normal" gameplay. It's totally fine if some people disagree on that point, but it is still doing a poor job at explaining or the lack of explaining for the combo system. I knew about it from earlier dev streams I think, so I knew what to look for, but still had to figure some stuff out. My friend had no clue after 30 hours, until I explained it to him.

Reviewers can very well miss stuff, same as a normal gamer. Sure, they should try to find out and figure out as much as possible, within the given time-frame. You can't expect a reviewer to go that in-depth as some Streamer/YouTuber that only plays these kind of games and does nothing else beside that. It's simply impossible.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
yeah, I'm not talking about RNG, never did though, that was someone else ;) I don't think that this quest is really bad (based on the minor grind/work). The only real problem was the chest thing (which is being patched) and I had to look up what they mean by kill streak or whatever it was called. Still I dislike the quest itself and I explained why that's the case.

Anthem is not entirely bad, but it has issues, among the biggest ones are quest design and with that the crazy amount of loading screens. I just wonder if that's really a design choice or due to the Engine limitations. You can't honestly play this game and think that the quest design and loading screen terror is fine and enjoyable ;)
My comment that you originally refered to was refering to someone who kept doubling down that the tasks were RNG, so that explains my response. I enjoy the quest design but think there needs to be more variety. The loading screens is not great and needs improved.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
And I'm sure that IGN gave that reviewer a talking to about it. Reviewers are humans too so will 'occasionally' get things wrong, it doesn't mean that their professional opinion is worthless or that they are all "idiots".
I don't recall him saying their review is worthless and I don't recall myself saying "all" reviewers are idiots. He's perfectly entitled to the criticism he dished out.
When standards slip you never know who to trust for an honest review anymore. I've completely given up on reviews myself personally. I don't think they've accurately represented a lot of games over the past few years, with some (i think it was either a polygon or kotaku article) even giving unfavourable reviews simply because the reviewer found the game too hard. You get a lot of other big publications writing reviews more about political agendas than actual gameplay. I'll be honest with you i think the industry is in a sad state right now but I don't want to expand on that to prevent getting banned for having an honest opinion.

The problem? That's painting with a broad brush and hurts those that DO know what they're talking about.

Sure. That still doesn't make him wrong. There are reviewers out there who might be giving this game a worse review than it deserves simply because they've been incompetent with their research and haven't fully explored everything the game has to offer. As I mentioned before it's not like that hasn't happened before. You as a journalist should make sure your colleagues around the industry have the same high standards as yourself or else people will be left confused and unsure. Literally fake news 2.0.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Man has opinion on internet. Why is this thread-worthy? Oh he works for Xbox. Great, it's an excuse to shit on Microsoft. Cool. Carry on then.

In all seriousness everyone getting on their high horse about how dare you criticise reviewers must have forgotten Kane & Lynch 2 and the many, many times before and after where reviewers have missed the mark. Personally i have not taken reviews seriously since Edge gave Mario Kart Double Dash something ridiculously low like a 5 or something all those years ago. If this Mike guy is enjoying the game and has an opinion that differs from what some early access reviews are stating who literally gives a shit?

He's not just any man though is he? Are you telling me that if Shaun Layden came out during Days Gone reviews and streams telling reviewers this and belittling their work compared to streamers that it wouldn't get ripped to shreds too? Come on...

There are some things that people in power shouldn't wade into.

Deleted member 8777

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nobody is doing that. All we know about this review is that Ybarra said the reviewer couldn't figure out how to do a combo. A position echoed by streamers and posters in this thread, so how does that make it a bad review?
Because reviewers are not streamers and posters? Do you think a reviewer's job carries more responsibility than a streamer or a poster on an online forum?

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Dude is VP of Xbox and throws the press under the bus for dumb shit like that. This is fine.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
He shouldn't lie and say the game isn't out yet when people are paying to play it early. Him included if he is playing it on PC
Agreed poor choice imo, but it depends where your view stands. Personally if I can pay money for a game and play it then it's out, doesn't matter if someone slaps an "early access" label on it because they're releasing hot. But many don't take that viewpoint - I disagree with it, but can see why some folks still differentiate it. Mike's clearly one of those as his view is likely shaped from the somewhat publisher orientated experience of his professional field.

Point being - I don't agree with Mike's view but it's his opinion at the end of the day and that's fine, I don't want to roast the guy for seeing things differently to me.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
That's one hill to die on.
giphy.gif

Wulfram

Mar 3, 2018
.....you do realise that Gamergaters will just take his tweet as the word from god right?

You do realise that criticism of Anthem will equally be seized on by Gamergaters, who have Bioware and EA as leading hate figures? Does that stop criticism by reviewers of the game, valid or otherwise? Of course not.

So why is it appropriate for reviewers to use their positions to personally attack someone for criticising them? To send their own loyal forum warriors into campaign against the heretic?

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018

Thank you for this post.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You do realise that criticism of Anthem will equally be seized on by Gamergaters, who have Bioware and EA as leading hate figures? Does that stop criticism by reviewers of the game, valid or otherwise? Of course not.

So why is it appropriate for reviewers to use their positions to personally attack someone for criticising them? To send their own loyal forum warriors into campaign against the heretic?
What on earth are you talking about.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
A reviewer should have a basic understanding of the game mechanics, even if they're poorly explained by the game.

Criticise the poor tutorial - don't criticise the game if you don't know how to play.
"basic understanding of game mechanics"

Its literally never explained how it works, how is that the fault of the gamer reviewers?

If PROFESSIONALS can't figure it out, how many of the "less experienced" who play games will be able to?

Its a rightful criticism and an even worse hot take by Ybarra

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Never thought i would agree with someone at Microsoft Xbox

He is totally right.

Watch Streamers and not those guys called "Professional Reviewers" that can't make simple jumps in Cuphead or miss out half the game in something like Resident Evil 2 and then start a war on Twitter with users that tell him he is wrong.

Reviewers are usually bad at games - That is fact.
There are tons of streamers,even unsponsored ones that are good at gaming and don't blame the game.

There is a reason Respawn Entertainment invited Streamer and Ex-Shooter ProPlayer Shroud multiple times to test Apex Legends and not the Cuphead Guy from IGN or so.
If i want to know for example if Sekiro will be good i will fucking watch someone holding WORLD RECORDS in Souls Speedruns and not someone dying 10 times at the first 3 enemies.

Streamer DatModz was the one who created in Anthem the Chest Farm Route that made them yesterday "patch" the game.
He got that deep into the game and was able to find something like that because he played around 50 hours from Friday to Sunday.

Streamers are the new and better reviewers because they actually understand the games they play.

This is a spectacularly bad take.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017

Man, some of you are too much with the ms persecution complex. Like we just had a big ass thread about Shawn Layden, we've had them about other execs and other figures in gaming. It happens. Everyone doesn't have it out for your favorite company.

You don't give a shit, but you take the time to let everyone else know you don't instead of maybe skipping the thread. Boggling stuff.

Deleted member 5864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Jesus, persecution complex much? It's not an excuse to shit on Microsoft. If anything, people are shitting on a corporate VP irresponsibly throwing press to the dogs.
You very clearly don't get it. It's not about "criticizing reviews", it's shitting on the press and making them a target for upset fanboys like yourself, even more after hate groups like GG use whatever "ethics" excuse to spread their bullshit views.

It's not the kind of language nor targeting that should come from someone in his position, end of. YOU can go ahead and criticize reviews for being inaccurate. Let alone the fact that the game itself doesn't teach how their combo system works to a competent degree, which is a point of contention in that specific review.

Get a fucking grip.

Jonscrambler

Nov 13, 2017
Torrance,CA
He's not just any man though is he? Are you telling me that if Shaun Layden came out during Days Gone reviews and streams telling reviewers this and belittling their work compared to streamers that it wouldn't get ripped to shreds too? Come on...

There are some things that people in power shouldn't wade into.

yes Shaun Layden complains about reviews of a PS4 exclusive would be very different than Mike Ybarra complains about reviews of a multi platform game

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Executives perpetuating this kind of garbage sucks. We need less of this shit in this industry/community, not validation of it.

Wulfram

Mar 3, 2018
"basic understanding of game mechanics"

Its literally never explained how it works, how is that the fault of the gamer reviewers?

If PROFESSIONALS can't figure it out, how many of the "less experienced" who play games will be able to?

Its a rightful criticism and an even worse hot take by Ybarra

You freeze something, then hit it with your daggers. Difficult.

(A bit different if you're a ranger)

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't recall him saying their review is worthless and I don't recall myself saying "all" reviewers are idiots. He's perfectly entitled to the criticism he dished out.
When standards slip you never know who to trust for an honest review anymore. I've completely given up on reviews myself personally. I don't think they've accurately represented a lot of games over the past few years, with some (i think it was either a polygon or kotaku article) even giving unfavourable reviews simply because the reviewer found the game too hard. You get a lot of other big publications writing reviews more about political agendas than actual gameplay. I'll be honest with you i think the industry is in a sad state right now but I don't want to expand on that to prevent getting banned for having an honest opinion.

Sure. That still doesn't make him wrong. There are reviewers out there who might be giving this game a worse review than it deserves simply because they've been incompetent with their research and haven't fully explored everything the game has to offer. As I mentioned before it's not like that hasn't happened before. You as a journalist should make sure your colleagues around the industry have the same high standards as yourself or else people will be left confused and unsure. Literally fake news 2.0.

Can you engage on the criticisms leveled about the game? All you're doing is complaining about fake news. It has no substance to it when the President does it, and it has none when you do either.