• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Most of what he said here is super dumb and ill advised, but why are so many people here shitting on the idea of watching streamers before buying games?

There have been loads of times where I'll watch my favorite streamer play a game that I otherwise wouldn't have interest in and decide to buy it. What's wrong about Ybarra saying that? I'd trust the word of this streamer over a random IGN review.

There is nothing wrong with watching streamers to gauge your interest in a game. Where Ybarra goes wrong is suggesting that watching streamers is similar enough to an actual review enough to delegitimize all reviews altogether. It should be said, streamers do get paid sometimes for playing content as well.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Crackdown a MS 1P Game gets mediocre reviews.
Anthem the biggest 3P game game that MS has been pushing marketing gets mediocre reviews.
Mike Ibarra comes out and talk shit about reviews.
Yeah right Ibarra.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I 100% agree with him. Modern gaming journalism is filled with idiots who can't even play the games they're reviewing properly and there's been a huge number of these botched reviews in recent years. Hell just a month ago there was that whole thing with that IGN reviewer and RE2. If you haven't explored everything the game has to offer then don't make a review about it.
The problem? That's painting with a broad brush and hurts those that DO know what they're talking about.

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
Seems like someone is a bit nervous/angry that both internally developed games (Crackdown 3) and those where they have marketing deals (Fallout 76, Anthem and more) are scoring poorly.
He shouldn't make these comments publicly, they certainly aren't going to get any favour telling people that reviews from the press are outdated and they should rely on streamers.

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
I only care about critic's because i want the developers of the games i liked to be happy, other than that my friends > all critic's.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There is nothing wrong with watching streamers to gauge your interest in a game. Where Ybarra goes wrong is suggesting that watching streamers is similar enough to an actual review enough to delegitimize all reviews altogether. It should be said, streamers do get paid sometimes for playing content as well.
This is by far the dumbest thing he said. More-so than using the word whine

AnthonyUK

Nov 6, 2017
What changed? he was okay with Reviews 8 days ago?

JYE0Git.png

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Pretty bad take from Mike there. I understand the frustration he's likely facing after this past week but that's not the way to go about it. Basically turning fans against others, is what he's doing with that post.

Either way, beyond any issues with the game itself, Anthem has technical problems - severe technical problems - in its current form on Xbox. I've not seen a big AAA game release in this state for quite sometime. It's really surprising and it's obvious the game needs more time.
definitely looking forward to your team's technical analysis.

sounds like it's gonna be positively brutal.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The problem? That's painting with a broad brush and hurts those that DO know what they're talking about.
Exactly. He shouldn't have broadly stated it as if it's all reviewers who do this. There's so many great ones out there and he's sort of writing of everyone who puts hard work into pushing out well done reviews

Oct 30, 2017
One thing i want to know is if every games need to explain everything, how many 8-9+ average rating hardcore tier games like Souls series need to drop the score?
Wasn't one of fun part about playing games is discover in-game feature by yourself?
This right here. Not saying a reviewer cant comment on it, but then don't go gushing about how you had to learn how to do certain things in the game by reading item descriptions or a wiki, or just trial and error. I have no problem with a game not giving me everything up front. If I am interested enough, I will find it on my own. In-game or out does not bother me at all.

Wulfram

Mar 3, 2018
It's not even so much "personal opinions" as it is "immature and ignorant opinions."

Telling people to watch streamers instead of critics, as if their opinions matter more, is condescending. And saying something as disingenuous and dishonest as "the game isn't out until Friday" is just childish.

He suggests people should watch the streams (of, ya'know, people playing the actual game) and talk to their friends. He's not suggesting people take opinions from Streamers, he's suggesting people make up their own mind.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really just waiting for Ybarra to tweet out an apology. We know it's coming.

A VP commenting on a review of a game that they have a marketing deal on is a reaaaaaaaaaaaaally bad look.

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Just because he's a VP doesn't mean he can't talk about whatever he wants. I don't think MS has rules against it opinions.

Yeah but stirring up the hornets nest on an upcoming title that is already in the spotlight for the wrong reasons is only pouring more salt on scorched earth. It's just not needed and will only create further division.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's entirely possible that the review was poor, while simultaneously, Mike was a whiny manchild over something he should know far better than to comment on considering his position. He sounds like an unfiltered fanboy.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Yeah, execs should keep their opinions to themselves thats simple 101, even if their opinion isn't informed by any bias. If their is any sort of potential bias in play, you will be linked to it. Ybarra has a history of disregarding his position, stupidly posting his opinions and mocking fanboy's on the daily. As for some of the replies in this thread, the narrative some of you are trying to create is embarrassing.

Dude, please stop. I know you dont like the flack he is getting but dont try to act like he doesn't deserve it or people are painting a narrative.

No exec would express such frustration if it wasn''t affecting them in some way. Such frustration comes from the position he is in and the ties Xbox has with the looming launch of the game. And throwing reviewers under the bus for Anthem''s problems is just low.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Just because he's a VP doesn't mean he can't talk about whatever he wants. I don't think MS has rules against it opinions.

I wonder if Adam Orth agrees with you.

Most major consumer facing corporations have social media policies, and just general terms about not publicly acting in a way that reflects poorly on the company.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I 100% agree with him. Modern gaming journalism is filled with idiots who can't even play the games they're reviewing properly and there's been a huge number of these botched reviews in recent years. Hell just a month ago there was that whole thing with that IGN reviewer and RE2. If you haven't explored everything the game has to offer then don't make a review about it.

And I'm sure that IGN gave that reviewer a talking to about it. Reviewers are humans too so will 'occasionally' get things wrong, it doesn't mean that their professional opinion is worthless or that they are all "idiots".

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

What's your gamerscore bruh?

Deltoid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
outrage culture at max levels today i guess

although his tweet about anthem releasing on friday was a little idiotic

ybarra needs a twitter break

fierrotlepou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that he chooses to focus on the "combo" thing, apart from ALL THE OTHER THINGS WRONG WITH THE GAME should also be VERY telling.

This whole thing is a fiasco.

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
If you do a world event you get a chest - elites/legendarys will spawn in world events and world events will defo spawn when in free play. It's not RNG when it will happen very easily by just playing. And most of the tasks are killing enemies using your different skills anyway.

Keep in mind, that every player needs to open 15 chests, not just a player of the group or your friend, that you play the game with (co-op game... and it forces you to do free play in public groups, solo is not an option).

Yes, this will get fixed, but for example my friend opened most of the chests, so he only had 3 chests left on the quest, while I needed 14 ;) So, it was a bit annoying. But for me the quest itself is well bad in itself, not due to the (minor) grind.

You should prove worthy to enter the tombs, once you finished those grindy steps for the quest, it goes: Enter the room, which looks the same for every tomb, get a loading screen before it, walk some steps straight, click on the coffin, get random loot, get out with another loading screen. Repeat that step 3 more times, what an epic journey ...

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I think Mike is just a big fan of the game on a personal level, outside of his employee's relationship. He's posted positively about it for quite some time now, and has actually been playing it fairly heavily himself this week on PC by the looks of things. I'm pretty sure he's just a fan.

That said, not the smartest wording of things.

TooLive

Jan 28, 2019
User Banned (1 Day): Drive-By posting in multiple topics
Oh look, and Xbox employee (or any gaming company for that matter) has an opinion I don't agree with, Let the outrage begin!! The outrage over noting culture on this site is so strong....

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Dude, please stop. I know you dont like the flack he is getting but dont try to act like he doesn't deserve it or people are painting a narrative.

No exec would express such frustration if it wasn''t affecting them in some way. Such frustration comes from the position he is in and the ties Xbox has with the looming launch of the game. And throwing reviewers under the bus for Anthem''s problems is just low.
You're trying way to hard.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Nice GG dog whistle Mike. Maybe he thinks gamers should rise up about ethics in game reviews.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I'm thinking of the time Phil suggested low scores could just be clickbait. Then that time more recently when another one of them targeted some reviewer on Twitter for giving Lucky's tale too low of a score. And now this? Were there anymore? Do you think this is a cultural thing with xbox or do you think it's just coincidence?

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Filled with idiots, huh...