• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 17, 2017
It wasn't just the Tyson issue that prompted the renamings—supposedly someone at Capcom USA felt that "Vega" wasn't intimidating enough for the dictator (presumably because of the "feminine" final -a) but worked well for the claw character because of his appearance and nationality ("Vega" is also an actual Spanish surname). But that meant both the boxer and the dictator needed new names and it was just easier to shuffle around the existing ones.
That makes sense. M. Bison really does fit the dictator.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Lol, kinda like how Hugo from Street Fighter is just a jacked version of Philip Glass.
Or Howard Stern... >_>
Wouldn't they also change the Japanese name if they feared legal action? It's just leaving proof behind!
Because Japan doesn't care, it would really have only been a real problem to care about in the Western regions. they base all sorts of characters in games off of all sorts of people, sometimes subtlely, sometimes overtly. There are two renditions of a character named Ryoko based on Judo champion Ryoko Tani: Ryoko Izumo (World Heroes 2/2 Jet/Perfect) and Ryoko Kano (Fighter's History and FH Dynamite).

joedick

Mar 19, 2018
I don't think Bruce's influence was in GREAT games until the mid-90s (Super Turbo, Tekken).

I know OP said 'living', but in response to this quote, there was a 1984 Bruce Lee game for 8-bit computers (Apple II, C64, etc) that was pretty well regarded. And as others have suggested, his influence on this era of games is probably unmatched.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
And to think, all of that confusing name-switching could've been for nothing...
...Nah, his lawyers definitely knew about it, lol.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't Snake based on Michael Biehn?

Metal-Gear-Kyle-Reese.png
Nah, the original Metal Gear games just made liberal use of actor likenesses for the character art. Metal Gear 2 used Mel Gibson for Snake's codec portrait for example.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Is it still like this in Street Fighter V or have they switched it so the characters have the same name globally?
It is still like this and likely always will be. The names are too entrenched in each version to change them, now, and there's no way in heck they'd change the JP ones to begin with.

It's also super weird when you get, say, animation and have voices in Japanese but the subs are on and they didn't bother to make subs that match that track. You hear Vega, read Bison and then kind of sigh a little.

Ceileachair

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Huh, I looked it up now, I think it's only in Vanilla. Even in CE they had already changed it a bit:

sfcenolos-17.gif
You have a phaLanx avatar pic and didn't know Balrog's original winning pose (I'm only teasing) it was the same on the original SNES release, but your right about it changing for the champion edition and the Genesis' port.

Oct 25, 2017
I've never played a lot of street fighter. I had no idea M. Bison was short for Mike Bison, or that any name switch had occurred.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
It is still like this and likely always will be. The names are too entrenched in each version to change them, now, and there's no way in heck they'd change the JP ones to begin with.

It's also super weird when you get, say, animation and have voices in Japanese but the subs are on and they didn't bother to make subs that match that track. You hear Vega, read Bison and then kind of sigh a little.

Interesting. I would have guessed that at some point they unified things worldwide similar to how Final Fantasy 7 unified the naming convention/number for all FF games going forward.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Interesting. I would have guessed that at some point they unified things worldwide similar to how Final Fantasy 7 unified the naming convention/number for all FF games going forward.
I wish they had, bt then we'd be having similar issues to how some people still insist on calling 6 & 4 III & II, or the ever-present "Aerith" debate.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
ST could be 'Street Fighter' (what many people called SFII in the 90s) or 'Super Turbo'. Just an FYI. ;-P
Nobody who abbreviates them in that manner uses them that way.
SFII == WW
SFIICE/Dash == CE
SFIITurbo/Dash Turbo == HF
Super SFII = Super or SSF2
Super Turbo/X == ST

That is the nomenclature that anyone who bothers to USE the nomenclature uses.

dubq

Oct 27, 2017
His original name was M. Bison. They switched him with Balrog (what we know as M. Bison) to avoid legal trouble.
Close. It was a triple change, actually.

Our Vega (claws/mask) was Balrog in Japan.
Our M. Bison (Shadaloo leader) was Vega in Japan.
Our Balrog (boxer) was M. Bison in Japan.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Wow, I'm surprised how many people on here didn't know this!

I feel like this is justice for Tyson, in some weird way... that he has his likeness used and it screwed out of royalities. Good!

Oct 25, 2017
Pity there was never a Street Fighter character based on the philosopher AJ Ayer politely telling him off.

(In academic circles it's a somewhat famous exchange surrounding an incident where Tyson was harassing the young Naomi Campbell, and it went like this. Tyson: "Do you know who the fuck I am? I'm the heavyweight champion of the world." Ayer: "And I am the former Wykeham Professor of Logic. We are both pre-eminent in our field. I suggest we talk about this like rational men.")

Oct 26, 2017
While Capcom later tended to reuse art as much as possible, they actually touched up quite a lot for Champion Edition and Super. CE got minor portrait changes but they drew the new anime styled ones for Super. All new sprites also used a style closer to Alpha rather than SF2.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
What? Street Fighter was EVERYWHERE.
I don't know where you guys are from, but in Florida up until somewhere between ps1 and ps2 era, gaming was never "everywhere" except maybe when mortal kombat released and there was all the media attention about violence. It was a niche thing and you were labelled a nerd (which at the time was a negative thing) for it.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I don't know where you guys are from, but in Florida up until somewhere between ps1 and ps2 era, gaming was never "everywhere" except maybe when mortal kombat released and there was all the media attention about violence. It was a niche thing and you were labelled a nerd (which at the time was a negative thing) for it.

I'm from Ohio.

Street Fighter was everywhere when 2 came out-- even before home console releases.