• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
This was Tyson at 15! He was an incredible boxer.

80HAq17.gif

7022874-2509385080-G95Hg.gif

Well i guess i can't mock jojo anymore for trying to make us think jotaro was 17, lol

Damn that's quite amazing movements, especially the footwork

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I would stomp on his feet and then have my way with him.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know a lot about boxing, but that didn't look that good. But again, I don't know.

He might have smothered the jab cross a bit...but I'm sure as shit not standing in front of it.

Edit: Man, this thread has me missing boxing. I trained for about 2 years at a local gym. I was never going to be competitive (I'm old, and my reaction time was not up to snuff), but it was a real boxing gym with real trainers and hungry kids trying to come up, along with a few guys like me who were just doing it recreationally. That place had to close down, and there are no other gyms around. Plenty of MMA and Tae Kwon Do places...no boxing. There are a few "boxercise" places around, which are fine if you just want to pound on a heavy bag, but it's just not the same thing as getting in there and trading jabs. I suspect that a few of the guys were kinda taking it easy on the old man during sparring, and for that I salute them, lol.

Last edited:

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I take boxing classes fairly regularly when not in quarantine, and the thing that always gets me about watching clips of Mike is how exaggerated his torso rotation/movement is for his size, and how quick that makes his hooks.

No one moves that fast on a casual level, not even close.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have bad neck problems and if any one of those punches landed on my noggin it'd probably paralyze me.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, of course he would destroy me with a single punch, I'm aware of that.

I'm not saying I could beat him or anything.
I'm just going to assume you're not in your 50s. So even not, aww shucks, knowing a lot about boxing, gosh golly, could you punch with the speed and likely strength on display in that video?

Mansa Mufasa

Jun 17, 2019
Toronto
Well Bernard Hopkins was still going at 52, so it's theoretically possible, but not a great idea for a old man to fight at heavyweight where he could get seriously hurt.

Well we often talk about many criminals who have had interesting/significant lives. Many have had films and TV shows made about them. Mike Tyson went to prison for his crimes, registered as a sex offender, and largely lost his massive fortune, and went through many difficult years because of his actions. He also has a diagnosed mental disorder which drove his actions, along with substance abuse. I think it's fair to say he paid for his crimes, and is reformed, which is arguably what we hope for when people go to prison.

Thank you for this post.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The most overrated boxer of all time

Beating a washed up Larry Holmes and a jumped up light heavyweight Michael Spinks being his only big wins.

He also lacked the heart of a champion

Holyfield and Lewis were a different level

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't followed him in a long time but it's perfectly clear that he still regularly works out and hasn't lost much - at least that power and speed (at 53 years old). I'm sure the stamina has changed a good bit but holy shit he looks just like his younger self in the clip below. Wonder what it would take for him to fight again in some fashion. Would there even been an event for someone like him at that age that could happen and not be a complete joke?

He's fucking impressive for 53 but he's lost more than youd think. His up down bounce is way slower now and trying to dodge as fast as he used to as an inside fighter like he used to would kill him at his age and leave him gassed quickly from the rapid fire squats and constant power shots he throws. Its why he wasn't a 12 rounder and was known even in his prime as someone who either knocked you out or would struggle in longer bouts after his return from prison where you saw most of his stamina decline thus costing him his speed. His style was just nonstop power and movement and to keep that up for 12 rounds is just nearly impossible. You end up gassed. Its why so many wanted to target his body. Helped he was short and he bounced low so much because it protected him from that and forced them into his head which was super guarded with his Peek A Boo defense that kept his gloves so tight he would literally bite his thumbs sometimes to train his hands to stay up that tight.

Dude was a scary motherfucker and he hasn't lost his power, but his stamina and legs are nowhere what they used to be and that kills your speed and power fast. A fight? No...not likely at all. Not at 53 when your style would wear out a 20 year olds body.

Forever one of the greatest close quarters fighters ever and fuck anyone who tries to deny that claim stating he had a weak division. Yes it wasn't what many faced but watch him work...that close quarters game of his was legitimate. It wouldn't have been as spectacularly one sided in stronger divisions but he'd have still been a champion. Dude is literally what Hajime no Ippo wanted to write about. Power, tight defense, and using Gazelle Punches and Dempsey Rolls to just destroy people with full body lunge style power and ultra fast head, liver, and body combinations all with tight dodging inside to drop folks. Tyson's style was literally a boxing coach experiment with a smaller power guy saying "what are the most powerful inside and outside punches for a short range powerhouse" and forcing a boxer to train them to perfection. Its something people had thought of but never had a fighter able to pull off till Tyson's young powerful physique was discovered and harnessed for it. Dempsey rolls and switching from orthodox to southpaw stances so fast while bouncing below jabs at a moments notice is just one gigantic stamina eater as you throw chains of power shots with both arms rushing them down. Plus telling him if they're too far away to Dempsey roll do essentially a full body leaping straight to harpoon them with a Gazelle punch means even when outside your doing full body exertion with everything behind it to plow your way inside. Every single aspect of his style was the maximum power fighters hardest hitting inside or outside option. It was insane he could do generally do it full bore for 3 rounds straight without slowing at his prime. It was inevitable he'd fade fast and either adapt or leave doing that.

Way to fight Tyson was always jabs run and let him wear down and go for points. Most couldn't survive his rushdown long enough to pull it off. At 53 there is no hope of seeing his style in a ring from him for more than a moment. What he did was shit meant for rallying. Not for the full match. The Dempsey Roll and Gazelle Punch was NEVER meant to be applied for full rounds let alone bouts because they are full body maximum power tools that drain a fighter and Tyson was applying them for his entire fights. Even his in between shots were all powerful hooks, uppercuts and crosses and to do nothing but these things is suicide but he was doing em anyway! Thats why he was so damned exciting and why its impossible for him to keep doin and why no one tries to completely emulate his style and instead only borrow from it to rally.

Last edited:

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
The most overrated boxer of all time

Beating a washed up Larry Holmes and a jumped up light heavyweight Michael Spinks being his only big wins.

He also lacked the heart of a champion

Holyfield and Lewis were a different level

I watched the Tyson v Lewis fight the other day. Tyson's lack of actual boxing craft was so evident in that fight. He was totally humiliated in a way that no 'great' boxer should ever be.

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I watched the Tyson v Lewis fight the other day. Tyson's lack of actual boxing craft was so evident in that fight. He was totally humiliated in a way that no 'great' boxer should ever be.
Tyson was well over a decade removed from his prime at that point. But having said that, Lewis might've been too big and skilled for Tyson even his prime. The fight would've been far more interesting though.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Its like I said...what Tyson mastered was techniques only meant for rallies. He was incredible at them but they are insane to do an entire match as no one was ever supposed to use them that long due to stamina drain. He wouldn't have been spectacular but I still feel he would've been a champion in a stronger division though. What he did is overwhelming and breaks inside outfighting techniques and suffocates other in fighters. He wouldn't have outclassed skilled fighters but he would still have worn them down and broken them in his prime imo. He was just a physical specimen of freakish greatness to do what he did and it would've still carried him to the top in a stronger division but yes it would've been clear he had weaknesses and made his story FAR different. Instead of a monster he'd be seen as a loudmouth who had guts that was just stupid tough in spite of his weaknesses because he'd have taken a LOT more damage and would've been a lot more worn down by the time he finished his fights. I still feel hed have won in a tougher division but the narrative would've been a youth whose power and guts were carrying him more than anything with his insistence on using that style vs more technically rounded professionals.

He was one of the best close quarters fighters bar none. There is NO denying that in spite of his gaps. His footwork is fantastic and he could break inside with just that and his headmovement alone as well. Better outfighters would've presented a major problem to him and made him wear down a lot faster as Holyfield proved though. I still feel that he would've been a champ even in a division that was stronger and that had more outfighters.

Holyfield, as good as he was, is undeniably also very dirty.
Case in point lol
Hasim-Rahman-Al-Bello.png

This is why Tyson lost to Holyfield after taking shit like this.
GrandioseThisChafer.gif

Click that spoiler if you're curious why hothead Tyson completely lost his shit against Holyfield and bit off his ear when after losing to holyfield headbutts to begin with they weren't being called in the rematch.
Holyfield...The man was a master at headbutting , hiding them in his downward approaches inside since he was tall, and lining himself up on folks rushing inside with his planted feet and a lowered head to let them drive themselves into those headbutts as well. Thats how he first beat Tyson's outfighter breaking gazelle punches if you recall. He read the punch, set his feet and lowered his head and TYSON KNOCKED OUT TYSON. He impaled his full force that was meant to travel down his arm into that gazelle punch into an impact into his own head by diving into a braced Holyfield who had lined himself up with a headbutt. Tyson's legs were gone after he literally hit himself with every ounce of force he could by driving his skull into that headbutt and from there you saw the legendary rally of Holyfield to capitalize on a Tyson whose legs were obviously gone and who could no longer keep using either his power or footwork to dodge. That Gazelle punch breaks guards and usually you cant even impale them with a straight because its hard to catch them at just the right moment to stiff arm them without them blasting through and causing your shot to graze across their head instead of stopping it. But a full body feet plant like that for a headbutt will take it down.

Could've wouldve should've though. We'll never know. All we can do is look at the data and tapes. He was great at what he did and as narrow as it was it was overwhelming to put up with in his prime for so many rounds. I feel it still would've made him a champ in his prime even in a stronger division though his wins would come at far great cost and far less spectacular finishes. As he got older the toll it took on him robbed him of his stamina too much and revealed his gaps and its why longterm he wasn't viable as a champion.

Last edited:

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
In a boxing ring?

For sure.

Weight matters a lot when you're wearing gloves and have strict rules. Bruce is fast and likely has 1000x more stamina, but the ring is only so big.

In a street fight?

Bruce is probably going to use a dirty kick to push/bend Mike's leading knee back the wrong way while he's walking. Boxing isn't fighting. It could go either way there.
Boxing isn't fighting lmfaoooo. Yet Bruce Lee's show Kung Fu is lol?

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
That's still fast with a lot of power. Damn.
That would destroy a liver.

Please, not the Bruce Lee shit again. People wouldn't be able to identify Bruce Lee anymore if he had a fight with Tyson. Street- or ring.

No one else noticed these are sped up? Look at the person in the background, they move too fast and unnatural.

He was a gifted fighter, but these two gifs look sped up
They're not.

Last edited:

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boxing isn't fighting lmfaoooo. Yet Bruce Lee's show Kung Fu is lol?
No, boxing isn't fucking fighting.

Its a sport, with strict rules.

King fu that allows you to poke people in the eyes and throat, throw them and break bones?

Uh, yes, that's 1000x closer to a street fight.

Fake edit: lmfaooooooo (am I doing it right)

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Bruce Lee is real life anime to his fans, I had people argue to me that he would speed blitz Muhammad Ali. Lee is getting his ass kicked by most professional fighters

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017

King fu that allows you to poke people in the eyes and throat, throw them and break bones?

And a boxer is going to have superior footwork, distancing, and hand speed.

This also doesn't mention that the majority trained in Kung Fu aren't going to have actual combat experience outside of light sparring.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
Its like I said...what Tyson mastered was techniques only meant for rallies. He was incredible at them but they are insane to do an entire match as no one was ever supposed to use them that long due to stamina drain. He wouldn't have been spectacular but I still feel he would've been a champion in a stronger division though. What he did is overwhelming and breaks inside outfighting techniques and suffocates other in fighters. He wouldn't have outclassed skilled fighters but he would still have worn them down and broken them in his prime imo. He was just a physical specimen of freakish greatness to do what he did and it would've still carried him to the top in a stronger division but yes it would've been clear he had weaknesses and made his story FAR different. Instead of a monster he'd be seen as a loudmouth who had guts that was just stupid tough in spite of his weaknesses because he'd have taken a LOT more damage and would've been a lot more worn down by the time he finished his fights. I still feel hed have won in a tougher division but the narrative would've been a youth whose power and guts were carrying him more than anything with his insistence on using that style vs more technically rounded professionals.

He was one of the best close quarters fighters bar none. There is NO denying that in spite of his gaps. His footwork is fantastic and he could break inside with just that and his headmovement alone as well. Better outfighters would've presented a major problem to him and made him wear down a lot faster as Holyfield proved though. I still feel that he would've been a champ even in a division that was stronger and that had more outfighters.

Holyfield, as good as he was, is undeniably also very dirty.
Case in point lol
Hasim-Rahman-Al-Bello.png

Click that spoiler if you're curious why hothead Tyson completely lost his shit against Holyfield and bit off his ear when after losing to holyfield headbutts to begin with they weren't being called in the rematch.
Holyfield...The man was a master at headbutting , hiding them in his downward approaches inside since he was tall, and lining himself up on folks rushing inside with his planted feet and a lowered head to let them drive themselves into those headbutts as well. Thats how he first beat Tyson's outfighter breaking gazelle punches if you recall. He read the punch, set his feet and lowered his head and TYSON KNOCKED OUT TYSON. He impaled his full force that was meant to travel down his arm into that gazelle punch into an impact into his own head by diving into a braced Holyfield who had lined himself up with a headbutt. Tyson's legs were gone after he literally hit himself with every ounce of force he could by driving his skull into that headbutt and from there you saw the legendary rally of Holyfield to capitalize on a Tyson whose legs were obviously gone and who could no longer keep using either his power or footwork to dodge. That Gazelle punch breaks guards and usually you cant even impale them with a straight because its hard to catch them at just the right moment to stiff arm them without them blasting through and causing your shot to graze across their head instead of stopping it. But a full body feet plant like that for a headbutt will take it down.

Could've wouldve should've though. We'll never know. All we can do is look at the data and tapes. He was great at what he did and as narrow as it was it was overwhelming to put up with in his prime for so many rounds. I feel it still would've made him a champ in his prime even in a stronger division though his wins would come at far great cost and far less spectacular finishes. As he got older the toll it took on him robbed him of his stamina too much and revealed his gaps and its why longterm he wasn't viable as a champion.

Just want to thank you for these comments, super interesting stuff.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017

High there. I actually TRAINED in Kung Fu. It can largely be divided in three subsects forms be damned. Performance, Applicable sparring, kata. Dont belive me? Read Matthew Polly's American Shaolin to find out that is LITERALLY how they divide kung fu at the very temples currently. The first is a lot of tumbling and choreography and it popularized it, the last is focused plyometrics, breathing, calisthenics and control and is what it originated as for health purposes. The Applicable sparring is far far far less flashy and is in fact used in tournaments and outside. Its not meant for fights but more to end them. Its generally a oneshot mentality in most of its applied forms. It is not in fact in any system that I have ever seen, studied or discussed a system of martial arts at its core in any form designed for a long fight. It is meant to stop, kill or disable and usually singular opponents. Yes many multiple assailant strats abound, but it relies on breaks and disabling strikes to joints. Its major weakness is when on the ground or grappling. It loses heartily in most all systems and forms to heavily concentrated ground systems of fighting. It also loses quite often surprisingly enough to the power styles of boxing. If a kung fu practitioner fails to take out the legs or ground a boxer they are in a lot of trouble as the inside techniques in most applied kung fu is precision based strikes and joint manipulation. It is very very very hard to take on a pro boxer caliber fighter and overwhelm their strength to gain manipulation of their joints as the power in their shots win in trade situations and their return to tucked positions defeat many locking attempts. Boxers are left weak to throws in these exchanges primarily along with trips. But again...its very very hard to take the punishment in exchanges to land these.

Essentially if a kung fu practitioner fails to ground and end the fight vs a pro level boxer on the first approach he's very likely to suffer too much damage from the exchange to have the balance and precision needed to fully apply his craft. Its a precision combat style meant to end in single shots...if it fails to disable and end things quickly it generally broke down vs boxers and ground fighters.

Yes I know my sifu probably hates me for this, but largely kung fu techniques lose in bout style situations or vs crowds of combatants with any skill. It lacks power in flurry situations and relies on too much precision and takedown techniques to not get overwhelmed in MMA or even Boxer vs Kung Fu scenarios. Its best function really is as a killing art. Its great if one shotting is what your after...but good luck getting it vs a boxer IMO. VS a grappler sure honestly. They seek the choke or the limb break which leaves kungfu free to practice its precision, its cutting hand techniques to vitals like phoenix fist strikes, and overall nasty shit.

But vs a boxer as a kung fu practitioner I'll tell you fuck that. If we dont get em on the ground and do something severe right away we will lose every single time. Kung fu is not built for long fight scenarios and boxing is nothing but applicable long fight minded shit designed to inflict as much damage as possible in strikes meant to wear down or knockout opponents. In not focusing itself as a killing art it essentially perfected itself into a force that defeats most systems that at their core originated in the concept of one shot ending fights because they were designed to kill. How? By simply knowing it could do enough damage if they failed to break its defense in its first approaches at them. Boxers punch so hard they break their own fists if they dont tape and pad with gloves. Thats not the kind of power kung fu could generate with its training at short range or without special strikes that are generally a lot of piledriver or whip style stuff that takes far too much setup to just pull off at random.

If you had touted Muay Thai instead of Kung Fu i'd have gave that too you. Its boxing plus distilling strikes and takedowns from what is known as Horse Style Kung Fu. Its the most applicable martial art I feel their is to any scenario. But Kung Fu vs Boxing? As an ex practitioner with ring experience I will give you a flat no.
Just want to thank you for these comments, super interesting stuff.
I've lead an interesting life. I was a pro wrestler, and did shaolin do kung fu in my 20's. I spent an insane amount of time studying combat sports and later as an animator I poured a shitload of effort into combining applicable knowledge , martial strategy and study of kinematics in general to try and produce something to make a living off of. Sadly I entered the field during the collapse of many studios and facebook gaming around the time THQ and hundreds of others vaporized so I had to leave about a decade or more of effort behind due to an oversaturated market of veteran talent.

It still lets me chime in on fight analysis though and I love sharing some of the analysis stuff when I can. You'd be surprised how much there is to combat sports and how much of it goes completely out the window once you have to actively defend between attacks or have to take a hit. Its why I spent a looooooooong time studying boxers. When they say footwork or technique they are deadly serious. Boxers are trained for a real fight. Not target area strikes that result in death or a point and breaking apart to neutral corners like many martial arts. Its why its so prevalent in MMA. It trains how to cope with a fight where someone keeps goin and your not allowed to kill or get away with maiming which is what REAL FIGHTS are actually like if you've ever been in them.
Fantasy shit where I'll just break their arm or blind them or kill them goes out the window when you have to actually face that choice and it ovewhelms a lot of trained fighters in real world scenarios or even in ring bouts. You simply can't get away with that shit and you suddenly realize thats what Kung Fu, Taekwondo, and a large amount of karate systems all emphasize. Shit you simply can't get away with doing in society...and often that cannot be done under real combat pressure from a trained boxer or grappler anyways. Theres a reason Muay Thai, Jiu Jitsu and Boxing dominate pro fight worlds.

Last edited:

Big Baybee

Oct 27, 2017
In a boxing ring?

For sure.

Weight matters a lot when you're wearing gloves and have strict rules. Bruce is fast and likely has 1000x more stamina, but the ring is only so big.

In a street fight?

Bruce is probably going to use a dirty kick to push/bend Mike's leading knee back the wrong way while he's walking. Boxing isn't fighting. It could go either way there.
Can you post a vid of Bruce Lee in an actual fight?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
We have threads about how sexual assault victims must be feeling right now because of Biden and then this convicted rapist gets a thread about how well he's taking care of himself? Is there an Era statute of limitations?
But he went to jail and paid his due to society. Are people how were convicted supposed to be living out their lives in seclusion or something?

I don't get your point at all.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
The person outside the ring moves in a very jerky weird fashion. Looks unnatural and sped up to me. But I'll defer to your "no"

Also view the back left side of the 2nd gif of the man walking in the door. Between that person and one walking off screen I would not assume it is sped up. Unless of course you believe the sped up everything but those two individuals, which I'm pretty sure can't happen.

That's all Mike.