• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
I get why it seems strange (and again, it's probably the reason Trout has almost no national presence in terms of marketing and endorsements, especially compared to NFL or NBA players), but there is a ton of money pouring in regionally is what people need to wrap their heads around. Like college sports are also very regional and those are billion dollar industries (in the case of football and basketball) and have tv money coming out their asses.

In a world where people are cutting the cord, dropping cable contracts, and appointment television is becoming increasingly rare, networks are going to throw a shit load of money at live sports.
Like you allude to, the top NBA players have national TV ads, signature sneakers and clothing lines, endorsements and commercials with some of the biggest companies in the world. They've got massive global stardom. Other than Bryce Harper I don't think any baseball players have a national presence. And if he didn't have the flamboyant hair he'd be largely unknown, too.

But it's the baseball guys getting 10+ year, $300-400m playing contracts.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Curry already signed an extension that will take him probably through his prime. And the way the NBA is set up there is a ceiling on how much max per season a player can earn based on a percentage of the salary cap.
No, I know. But that number is gonna go way up. As I said, we should wait till the Max FAs like Durant sign this summer, especially if they go for max years/dollars and see what those numbers look like.

No question they could get more without a cap, but they'll be getting a pretty big amount considering they're not signing 13 year contracts. I think their current structure is fine, they're getting paid 49-51% of basketball related income
https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/07/early-maximum-salary-projections-for-201920.html
pFEuVIf.png

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Like you allude to, the top NBA players have national TV ads, signature sneakers and clothing lines, endorsements and commercials with some of the biggest companies in the world. They've got massive global stardom. Other than Bryce Harper I don't think any baseball players have a national presence. And if he didn't have the flamboyant hair he'd be largely unknown, too.

That explains why those guys are more well known, and make way more in terms of endorsements, than Trout does. But for the Angels I'm not sure why that would play into what they are willing to pay him. That is based on his on field performance, and off the field pays off in their local TV deal.

Nov 16, 2017
The soft cap is the reason KD was able to go to the Warriors and leave small market OKC. The soft cap serves to limit overall salaries and ensure that teams can pocket more revenue. It does zero to enforce parity. There will never be parity in the NBA. There never has been.
The cap does nothing to limit overall salaries. The maximum contract does. Those things are separate. The maximum contract limits top end earners in order to give that money back to the rest of the field. Imagine if society had a maximum earnings for everyone. We would have no ultra billionaires and the money they earn would be given back to everyone else.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
The contracts have literally no bearing on attendance costs going up.

Well then I wonder how teams like the Mets went from $36 face value on my old season tickets to $90+ for similar seats once Citifield was built.

That's when I was officially priced out and stopped getting those tickets.

Something caused me to get priced out and I haven't been to Citifield since an exhibition game with the Redsox shortly before it opened.

Hassel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good for him, he is the best player in baseball

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017

Blame the NBA union for wanting parity. Also there 42 NBA players making over $20 million annually vs 36 MLB players.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so, Soooo out of Baseball. I don't know who this is.

Does Mark Lemke still play? Ron Gant?

Sid Bream???

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
The cap does nothing to limit overall salaries. The maximum contract does. Those things are separate. The maximum contract limits top end earners in order to give that money back to the rest of the field. Imagine if society had a maximum earnings for everyone. We would have no ultra billionaires and the money they earn would be given back to everyone else.

You are right in regards to the max contract, but the soft cap also works to limit how much teams can pay for a player, which works in conjunction with the max contract ceiling. Like if a team wanted to spend $50 million on Kevin Durant Or LeBron James, let them.

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
Holy shit. If you have the choice as one of the lucky few with 2 sport ability; I can't possible imagine why you'd choose anything over baseball. The contracts are great & you take the least amount of physical abuse on the body.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
Well then I wonder how teams like the Mets went from $36 face value on my old season tickets to $90+ for similar seats once Citifield was built.

Something caused me to get priced out and I haven't been to Citifield since an exhibition game with the Redsox shortly before it opened.

Because that's what people are willing to pay.

A World Series appearance in 2015 doesn't help matters either because playoffs tend to be excuses to raise ticket prices because "demand is higher."

But no, contracts with players aren't the determining factor in ticket prices.

All that said this contract is going to be terrible for Major League Baseball and is going to make those labor discussions with the Union very difficult. A lot of players aren't happy with how free agency has been the past couple of years but owners will point to what the Angels are doing with Trout, Harper, and Machado to say they're still giving players monster contracts. But Trout being stuck with the Angels for the next 12 years I don't think is good for the sport. He'll continue being the best player in the sport that no one in the general public knows. Part of that, as Manfred alluded to, is on him because he doesn't want the limelight. But being on a mediocre team that will be hamstrung with his albatross of a contract would mean banking on the idea that maybe their farm system can produce some real talent around him. I doubt it would be enough though. But I guess the money at the end of the day is more important than championships for Trout.

Last edited:

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck this is depressing. i wanted him to be at the yankees. he wouldve made Sanchez, Judge and Stanton all better around him.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Rising costs are almost entirely due to inflation and owners wanting additional revenue for overhead, as well as a shift in total revenue percentages. Citi costs more because Shea was falling apart and cost less to price out the average gameday watch. Prices at every major NYC venue have gone up at a similar clip over the last decade. Average ticket price has gone up league wide about $10, that has nothing to do with player salaries. Total ticket revenue has remained consistent league wide while dropping almost 8% in total percentage of league revenue, this is why prices have risen. People pay more, so ticket prices go higher. That's just how the league does it.

The Mets on average are one of the cheapest teams in the league in terms of ticket prices. At around $27 per ticket.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017

The soft cap absolutely limits salaries. A team could have a roster full of superstars if it wanted and was willing to pay them fmv. For example GSW could pay their starting 5 max money. This would force other teams to overpay the top 25-50 guys like they were max players.

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
No trade clauses are often waived. It's more about giving the player control in the process.

well yeah, but without it, the team would be looking at potential prospect haul sooner than he would be looking to join a winner, presumably.

i'm also not counting the angels out from competing for the next 12 years.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit. If you have the choice as one of the lucky few with 2 sport ability; I can't possible imagine why you'd choose anything over baseball. The contracts are great & you take the least amount of physical abuse on the body.
you still have to play every single day for 7 months straight. 9 if your team is good and makes the playoffs.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Blame the NBA union for wanting parity. Also there 42 NBA players making over $20 million annually vs 36 MLB players.
Don't get me wrong, I realize that NBA players are making bank. It's just that the top basketball players just feel like they justify the big bucks. The big matchups like Warriors vs anyone or when two really good teams are playing feel like big time events.

Idk, it's hard to put into words. I find it hard to picture someone who isn't a fan of the Angels tuning in to watch Trout play regularly. That's where the disconnect is with me.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth

A World Series appearance in 2015 doesn't help matters either because playoffs tend to be excuses to raise ticket prices because "demand is higher."

Well I guess I learned something new. Mets just suck and charge too much and they are rated 10 of 15 in attendance so obviously it isn't just me who isn't going.

Good for Trout though. I would love to have him on the Mets.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

All that said this contract is going to be terrible for Major League Baseball and is going to make those labor discussions with the Union very difficult. A lot of players aren't happy with how free agency has been the past couple of years but owners will point to what the Angels are doing with Trout, Harper, and Machado to say they're still giving players monster contracts. But Trout being stuck with the Angels for the next 12 years I don't think is good for the sport. He'll continue being the best player in the sport that no one in the general public knows. Part of that, as Manfred alluded to, is on him because he doesn't want the limelight. But being on a mediocre team that will be hamstrung with his albatross of a contract would mean banking on the idea that maybe their farm system can produce some real talent around him. I doubt it would be enough though. But I guess the money at the end of the day is more important than championships for Trout.
This is such a bad take.

Literally nothing guarantees that if he leaves the Angels that he'd compete for a title. This attitude is dumb and needs to die.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Don't get me wrong, I realize that NBA players are making bank. It's just that the top basketball players just feel like they justify the big bucks. The big matchups like Warriors vs anyone or when two really good teams are playing feel like big time events.

Idk, it's hard to put into words. I find it hard to picture someone who isn't a fan of the Angels tuning in to watch Trout play regularly. That's where the disconnect is with me.

Understood. Yet baseball local TV money is there to facilitate such contracts. So either TV execs are off their rocker or there is a regional market there. Anyhow, NFL players are getting the real short end of the stick on this one.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
Well I guess I learned something new. Mets just suck and charge too much and they are rated 10 of 15 in attendance so obviously it isn't just me who isn't going.

Wilpons would never pay that kind of money. Hell they're still straining themselves over the idea of bringing up Pete Alonso at the start of this year instead of leaving him in Triple-A for a few weeks to keep his arbitration clock from starting. Not to mention using Cespedes as their excuse for not being interested in Harper or Machado, a guy who they're making insurance money back on while being well under the salary cap.

Trout was never going to come to the Mets.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The Mets on average have only increased ticket prices like 23% since 2009. And are routinely top-10 in league attendance. Other teams that made WS appearances or title runs have increased their average price WAY more.

gimmmick

Nov 26, 2017
As an A's fan, great.... we get to go up against trout for another decade. As a fan of baseball, I'm happy for the guy. Probably my favorite player in the league now. He's going to worth every penny.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I'm going to be honest. Having not watched much of Mike Trout play ball, I went to check out his stats.

I guess I need to watch him play, because I am unfamiliar with a state of the game where batting ~.300 with ~40 home runs qualified someone as the undisputed best offensive player in the sport.

Can someone tell me a bit more about what makes him special? Is it the combination of solid BA + home run potential? OBP?

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
well yeah, but without it, the team would be looking at potential prospect haul sooner than he would be looking to join a winner, presumably.

i'm also not counting the angels out from competing for the next 12 years.

People and teams change.

Everything about how Trout and Angels have conducted their dealings have been about checks and balances. I think if some of those other clauses snuck in, you're looking at a higher asking price.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
The Mets on average have only increased ticket prices like 23% since 2009. And are routinely top-10 in league attendance. Other teams that made WS appearances or title runs have increased their average price WAY more.

Is that average price increase? My seats were the old blue seats right behind field level at Shea on the 3rd base line. Face value then was ~$36.

When Citifield was built I was offered similar seats because mine no longer existed. Price was ~$60. I think they were for tickets in the 300s section.

Realized my other posts said $90. That was incorrect, just confirmed with my father who says it went from mid 30s to 60. Apologies for the incorrect info.

I always assumed that jump was either them pushing the cost of the stadium off on us or the cost of the players. Parking jumped around that time too.

Either way it is what it is. I no longer attend games due to cost now and watch at home when I can. It's just a shame at the cost for a family of 3 to see a game these days.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
I'm going to be honest. Having not watched much of Mike Trout play ball, I went to check out his stats.

I guess I need to watch him play, because I am unfamiliar with a state of the game where batting ~.300 with ~40 home runs qualified someone as the undisputed best offensive player in the sport.

Can someone tell me a bit more about what makes him special? Is it the combination of solid BA + home run potential? OBP?

He's the best overall player. Every aspect of his game is top-notch.
He has been Top 3 in WAR for 6 of the last 7 seasons, including being the #1 in WAR in 3 of those seasons (2012, 2013, 2016). And this is on a mediocre team where he is routinely pitched around.

Last edited:

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
This is such a bad take.

Literally nothing guarantees that if he leaves the Angels that he'd compete for a title. This attitude is dumb and needs to die.

What have the Angels ever done to make you think that they're going to compete for anything aside from having Mike Trout on the team? Signing Albert Pujols? More recently paying Matt Harvey an underserved $13 million? Picking up a declining Lucroy? The side-show that is Shohei Otani?

I remember last year when all the articles and takes coming out were "The Angels are going all in! The team to beat!" And what happened? 80-82. In fact, since he was called up in 2012 the Angels have only ever had three winning seasons with one playoff appearance. That doesn't exactly scream to me as a potential free agent that this is a team that will win, and if I were in his shoes I'd be going to an actual contender. If winning is important then maybe the Angels sold him on some moves they're going to be making in the near future. I don't know. But you can't with a straight face tell me that the Angels are a contender for the World Series even in the next three-four years.

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville

He's is incredibly gifted in terms of batting vision, fielding, and a hell of a defender.
He may be the greatest to ever play at the end of his career. His WAR(wins he's responsible for) is ludicrous with 8 per year.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
he will forever be on a garbage team, such a waste of talent. The dude is far and above the best baseball player and its not even close. He deserves better than the angels.

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017

He is top 5 in career batting average among current players. He's always near the tops in on base percentage, runs scored/batted in, slugging percentage and bases stolen each year. Oh, that's despite being one of the most walked players in the league. AND he's good on defense... Dude is kind of a baseball god.

he will forever be on a garbage team, such a waste of talent. The dude is far and above the best baseball player and its not even close. He deserves better than the angels.

I'm sure he'll let you know how he feels about your hot take after he's done bathing in his Scrooge McDuck style money vault and then ends his career being seen as maybe the best to ever play despite being on some garbage rosters.

Trout is like the Bizarro Lebron. He's content just being the goat playing in a place he enjoys and doesn't desperately need to try prove his status to the world with championships. Respect.

Last edited:

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Always seemed weird to me as a non-baseball fan how they get paid so much more than the other major sports. With a few exceptions, you tune in to just about any baseball game and the stadiums are 70% empty. Baseball doesn't seem nearly as popular and the players are nowhere near as athletic yet they're paid these mind blowing, fully guarenteed contracts.
yea, not quite.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really understand why people are talking as though the Angels are one of the worst teams in baseball, have always been so, and always will be. "What have they ever done to make you think they're going to compete for anything?" They're in a bad hole right now, with a record that puts them firmly in the middle of the pack in the AL, but they spent most of the 2000s competing heavily, including a championship win, and had the best record in baseball five seasons ago.

I'm not saying they're the Yankees historically, but if Moreno pulls his head out of his ass, there's no reason he can't build at least a playoff team with Trout as the keystone.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
I don't really understand why people are talking as though the Angels are one of the worst teams in baseball, have always been so, and always will be. "What have they ever done to make you think they're going to compete for anything?" They're in a bad hole right now, with a record that puts them firmly in the middle of the pack in the AL, but they spent most of the 2000s competing heavily, including a championship win, and had the best record in baseball five seasons ago.

I'm not saying they're the Yankees historically, but if Moreno pulls his head out of his ass, there's no reason he can't build at least a playoff team with Trout as the keystone.

The problem is they have a ton of money out in a few players, some of which they don't even have on their field. I mean Pujols is a big money sink, and are they still paying Josh Hamilton?