• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
Think in that ringer article it implied he was grooming Ken for the role. Ken may have been source for that so grain of salt of course lol.

However, In various interviews in years before his death he named Coates, Ben Mankiewicz (TCM) and Alex Faust (LA Kings announcer) as potential hosts. Would like them to get a shot in next guest host carousel if there is one + Jimmy and Sarah of the Clue Crew.

Ben would be good.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Is it too much to ask that they hire someone who doesn't have a public, well documented history of saying and doing shitty things? If the internet can find it in less than a minute then what are they doing over there?

They are absolutely not deep dive researching. The Internet and some journalists are far more invested in this search than anyone at Sony Pictures Televsion is.

Seriously, aside from Mike Richards and Ken Jennings, I don't think any of the leaders/executives mentioned in this thread are under 65. No one working there is used to the instant scrutiny.

But they'll pick someone eventually. There's no real rush.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
And yet Jennings is a horrible person with almost as many skeletons in his closet as Richards, being a massive ableist asshole and all.
I haven't followed Jennings closely but I don't recall anything about him that stuck in my mind that made him a horrible person, maybe just some maybe not great person type things?

Unless he's a rapist or something and I missed it?

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Dre, in his sense of humor, his clear appreciation for the game and ability to root for the contestants, and the way the show has been pretty radically reworked around him over the last 15 years (and radically cut down too due to more ads!), have reached a point where everyone realizes that he isn't Bob, but he's a great host of The Price is Right.
A good example of this is the legendary entrance sequence.

It's no coincidence that once they stopped introducing Drew as the star and instead introduced him as the host, that's when things really took off.
And it's funny it took them that long to do it, since in the Richards audition tape I posted above, he's introduced as the host, lol.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see people say this but I have a hard time believing there's this massive untapped audience that has been waiting the last 30 years for Alex Trebek to die before finally deciding to start watching Jeopardy regularly.

There isn't, it's just one of the main arguments for Burton, so you see it all over the internet, from people who have never watched Jeopardy on a regular basis

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
This was one of the things I liked best about Bialik's run - it sometimes felt like she was learning the answer at the same time. Sort of an "oh, that's interesting" response. It felt very different from Trebek, but I liked it.

I had the opposite reaction to a lot of these. Especially because you know she has read and re-read all the clues and correct responses that morning in prep for the taping, so it isn't actually new to her in that moment

(though, as a whole, I really enjoyed Bialik as the host, and I think she's going to be a great host, and in particular for the audience broadening primetime tournaments!)

Oct 25, 2017
why do people keep trying to make this a thing? like it was bad taste or something? he said he'd like to succeed Alex as host, he didn't do anything underhanded or dishonest. Just what I've seen a few Daily Mail readers refer to as impolite.

"campaigning while Alex was still alive" was he trying to capture Waterloo or something?
Fucking this, thank you

It was one tweet from Burton and while Trebek was doing well, too.

There isn't, it's just one of the main arguments for Burton, so you see it all over the internet, from people who have never watched Jeopardy on a regular basis
Just so I get this right

- people "all over the internet"
- who don't watch Jeopardy regularly
- expressing this much interest and suggesting more people would watch the show if Burton hosted

Besides the obvious inference here, I find it interesting that you know the viewing habits of all of these people. I've had my beliefs characterized in the same way and I'm a regular viewer.

Also, having a black host a nightly program, not to mention JEOPARDY, would be pretty awesome for POC and visible minorities generally. I'm not going to suggest that executives make those calculations, because they don't, but people in here have used 1970s MTV logic about why they shouldn't put a black person in the role and it's embarrassing.

Oct 25, 2017
Texas

It's no coincidence that once they stopped introducing Drew as the star and instead introduced him as the host, that's when things really took off.
And it's funny it took them that long to do it, since in the Richards audition tape I posted above, he's introduced as the host, lol.

i don't really care about cinematography but loved this. Thanks for sharing.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Bailik could be on the chopping block next, kotaku article.

kotaku.com

Oh No, Jeopardy!’s Other New Host Is Pretty Bad Too

Mayim Bialik may not have the same baggage as Mike Richards, but it’s clear Jeopardy! is in a hosting crisis
And the flip side of that coin says that Bialik is now the new front runner.

www.tmz.com

'Jeopardy!' Accommodating Mayim Bialik's Schedule, Still Wants Her Full-Time

"Jeopardy!" honchos really want Mayim Bialik to step in as new daily host following the quick exit of Mike Richards.

They need to stop the guest host clown car.

Name a host. Whoever the hell it is, but don't drag this out over more weeks. They're destroying the Jeopardy! brand. It's becoming tabloid television, instead of this supposed dignified quiz show.

On the plus side, in like 5 years, it's gonna make one hell of an HBO miniseries.

AaronD

Dec 1, 2017
I'm still pulling for Aaron Rogers. Someone asked him about hosting recently, and he said he would find a way to make it work with his schedule if he was offered.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
Didn't Burton have the lowest ratings of any of the hosts?

It doesn't seem like too many people were THAT eager to see him as the host.

I think it's hard to view that as a fair metric. By the time he hosted there was already a stink of "please get this over with" hovering over the show, and his run coincided with the start of the Olympics. I know the Olympics didn't exactly set the ratings on fire, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was some fair amount of crossover between potential Jeopardy audience and the Olympics in general.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Joe Buck was the best host cause he already IS a host for a living. If they could get him to do it and work around his schedule it would be perfect, but I doubt they can.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
And the flip side of that coin says that Bialik is now the new front runner.

www.tmz.com

'Jeopardy!' Accommodating Mayim Bialik's Schedule, Still Wants Her Full-Time

"Jeopardy!" honchos really want Mayim Bialik to step in as new daily host following the quick exit of Mike Richards.

They need to stop the guest host clown car.

Name a host. Whoever the hell it is, but don't drag this out over more weeks. They're destroying the Jeopardy! brand. It's becoming tabloid television, instead of this supposed dignified quiz show.

On the plus side, in like 5 years, it's gonna make one hell of an HBO miniseries.
The thing I don't get about this is...if her normal schedule was always going to make it hard or impossible to make her the host to begin with, then why have her audition at all?

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
Those C section comments are vile.

I hadn't heard those until JUST NOW and I'm like "WTF???"

That commentary isn't just hateful but it's amazingly ignorant. My mother almost died giving birth the first time, leading to the doctors deciding it would be best for future births to be done via C-section. But I guess according to her my mom should have died giving birth to me instead.

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's hard to view that as a fair metric. By the time he hosted there was already a stink of "please get this over with" hovering over the show, and his run coincided with the start of the Olympics. I know the Olympics didn't exactly set the ratings on fire, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was some fair amount of crossover between potential Jeopardy audience and the Olympics in general.

But their core point remains. People demanded Burton, he got put on and no one tuned in. If he was the must have host people say the ratings would have spiked.

You could argue it's partially due to cable but the main point remains

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
JFC can we please just have Lavar already? This feels like a Daniel Bryan situation where the fans clearly want something the execs don't.

Oct 25, 2017
Joe Buck was the best host cause he already IS a host for a living. If they could get him to do it and work around his schedule it would be perfect, but I doubt they can.

Buck may be a lifeless robot when calling games but he's really good at calling games. This is the thing many have accepted about him. It also doesn't help his in booth partner is usually Troy aikman who has moosh brain and an even worse dry, dull, lifeless personality

aftunnels

Banned
Jul 23, 2021

David Faber, who was completely forgettable, was faced with similar circumstances (Olympics, late host, etc.) outperformed Burton. Joe Buck, who was terrible, and was AFTER Burton significantly outperformed Burton during his run.

The fact of the matter is he finished dead last and there isn't some pent up Burton demand.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
David Faber, who was completely forgettable, was faced with similar circumstances (Olympics, late me host, etc.) outperformed Burton. Joe Buck, who was terrible, was AFTER Burton significantly outperformed Burton during his run.

The fact of the matter is he finished dead last and there isn't some pent up Levar Burton demand.

Hmm, fair enough.

I think Joe Buck was actually surprisingly good though :P

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
JFC can we please just have Lavar already? This feels like a Daniel Bryan situation where the fans clearly want something the execs don't.
The fans don't want him, though. Twitter wants him. A loud group of ERA wants him. His ratings tanked, and his performance was universally panned, including by himself.

Dr. Oz ate his lunch ratings wise, and he was fucking hated.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
But their core point remains. People demanded Burton, he got put on and no one tuned in. If he was the must have host people say the ratings would have spiked.

You could argue it's partially due to cable but the main point remains
FYI not only was it the week of the olympics but it also didn't air on most of the normal stations and he only got 1 week vs 80% of the other judges 2

Corncob

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Oct 25, 2017
FYI not only was it the week of the olympics but it also didn't air on most of the normal stations and he only got 1 week vs 80% of the other judges 2

But if there's this supposed huge untapped base of fans demanding it then ratings would still pop. Facts are Levar was not that good and not this huge demand people seem to think he is.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
I think the thing people are ignoring a little bit here is that Ken Jennings has the quality many of the other guest hosts didn't - you believed he knew the answers.

Trebek probably knew half-to-2/3s of them, and that's better than most, but you always believed he knew them. And that is unmistakably a key factor to the host of this job. The reactions to right / wrong answers have to be quick, have to be surprised when a really bad answer happens, or sympathetic when there were 2 good answers and they picked the wrong one.

It's why Katie Couric came off so weird when she was like "look at all these SMARTIES". Like, this is Jeopardy! it's a pinnacle of the US Trivia Circuit, and it should be treated as such. This isn't a bar room quiz bowl, these are elite competitors who have trained years or months for this chance and moment.

----

The other thing is someone brought up Drew vs Bob on Price. I don't think anyone could quickly "settle in" to Price is Right, considering that there are basically zero other audience participation shows out there to learn the ropes with.

Much like Bob Barker, no one will ever be Alex Trebek. But you don't need to say "genre" the same way as Trebek, or set up contestants the way Bob Barker did to be successful. Dre, in his sense of humor, his clear appreciation for the game and ability to root for the contestants, and the way the show has been pretty radically reworked around him over the last 15 years (and radically cut down too due to more ads!), have reached a point where everyone realizes that he isn't Bob, but he's a great host of The Price is Right.
Great post that encapsulates my feelings as someone who has watched jeopardy basically every day for years and years

Aug 12, 2019
But if there's this supposed huge untapped base of fans demanding it then ratings would still pop. Facts are Levar was not that good and not this huge demand people seem to think he is.

It's worth pointing out that not only did Levar have a relatively stacked disadvantage, his name isn't really the immediate star power like Aaron Rodgers or many of the other hosts and he could be long-term great for the show specifically because he is less of an immediate star. I think Levar improved substantially as his week went on and the idea that a Jeopardy host solely has to be chosen on the basis of how good their ratings were in their run feels a bit fundamentally flawed as a concept and clearly not a focus when Richards got the gig in the first place before they removed him.

I'm not gonna say Burton is the only choice or that his love may not be a bit exaggerated online, but I don't think people should be so quick to write him off or consider how long term he could bring more to the role in a healthy way for Jeopardy. Especially since we seem to be jumping from one problematic host to the next at this time in ways that aren't great for the show anyway. Burton is relatively clean by all comparisons and it's also worth noting he probably had the least amount of prep time and opportunity of all the hosts since he was able to host by fan campaign to begin with.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
It's worth pointing out that not only did Levar have a relatively stacked disadvantage, his name isn't really the immediate star power like Aaron Rodgers or many of the other hosts and he could be long-term great for the show specifically because he is less of an immediate star. I think Levar improved substantially as his week went on and the idea that a Jeopardy host solely has to be chosen on the basis of how good their ratings were in their run feels a bit fundamentally flawed as a concept and clearly not a focus when Richards got the gig in the first place before they removed him.

I'm not gonna say Burton is the only choice or that his love may not be a bit exaggerated online, but I don't think people should be so quick to write him off or consider how long term he could bring more to the role in a healthy way for Jeopardy. Especially since we seem to be jumping from one problematic host to the next at this time in ways that aren't great for the show anyway. Burton is relatively clean by all comparisons and it's also worth noting he probably had the least amount of prep time and opportunity of all the hosts since he was able to host by fan campaign to begin with.
And don't forget his week was a single day of filming too. But yeah there's several options including one of Trebek's picks they didn't even let guest host

GG-Duo

Oct 27, 2017

Whoa, this is a really interesting video - and Mike Richards shows up at the end of it, too. It sounds like he was talented in this particular area as a producer. Thanks for sharing it.

Oct 25, 2017

I'm not discrediting his shorter time on the show, or that he did improve some. Nor am I saying ratings should be the sole metric for finding a new host. My whole point is some posters here are insistent there's some kind of overwhelming demand for him to the point of saying he'll tap into some new base of fans, but when his time came ratings didn't pop. Yes Olympics were on, yes they were collectively trending down, but given some of the posts here you'd think there was a massive spike due to him coming in and there just wasn't.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania

I just found another channel to subscribe to.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Age (and his own admittedly poor performance) is probably hurting Burton.

Mayim Bialik is 45 and Mike Richards is 46. I feel like Sony wants someone whose tenure will span decades.

Also, jeez. Sony really somehow ended up choosing the two worst hosts out of the rotation.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bailik could be on the chopping block next, kotaku article.

kotaku.com

Oh No, Jeopardy!’s Other New Host Is Pretty Bad Too

Mayim Bialik may not have the same baggage as Mike Richards, but it’s clear Jeopardy! is in a hosting crisis
Bialik gave credence to the disgusting idea that babies who can't survive a natural birth (as opposed to those delivered through a common surgical procedure known colloquially as a C-section) aren't "favored evolutionarily" and should "pass peacefully."
What the fuck. I have never heard this nonsense before.