• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tuhi009

May 1, 2018
There really isn't much controversy around outside of Era. People were angrier with Watch_Dog 1's downgrade than with this.

Which transphobia? The poster? By that logic one could call GTAV racist, transphobic, and a dozen of other things.

You're portraying this as if Cyberpunk's protagonist proudly proclaims "Fuck fags!" or something.
I was referring to various social issues especially "representation". I understand Watch Dogs controversy. I was expected.

At the end of the day I just want to play a good game.

Oct 25, 2017
Am I missing something or does he not really address why the "Animal" gangs changed from white to black, other than being "okay" with it.

Is that what posters on the first page are parading around as a dunk?

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
I was referring to various social issues especially "representation". I understand Watch Dogs controversy. I was expected.

At the end of the day I just want to play a good game.
I actually don't remember MW2 having a controversy surrounding social issues, only the whole No Russian thing.

The last controversy I remember was surrounding RDR2, in regards to its voice actors (which I felt was unjustified).

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Why does this always get said when someone has something positive to say about Cyberpunk 2077? I feel like these types of comments imply that negative opinions are inherently more correct, and they ironically try to handwave other's interpretation of events.

You have the right to be genuinely offended by something, or the right to think something shouldn't fly. But that doesn't mean that those opinions aren't worthy of criticism either. This is supposed to be a conversation after all, not one group dictating how something should or shouldn't be. Which is why comments from black people or trans people who find no issue with the representation should carry equal weight, with neither type of comment being used to suppress the other.
It's not comments from black people or trans people or women or gay people or any other minority who have no problem with it that I have a problem with - it's the straight white guys that then use their comments to shut down minorities opinions who do have a problem with it, just cus they want to shut down any criticism about their beloved game. Which, c'mon, you know is gonna happen, you can see people already priming it in this thread.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
Am I missing something or does he not really address why the "Animal" gangs changed from white to black, other than being "okay" with it.

The race of the Animals was never stated. The leader of the Animals is a white woman (I think? Hard to tell with 'roids).

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
This guy is spitting out some truths, nice to see him being very hands-on with the game.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
Wow so this thread got me to watch an interview with him and his voice is fucking incredible.
Isn't it the best , there's a video of him running a game of Cyberpunk 2020 for some people at IGN and like one person knew what they were doing but Mike was amazing I wish he would do that for the critical role crew lol

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Hopefully not because what you're referring to is the Voodoo Boys, not the Animals.

The Voodoo Boys were given an explanation in an interview, but doing research/listening, what does it matter when someone has a slam dunk to deliver.

From what we've been told the Animals are simply a gang who juice up, aka, take roids, and they'll probably consist of... anyone in this world who wants to take drugs to bulk up.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017

Voodoo boys was changed from white to black over 50 years.

Pretty sure the Animals gang is new and they're just roided up people.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
I don't have an issue with the voodoo boys or really anything else in Mike's work. The issue to me is cynicism as to how CDPR will actually deal with these things beyond "here's x from the tabletop game" while failing to showcase/highlight the actual satirization or criticism originating from Mike's original idea.

And why is that a issue? Because of the GoG tweets from more than a year ago for which the guy responsible was fired? And after that there was no any other issue with CD Projekt RED when it comes to these issues? I mean, in their Witcher games they handled racism, domestic violence, sexism, oppression, religion, hatred, war and the consenquences of it on the population and countries, etc. with great results.. why do you suddenly think that the writers aren't going to handle them well? I mean, the possibility is of course there, but I just wanted to ask why is this a issue for you right now, when the game is almost one year before release and so far we really don't know much about the themes and the overall story of the game.. a concern? Yeah, of course, even the best writers can easily screw up but an issue now? No reason for it to be an issue.. but that's of course your right, I'm just trying to understand why it's an issue for you :)

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
He describes the world 2077 as something close to what he envisioned in his head.

Sorry, but if he is going to make those statements, I will use him as an authority, in lieu of the fact that nobody else is bothering to support their arguments with any sources.

People might not like an aspect of a vision, but they cannot say what is or isn't cyberpunk, or that it isn't true to what 2020 set out to do.

Great, I'm glad he likes it. Mike's excitement doesn't cancel out the concerns other people have, though.

What arguments are you talking about, anyway? Specifically the cyberpunk thing? Because falling short of the promise of its own vision might as well be one of cyberpunk's defining traits, so CP2077 doesn't exactly have to pass the highest bar to qualify. It's far from the first work in the genre to be criticized along those lines, and I wouldn't expect that criticism to stop just because Mike is satisfied with it.

He's the man a lot of the internet has been hurling accusations at and he's, in his own way, attempting to defend/clear himself.

I love it how often on this forum it's fine to hurl shit at people, but if they try and explain themselves it suddenly turns into "Who made you the king of/representative of all your people".

Who's hurled shit at Mike Pondsmith?

KLoWn

Oct 27, 2017
Good answers. He seems like a cool dude. I'm glad he's pleased with the way the game is shaping up.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
And why is that a issue? Because of the GoG tweets from more than a year ago for which the guy responsible was fired? And after that there was no any other issue with CD Projekt RED when it comes to these issues? I mean, in their Witcher games they handled racism, domestic violence, sexism, oppression, religion, hatred, war and the consenquences of it on the population and countries, etc. with great results.. why do you suddenly think that the writers aren't going to handle them well? I mean, the possibility is of course there, but I just wanted to ask why is this a issue for you right now, when the game is almost one year before release and so far we really don't know much about the themes and the overall story of the game.. a concern? Yeah, of course, even the best writers can easily screw up but an issue now? No reason for it to be an issue.. but that's of course your right, I'm just trying to understand why it's an issue for you :)
If you're genuinely interested in what the concerns are and where they stem from, and why many aren't willing to extend them them the benefit of the doubt, then I wrote a pretty comprehensive summary from my view:

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great, I'm glad he likes it. Mike's excitement doesn't cancel out the concerns other people have, though.

What arguments are you talking about, anyway? Specifically the cyberpunk thing? Because falling short of the promise of its own vision might as well be one of cyberpunk's defining traits, so CP2077 doesn't exactly have to pass the highest bar to qualify. It's far from the first work in the genre to be criticized along those lines, and I wouldn't expect that criticism to stop just because Mike is satisfied with it.

Who's hurled shit at Mike Pondsmith?

Either people directly who knew who he was before talking shit, but the more likely scenario with the internet and forums, everyone indirectly who erased him from the creation process to deliver their accusations of (non-challengeable) racism/white supremacy. Or the big-brain favourite, "Did you know Poland has issues so most of CDPR must be a reflection of the worst of Poland?".

Instead of asking some basic ass questions or people trying to read into the lore of Cyberpunk 2020 and find out more about the creator and how closely he's leading this project at CDPR, the more thrilling thing to do online is go from 0 to 100 and then double down if you might end up being wrong. It becomes some sort of blood sport on the internet, a form of radicalization if you ask me, to always assume the absolute worst and feel morally superior to try and tread over every person you see or basically invent as your enemy.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
questions or people trying to read into the lore of Cyberpunk 2020 and find out more about the creator and how closely he's leading this project at CDPR, the more thrilling thing to do online is go from 0 to 100 and then double down if you might end up being wrong. It becomes some sort of blood sport on the internet, a form of radicalization if you ask me, to always assume the worst and feel morally superior to try and tread over every person you see or invent as your enemy.
Considering your life blood recently seems to have been smugly posting things in Cyberpunk threads over the past week dismissing concerns from trans to race, I find it questionable how much you dislike the tactic when you seem to thrive on reacting to it in the tone you do. I've genuinely seen you persistent as an articulate and interesting poster who's long been a great source of long teardowns. The past week I've only seen you in these threads hand-waving things though and I really don't get it. It's actively noticeable in its difference and it was disappointing to see even if you're right that the extremes hit are both reactive and ill-considered.

SourKiwi

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 2, 2018
unknown.png

Another comment of his
(@ReseteraForum)

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
I think he is more involved then any other writer. He is no stranger to game design for example CDPR made the design the guns and he said nope this is not how they look in 2077 and they changed it.

Oct 27, 2017

To add to this, you can read in this very thread how much of a role Pondsmith has had in making the game. So it's not just how CDPR handle it, because it's not just them writing the game.

But even if it was, they released TW3 a few years back. And people are on here wringing their hands that CDPR can't do nuance? What?

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Either people directly who knew who he was before talking shit, but the more likely scenario with the internet and forums, everyone indirectly who erased him from the creation process to deliver their accusations of racism/white supremacy. Or the big-brain favourite, "Did you know Poland has issues so most of CDPR must be a reflection of the worst of Poland?".

Instead of asking some basic ass questions or people trying to read into the lore of Cyberpunk 2020 and find out more about the creator and how closely he's leading this project at CDPR, the more thrilling thing to do online is go from 0 to 100 and then double down if you might end up being wrong.

accusing people of calling Mike a white supremacist on such a ridiculously flimsy basis strikes me as going from 0 to 100

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
You've seen 48 minutes which was probably shown to present more touches of humour/edgyness due to the overall setting/themes of punk. Demo something fun guys!

Demoing something like that is likely to lift a roof of excitement than ruining a dark or heartfelt quest. Not to mention the spoilers involved in that.

TW3 showed CDPR can write sad and dark stories.

So we can either take what Mike said in the video in good faith or do the usual internet escalation of "I have seen 48 minutes of this, Mike must be lying/pretending/exaggerating, I'm an expert in 40~60 hour games after seeing a tiny slice.".

of course i can only criticize what we've seen so far. to be honest though we have seen more of cyberpunk than we have of many other games that aren't released yet thanks to the 50 minute demo. I don't know the game could still change it's tone midway through but all the recent things that have been said makes me feel like the game is going further away from the vision they presented in the mike pondsmith 2013 interview. for example i'm not a big fan of keanu reeves being constantly in your head during the game. i love Keanu as an actor, the matrix is my favorite movie of all time but casting keanu i feel like makes the game a little more campy and cheesy. that's just me though. if keanu makes this game a 20 million seller i'm fine with it.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
That's just it, what vision are we talking about? Being true to its own universe or being true to the expectations of what people think cyberpunk is. It is a lot of things but people are not setting the parameters under which they are judging if it is a vision of cyberpunk at large.

If people are criticizing it for not being true to Mike's vision of cyberpunk then they're barking up the wrong tree, as the post in the OP says. If people are criticizing it for not being cyberpunk, they aren't really describing where it falls short.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering your life blood recently seems to have been smugly posting things in Cyberpunk threads over the past week dismissing concerns from trans to race.

I find it questionable how much you dislike the tactic when you seem to thrive on reacting to it in the tone you do.

You won't find me assuming the absolute worst of basically every person who isn't myself. So, yes, I do detest what is often a form of radicalization online which routinely ends up showing just how easy it is in this retweet and react internet culture to get things wrong, one-sided or even go as far as try to ruin people's lives/image over assumptions.

ThePhoque

Jun 6, 2018
Novigrad
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissing concerns surrounding representation; misrepresenting other members
Thank god the man himself responded to this outcry and silenced the man babies crying out loud about bullshits like this just to raise some attention.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
You won't find me assuming the absolute worst of basically every person who isn't myself. So, yes, I do detest what is often a form of radicalization online which routinely ends up showing just how easy it is in this retweet and react internet culture to get things wrong, one-sided or even go as far as try to ruin people's lives/image.
I don't either, so there's evidently some middle ground between that and feeling a need to go into every discussion thread about concerns and tell people how they're worrying about nothing.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, and this is going to sound like a drive-by, but threads like these are beginning to make me utterly loathe the userbase here. Some of y'all are so fucking transparent when you're searching for excuses to justify shitty things. Go ahead and pat yourselves on the shoulder for all of the effort you're putting into this.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
From the video:

He also says that they're "dragging my butt over to Poland several times a year", and that was back in 2013 when this video was uploaded. I think it's safe to say he's got a healthy level of involvement, especially considering his continued presence even all these years later.

I know that just because Pondsmith thinks it's not a problem, doesn't mean it's not, but his reasoning in the OP (about the Animals being called as such because they think they're tough, for example) is sound.

Unplayable classes aside, what do you think feels a lot different than what he's describing? It seems to me like his vision has been translated pretty well, based on the limited bits we've seen of the game.

Pondsmith said in one interview that first time they showed him guns on this game they didn't Look right at all. They were shiny and beatiful so he said to them in my world they are ugly and not shiny etc. Next time he visited them, the guns were like he wanted. CDPR are huge fans of his work and they really listen him. He has said numerous times how the world looks like just as he has it his head.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't either, so there's evidently some middle ground between that and feeling a need to go into every discussion thread about concerns and tell people how they're worrying about nothing.

Well, that sort of "middle ground" is exactly what I try to strive for (in most cases where things aren't blatantly apparent). One of my first posts in this topic was expressly saying people need to ask questions, but what also goes along with that is reading, listening and allowing people to speak before going from 0 to 100 simply on gut instinct.

Yes, sometimes you can be right to go right for the jugular, but sometimes you're not. And what makes things even more unpleasant is when people might not have been right to go for the jugular from minute one but ego gets in the way and there is no self-reflection or backing down.

It actually makes me anxious to see some operate as they do. It must be incredibly tiring and self-destressing at times.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
It's not comments from black people or trans people or women or gay people or any other minority who have no problem with it that I have a problem with - it's the straight white guys that then use their comments to shut down minorities opinions who do have a problem with it, just cus they want to shut down any criticism about their beloved game. Which, c'mon, you know is gonna happen, you can see people already priming it in this thread.
Well, like I said, I don't think either type of comment should be used to shut anything down. But on the other hand, comments like the one I'm replying to do seem to kind of be trying to shut down the conversation from the point of view of a minority who interprets the situation differently.

And you can't really help some percentage of people trying to fuck with the conversation on whatever level. But I do think the vast majority (at least in this thread) seem to be able to make the distinction between people criticizing the individual parts that could potentially be problematic, and making some kind of all-reaching hyperbolic judgement about CDPR and the game as a whole based on the scant amount of information we've received so far. And it does seem like it's the latter a lot of people take issue with.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissive and condescending commentary over multiple posts in this thread; history of similar behavior in other topics
Honestly, and this is going to sound like a drive-by, but threads like these are beginning to make me utterly loathe the userbase here. Some of y'all are so fucking transparent when you're searching for excuses to justify shitty things. Go ahead and pat yourselves on the shoulder for all of the effort you're putting into this.
Well are the voodoo boys in CP2077 objectively shitty? There seem to be a lot of opinions going around and highlighting the ones of the original creator seems fair

J_Atlas

Apr 11, 2019
I mean, its great Pondsmith feels that way, but it does very little to assuage concerns of other black people, and those specifically that are Haitian and AREN'T cool with it.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I see the games you're playing here. They're not worth anyone's time.
What game? I mean you declared that the things people try to justify are shitty but the very OP provides an alternate view on that. Is that not worth being brought up? It's a topic with nuance where you should listen to multiple perspectives

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, its great Pondsmith feels that way, but it does very little to assuage concerns of other black people, and those specifically that are Haitian and AREN'T cool with it.
It might not, but it might at least stop people from putting words in his mouth. Honestly, that seems to be the part that makes him angry.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

"we're just higlighting oPiNiOnS, you can't feel strongly against anything i agree with because that's not oBjEcTiVe, unlike anything that agrees with me, that's where the real objectivity is, i'm so smart and rational, i'm just hearing everybody out, i'm not making excuses, that's definitely not what i'm doing, that's definitely not the real basis for my investment in this topic and promoting these particular responses, ones I just so happen to agree with, ones that go so far as to be reasons that allow people to continue to shit on marginalized communities BUT HEY i've got no problem with you guys you guys are just OUTRAGED over NOTHING i'm so logical i'm so smart, both sides have points, it's so nuanced, i'm just really interested in highligting the parts that agree with me thinking it's a nonissue"

I doubt that you realize it but that's what you're doing.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
"we're just higlighting oPiNiOnS, you can't feel strongly against anything i agree with because that's not oBjEcTiVe, unlike anything that agrees with me, that's where the real objectivity is, i'm so smart and rational, i'm just hearing everybody out, i'm not making excuses, that's definitely not what i'm doing, that's definitely not the real basis for my investment in this topic and promoting these particular responses, ones I just so happen to agree with, ones that go so far as to be reasons that allow people to continue to shit on marginalized communities BUT HEY i've got no problem with you guys you guys are just OUTRAGED over NOTHING i'm so logical i'm so smart"
Ah I see, you got this whole strawman in your head and now you're projecting it on me. Like I never ever said that that opionions that agree with me are objective, but sure go on

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah I see, you got this whole strawman in your head and now you're projecting it on me. Like I never ever said that that opionions that agree with me are objective, but sure

You have no fucking reason to bring that word up other than to use it to shit on people who feel upset by this. "Well, your upset isn't OBJECTIVE, therefore it's ILLEGITIMATE, unlike the creator's viewpoints, those are what's LEGITIMATE. oh no wait I just think they should be highlighted lol they're all just opinions to me"

"Hey, Elaine, why are you reacting so harshly to this guy?" -- Cool that you asked. For one, I'm trans. I see people making excuses all the time. "All opinions should be highlighted. So let me highlight the one that happens to shit on people's concerns." Fuck offfffffffff. You guys make me not want to live on this planet anymore.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You have no fucking reason to bring that word up other than to use it to shit on people who feel upset by this. "Well, your upset isn't OBJECTIVE, therefore it's ILLEGITIMATE, unlike the creator's viewpoints, those are what's LEGITIMATE."
Again, I never said that. Objective would just mean that there's no debate to be had about whether the voodoo boys are offensive or not. Since there are multiple viewpoints on this though it's a more nuanced issue than just "You guys just want to excuse shitty thing"

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
You have no fucking reason to bring that word up other than to use it to shit on people who feel upset by this. "Well, your upset isn't OBJECTIVE, therefore it's ILLEGITIMATE, unlike the creator's viewpoints, those are what's LEGITIMATE. oh no wait I just think they should be highlighted lol they're all just opinions to me"
You are not wrong here, there's quite alot of posters in this thread, that I've seen multiple times in other threads try to dismiss minorities opinions (not even just Cyberpunk) and they just happen to be using this OP as people being "hysterical" and "out for blood" without being calm and rational like them to see all the intent and facts and yaddda yadda.... Like, we apparently don't know what's going on in this thread. I'm glad there's someone else pointing it out.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Repeated hostility towards other members; backseat modding
Again, I never said that. Objective would just mean that there's no debate to be had about whether the voodoo boys are offensive or not. Since there are multiple viewpoints on this though it's a more nuanced issue than just "You guys just want to excuse shitty thing"

You might like to pretend that, but I've read this thread. I've seen the posts in this thread. This thread EXISTS as an excuse to sideline complaints from marginalized people. Not all opinions are created equally.

You might say that there's debate to be had. But this thread is treating it like the creator's statement means that the debate is over. There is no value to highlighting that in this context. You look hostile when you try. Context matters. Your post does not exist in a context that makes me look kindly upon you.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Happy to see Pondsmith is such an integral part of development, but people taking his words and using them as a way to say "stop being critical of Cyberpunk" is some bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.