• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Trump on Wednesday retweeted a theory from one of his supporters calling for Pence to reject the certificates of votes from Arizona, Georgia, Michigan, Nevada, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin, falsely claiming those states did not "receive a constitutionally permissible slate of electors."

Unfortunately for Trump, legal experts say Pence has absolutely no authority, constitutional or otherwise, to prevent ratification of the electoral college votes. The Constitution states that Pence "shall, in the presence of the Senate and House of Representatives, open all the certificates and the votes shall then be counted." The "shall" in the provision is an imperative command, unambiguously requiring the act be completed, making Pence's role merely ceremonial.

"Bottom line: There is no secret legal maneuver left to stop a Biden presidency. Pence & [Mitch] McConnell understand these rules & are in an awkward political position of their own sad making. Any drama before or on Jan 6 will be merely a pathetic show of Trump loyalty/cowardice," Shugerman concluded.

Likewise, former Senate historian Donald Ritchie recently told the New York Times that there was simply "not much" Pence could do to help Trump's efforts.

"His job is really just to read [the votes] out loud," Ritchie said.

lawandcrime.com

Mike Pence Cannot Block the Certification of Joe Biden’s Victory

Despite Trump’s calls for Pence to help overturn the election, the VP has no authority to refuse to ratify Biden’s Electoral College victory on Jan. 6.

Nobility

Oct 25, 2017
To the surprise of no one.

Pence is going to do his job. As the constitution demands.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This man is a billionaire. He will never suffer consequences in his life.

He swindled an entire country into electing him president and all he has to do is quietly let himself be forgotten like what happens with every fucking Republican president, and he can't even do that. His ego won't allow him to.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
At this point Trump is going to get Pence or Mitch shot
35lqnh5xrfb51.png

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The hilarious part is that Trumpworld will immediately declare Pence a traitor when he does this simple job, just the way Trumpworld immediately turned on the Supreme Court when they wouldn't take the hilariously bad Texas case.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
This man is a billionaire. He will never suffer consequences in his life.

He swindled an entire country into electing him president and all he has to do is quietly let himself be forgotten like what happens with every fucking Republican president, and he can't even do that. His ego won't allow him to.
Good news, all the money in the world does you know good without good lawyers. He's also 1.1 billion in debt from shady sources and just burned his last couple legitimate lawyers he had left at the beginning of the month. Crazy lawyers don't keep you out of jail and the few sane ones left aren't dumb enough to work for someone who not only likely won't pay them but also has a cult that will lynch them if they fail

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Biden was going to be president the moment it was called in his favor. It's over.
People on the losing side always scramble to look for secret, eleventh hour escape hatches to avoid facing the music. I saw progressives do it in 2004, conservatives in 2008 and 2012, and progressives again in 2016.

The major difference is that in none of those instances did the candidate themselves engage in any of it. Kerry, McCain, Romney and Clinton all conceded within 24 hours. Trump is going to act like he really won until the day he dies.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Founders should have been way more rigid with all the procedural language(and leave nothing to interpretation), but I suppose they never expected American presidents/VPs to act in negative faith.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
This kind of shit never made the news before.
I remember in 08 in my high school civics class, right after the election the teacher was explaining to us the process with the Electoral College, and made a comment about how the election was technically only decided by the Electoral College. Immediately this conservative, douchebag jock's hand shoots up and he excitedly asks if this means there's a chance Obama won't become president, the teacher laughs him off and tells him a win as big as Obama's makes the Electoral College vote just a formality, and that was that.

I can't imagine the bullshit teachers in that same position today have to endure - especially in small towns where kids get poisoned by their parents' Fox News diets and worship at the cult of Trump. In fact, I think I read an article a few weeks ago about a civics teacher who talked about his experience with exactly that, where kids kept pelting him with questions about illegal votes and other fake news garbage.

Ecotic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can a president just fire a vice-president like that? Asking because since Pence is also an elected official it surely has to be quite a bit harder than that?
The Vice President can't be fired by the President. If a VP falls out of a President's favor he or she can be effectively blocked out of the administration and then can retreat to a Congressional office as 'President of the Senate' for the remainder of their term, but never fired. That's one of the main advantages of being the VP, no matter what they can keep their job and status as next-in-line to assume the Presidency.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
The Vice President can't be fired by the President. If a VP falls out of a President's favor he or she can be effectively blocked out of the administration and then can retreat to a Congressional office as 'President of the Senate' for the remainder of their term, but never fired. That's one of the main advantages of being the VP, no matter what they can keep their job and status as next-in-line to assume the Presidency.
And more specifically, they can only be impeached.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
I have no faith in a normal transition at this point.

Trump will make Pence discount the votes and force the Supreme Court to overrule him.

It won't amount to anything but a stunt, but it'll be a stunt nonetheless.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
Can a president just fire a vice-president like that? Asking because since Pence is also an elected official it surely has to be quite a bit harder than that?

Constitutionally-speaking, the VP doesn't work for the President. They were both separately elected by the Electoral College. The VP can only be impeached.

Ecotic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope Nancy Pelosi makes it clear if Pence doesn't certify he'll be impeached for an unconstitutional act. I get at this point it doesn't functionally matter, but it'll be a mark on him for posterity and make a precedent in the future that it's not allowed for a VP to nullify the results.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
Biden was going to be president the moment it was called in his favor. It's over.

All the smaller decisions (by judges, commissioners, secretaries of state, etc) that rejected the coup were informed by social pressure.

Calling out Trump's bullshit authoritarian activity was helpful

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Pence isn't insane like Trump is, I doubt he'd do anything even if he could. He fucking sucks but he doesn't want the entire country going up in flames.

Reasonable move to leave the country immediately after. He might stay abroad for months, years, or forever.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
What would even happen if Pence did what Trump wants him to do? I don't think I really understand what the plan would even be.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
It's so fucked up that this matter is even being discussed. The Trump cult has destroyed our norms and created a toehold for fascism in this country.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
And we're going to be hearing about how illegitimate the results of this election were for fucking decades, so what.

Nah you won't. As soon as the MAGA crowd gets bored and moves on to the next mega-scandal (!!!), this entire thing will be memory-holed.

It's actually eye-opening to review a list of absurd things that were considered to be a huge deal by the Right over the years, only to disappear into the mists of history when they were no longer useful. Remember Jade Helm? Migrant caravans and sending the National Guard to the border?

The only aspect of this that will last beyond a few years, let alone decades, is what a travesty of misinformation and conspiracy peddling it was. That is what will make the history books.