• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Movie Sign with the Mads is one of the sleeper shows on The Last Podcast Network

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I don't think Mike has a clean slate here, and while he may largely avoid politics in MST3K/RiffTrax/stays off of Twitter, he still put his views on religion, abortion and politics out there for the world to hear on a podcast. It's 100% valid for people to be "done" with Mike.

That said, I'm glad he made that statement and I'm genuinely surprised that he left the podcast. That was a good decision. Going by recent trends from other folks, I kind of expected him to either double down, ignore it or do the "non-apology" thing that JonTron and those two voice actors did.

Also interesting to see the fallout from this. His fellow MST3Kers going to bat for him, saying they believe in him...

and Doug TenNapel whining on Twitter that he lost another friend to the "evil LGBT activists that have been coming after me for a decade." He makes it sound like gay activists harass him and threaten him, like the mafia. Fuck off dude. You've been an open activist against LGBTQIA rights and if memory serves, insisted on misgendering people on Twitter who were trans. Fuck off forever.

OP
OP
Lonewolf

Lonewolf

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
I don't think Mike has a clean slate here, and while he may largely avoid politics in MST3K/RiffTrax/stays off of Twitter, he still put his views on religion, abortion and politics out there for the world to hear on a podcast. It's 100% valid for people to be "done" with Mike.

That said, I'm glad he made that statement and I'm genuinely surprised that he left the podcast. That was a good decision. Going by recent trends from other folks, I kind of expected him to either double down, ignore it or do the "non-apology" thing that JonTron and those two voice actors did.

Also interesting to see the fallout from this. His fellow MST3Kers going to bat for him, saying they believe in him...

and Doug TenNapel whining on Twitter that he lost another friend to the "evil LGBT activists that have been coming after me for a decade." He makes it sound like gay activists harass him and threaten him, like the mafia. Fuck off dude. You've been an open activist against LGBTQIA rights and if memory serves, insisted on misgendering people on Twitter who were trans. Fuck off forever.

Just want to throw out there that this thread was started by a White cis heterosexual male who never heard of Doug TenNapel before coming across that twitter thread I posted in the OP. I just hate bigots, racists, and anti-science morons.

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
Sketch's post is on point. I'm not canceling Mike because he has given me so much entertainment over the years and did not double down with his response.

I totally get if others drop him, though.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
This thread taught me that there was an Intellivision revival going. I'm sure that'll do reallllllllll well.

Suitable graveyard for TenNapel.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, and I probably will continue to buy rifftrax, but I'll be side eyeing Mike the entire time, and definitely keeping an eye on what he does going forward.

Nov 1, 2017
Every time I see an apology I always wonder when it seems sincere, so what will they do now? If he understands the hurt caused, will he reflect on that and change his politics? Will he stop relying on news from hateful and bigoted sources? Or will this be the end of the journey but people still act as if he is on the way to or already redeemed? I see the last option too often and am hoping for the others.

Oct 30, 2017
Good for Mike on his statement and not just doubling down. I've been a lifetime fan of MST/Rifftrax and was fortunate enough to meet Mike on a flight returning from a Rifftrax Live show. He was super friendly and gracious, signed an autograph and asked me if I needed a ride someplace from the airport. I've always known he was a sort of churlish religious conservative, but not necessarily a 'culture war' asshole. He's also worked closely with Kevin Murphy all these decades, who I'm sure the cast knows is 'on the spectrum' (as the shows make frequent winks to it) so he never really impressed me as a 'bigot', more of a whitebread 'Midwesterner'.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
The Frank reply is interesting, because he isn't in direct business with Mike and would absolutely rip into him if he felt the need to.
They aren't in direct business with each other but still have to interact on a professional level due to everyone being on the con circuit together.

Dehnus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

That is litterally that meme :"I worry for you" vs :"I don't even think of you". Seriously most of the LGBTQ+ community don't even know who the heck Doug TenNapel is. The world has moved on man, his cartoons were even worse than his games.

Dehnus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
it's a decent statement, outside of the "if anyone was offended" deal. he had to know about doug's intensely homophobic/racist views prior to joining the podcast, though.
That's privilege for you, you get to "not care" as it isn't "your problem". He knew but can act like he doesn't "have to know". It's easy to agree to disagree or "live and let live" if it's not you the other group is after.

hutna

Oct 25, 2017
Not giving Mike a pass; just speculating as a fan without all the facts. Associating with DT as a public figure is still inappropriate.

Kevin has a wife btw. Doesn't mean his sexuality isn't fluid but I'm not sure "maybe Kevin's gay?" is robust evidence of Mike's capacity for tolerance, which I feel is much more lacking than his statement claims. I'm happy to see what Rifftrax is doing for Juneteenth and hope that they continue doing the right thing publicly as a company even if Mike doesn't change his beliefs/behavior in private. I know I won't be supporting Rifftrax or promoting them in the future: to each their own.

Oct 30, 2017
Kevin has a wife btw. Doesn't mean his sexuality isn't fluid but I'm not sure "maybe Kevin's gay?" is robust evidence of Mike's capacity for tolerance, which I feel is much more lacking than his statement claims. I'm happy to see what Rifftrax is doing for Juneteenth and hope that they continue doing the right thing publicly as a company even if Mike doesn't change his beliefs/behavior in private. I know I won't be supporting Rifftrax or promoting them in the future: to each their own.

I still support Jet Jaguar in all his forms.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I noticed the latest short they released a few days ago features Mike, Kevin, Bridget, and no Bill. I wonder if this is a sign Bill is stepping back from Rifftrax or if they recorded their lines before all this came out and he just wasn't available.

Walker_Boh

Oct 25, 2017
Boise, Idaho
I noticed the latest short they released a few days ago features Mike, Kevin, Bridget, and no Bill. I wonder if this is a sign Bill is stepping back from Rifftrax or if they recorded their lines before all this came out and he just wasn't available.
He probably wasn't available. If you watch some of shorts and VODs that has came out since the pandemic started, Bill's (and Mary Jo's) audio is noticeably worse than everyone else. Which leads me to believe that Bill is somewhere else during all of this.