• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, it's a good thing Earthworm Jim fell off the face of the earth, because we'll be spared all the "sEpaRAte the ArT frOM tHE ARtist" and "WHAt AboUT thAT QA guy Who WOrkED on IT" posts.
After that HP thread, I don't have it in me lol

Dehnus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Honestly, it's a good thing Earthworm Jim fell off the face of the earth, because we'll be spared all the "sEpaRAte the ArT frOM tHE ARtist" and "WHAt AboUT thAT QA guy Who WOrkED on IT" posts.
IN retrospect, the games weren't that funny, and quite bad after they lost the technical craftmanship of those that designed the engine. The 3D ones are just... bad.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
LZYxspV.gif

Fortunately I never got into MST3K, but The Neverhood was a big part of my childhood, so that one continues to sting. I'm at least glad that I learned about this before I could make the mistake of supporting TenNapel's kickstarter.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
This one hurts. I've always been a Mike Nelson fan. I hate to see him espouse prejudice and hate.

Thank god we have Bill.

kess

Oct 27, 2017
Telling that Mike Nelson followed the National Review and all those other conservative lodestars just to end up at Doug TenNaple's door.

It's a long ride down.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Doug Tennapel was a part of Comicsgate but they kicked him out because he was too extreme in his unabashed hatred of gay people, so yeah.

Dehnus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
LZYxspV.gif

Fortunately I never got into MST3K, but The Neverhood was a big part of my childhood, so that one continues to sting. I'm at least glad that I learned about this before I could make the mistake of supporting TenNapel's kickstarter.
I got into it later, after a bad brake up. It helped me get through some bad places my mind went to. That and it was the only place I could find the bad movies I wished to see. One I remembered from some German Channel ages ago, about an octopus with a Dunkleosteus teeth :).

And.. well when I like something, I kind of go overboard in fascination. Focusing on that thing for ... ages and wishing to know everything about it :P.

As for Tennapel... yeah he's an arse, the way he attacked gay gamers was just.. uncalled for.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
I do enjoy a lot of Rifftrax and Mike episodes of MST but I never really liked how a lot of their stuff got kinda mean later on. I remember a couple posts a while back he made some kind of tweet mentioning he discovered the whole Brony phenomenon, how creepy he thought it was and that it would be the new thing he made fun of (and low and behold Brony jokes started popping up in Rifftrax)

Bill seems like a great guy (I know he LOVES bagging on Gamergate), I hope Kevin isn't a shitheel, he's probably my favorite of the three.

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia, PA, USA
Damn, this sucks. My first experience with MST3K were Mike episodes on SCI-FI and I was a big Mike>Joel guy. Also been a big fan of Rifftrax because along with Bill and Kevin, it was the definitive trio in my mind.

Good to know Crow and Servo are good dudes, at least. And Joel, of course (who I really came around to during the revival).

Ninhead

Drive-in Mutant
Avenger
Nov 18, 2017
Well, I've seen Kevin bagging on Trump and Ben Shapiro in his last 3 tweets, so I feel confident in saying that he's OK.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I was unaware of him beyond his work on MST3K and RiffTrax. Watching the MST3K Turkey Day Marathon with our family has been something my oldest son always looked forward to on Thanksgiving. This taints so many good memories for me and I'm beside myself.

Me too, I think most people were. No clue why, after all this time, he felt the need to join up with such a piece of shit like TenNapel to get his shitty shared views out there. (I know the podcast isn't "new," but if it's only in the 50s episode-wise, it can't be that old.)

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I knew that he was conservative, but never looked deeply into his particular beliefs, because I didn't know he had a podcast where he talked this kinda shit.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Mike Nelson is quite simply my favorite entertainer of all time, and I think the funniest human being on the face of the planet. It was very disappointing when I learned he was pretty staunch conservative guy. I had a hard time reconciling that with how funny he can be at first, but the more I thought about it the more sense it made. The big difference between Joel and Mike era MST3K is meanness. Mike is ready to take a movie and the people who made it out to the woodshed. I think that's produced some of the absolute funniest content of all time. And I also think meanness is a cornerstone of the conservative mindset. There's an inherent disregard for other people that has to be internalized for conservative policies to make sense.

Genuinely sucks. I still support their products by buying merch and trax, but it's a bummer to know that at least some of that money is being filtered back out into purchases from the #MAGA store or donations to vile political causes.

Dehnus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Mike Nelson is quite simply my favorite entertainer of all time, and I think the funniest human being on the face of the planet. It was very disappointing when I learned he was pretty staunch conservative guy. I had a hard time reconciling that with how funny he can be at first, but the more I thought about it the more sense it made. The big difference between Joel and Mike era MST3K is meanness. Mike is ready to take a movie and the people who made it out to the woodshed. I think that's produced some of the absolute funniest content of all time. And I also think meanness is a cornerstone of the conservative mindset. There's an inherent disregard for other people that has to be internalized for conservative policies to make sense.

Genuinely sucks. I still support their products by buying merch and trax, but it's a bummer to know that at least some of that money is being filtered back out into purchases from the #MAGA store or donations to vile political causes.
From interviews you can learn that he only turned asshole conservative after 9/11. Before that he was more of a centrist kind of guy. Meannes is not a conservative thing, you can find plenty of mean assholes in all walks of life. Also: Conservatism and being an asshole are two different things, I'm an extreme lefty myself, but conservatism is still not the same in my eyes. I don't think John McCain (and I didn't agree with him on many things) was mean, nor is Arnold Schwarzenegger (again I don't agree with him on many things).

Assholes exist. ON top of that of course you have the racism and NAZIsm the GOP decided to embrace, that is more a hategroup kind of thing. The GOP is nothing more than a conglomerate of racists, religious extremists and money lending assholes. Okay, an occasional normal conservative person can be found there, but they are so rare that you might as well start to look for a Leprechaun and his pot of gold.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
IN retrospect, the games weren't that funny, and quite bad after they lost the technical craftmanship of those that designed the engine. The 3D ones are just... bad.
The games were a product of the early '90s era of wacky and crude cartoons. Something people had grown out of by mid-decade. Ooh, the title screen has someone belching the game's name, how hilarious...

Dehnus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The games were a product of the early '90s era of wacky and crude cartoons. Something people had grown out of by mid-decade. Ooh, the title screen has someone belching the game's name, how hilarious...
I suppose, I more mean technically the games were impressive,but that is more the team that made the engine and background and graphic designers (how to fit it into a Console's limited architecture) than Tenappel.

canseesea

Oct 25, 2017

We had that already when he did a Kickstarter and it came out that he was like this. I'd like to pretend it would be different if it just came out today, but it fuckin wouldn't.

Snowybreak

Oct 25, 2017
And this is why I don't watch past season 5 anymore. I remember looking up some things about Mike years ago after watching one of their Rifftrax Live shows. There was just something about the way he took a certain joke that made me a little uneasy, so I did some searching and found that he's either a Christian Scientist or something adjacent, and that he's a full on conservative.

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a huge MST3K fan, so of course, I have loved Mike's work for years (unfortunately, I didn't get fully into MST3K until 1999, so I wasn't able to enjoy it at the time it was out like I should have!)
I have every episode of MST3K that has ever been released, except for the one lost KTMA episode of Star Force: Fugitive Alien 2. I used to fall asleep listening to a random episode in my dorm/at home. So, yeah, I adore the show.

Not only that, but I've been listening to both 372 Pages We'll Never Get Back (though I've dropped off after the Ernest Cline novels) and Like Trees Walking, which is his podcast he does with his pastor, David Berge.

So I've been well aware of Mike's Christian and conservative leanings for years. And, given my own movement from a more moderate/conservative political standing to a more liberal/progressive stance, I was willing to forgive and forget some of the prior things he's said about George W. Bush and reading National Review and so on. People that age don't tend to change, but you never know. Listening to both of those podcasts, I knew he was more evangelical, but he tended to keep most of his politics out of the conversation, so I still felt like, "Eh, he's not throwing his opinions at me, so whatever."

I had no idea he had this Audio Mullet podcast until about a month ago, and I saw it was with Tennapel, and I was like, "No thanks." But I should have known then that was bad news. I knew he was conservative and Evangelical, but if he's full MAGA and a Trump supporter, that's a real gut punch.

RyuCookingSomeRice

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2020
User banned (3 weeks): Thread derailment, white male fragility over multiple posts, inflammatory comparisons concerning racism
Biased. The word you're looking for is biased.

Racism implies oppression or any negative action or thought.

Your negative action is saying all white men are like this.
Thats like saying just assume all black men are criminals because we have so many of them locked up.

Disgusting.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Thats like saying just assume all black men are criminals because we have so many of them locked up.

Disgusting.

😕. That implies things that I did not say. And brings in statistics or views that are not relevant to my quick quip or to this discussion.

But #notallwhites. Pop off.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
The last four years have transformed people from mediocre to absolutely terrible. It's frightening. It explains a lot of world history.
I think what's happened is that it has emboldened people with these views to publicly express them.

Hopefully what's happening right now is going to help ensure anyone with bigoted views goes back to keeping them to themselves instead of trying to promote them one way or another.

Disgusting.
They said *most*. Given that more white men voted for Trump than Clinton, I'd say it's a pretty fair statement and not a negative action at all.

Last edited:

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
And this is why I don't watch past season 5 anymore. I remember looking up some things about Mike years ago after watching one of their Rifftrax Live shows. There was just something about the way he took a certain joke that made me a little uneasy, so I did some searching and found that he's either a Christian Scientist or something adjacent, and that he's a full on conservative.

He was the head writer from Season 2 on, but I get that it's different since he wasn't hosting.

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
I knew Mike was conservative but I thought he was more Reagan era. Didn't know he was full fox news

Same here. Very disappointing. But in order to be "conservative" these days, you pretty much have to drink the nazi kool-aide or be ostracized by all your peers, right? I'm sure he wouldn't be welcome at church otherwise.

Lionel Mandrake

Prophetic Lionel Mandrake
Oct 26, 2017
Thank God that Bill remains a class act. He's the one guy from the original crew I got to meet in person at a con, and he was one of the most pleasant con celebrities I've met; he felt genuinely appreciative and happy to interact.

Edit:
Given that it looks like Joel is giving Jonah the boot, maybe we can just replace Mike with Jonah at RiffTrax.

RyuCookingSomeRice

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2020
I think what's happened is that it has emboldened people with these views to publicly express them.

Hopefully what's happening right now is going to help ensure anyone with bigoted views goes back to keeping them to themselves instead of trying to promote them one way or another.

They said *most*. Given that more white men voted for Trump than Clinton, I'd say it's a pretty fair statement and not a negative action at all.

Not all white males are American so I take offense to these notions. Typical USA point of view ofcourse.

sugar bear

Oct 27, 2017
This stinks, I prefer Mike to Joel.

Knew Mike was conservative but he's fully embraced the lunatic fringe of the party.

Oct 27, 2017
Thats perfectly fine, keep your generalizations about white males to yourself. ( not talking about you ). In fact generalizations should not be made here at all.
ugh

Thank God that Bill remains a class act. He's the one guy from the original crew I got to meet in person at a con, and he was one of the most pleasant con celebrities I've met; he felt genuinely appreciative and happy to interact.

Edit:
Given that it looks like Joel is giving Jonah the boot, maybe we can just replace Mike with Jonah at RiffTrax.
wait, jonah's gone?! no!! i liked him!

RyuCookingSomeRice

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2020
Truly this is the thread to protect the honor of white men.

I said ALL generalizations. But yeah I also dont like it when people generalize my personal skin color as some sort of feature or thing to know about a person. As if it tells you anything at all about a human being. Hint, it doesnt. I dont think you should generalize a skin color and say oh well all X are like that. That's just dehumanizing. I thought this is a progressive forum why are we even arguiing this point?

Like I said, typical USA culture.