• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Save states and rewind features are nice options to have. No one is forced to use them. Sure, it doesn't technically count as properly beating the game but who cares? And yeah, Matei is an obnoxious Nintendo fanboy racist that no one should take seriously.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Person who said it aside, I agree. I've used save states to beat games since I was young. Sometimes I try and beat them straight and in that sitting I can't. Doesn't feel great, but this is ultimately a personal thing. I personally value the games ive beaten myself straight.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
If you don't beat a game in one sitting you are a weakling.

It cost me my marriage and my job but I can say I am a real man after beating DQ11 without relying on saves like so many of the wannabes.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
Why would you care if someone cheats in a fucking NES/SNES game. I can't think of anything more pointless to argue about.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Having grown up in the NES/SNES era... If the only thing keeping someone from beating the game is a limited live/continue system and therefore save stating to circumvent it, they totally still beat it. All save states do in that instance is save you time having to replay levels for no good reason.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Regardless of the man who said it, I agree. Hard to argue that you actually beat the game when you're rewinding after every failure.

full
Do you start a game from the very beginning every time you get a game over? Who fucking cares.

LapinAgile

Oct 29, 2017
If you use the Rewind feature then you cheated not only the game, but yourself. You didn't grow. You didn't improve. You took a shortcut and gained nothing. You experienced a hollow victory. Nothing was risked and nothing was gained. It's sad if you don't know the difference.

replaying the level or game is the same as rewind essentially rewind is a more refined solution to the same concept.

Axiology

Nov 2, 2017
Do you start a game from the very beginning every time you get a game over? Who fucking cares.
The only way real gamers play is no saves/no lives lost, that's the only way it's authentic.

Pretty weird exaggerations here. It seems the argument you guys are making is that rewinding after every single hit is not cheating. That's just crazy to me. I'm not saying everyone should strive to be "elite gamers" or that rewinders are necessarily robbing themselves of fun. But you gotta call it as it is...

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
Why not make a thread about why Mike is a terrible person? Why dress it up as caring about his opinion at all?

I do still like James, but I do agree that Mike and his afflictions are incredibly suspect. If you want to inform others about that, why not be up front? Why under the guise of caring about his asinine opinion? It feels disingenuous.

Otherwise we're just giving him more attention than he deserves.

Last edited:

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Pretty weird exaggerations here. It seems the argument you guys are making is that rewinding after every single hit is not cheating. That's just crazy to me. I'm not saying everyone should strive to be "elite gamers" or that rewinders are robbing themselves of fun. I'm just saying you gotta call it as it is...
Don't call it anything actually, it's no ones business how others enjoy games and his opinion on it is fucking shit.

Deleted member 19742

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty weird exaggerations here. It seems the argument you guys are making is that rewinding after every single hit is not cheating. That's just crazy to me. I'm not saying everyone should strive to be "elite gamers" or that rewinders are necessarily robbing themselves of fun. But you gotta call it as it is...

Let people have fun.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
it's true but nobody actually cares whether you use rewind or not

sincerely yours,
guy who used rewind 5 million times to beat battletoads

Typographenia

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Who would have guessed that a racist dirtbag has more bad thoughts and opinions?

Who cares? Let people play and enjoy a game how they like. I am so sick and tired of pointless elitism in games.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty weird exaggerations here. It seems the argument you guys are making is that rewinding after every single hit is not cheating.

This is also an exaggeration, unless you have some evidence that this is a widespread use of the feature. I've played through the classic Mega Man games on both Wii VC and the Legacy Collection and have used rewind to avoid restarting an entire level after running out of lives. It seems like rewinding after every single hit would be pretty cumbersome, but at the same time, it's not really my business if that's how someone is enjoying the game.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
His opinion is just asshole-ry but to be more positive it would be cool to have the option to disable it in the menu. I love it but if I wanted to do a challenge run it would be cool to disable it in the menu so I'm not tempted.

Krathoon

Oct 27, 2017
Rewind is a great addition. Saves time. What you have here is an old schooler complaining that life is easier for people.

Roliq

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Sep 23, 2018
Yeah, no, NES and SNES games are full of bullshit that's only there to increase the difficulty. Imagine if to finish a movie you had to do crazy hard QTEs, and you are like "bruh I just wanna watch the fucking thing" but some gatekeeping elitist asshole tells you you are cheating by doing so.

Such BS.

Especially because a lot of the NES games don't have a save fuction or if someone doesn't want to bother with passwords

Axiology

Nov 2, 2017
Don't call it anything actually, it's no ones business how others enjoy games and his opinion on it is fucking shit.

Seems you're conflating whether one has legitimately beaten a game with some sort of value judgment on the individual. I don't care if anyone cheats, I agree, that's not my business. But exploiting the rules of a game does mean you're not beating the game as intended.

Opposing the "git gud" mentality doesn't have to mean throwing away objective reality.

Last edited:

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, but who cares whether or not someone else "beat the game?"

This is the mindset of a small child on the playground, not a fully mentally matured adult.

Axiology

Nov 2, 2017
Let people have fun.

I'm not stopping anyone from having fun. Why would anyone even think I am?

This is also an exaggeration, unless you have some evidence that this is a widespread use of the feature. I've played through the classic Mega Man games on both Wii VC and the Legacy Collection and have used rewind to avoid restarting an entire level after running out of lives. It seems like rewinding after every single hit would be pretty cumbersome, but at the same time, it's not really my business if that's how someone is enjoying the game.

It doesn't matter whether that's how the feature is commonly used. The way people talk about this it seems they would accept even that as not cheating. That's what I'm getting at.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Seems you're conflating whether one has legitimately beaten a game with some sort of value judgment on the individual. I don't care if anyone cheats, I agree, that's not my business. But exploiting the rules of a game does mean you're not playing the game as intended.

Opposing the "git gud" mentality doesn't have to mean throwing away objective reality.
No one else should be value judging other people lol, if someone feels they beat the game using any kind of exploit they still beat the game. It's just got an asterisk and the major majority couldn't care less about that.

I'm sure you've never cheesed a boss fight or had an enemy get stuck in a wall or something like it. Even speed runners use constant exploits to get to the end quickly and those are all considered valid in the Speed run community.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rewind feels like cheating to me, I don't use it. I have loaded save states from time to time, which I guess is technically kind of the same thing, but I only do it to avoid wasting time, not to make the game easier. I never save my state in the middle of a boss fight or whatever.

Senki Dala

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Well he's racist, sure, but what he said in this tweet is true. I'm very surprised that everybody disagree with that. Or maybe it is because he is racist?

Anyway yeah games have been designed (the difficulty of the levels, the game design, the lenght, etc) by developpers to be enjoyed in a way, if you rewind everytime you fail or if you're using save states every 10 seconds in the game, yes you're not beating the game. And yeah it's not a big deal sure, but if they add a feature in a Dark Souls remake that make you insta kill every bosses, would it be "ok whatever enjoy the game as you want"? I don't think so.

Sure it's not a huge deal, sure he's a racist, but he's right about this.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why are we supposed to care? I mean I don't entirely disagree with him - I beat Mega Man 1 only because I rewound every mistake, so I certainly cheated through the game. But who gives a fuck what a rando twitch user has to say?

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Rewind features and save states exist out of convenience and QoL. The whole "you didn't beat the game angle is dumb". Who cares how people engage with a game and who cares how they get to the end. And the entire premise people are putting forward about "you didn't struggle" is dumb. If someone beats super ghosts and goblins using rewinds and save states and then in turn that helps them become good enough at the game that they can now clear it without them did they cheat and is any clear they make without those features tainted? Are they not truly good at the game because they reached your "end" determinant differently?

Shit is dumb as fuck.

I have crushed Yoshi's Island 100% a million times without save states or rewind. If I make a mistake and undo it with rewind on Switch SNES I'm not going to feel bad lol.

Also, fuck this racist piece of shit.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Even if he wasn't a racist fuckwad I'd still disagree with him.

Playing video games is, more than anything else, a personal journey. Players should be free to approach games however they like.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Anyone who has so little in their life that they hold on to the achievement of beating an old game without those features to the point where you want to discredit those who use it to feel superior... should probably re-evaluate their life.

Status
Not open for further replies.