• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Axiology

Nov 2, 2017
Regardless of the man who said it, I agree. Hard to argue that you actually beat the game when you're rewinding after every failure.

full

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
You know what? I beat the game when I was a kid. Nowadays I play for the fun and nostalgia. I have nothing to prove and I would rather use rewind than deal with the bullshit on 6-1 to 6-4 in Ninja Gaiden again.

Oct 25, 2017
湘南
I genuinely love when people post something regarding a streamer; thinking that everyone knows who that streamer is. Like, "look at what this person said!!! This is a notable person saying this thing!" and half of us literally have no idea who this person is lol

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely love when people post something regarding a streamer; thinking that everyone knows who that streamer is. Like, "look at what this person said!!! This is a notable person saying this thing!" and half of us literally have no idea who this person is lol
He's one of the guys behind Angry Video Game Nerd and probably more well-known that 99.9% of Twitch / YouTube / Facebook / Mixer Streamers

Edit: this meme fits even tho he has a point
3GbVPwe.jpg

Ramako

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
On the one hand, he's not wrong. On the other hand, who cares whether you beat it "the right way" so long as you had fun with it and feel satisfied?

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know who this guy is or what that reply in the OP is trying to say.

But that's dumb, play the damn game with a hundred Game Genie hacks that turn Mario into a squid, who cares?

Axiology

Nov 2, 2017
Let me guess... playing on Easy is also not "beating the game".

There's a pretty big difference here.

Edit: Also, I'd like to say that it's important not to conflate the idea of finishing the game properly with that being something that is "important". It doesn't make you a worse gamer or a bad person to cheat. But it is cheating.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
I do not blame him at all for having this stance. The guy is clearly a traditionalist, and that's okay.

He recently beat Ninja Gaiden NES without dying and without using subweapons. The type of thing that you'd maybe do as a kid, playing over and over until you completely master the game. That's the class of gamer he is. The philosophy of someone willing to do that is completely understandable.

In today's gaming climate, I don't necessarily think there should be any one definition of "beating" a game. I mean, we have guys like Jirard Khalil (The Completionist) whose rating scale goes from "play it" to "finish it" to "complete" it, since many games can be beaten (as in the final boss is beaten), but many also have so much content that they have that next level of "100% completion." Different people may have different criteria.

The old fashioned "get to the end without exploits, cheats, or save states" is still a thing and Matei, as an oldschool collector/gamer, just happens to champion it.

KiNolin

Oct 28, 2017
it's like watching movies with increased speed on netflix, lol. might as well not consume the thing that I'm not commited to, to begin with, eh.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Imagine wasting time worrying about whether other people are beating games the right way.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy whenever anyone who is new to retro games chooses to engage with them, no matter how they choose to sand down the edges.

The SNES offerings on Switch online aren't crazy hard for the most part (obvious exception for Super Ghouls), but whatever keeps these games alive. If they ever add Hagane or some shit, you'll be glad those options exist.

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
Ignoring who said it:

It really depends on whether or not you see beating a difficult game as some sort of rite of passage.

I personally wouldn't presume to tell people how to enjoy their games.

Axiology

Nov 2, 2017
The rewinding feature saves you time from having to start a level from the start. Thats all it does.

No way. If you die you have to go through the effort of getting back to where you were. And in games with limited lives, finishing without getting a game over is part of the challenge.

Deleted member 10428

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eh, It's a game. As long as I'm entertained I'll cheat or play on easy or whatever.
Some people seem to forget that and take stuff way too seriously.

Oct 27, 2017
The guy is a dick but I agree here kinda. It is technically cheating along with save states but it doesn't matter. Play the game how you'd like. Fuck this dude.

That being said games like Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts...don't brag about beating it if you use rewind/save states. Hell, don't brag about beating any game.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Eh he's entitled to his opinion. Just like people are entitled to thinking Trump is anything but a fucking piece of shit. Or like people are entitled to thinking the Earth is flat.

You know. One of those wrong opinions.

How dare Nintendo introduce a feature standard in emulators for 20 years.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Dont care if save states/rewind is considered cheating by a few people.

I dont have the time or patience to play games like I did growing up.

Hell, the reason why I bought the Mega Man Legacy collections is for those features.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Yeah, no, NES and SNES games are full of bullshit that's only there to increase the difficulty. Imagine if to finish a movie you had to do crazy hard QTEs, and you are like "bruh I just wanna watch the fucking thing" but some gatekeeping elitist asshole tells you you are cheating by doing so.

Such BS.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Yeah, this dipshit's opinion of whether my win was valid or not really matters to me.

Some people forget that the whole point of games is to have fun. If having fun is beating the game without assists, cool. If having fun is using assists to make the game more enjoyable, cool.

As long as you ain't cheating in multiplayer games, who gives a fuck? Giving a shit about "gamer cred" or whatever is laughably stupid.

Axiology

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, no, NES and SNES games are full of bullshit that's only there to increase the difficulty. Imagine if to finish a movie you had to do crazy hard QTEs, and you are like "bruh I just wanna watch the fucking thing" but some gatekeeping elitist asshole tells you you are cheating by doing so.

Such BS.

I mean, that's what it is. Games aren't movies. You can just as easily watch a playthrough on youtube to see a game's story. But you can't argue that that's somehow finishing the game. Cheating is cheating. But cheating is ok.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
You wouldn't find many people who do use the rewind feature bragging that they "beat" a game

this argument is always super silly to me, same goes for when people try to make out people who play on Easy never truly "finished" a game. It just comes across as self-validation and ego stroking.

Unless we're talking speed runs or other score-based feats, it doesn't matter one iota how another person experienced a game.

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
Don't know who this guy is. It's up to every player to establish their own criteria for what's fair play when it comes to beating a singleplayer game. The subjectivity of individual experience. Etc, etc.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's one thing to argue that people didn't "really beat the game"(I'll try not to lose any sleep tonight because I didn't feel like redoing an entire level in G&G.)

But to say these options shouldn't be in at all? Yeah no screw that. I'm not hurting you by cheating at Mario World.

Status
Not open for further replies.