• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Plastic Shark

Nov 17, 2017
Good the racist, weird, and unfunny guy is gone. Now we only have the other awful people and the guy who's friends with them left.

Rental Reviews sounds awful, and I'm a little curious at how awful they are, but not enough to watch them.

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
I recommend the recent "Taito Legends" episode. It's one of the best recent ones imo, and reminds me of the classic fast paced Action 52 review since it's a bunch of games in one review. Probably the episode I've laughed most at in the past six months.

Yes! I laughed my ass off with the "Lick Joe" scene.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He made a pretty good case for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles NES actually being a pretty good game, but other than that I never really enjoyed his contributions. The weird thing is that he was there for so long, but never really seemed to have much chemistry or rapport with James. I hope James can find a new sidekick that's more charismatic and suits his style.

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never liked Matei, excluding everything else he is just very unfunny and has this air of superiority around him that I can't really explain.

James is a great guy though, I wish him all the best. I think the AVGN has dipped in quality a bit but I usually try and keep up with all the newest ones. Monster Madness is a lot of fun too.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Mike was still active with the channel behind the scenes and helping with nerd videos. Makes me wonder if something happened recently and they gave him an ultimatum.

Maybe he did just want to focus on streaming but is his channel big enough to take that chance? Seems like cinemassacre would be the place to stay even if you have to check your ego, like he should have back when trouble surfaced.

People hopeful for bootsy I'm not sure he'll be back. James or mike said they wanted to do stuff with him a while back but he was focused on music and lives further away making it difficult. Covid likely put any plans on hold regardless.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, maybe I can watch Cinemassacre stuff again without feeling skeevy. Cool!

This is what I hope. I have not watched it since finding out but I also never unsubscribed since I hopped this would happen. Having to cut out nastalgia critic, cinema snob, jon tron, pbg and the completionist sucked since I followed them for so long but I started coming across more progressive tubers thankfully.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
GxyHGCfDCgNzaZDeIYv36QFDaApHWtJw1BSV606Dmao.jpg

U9Gf7ahsfkfFHUqoj71Oh63JibUUTlkZS53pxTwTM3Q.jpg

Mod Edit: Added Spoiler Tags

So, what is the joke of the first one? Like, usually they pretend that there's totally a joke we all too fragile to get behind all the racism... but that first one makes absolutely no sense, aside from like, just being crass and having slurs. Second one at least kinda has a joke. A shitty one, but there's attempt at humor behind all the fucking racism...

This Mike Matei guy seems extraordinary dumb based on this... ya know, on top of being vile.

Oct 26, 2017
Eat shit, Mike.

Maybe I'll start watching Cinemassacre again starting next year when that shitstain is gone.

Haven't kept up with James Rolfe, I'm assuming he's alright?

If you can call literally surrounding himself with nothing but racist, sexist shitbags "alright."

I tend to think that if you roll around with pigs, you're kind of a pig yourself.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That's good!
I didn't know about those awful racist comics, until I read about them on ResetEra some months ago. And I think 90% of Cinemassacre viewers still don't know about them.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
How old are those comics? I've seen them around for years and just assumed it was something he did 10-15 years ago trying to be "edgy".

Without full and absolute context, I'll simply say I just never really got into his contributions to the website. I was mostly watching Angry Nintendo Nerd in college and didn't know there was much beyond that until later. I appreciate the evolution of those videos from "how vulgar can I be" to "this game sucks, here's why, and also here's some history about it." The more recent AVGN videos have been my favorite ever.

Nov 3, 2017
It was always weird when he was in front of the camera. Like, if he`s important for running the channel, that`s one thing. He just has zero screen persona and is annoying to look at. That he`s an idiot is another thing, but I always was shocked that someone as good at making videos as James couldn`t see that Mike was simply bad for his videos. James and Mike Mondays are unwatchable, ditto to the Boardjames episodes where he`s in.

Epitomage

Banned
Sep 25, 2020
I want to explain to Mike why Independence Day is one of the greatest movies ever up to the mothership opening, and Judd Hirsch's big scene with the general. Then why it's one of the worst. But he's too busy being a cunt to expand his cinemind.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Rolphe should really try to make more movies. He should not let his career end with AVGN.
His school projects were messes, the AVGN movie was awful in almost every way and some of the short films I've seen did not instill me with much confidence he can actually make coherent movies or tell proper stories. early AVGN season is where he was at his best. They had a very charming hand-crafted DIY feel to them that's sorely lacking in the recent seasons. It may sound harsh but I don't quite think he has the talent to truly break out and do movies.

InfiniteKing

Oct 26, 2017
Weird how James has gotten relatively no blowback for putting this guy on camera for so long
Because it always seems to be the same song and dance around not only here but other places. Which is a hell of a thing normally if someone in media associates with someone who has beliefs in something or has a reputation for something they get dragged for it. And rightfully so.

But the AVGN die hard fans just shut their eyes and ears.

AVGN literally fucking collaborated with some pretty awful individuals in videos and everyone goes to the defense of "Well James don't know about this guy's behavior" or "Well they're just in a video together doesn't mean they're friends"

Come the fuck on.
I have seen so many people here defend him, coming up with bullshit excuses to justify why it's not James fault and he shouldn't be blamed for working with him.
"But AVGN doesn't run Cinnemassacre"
hE iS suCh a NiCe GuY

"I LIKE AVGN THO"

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
His school projects were messes, the AVGN movie was awful in almost every way and some of the short films I've seen did not instill me with much confidence he can actually make coherent movies or tell proper stories. early AVGN season is where he was at his best. They had a very charming hand-crafted DIY feel to them that's sorely lacking in the recent seasons. It may sound harsh but I don't quite think he has the talent to truly break out and do movies.
I mostly agree but I think his recent episodes are a big leg up on the latter Screw Attack and beyond episodes. Unfortunately they're just not particularly compelling.

Board James was good though.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Rolphe should really try to make more movies. He should not let his career end with AVGN.
I was hoping the show would end with the AVGN film... but I don't blame him. He's got a family and this brings money. And there's still good episodes coming out.

I have to say, it's fitting that AVGN started the "angry yelling at bad games" genre, was active while younger creators started popping up (e.g. JonTron), and outlasted the popularity of the genre. I mean, people stopped making those kinds of videos except for him!

Wild to think I was watching AVGN when I was literally half my current age.

Oct 27, 2017
How old are those comics? I've seen them around for years and just assumed it was something he did 10-15 years ago trying to be "edgy".

Without full and absolute context, I'll simply say I just never really got into his contributions to the website. I was mostly watching Angry Nintendo Nerd in college and didn't know there was much beyond that until later. I appreciate the evolution of those videos from "how vulgar can I be" to "this game sucks, here's why, and also here's some history about it." The more recent AVGN videos have been my favorite ever.
Guy is 40 years old, even if the comics are 10-15 years old that'd put him at 25-30. I don't think there's a good excuse for any of that.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
Matei is as untalented as it gets. Awful writing, preschool level sense of humor, shit delivery. But that could be ignored. The fact that he's an unapologetic racist (seriously all these years and he's afaik never apologized for that shit) cannot be. Good riddance to this garbage human. I wish he were leaving Cinemassacre under more deserving conditions.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
mike commented on the youtube video. says there is no bad blood, everyone's still friends, it's solely to focus on streaming. doesnt sound like this is the nuclear fallout some wanted to happen and kind of falls in line with what he said last time they did an updated video. wont be surprised if he shows up as a character on avgn now and then.

he's over 40 and the comics are from around college but it doesn't matter by modern social media standards. he should have really gotten out in front of it and made a full on apology. he has commented on it a few times and realizes his mistake but he needs to do it more visibly to the audience. he should still do an apology but im not sure some people will ever let it go. cinemassacre has its community and a sub community which might be one of the most toxic out there. that toxicity has only grown over the years and you see their narratives spread even in threads like these(not referring to only mike here). honestly i think it would be in james best interest to take in questions and do a Q&A/behind the scenes video to air things out.

Last edited:

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
This is what I hope. I have not watched it since finding out but I also never unsubscribed since I hopped this would happen. Having to cut out nastalgia critic, cinema snob, jon tron, pbg and the completionist sucked since I followed them for so long but I started coming across more progressive tubers thankfully.

What did PBG do?

Masterblaster

Nov 13, 2017
Didn't even know there was a racist thing with him. I simply couldn't stand him in any video he was in as he was the most bland , boring, unfunny, untalented person to watch out of all the Cinemassacre crew. I guess he only was so prominently featured because he is James' buddy from collage.

At the same time i feel that the quality in general in all of James' or Cinemassacre's videos over the past 3-4 (?) years has gone down significantly compared to his past work. I mean i don't blame him since he probably is more and more a family man now and that is his number 1 priority but it shows. His AVGN videos don't have the same quality or for a lack of a better term zing as they used to vs a couple of years ago. As one of my friends has so eloquently put it he has gone from a passionate amateur to passionless pro.

Last edited:

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Jirard is considered to be among the nicest and hardworking youtubers. Every content creator is in agreement about that. If you are going to ignore him you should stop watching YouTube vids since most of the people you follow are a fan of him

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
aw shit, what did Cinema Snob do?

Ragnar

Oct 28, 2017
Here's an insight you might take with you into the future:

It doesn't matter if the person who says and does racist things, actually in their heart of hearts is racist. The effect their actions have on the world and the people they target are the same.

That's why the whole PewDiePie defence force is irrelevant, for example. It doesn't matter if he's actually racist or not because his words and actions still reach and influence millions of children.

Lewpy

Oct 28, 2017
GxyHGCfDCgNzaZDeIYv36QFDaApHWtJw1BSV606Dmao.jpg

U9Gf7ahsfkfFHUqoj71Oh63JibUUTlkZS53pxTwTM3Q.jpg

Mod Edit: Added Spoiler Tags
Never seen these before. Assumed they would be more tongue in cheek, as he seemed to be still working on content.

Jeee...sus Christ!! That is as blatant! To splash your name across the titles, without any hint of subtlety is bold.

How is this guy still working?

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Jirard is considered to be among the nicest and hardworking youtubers. Every content creator is in agreement about that. If you are going to ignore him you should stop watching YouTube vids since most of the people you follow are a fan of him

PBG and Jirard seemingly have no issue hanging with white nationalist Jon Tron so I chose to no longer watch them.

aw shit, what did Cinema Snob do?

Boot licked the walkers and attacked the former contributors that were apart of change the channel that detailed the walkers crimes.