• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When they announced the hiatus, I kind of suspected things were over. Both of these guys are in their 40s now; I'm sure their priorities have changed considerably since they started out.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I have a weird Stockholm Syndrome thing going on with Mike where I don't like him, but can't help but watch his stuff every once in a while.

This is surprising news since it seemed like he basically ran the show over there. Maybe there's some personal drama of some sort? I'm also shocked that Mike never got "canceled" after the racist comics and posting his penis on the official Cinemassacre subreddit thing...

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I can't really watch the guys stuff anymore, James is a nice guy but the nerd character is super one note and his actual commentary I can't get into anymore.
The character has kind of mellowed out. He still gets annoyed, but in general he's more or less normal James riffing on games as himself. The Nerd used to be a bit more of an isolated character who in the mid-seasons would drastically overreact as his schtick, I'm guessing that's the period you're describing.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Wasn't a fan of Mike, so I'm happy I won't see him in subsequent videos. I'm also really excited for the Monster Madness idea. There's a fuck ton of awesome horror movies from around the globe, so I'd love to see some spotlighted so I can watch some of them.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Has James ever said anything about Mike being a racist pig? He's an upstanding guy and while I understand they were childhood friends, it's not excusable.

OP
OP
ElectricBlanketFire

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't find his dick pic and the curiosity is killing me

11077.jpg

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
I've always wondered, is he actually a racist af dude or was it one extremely bad taste poor attempt at humor in that comic?

Either way, goodbye BROWN BRICKS

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
eh, idk that wording is pretty final. "He won't be appearing in any future videos" isn't a sentence that needs to be added if it's just 'hey mike's leaving'
That happens. Maybe he wanted a cut for his segments and they couldn't agree. Not sure if that means acrimony, though.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to even remember the last video Mike was in when it came to AVGN. One of the 2014's Christmas special episodes where he was on screen for like 5 seconds with one line?

Also for those who don't know, Rental Reviews got canned a while ago, so the other guys probably won't appear as often as well.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
I didn't feel like he added anything anyway, it always felt like he wanted to pick an argument for the sake of it and was quite abrupt and rude I felt.

When you add on his racist comics I can't say it's going to be a loss for me personally, I didn't watch videos he was involved with.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've always wondered, is he actually a racist af dude or was it one extremely bad taste poor attempt at humor in that comic?

Either way, goodbye BROWN BRICKS
Remains to be seen I guess. If he's going full time streamer, it could just be a matter of time before a "heated gaming moment™" rears its ugly head.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
Haven't watched much AVGN in a while, so I was unaware of this Mike Matei drama, but not that surprised. He always seemed like kind of a fuckup asshole who had just hitched his car to his more talented friend's train.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I have a weird Stockholm Syndrome thing going on with Mike where I don't like him, but can't help but watch his stuff every once in a while.

This is surprising news since it seemed like he basically ran the show over there. Maybe there's some personal drama of some sort? I'm also shocked that Mike never got "canceled" after the racist comics and posting his penis on the official Cinemassacre subreddit thing...

the only thing nice i could say about mike was that he was the only one left at cinnemassacre that seemed to legitimately enjoy video games.
everyone else, james included, acted like they'd rather be involved with anything else but

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Good riddance. He was the most uninteresting/unfunny person on the channel. Oh and he probably made some of the most racist "comics" I have ever seen.

ShroudOfFate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
I mean, Mike co-wrote the bulk of the "glory days" AVGN videos, while those new guys write the new ones, so...
I've seen a few of the newer ones just by proxy of my friends watching them and the writing seems about on par if a little less vulgar

I just refused to seek out anything the channel did when I found out about Mikes bullshit

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Mike is literally why I just stopped watching any Cinemassacre content. Don't remember how many years ago was that since I saw those comics but fuck I never noped out of something so fast even though I spent years watching it.

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
Good that Mike is gone, but it's the other friends that have made most of his videos unwatchable.

I wonder if there's more to this departure. Mike has always been a huge part of AVGN production, to the point where I'm almost sure he's legally invested. Him leaving so unceremoniously is a bit strange.

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Fucking finally! I never liked him in the videos i saw and then way later i read and saw "the other stuff" and just wanted to get rid of him even more.

May 22, 2018
Outside of those comics already mentioned, I got sick of Mike's elitist attitude towards modern gaming in general. His constant shit talking of retro mini consoles and his refusal to accept them as a viable alternative got old real quick. "The only way to play these games is by spending hundreds of dollars on a console, controllers, games, and a old school tube tv." Get out of here with that shit. I don't care how much of an enthusiast he is, he came off like a prick.

As a side note, I unsubscribed from the channel because of their bad takes on modern...well...anything. Happy to hear Rental Reviews was scrapped. If you're going to have a show based on a group of guys talking movies, maybe you should actually, y'know, have a knowledge of film and not just record yourselves talking in circles.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
the only thing nice i could say about mike was that he was the only one left at cinnemassacre that seemed to legitimately enjoy video games.
everyone else, james included, acted like they'd rather be involved with anything else but

James has been checked out ever since the AVGN movie. Truth be told he doesn't seem that into videogames outside of his childhood favourites. If he had left Cinemassacre I'd say that makes sense, but Mike leaving is bizarre since he seems to be the one person who enjoys what he's doing AND has complete creative control...

Oct 29, 2017
The character has kind of mellowed out. He still gets annoyed, but in general he's more or less normal James riffing on games as himself. The Nerd used to be a bit more of an isolated character who in the mid-seasons would drastically overreact as his schtick, I'm guessing that's the period you're describing.
Maybe I'll check one out again. I watched one a couple years ago