• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Silius

Dec 10, 2017
Tacoma, Wa
I don't understand, how do we not have a main thread showing his blatant racism for all of reset era to see? Clearly alot of people aren't aware.

Water

The Retro Archivist
Oct 30, 2017
He drew extremely racist comics back in the days. He's still proud of them. He also photographed his dick and shared the picture on reddit.

The comics are inexcusable.

However, are cam girls, or anyone that shares nudes of themself online all disgusting people?

This post comes off as shaming who work in adult entertainment unless there's more context to him doing that.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
I really enjoy James, Justin, Kieran(sp?), and Tony...but Mike has always been insufferable.

Are the rental review guys shit bags too? I think James and Mike are life long friends, so I can kinda understand why James doesn't cut him out of his life. I have childhood best friends who hold questionable views, but I still love them as friends, life isn't quite black and white in that sense. I guess it is different if we're discussing a business and your moral stance of the business however.

Santini

Oct 25, 2017
The comics are inexcusable.

However, are cam girls, or anyone that shares nudes of themself online all disgusting people?

This post comes off as shaming who work in adult entertainment unless there's more context to him doing that.

Whatabout context:

Mike posted his dick pic publicly on his Twitter and the Cinemassacre subreddit, both of which were not flagged as 18+.

So basically, he exposed himself to minors as well as adults who probably did not want or expect to see that on their subscription feed when logging on to Twitter or reddit that day.

Water

The Retro Archivist
Oct 30, 2017
Whatabout context:

Mike posted his dick pic publicly on his Twitter and the Cinemassacre subreddit, both of which were not flagged as 18+.

So basically, he exposed himself to minors as well as adults who probably did not want or expect to see that on their subscription feed when logging on to Twitter or reddit that day.

Okay that's pretty disgusting.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
With all of this clusterfuck regarding Mike and cinemassacre in general, it has soured me from the AVGN videos, is a shame since i loved the content.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Y'know, it's probably only a matter of time before Mike gets called out in mass for this stuff. James is a genuinely nice guy, he even called out racism in some of the old films recently. But Mike... man...

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
The comics are really strange, though. As someone else mentioned already, there's really no logic as far as what's happening in them, and they really do just seem like a reason for the last panel or two to contain blatant racism for little more than shock value.

Has Mike explained why he does that? Could it be satire. Although if it is satire, then it's the worst satire ever and shows that he has issues. TBH I reckon James also has issues because you see how obsessed these guys are with toilet humor and violence. And I am not talking about the Nerd character but the let's plays and other stuff.

Sal

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Continued pattern of inflammatory drive-by posting; returning from ban and resuming banned behavior
What an abysmal thread, wow.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I sporadically check in on the Cinemassacre channel 2-3 times every year and I kinda wish James would just make a separate channel devoid of Mike where he talks about movies, as that seems to be where his passion genuinely is these days. It feels like the only reason he's still doing AVGN lately is purely out of obligation.

James could easily branch off on his own without issue, whereas Mike would probably be fucked if James ever abandoned him.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Long time since I stopped watching Cinemassacre, if James is still working with Mike, he's a fucking racist asshole for all I care. Both should fuck off.

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
N14TrHj7Td9EfSsp3QN4MqiAAQ6pt8IJSlg1e_9DDc8.jpg

There is even more.

wow...that escalated quickly

Oct 28, 2017
Ever since the beginning of avgn Mike always came over as a loser.
When James sweared it was comedic due to several elements, whereas Mike just thought swearing itself was funny.
The guy always came over as unstable and it's sad James is kind of stuck with him.
I imagine Mike is his best friend so just cutting ties must be hard for him to do.
I have some friends with questionable opinions but could never see myself cutting ties.
That being said we do discuss and argue our differences and there is some shit I don't tolerate from them.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
They're long time friends and their personalities meld pretty good. The racist stuff is from a long time ago if I'm not mistaken and while mike doesn't have the best filter/limiter, (he's basically a rage quitter that doesn't quit) hasn't done anything racist since.
He was in his mid-20's when he made those so it isn't like he didn't know better, he commented positively about the comics much more recently, not to mention he never apologized for them.

He posted a picture of his dick to the non-age gated Cinemassacre social media accounts, exposing himself to people who didn't want to see it as well as likely minors.

Plus, the whole subreddit fiasco. Yeah no, Mike is trash still.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand, how do we not have a main thread showing his blatant racism for all of reset era to see? Clearly alot of people aren't aware.

I think it's just because it's not news. He was drawing these in 2004 (when he would have been 24) at latest, and the comics were dug out on Reddit in 2017. Mike Matei is a major part of the Angry Video Game Nerd empire and doesn't give a shit about what he did, so he's probably not going to get any consequences except fans no longer watching. I gets brought up in other threads about associated things - you'd see these comics mentioned when Channel Awesome was imploding.

Y'know, it's probably only a matter of time before Mike gets called out in mass for this stuff. James is a genuinely nice guy, he even called out racism in some of the old films recently. But Mike... man...

Do you mean by fans or by James? One's happened to some degree, and I think the other's past the point where you'd expect it to have happened.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's just because it's not news. He was drawing these in 2004 (when he would have been 24) at latest, and the comics were dug out on Reddit in 2017. Mike Matei is a major part of the Angry Video Game Nerd empire and doesn't give a shit about what he did, so he's probably not going to get any consequences except fans no longer watching. I gets brought up in other threads about associated things - you'd see these comics mentioned when Channel Awesome was imploding.

Do you mean by fans or by James? One's happened to some degree, and I think the other's past the point where you'd expect it to have happened.

Well, I mean like how the internet blow up about Vic Mignogna and ProJared. I feel like that might happen.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Dismissing concerns surrounding racism
He was in his mid-20's when he made those so it isn't like he didn't know better, he commented positively about the comics much more recently, not to mention he never apologized for them.

He posted a picture of his dick to the non-age gated Cinemassacre social media accounts, exposing himself to people who didn't want to see it as well as likely minors.

Plus, the whole subreddit fiasco. Yeah no, Mike is trash still.

He's like 40 now, it's been a long time and not everyone feels the need to retroactively pick through their past. If someone wants to question him on it at a panel or meet and greet that's fair game. Judge him them instead of trying to drag a person for a past they might have put behind.

The penis pic is from a Canadian chaturbate model. Its actually not his and I don't quite understand people's obsession with his dick anyway. I'm not sure if mike posted it to troll people or if the whole thing originated on 4chan as it's often used as hate fuel on those forums.

Not sure what the subreddit fiasco is but that place was super negative pushing on conspiracy's last time I visited. Lot of unjust negativity directed at Erin.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I mean like how the internet blow up about Vic Mignogna and ProJared. I feel like that might happen.
Between those two, I'd rather the ProJared path than the Vic Mignogna one. I've heard some nasty things in person that have come out of that.

But I'm mostly familiar with the Angry Video Game Nerd as a footnote in internet history. Maybe there's some reason that it didn't take that sort of direction within this fanbase. Since it already hit Reddit and it's spread enough that non-fans like me know about it, I think it already successfully slipped the radar, but I suppose you could try posting a thread or posting about it to social media if you think it can still happen.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Between those two, I'd rather the ProJared path than the Vic Mignogna one. I've heard some nasty things in person that have come out of that.

But I'm mostly familiar with the Angry Video Game Nerd as a footnote in internet history. Maybe there's some reason that it didn't take that sort of direction within this fanbase. Since it already hit Reddit and it's spread enough that non-fans like me know about it, I think it already successfully slipped the radar, but I suppose you could try posting a thread or posting about it to social media if you think it can still happen.

Yeah, people pretty much united on ProJared, but Vic Mignogna... Yeah, it has not been pretty. Very divisive.

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
I don't think he means he is responsible for success, he's merely saying he was the one who created the channel on Youtube.

Anyways, congrats on success, AVGN was probably the first yt channel I followed.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
It sucks so much because I've watched angry Nintendo nerd since it started and avgn for all these years yet this dumb ass has always been involved. I think James is a stand up dude and I will always support watching his content. I have never, ever liked when Mike was featured and his sense of humor has always been disgusting. Unfortunately his dirty ass jokes rub off on James and just degrades the entire channel. If these two weren't college buddies I highly doubt they'd be friends today. Mike's fragile ego is shit too as evidence of his disdain of Bootsey, who seemed like a chill guy. This Twitter post in the op congratulating himself is such a joke. Dude is literally nothing without James.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
can't think of a time james was never low brow. not a bad thing, like south park it works where it works. but yeah i don't think any of that is mike
I hear ya, James' sense of humor is also low brow. But I've watched plenty of content where Mike starts it up.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I noticed that Mike's comment about the Loco Bandito is deleted from this blog.

It's still visible on the internet archive though. So did he make some minimal effort to bury it?

eh I draw the loco bandito when I feel like it and I haven't really felt like it. besides i'm to lazy to manage a website. i tried getting it published but noone had the balls. so whatever. I'll just draw zelda and be happy. btw i seriously loved that fliesher thing. one of my fav pieces next to katie rices link drawings. anyway take care. tell jon i said Hi and I spied on him one day on that camera thing. haha later

Wolfe

Banned
Sep 3, 2018
Never really had much of an opinion on him as I watched the AVGN videos for James, definitely over the channel now that I found out what a shithead Mike appears to be.

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
He's like 40 now, it's been a long time and not everyone feels the need to retroactively pick through their past. If someone wants to question him on it at a panel or meet and greet that's fair game. Judge him them instead of trying to drag a person for a past they might have put behind.

The penis pic is from a Canadian chaturbate model. Its actually not his and I don't quite understand people's obsession with his dick anyway. I'm not sure if mike posted it to troll people or if the whole thing originated on 4chan as it's often used as hate fuel on those forums.

Not sure what the subreddit fiasco is but that place was super negative pushing on conspiracy's last time I visited. Lot of unjust negativity directed at Erin.
There's always one in every thread...

Santini

Oct 25, 2017
YouTube video made by a former moderator of the Cinemassacre subreddit that goes into details of Mike Matei's actions and behavior.

tl;dr - Mike has never apologized for being a racist (for a number of comic strips he made as an adult in his 20s) or for posting a picture of his penis for others to see, including minors.

But he's sorry for abusing his mod powers on the subreddit.

Can't we all get along and celebrate his 3 million subs now? /s

DAREALGUMMY

Oct 25, 2017
Ughhhh. I was always worried something would sour me on James. I REALLY love his stuff. I mostly just keep it on the AVGN stuff. Gonna be tough to watch most of it now.

Lt.Chips

Nov 4, 2017
This is the idiot who named himself "Motherfucker Mike" when AVGN/ANN took off. I remember seeing every single comment on their early videos featuring him pointing out the ridiculous/offensive nature of this handle and to change it. He finally caved in and started using his actual name after a bit.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I never liked Mike. Even before the racist comics were found out. Something about him always irked me.

Deleted member 19742

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Is there YouTube personality Era doesn't hate?

Classy drive by, dude.

Anyhow, Mike. Hey, Mike. If there's any snowball's chance in hell that you're reading this right now, please reconsider your personality and your racism and your various thoughts on things, because they're garbage. What's that? It doesn't matter because you're a success? No. That's a horrible way to think. You can do better. It's doubtful you will, but you can fucking do better. Empathy for others and not being racist and not being an outlandish prick...those are good things!

As much as I've enjoyed James' videos in the past, they're harder to watch now because of Mike's involvement. Like, James making one exception to bad behavior and turning a blind eye to a close friend because, you know, friendship...like, I get it, in a way. But it's bad and wrong. Sorry, James.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
that reminds me to unsubscribe from cinemassacre.
And people say that James is such a nice guy, as long as he's pals with that racist piece of garbage, i just can't support.
Not in this day and age with so much information and education available can you subject yourself to those standards.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017

Let me get this straight.

It's not okay to judge someone for their past actions, actions they have not apologized for or condemned despite having it repeatedly presented to them, and you have to meet them face to face to talk about it?

It's okay that he posted a picture of a dick to non-age gated communities because it isn't his, people are at fault for talking about it, and the whole thing was a possible conspiracy invented by 4chan?

Could you stan any harder?

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
I still watch AVGN videos when they come out. But anything with Mike I pass. Even before I knew about the racist comics I didn't think we was very funny. I could tell Mike knows his shit when it comes to games, but he's not very entertaining and comes off as an annoying prick. And in the Mike and James videos Mike seems to do 80% of the talking & playing, while James will add a comment every now and then.