• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Slightly unrelated, but I've been going through King of the Hill for the past few months as it was something I only watched off and on during in its initial run. It's a largely great show, but I was really disappointed when I found out recently that this is the guy who plays Kahn:

UxSUmpd.jpg

I'm probably super late to the party on this one, but it makes it a lot harder to watch when his character appears now.

Yeah, it was definitely just a big blindspot for the show. They can make the excuse that Hank and Kahn are the same guy (down to their names being anagrams), but then you'd really want both of them voiced by Mike Judge.

Ultimately this show isn't airing anymore, so it'll never be rectified.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
Voiced by Alex Borstein who gave us such classics as the Asian Nail Salon Lady.

madtv-ms-swan-he-look-like-a-man.png
I love that the official line on this character is that she's not supposed to be asian and her ethnicity is a *mystery*

who did they think they were fooling

still a step up from Dana Carvey as Ching Chang, I guess
eenlzgzx4aezfhvl4km1.jpg

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
I love that the official line on this character is that she's not supposed to be asian and her ethnicity is a *mystery*

who did they think they were fooling

still a step up from Dana Carvey as Ching Chang, I guess
eenlzgzx4aezfhvl4km1.jpg

Yeah, found an article while looking for that pic, and apparently the original name of the character was Ms. Kwan before they changed it to Ms. Swan. Even as a dumb teenager in college who thought it was funny at the time, it was so obviously coded as an Asian immigrant stereotype.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
I'm wrapping my head around Family Guy having 20 years of shows. Did they forget to cancel it a while back or something?

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Slightly unrelated, but I've been going through King of the Hill for the past few months as it was something I only watched off and on during in its initial run. It's a largely great show, but I was really disappointed when I found out recently that this is the guy who plays Kahn:

UxSUmpd.jpg

I'm probably super late to the party on this one, but it makes it a lot harder to watch when his character appears now.

He also voiced Cotton. He'll always be Artie: The Strongest Man In The World to me.

ElPpeyw.jpg

As for him voicing Kahn, it's going to end up being a mark against many older shows because it seems like it wasn't uncommon. Weird thing about King of the Hill though is they were generally ahead of the curve on casting. Minh and Connie were both voiced by Lauren Tom. John Redcorn was voiced by Johnathan Joss. I mean, the show was very white overall, but Kahn seems to be the big outlier for the show when casting non-white characters.

It's good that it's being addressed in shows still airing. I saw people bring up Apu on the Simpsons, but does anyone know if Azaria still voices Carl?

Last edited:

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Good move. All voice acting going forward need to be portrayed by appropriate voice actors. The past is the past. And I understand there may be contracts in force. But going forward there needs to be better representation. And if not, I hope people call that shit out so that networks, studios, etc. HAVE to act.

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
cleveland without his voice isn't cleveland so just kill him off. he also plays consuela so does that mean he isn't gonna be playing her either?

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I see near-zero point to this. Cleveland doesn't speak to anyone's black experience regardless of who he's voiced by. He's long been written by non-black people who evidently only understand black experiences in 90s television and 70s blaxsploitation.

The only real gain from this is a black actor gets a credit in their filmography. Oh, and Mike Henry gets to appear "woke"

Do you see a single negative to finally putting an end to this shit?

Shadow2222

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I can understand the good behind decision like this. Hopefully this'll lead to kids playing child characters and other more realistic casting as well. However, I don't think sexual preference should play a role in casting, however, and I say that as a gay man. Straight actors aren't in love with the people they kiss on set - hence the acting, part. That doesn't bother me, so it doesn't bother me if they portray themselves different than in real life.

Subutai

Metal Face DOOM
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland Show has been canceled and Family Guy is straight trash now so whatever.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can understand the good behind decision like this. Hopefully this'll lead to kids playing child characters and other more realistic casting as well. However, I don't think sexual preference should play a role in casting, however, and I say that as a gay man. Straight actors aren't in love with the people they kiss on set - hence the acting, part. That doesn't bother me, so it doesn't bother me if they portray themselves different than in real life.

You know why this is a false equivalence right?

Kronotech

Oct 28, 2017
I love his portrayal of Cleveland but I'm happy they're doing what's right here. They should be able to re-purpose him into another character.

IneptEMP

Jan 14, 2019
Do you see a single negative to finally putting an end to this shit?

In retrospect saying "near-zero point to this" change was too strong. More black and brown actors seeing more opportunities in this apparent sweeping industry change is a good thing.

Still, Cleveland, as a character, will still continue to be exemplary as to why writer rooms need more people of color. That won't change regardless of who he's voiced by

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
Always wondered about how Mike Henry was allowed to play Cleveland, but mcFarlane wouldn't allow Cree (Elmira Dunn) Summer to play Meg when she auditioned for the role.

Whatever... show is trash anyways. Can't wait for another modern classic episode like "Brian gave Stewie herpies".

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
Take the character off the show. Get a new black character. Be creative.

Im sure removing the one black lead after they remove the man voicing him will go over well. Pretty sure there was backlash when Cleveland was originally removed from the show, it'd be even worse to remove him after he's no longer voiced by the original actor.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Im sure removing the one black lead after they remove the man voicing him will go over well. Pretty sure there was backlash when Cleveland was originally removed from the show, it'd be even worse to remove him after he's no longer voiced by the original actor.

What part of "get a new black character" in that post was missed?

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
they already did an episode where they tried to replace Cleveland with a new black friend after he left

he's still around and they make a lot of jokes about how hilariously black he is

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad that more and more actors and productions are going this route. It's obviously a great step forward that should've been rectified ages ago, but alas.

He also voiced Cotton. He'll always be Artie: The Strongest Man In The World to me.

ElPpeyw.jpg
Sorry for the slight derail but WHAT?! It's the same actor? My mind is blown.

Mar 3, 2019
User banned (1 month): Inflammatory false equivalence around representation
If that's what he wants to do because he's sees something good from it then go ahead. I firmly disagree with the notion that only white VA can play white characters and only black VA can play black characters. Samurai jack was played by a black guy, and no one noticed because that's what a voice actor does. They are paid to act as all kinds of people. And there isn't some "voice" that applies to a specific ethnicity unless they are really playing it up in which case you call that out as a racist caricature

Kinanza

Jun 25, 2018
Was this his decision? If so, that's an honestly mature decision. I wonder where he'll go next?

ClockworkOwl

Banned
Feb 1, 2020
If that's his choice then I respect it. However, I don't support making it a hard rule going forward that only people of colour can play their respective races. That's too strict.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I completely get this and it's the right choice but I had a startling thought. Imagine if James Earl Jones never voiced Darth Vader. In his word.... "Nooooooooooo!"

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If SW was made today I can't imagine a black actor being cast to voice a white character since the inverse is of course not right either. I know the dynamic between the two is wildly different for POC roles but surely a black actor wouldn't be a voice actor for a white character as well.

JEJ is the voice of Vader because Lucas wanted a deep, booming voice coming out of the robo suit.

Also, Vader isn't revealed as a "white" man until Return of the Jedi (which you can actually find several dissertations about how Vader is actually a racist creation, which I don't agree with, but that's beside the point).

tormented

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
For anyone surprised by this, it is worth noting that, as offensive and anti-PC as Family Guy usually is, the current showrunners have attempted to cast POC for nonwhite tertiary characters since they took over (around the time the show went HD a decade ago), because, according to some of the DVD commentaries, it's how they show they're just goofing around. You can read one of them talk about it in this article from 2018 about Diane from BoJack: https://www.indiewire.com/2018/01/r...ns-producers-cartoon-whitewashing-1201921109/

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The Cleveland show in the beginning had some pretty suspect writing. I forgot the season but you can tell when either they got black writers in the room or they just started listening to them