• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
There is nothing ambigious about the title. It gives ample amounts of context.

Maybe Google things instead of expecting others to cure your ignorance.
OP is six words long, and not a single word of it actually says anything about the title. If nothing else, it's a really terrible OP post since it doesn't even link the segment or where it might appear after a delay on their website or anything.

Last edited:

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas

Give me a break. If someone doesn't know something and asks, they're seeking information. It's not your place to be a jerk to them and call them ignorant when they ACKNOWLEDGE they didn't know the context. It's perfectly acceptable to just acknowledge the OP as bare bones.

I knew who all these people are, but hadn't heard "butt boy" as a slur before. Glad I didn't ask what it meant, lest I be attacked and called "ignorant" for asking a question and not rushing to google to do some investigation through Urban Dictionary which can offer literally dozens of definitions meaning completely different things between them.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of pedantry here about whether she meant the term as a slur, is ignorant about it, "well I've never heard of it", etc.

MSNBC isn't confused at all.

Rudolph

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado by way of Louisiana
Why even click the thread, then?

I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and assume she didn't know it was a slur or could be seen as that. I'm sure she'll make it right.

It's crazy how so many people want others to be more sensitive to plight but if you don't know what the plight is you gotta gtfo and not learn about it... But if your not woke next time I'mma give you mad shit.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
ITT a lot of people that didn't know it was a gay slur.

Count me in on that group. 31 y/o and might have only heard the term once or twice in my life and was always interpreted as "asskisser".

knowing.jpg

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Butt boy is a gay slur? I've heard asskisser and ass man with neither being gay slurs, but never butt boy in any context. People make these up too fast for me to keep up.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Never heard of the term "butt boy".

Sounds like some playground shit like "doodoo head" or "stinky butt".
It makes sense that it's a slur, but that was my first thought as well. It does seem like something she'd say from what I've watched. They don't seem the brightest, at least as TV show hosts. Other than the occasional entertainment value of getting under Trump's skin, I never really got much from them.

Oct 27, 2017
Regardless of whether or not you knew what the term implied, it's really clear that Mika did. And it's also really clear that NBC does.

shadow_shogun

Oct 25, 2017
@morningmika
https://twitter.com/morningmika/status/1072856682303275009

Totally agree with you -SUPER BAD choice of words .. I should have said "water boy"... like for football teams or something like that.. apologize to @SenatorDurbin too! SO SORRY!
G.E. Anderson

âś”@g_e_anderson
Replying to @g_e_anderson
I was with you, @morningmika, right up to the "butt boy" comment. Try "toadie" or "lackey" or "stool pigeon" or "ass kisser," or "traitor," but maybe don't equate homosexuality with Mike Pompeo carrying water for the murderous regime in Saudi Arabia.

9:12 AM - Dec 12, 2018
https://twitter.com/morningmika/status/1072856682303275009

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I'm another one who didn't know it was a gay slur.

However, using that kind a language on a news program seems completely unprofessional. I hate how Trump has debased the news media even more. His classlessness has invaded many arenas.

Indiana Jones

Oct 27, 2017
This thread reminds of the 2004 Jon Stewart/Tucker Carlson Crossfire confrontation that got Tucker banished into the Phantom Zone.

You had John Kerry on your show and you sniff his throne and you're accusing us of partisan hackery?

STEWART: Absolutely.

CARLSON: You've got to be kidding me. He comes on and you…

STEWART: You're on CNN. The show that leads into me is puppets making crank phone calls. … What is wrong with you?

CARLSON: Well, I'm just saying, there's no reason for you — when you have this marvelous opportunity not to be the guy's butt boy, to go ahead and be his butt boy. Come on. It's embarrassing.

I've always assumed "butt boy" means "asskisser" but regardless, it's a dumb, juvenile thing for an adult to say.

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Morning Joe is a show about Reagan-Era conservatives who hate Trump. They are not subject to concern-trolling 'gotcha' PC outrage like that because up until Trump, they were right along with the GOP agenda. A lot of times, they goad GOP figures who portray themselves as Alpha Masculine tough guys with terms like this in order to get under their skin. "Butt Boy" and "Putin's Cock Holder" (Colbert) are just some of the examples we've seen. They are used deliberately because the party of ridicule is so openly homophobic. It's very immature, but I guess that's what discourse is like nowadays. Although, I shouldn't say 'nowadays' because tongue-in-cheek allusions to politicians being the 'passive' partner in a sexual relationship with their benefactors goes back to ancient Rome. Marc Anthony said this about Octavius in regards to Caesar and vice-versa. Funny how things never change.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why do so many people think their personal ignorance is relevant at all.

Stop with this pretentious bullshit, so many people are surprised because it's usage differs in a lot of regions/situations, which makes it relevant. This isn't some coordinated attack on the credibility of people explaining that it's a slur so drop your hackles.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Fierro

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

You just told people to Google the word buttboy? lol.

I doubt anything major will come of this. I feel this thread indicative of how very little people even understood it as a slur.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I'll never understand how people have so many slurs in the chamber. I need to get out more as I haven't heard of it either.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know that 'butt boy' was gay slang. Always thought it was like the equivalent of 'Ass kisser' or the more polite but similar insinuation 'brown noser.'

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly side-eyeing the people who say they didn't know it was a gay slur.

Never, EVER, heard it said that wasn't meant to be homophobic ever since I was a kid. It is unbelievable to me that someone could hear it and not know it was a gay slur. It is right there, there is no other context.
When you're familiar with something and think of it one way for a very long time, it's common to not think of that thing in another way.

Upon reading here it's a gay slur, I immediately went ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh and made the connection. But if asked "what's a butt boy" before today, without the framing of it as a potential gay slur, I'd have said "an ass kisser".

It's nice to learn things.

Your "side eye" comment, a thinly veiled insult along the lines of "suspect" that lacks the courage to be direct in calling someone ignorant or a bigot or an ignorant bigot, reveals that you look down upon people learning new things. You shouldn't dislike learning so much.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As someone who used to be a homophobic grade school asshole, I can absolutely say that the term "buttboy" has only ever been used as a slur and is interchangeable with "fag" and "faggot". There is no other context where the term means anything other than a slur.

Considering that the term doesn't exist outside of a pejorative context, it's safe to assume that her use of it was both deliberate and mean spirited.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Your "side eye" comment, a thinly veiled insult that lacks the courage to be direct, reveals that you look down upon people learning new things. You shouldn't dislike learning so much.
Miss me with that shit. As a person in the affected group I don't owe them the education.

This seems kind of a reach to me. Like I don't like it or the implications but I'm not seeing much of a difference between this and how SNL has treated Trump x Putin. Not downplaying anything for those actually upset it just seems too soft for me.

The TrumpXPutin stuff is homophobic too.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This seems kind of a reach to me. Like I don't like it or the implications but I'm not seeing much of a difference between this and how SNL has treated Trump x Putin. Not downplaying anything for those actually upset it just seems too soft for me.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Miss me with that shit. As a person in the affected group I don't owe them the education.

Oh stop you aren't being victimized in this thread by people finding something out they didn't know before, and you aren't being asked to educate anyone. You missed the entire point of cagey's post.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I won't miss you with anything, as evidenced in my direct statement to you.

You should have the courage to insult people directly if you wish to insult people, instead of relying on passive-aggressive language.

Oct 27, 2017
This is the type of crap that derails threads too often around here. No one is willfully insulting you by stating they thought the meaning of the phrase was something else. And no one asked you to educate them. It's highly pluasible people thought it was similar to brown-noser or asskisser. The only person here insulting others is you implying that they're liars. So go ahead and miss us all with that shit.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I won't miss you with anything, as evidenced in my direct statement to you.

You should have the courage to insult people directly if you wish to insult people, instead of relying on passive-aggressive language.

Keep calling me a coward in a thread about homophobic slurs. Ok.

This is the type of crap that derails threads too often around here. No one is willfully insulting you by stating they thought the meaning of the phrase was something else. And no one asked you to educate them. It's highly pluasible people thought it was similar to brown-noser or asskisser. The only person here insulting others is you implying that they're liars. So go ahead and miss us all with that shit.

I don't believe them. I think it's a veiled attempt to defend a woman who doesn't like trump from some people. "Well I didn't know either" doesn't negate the damage done (and still being done) by the slur. "Buttboy" has always been meant one way.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Disgusting. She needs to make a proper, on air, apology. This is never acceptable.

Also, unrelated to this specifically, cancel Morning Joe ASAP.

Oct 27, 2017

I don't believe them. I think it's a veiled attempt to defend a woman who doesn't like trump from some people. "Well I didn't know either" doesn't negate the damage done (and still being done) by the slur. "Buttboy" has always been meant one way.
To you and me it's always meant one thing. Clearly to others it meant something else. I'm not willing to disbelieve them as their reasoning seems plausible. I do however believe based on her tone and context, she knew exactly what she was saying and she should be reprimanded. I couldn't care less if she hates Trump or not.

Deleted member 4274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta say, I never knew it was a gay slur either. I recall using it when I was a little kid (like 8). Since I'm in my mid thirties, I just wouldn't use a term so childish, anyway. I literally thought it was synonymous with "doodoo head", like another poster in here intimated. Good to know what it REALLY means, though.

Oh come on. Have more faith in people. The term is so fucking silly, it really sounds like some kindergarten bullshit. Just stop. And I'm not defending her either. Who uses the term "buttboy" in a news/opinion program anyway? It's fucking stupid, and she SHOULD know.

Last edited: