• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
https://www.gematsu.com/2021/04/mih...dventure-game-tears-of-themis-for-ios-android

Genshin Impact and Honkai Impact 3rd developer miHoYo has announced otome "romance x detective x adventure" game Tears of Themis for iOS and Android. It will launch this summer. Sign-ups for a closed beta test that will run from May 8 to 18 are available now until May 6.

• Romance x Suspense – As a new attorney at law, how will you solve a series of mysterious cases? Which of the four unique male leads is your destiny?
  • Character Stories – Weave your love stories with the man of your dreams. It could be a dream date at the amusement park… or a heart-pumping firefight for survival.
  • Video Messages – He is always just a call away. Never miss a beat from him, be it simple text message or an eager video call.
  • Detective Work – Reveal hidden details via interrogation and inspection. Gather physical evidence from the crime scene in 3D. Cross-examine and connect clues to uncover the truth.
  • Court Trial – Settle a variety of cases in the court of justice, but they all seem to be connected to a conspiracy… Carefully chose your evidence to grant swift justice.

Official Website

Announcment Trailer

Some Chinese version gameplay from youtube

Sounds like Ace Attorney mixed with a dating sim with gacha elements. The game has been out for a while in Chinese, but is now getting an English version. Since the target audience and gameplay is pretty different to Genshin Impact, I'm not sure how many people here will care about it, but it does seem fairly polished for a mobile gacha game. And the few impressions I could find online seemed generally positive.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
Well that's unexpected. I'll probably check it out, but if it's like Mystic Messenger where you gotta be up in the middle of the night or you miss chats from the guys I'm not going to play long.

PachaelD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Made me look, but I was just thinking that post-Genshin mihoyo were well equipped to publish smaller titles from other companies though I'm not surprised they've started by bringing over their in-house projects. Due to brandname alone it might do better than any other localiser/distributor statewide.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
I typically do not play mobile otome titles anymore, but I will probably check it out.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
skqOHmi.jpg

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
They have 2400 people working.

Looking from the outside, they look like the indie studio making waves, but they are pretty much as big as the largest mobile developers like Zynga or King.

That's Bonkers, I didn't knew they were that large. Does that 2400 number include their animaton substudio?

It's just an English language release of an old game of theirs. There's been a lot of interest in a translation since Genshin's launch.

Oh nevermind then. I thought this was going to be another ongoing game like Genshin and Honkai.

Sep 11, 2020
If you think that an otomo game has a completely different audience compared to Genshin Impact, you probably haven't played much of it.

This is the message that Xiao sent to players the other day, since it was his birthday:

ye9v0i086kt61.png

atlans89

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, just how many games are they simultaneously working on?
They have Project X, which was said to target this year
www.nvidia.com

GTC 2019: New Minecraft With NVIDIA RTX Showcase and Six New RTX Games Announced!

Minecraft with NVIDIA RTX, Ring of Elysium, Project X, Convallaria, Boundary, F.I.S.T. and Xuan-Yuan Sword VII joined the ray tracing momentum at GTC in Suzhou, China.
And rumored sequel to Honkai 3 which they registered the domain as Honkai Impact 4th: Galaxia.

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
Yes, a bunch of the otome players I follow on Twitter are into GI. It definitely has a sizable female following.
It's also sailed to the top of AO3's video game tags. Only a few games with more stories now, and Genshin's only been out 6 months or so. I think some folks have a really skewed view of who Mihoyo is selling their stuff to.

OP
OP
Pellaidh

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
If you think that an otomo game has a completely different audience compared to Genshin Impact, you probably haven't played much of it.

It's not just about it being otome, but also about it being a relatively small-budget (compared to Genshin) mobile only game. I really don't see it filling 3 OTs worth of discussion on here in the same way Genshin has (I'm honestly surprised this thread has already gotten as many replies as it has tbh).

Sep 11, 2020
It's not just about it being otome, but also about it being a relatively small-budget (compared to Genshin) mobile only game. I really don't see it filling 3 OTs worth of discussion on here in the same way Genshin has (I'm honestly surprised this thread has already gotten as many replies as it has tbh).

Fair enough. If they're localising it now (as opposed to a couple of years before) I imagine they do so because of the extra attention they've gotten from otome fans thanks to Genshin. Honkai Impact doesn't look at all like something whose fanbase could crossover with otome game fans.

OP
OP
Pellaidh

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Fair enough. If they're localising it now (as opposed to a couple of years before) I imagine they do so because of the extra attention they've gotten from otome fans thanks to Genshin. Honkai Impact doesn't look at all like something whose fanbase could crossover with otome game fans.

Honkai does have a mostly female cast, but even that game has some good looking male characters (who get fleshed out in supplementary manga rather than in the game itself). For example this guy. Most of them are villains in the story though, so they aren't written to be likeable, and I have absolutely no idea how popular these characters or the game are with women.

I think the Chinese version of Tears of Themis came out in 2020 (or maybe 2019), so it's not that old. Although I agree that the success of Genshin (and its female audience) is probably why it's being localized.