• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
So Microsoft is gonna use ray traced Minecraft to demonstrate the Xbox Series X ray tracing right? What other old games or games with simple graphics do you think Microsoft and Sony might use to demonstrate the RT on the next-gen consoles?

What (probably) PS1-era game could Sony bring back with full path tracing on PS5? It would have to be an IP Sony owns and where all the graphics are real-time, no pre-rendered stuff.

Edit:
I was mainly thinking bout the prospect of bringing back more early 3D games with full path tracing, like what they've done with Minecraft and Quake. Those examples are different and more demanding because ALL the lighting is handled through ray tracing, which kinda demonstrates the full power of ray tracing, but with current hardware can only be done with really basic graphics.

Minecraft made perfect sense for an Xbox Series X demo because MIcrosoft owns it and it has low-poly graphics. Thinking about it now I guess Microsoft could reach into Rare's N64 back catalog and do path traced Banjo or Perfect Dark. Yeah, I'd be all over path traced Perfect Dark actually, especially if they put it on PC.

Sony would have to reach into its PS1-era first party catalog, and Gran Turismo 2 might make the most sense because even back then it had impressively naturalistic lighting. I could also see path traced Twisted Metal and Syphon Filter.

Last edited:

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Making the Goldeneye remaster actually happen, but with RT, would be amazing. Total pipedream, but a fun one.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Perfect Dark 64 or Turok 2.

Edit: could Chaos Theory or Pandora Tomorrow be done? Cuz that would be dope.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
There were reports that Polyphony Digital was working on implementing real-time Ray-tracing on Gran Turismo which could be a sight to behold. And IIRC on the talk that Mark Cerny gave, he said he's seen some first party studios implementing Ray-tracing with good overall performance.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sea of Thieves seems like a great candidate for it. That water with ray tracing would be breathtaking.

I think it'd also be fantastic in Viva Pinata.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
A Ray Tracing mode in Sea of Thieves, or old school Xbox/Xbox 360 games could be great.

For example, the original Halo, Red Dead Redemption (although that is likely a pipe dream), Psychonauts. I would love to see the original Mech Assault re-release with Ray Tracing and full online support, that would be amazing.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Gran turismo 2. Any number of ps1 games. Would cool to have a line of remakes with full rt.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Hopefully, it's awesome. The racing games will be the first big showcases we see though, it'll be in other launch stuff but much more limited.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Next gen Forza will be breath taking. I also someone expect Microsoft patching some of their games on gamepass, like Gears 5.

OP
OP
RedSwirl

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I was mainly thinking bout the prospect of bringing back more early 3D games with full path tracing, like what they've done with Minecraft and Quake. Those examples are different and more demanding because ALL the lighting is handled through ray tracing, which kinda demonstrates the full power of ray tracing, but with current hardware can only be done with really basic graphics.

Minecraft made perfect sense for an Xbox Series X demo because MIcrosoft owns it and it has low-poly graphics. Thinking about it now I guess Microsoft could reach into Rare's N64 back catalog and do path traced Banjo or Perfect Dark. Yeah, I'd be all over path traced Perfect Dark actually, especially if they put it on PC.

Sony would have to reach into its PS1-era first party catalog, and Gran Turismo 2 might make the most sense because even back then it had impressively naturalistic lighting. I could also see path traced Twisted Metal and Syphon Filter.

Oct 30, 2017
I think people might be biting more than what the systems can chew since people are naming dropping current-gen titles and full path ray tracing is being used on the Minecraft (the game uses very simplistic graphics as indicated by OP to begin with) demo.

I wonder if PS3/360 era titles would manageable than just past Quake and Minecraft, cause I would love to see how like RE5, Gears trilogy, Uncharted trilogy, and Killzone 2 and 3 looks with full path ray tracing if possible.

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Halo CE with path tracing is possible on Series X. Even at 720p 30fps I'm sure it would look amazing.