• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jun 17, 2019
Chicagoland area here, says its 3 degrees but the wind chill is making it -13 degrees.

Chicago is at 5 degrees with the same -13 windchill effect.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
One aspect of the Midwest that I don't miss at all.

heathen earth

Mar 21, 2020
Minneapolis here. I don't mind the cold so much, but I am kinda getting sick of driving on icy roads to work every morning. Seems it doesn't matter which route I take, there's an accident or two each day.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
-6 in Omaha. They didn't cancel school on Friday and it took me over an hour to get my kid and get home when it's normally a twenty minute drive. Massive wrecks everywhere as the snow was freezing to the road and tire treads became useless.

edit: Just checked the weather. The high tomorrow is -4. lol

direct_quote

Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis here too, not planning on leaving my apt much today... Thank god this week things will start to warm up so I can continue walking outside. March is almost here and then Spring!

Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
It's bullshit. Haven't even left my place for a couple of days, but I'm going to have to grab groceries today before this damn snow storm hits....

NaturalHigh

Oct 27, 2017
Not going above 30 until Thursday here in Louisville and we are supposed to get quite a bit of snow in the next couple of days.

CorKas64

Oct 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Toasty inside but my 2nd job closed at 3pm cst today, I was supposed to go in at noon but cold killed my battery, couldn't jumpstart or the two jump boxes I had so had to call out. Luckily my main job is wfh.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
How do y'all survive in these temps?! Like, is your central heating just running non stop? Do you have gas to burn off for your heating? How does your furnace just not... die immediately.
I mean... Yes, keeping the heat on is normal in the winter here. How do you think Nordic countries have managed all these years lol

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Cold sucks, sure, but the fact that we haven't had a melt in months is the real worrying bit for me. We have feet upon feet of snow, and it's all gonna melt someday...

Jmille99

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kansas City. Its weather like that that really has me contemplating why I live in the midwest.

Currently 2 degreea and feels like -17 according to my local news app

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
I mean... Yes, keeping the heat on is normal in the winter here. How do you think Nordic countries have managed all these years lol

That's not really what I was asking. So, where I live the temp doesn't drop below ~20 degrees on the coldest of days. We use electric indoor central heating. I was wondering if Midwest homes use electric, or more gas to heat their home. And if so, how does the furnace stay running consistently in those -10 degree temps.

It was a genuine question. I'm not an idiot. I mean, of course I thought that the Northern European countries just froze to death. Which is weird that my wife's family is Estonian.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
That's not really what I was asking. So, where I live the temp doesn't drop below ~20 degrees on the coldest of days. We use electric indoor central heating. I was wondering if Midwest homes use electric, or more gas to heat their home. And if so, how does the furnace stay running consistently in those -10 degree temps.

It was a genuine question. I'm not an idiot. I mean, of course I thought that the Northern European countries just froze to death. Which is weird that my wife's family is Estonian.

Mainly gas. On regular cold days the furnace/blower stay on for about 10-15 mins an hour. One super cold days it could stay on for 45 mins/hr. The thermostat controls it automatically.

(The same blower works with the ac condenser in the summer to cool the house.)

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017

Most homes around where I am, in Illinois, have gas heat. Dunno if that's just my area or whatever.

It struggles to keep up when the temperature drops below -15 or so. It'll keep up otherwise, but will run constantly below zero.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I'm more mad at the damn ice sickles that keep forming on my house. I've been trying to get the ice melted this past week out of my gutters.

Just depends on the home. I have gas furnace. Mine runs about 6.5 hours total a day according to my Nest. But I keep it in the high 60 degrees. Warmer at night, colder during the day.

My parents ranch only has electric in the bedrooms. The rest of the house is heated by a wood stove.

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
Most homes around where I am, in Illinois, have gas heat. Dunno if that's just my area or whatever.

It struggles to keep up when the temperature drops below -15 or so. It'll keep up otherwise, but will run constantly below zero.

Mainly gas. On regular cold days the furnace/blower stay on for about 10-15 mins an hour. One super cold days it could stay on for 45 mins/hr. The thermostat controls it automatically.

(The same blower works with the ac condenser in the summer to cool the house.)

That sucks. :/ what're the prices like for a gas heated home in those conditions?

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool
God I am so fucking glad I moved out of Iowa City two years ago. When we had the polar vortex, some poor college kid died because he got caught outside without a coat. I heard that the full story was he tried running to stay warm and inhaled too much cold air, collapsing his lungs. Not sure if that's true though.

Oct 27, 2017
If I don't put the boots on her in this kind of weather, she does this weird squat when she pees with only two feet on the ground.
IAFzYb.jpg

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
That sucks. :/ what're the prices like for a gas heated home in those conditions?

Not too bad actually. It definitely feels cheaper than the costs to cool the house in summer.

Peak winter/summer bill for me is usually 1.5x-2x the lowest point of the year (which are in Fall and Spring). Like Einbroch said, that includes everything from water heating to gas for the furnace to electricity usage.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
MN here, have not left the house since I got home on Friday. I'm scared.

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I have noticed around here in Ohio is how unprepared folks are when it comes to snow storms. All I see are folks asking if any store has ice melt, rock salt and shovles in stock. Seriously you live in Ohio you should always have that ready to go.

BFIB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
4" and another 7-8 expected today with -17 after wind chill. It's too cold to even go out and shovel.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
It's been below 0 for the last week out here in South Dakota.

We're coming to the end of it, thankfully.

We're projected to be up into the mid 20s by Wednesday.

Starphanluke

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 15, 2017
Currently in Indianapolis. Luckily the cold isn't so bad (it's about 15°, feels like 0° with the wind chill), but we're about to get 12 inches of snow with a massive cold front on the end of it... so I'm not really looking forward to that

kris.

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Woke up and it was -6 in KC this morning. Opened my door just to feel what -6 feels like. It ain't great on the bare skin, lemme tell ya!

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
I had to go to the store in Minneapolis and yeah, it's cold enough that it hurts to breathe in. Thankfully I took my vacation this last week and this week (which I scheduled a year ago so go me on foresight) so I'll be avoiding all of it or I'd be outside working in it all day. Sitting at a stop light is actually enough for the temp gauge on your car to start going back down, it feels so bad lmao

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy to report that my car started after sitting outside all weekend. It was a close one, lol.

Woke up and it was -6 in KC this morning. Opened my door just to feel what -6 feels like. It ain't great on the bare skin, lemme tell ya!
KC here. It's INSANELY cold. -6 is no joke.

I woke up this morning and saw it was only -6 in Minnesota and that was great news, hahaha.

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
We've improved today that the "feels like" temp is the same as the actual temp. I mean it's still -4 but yesterday was -8 and "felt like -30ish".
Doing fine but really want to get back to walks/wagon rides with our dog and 18mo old daughter. (And sledding and parks and stuff)