• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AdrianG4

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It grows on you. I find myself rewatching the May queen dance sequence and post dance meal scene a lot.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Director's Cut is better and worth tracking down.

That extra 25 minutes is all character development and it's good.

Even so, theatrical cut is in my top 10 for the year for sure, maybe even top 5.

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
It seems like I'm the rarity who liked both Hereditary and Midsommar.

It's a shame we got screwed with the video release and there's no version with both the theatrical cut and the DC. Still haven't seen the DC yet.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Thought it fell off after the great beginning to the point that I didn't care what happened to any of the group that went to the festival. Had some great scenes, but it was a little too dull for me and I felt The Wicker Man was more disturbing when comparing these types of similar setting films.

Last edited:
May 17, 2019
I fell down a rabbit hole of trying to explain why I disliked this movie and responses were varying degrees of he deserved it.

It's also completely insane that the director's intent was to paint the ending as liberating for Dani and not indoctrination into a cult.

Thank you! I left a film club at my uni over an arguement over this and how people were telling me I was overreacting to something that I was "just making up."

May 17, 2019
I'm quickly realizing that A24 movies just ain't for me.

There are plenty of fantastic A24 movies, but I have a distate for their horror output. Lacks, I don't know, warmth? The kind of stuff that makes Possession, The Wailing, Repulsion, November, A Girl Walks Home At Night, The Otherside of the Underneath, Kuroneko, or Don't Look Now so effective to me.

cinch

Chicken Chaser
Feb 17, 2019
Worst movie i've seen all year, SO and i both hated it. Worst A24 movie for me as well; i've liked everything else i've seen from them. Really disappointing.

Last edited:

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
There are plenty of fantastic A24 movies, but I have a distate for their horror output. Lacks, I don't know, warmth? The kind of stuff that makes Possession, The Wailing, Repulsion, November, A Girl Walks Home At Night, The Otherside of the Underneath, Kuroneko, or Don't Look Now so effective to me.

Yeah, The Wailing was my favorite film of 2016, so I definitely don't mind long, slow burning horror movies, but both Midsommar and Hereditary didn't do anything for me.

You're right though, looking at their output there's a bunch of stuff I've enjoyed (The Disaster Artist, Mid90s, Eighth Grade to name some more recent ones), but their horror stuff just has not impressed me. Outside of Tusk. Tusk is great.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This. I found nothing really scary about Midsommar at all. Hereditary really got creepy in the last scenes

it doesn't feel like a horror movie to me, though the cliff scene is one of the most disturbing scenes I've ever seen in a movie and the fucking viking thing with the lungs was like, damn

but it feels like this weird tonally dissonant unnerving cathartic drama

Put me down in the 'eh' group. Visually beautiful, interesting play on the relationship/main couple, but tonally meandering, and I felt like it completely squandered the horror elements. If it hadn't been sold as a horror film, I probably would have liked it better, but it was just disappointing in that regard. Far preferred Hereditary.

Found what went down between the other couple and the guy who invited them/what it implied waaaaay more unsettling than much else in the film.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
I loved the look of the movie, but it sucked that I knew where the story was going from the beginning because of other movies that came before it. Not exactly it's fault, I know, but they could have tried to change things.

I liked Hereditary more for that reason.

bic

Oct 28, 2017
LOVED Hereditary, super disappointed in Midsommar. Just looked at the runtimes of both and I'm amazed they're almost the same. Hereditary was so freaking intense it felt like it was over in an hour while Midsommar just plodded along for me. I felt no tension whatsoever and the whole movie just reminded me too much of the Wicker Man.
Thank god for Eggers as Ari Aster & Jordan Peele's sophomore efforts really disappointed me.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's much too long for the small, interpersonal story it's trying to tell. I think there's some good philosophy within about how people cope with grief and the failings of modern secularism/intellectualism but it's stretched way too thin for the runtime.

Apparently Aster's next project is rumored to be a full on horror comedy which sounds exciting. The performances he gets out of his actors are spectacular and his use of cinematography and subtle visual effects is seriously next level craftsmanship. I just hope he reigns in some of his overindulgent writing.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Easily the film of the year. It has this unsettling quality that horrifies without being overt about it. Like when you stare at something innocent and only when you look at the details is something completely fucked. The shots are incredible and the score's lovely. Add that with a really tight script, and it's a fucking knockout. It's a shame this glut of whiz-bang superhero flicks has shot people's attention spans that they can't even understand why a movie would take its' time with pacing.

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
I didn't enjoy it. However, Hereditary is one of my favourite horror films of all time, and Toni Collete not winning an Oscar for her performance is a tragedy.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was just ok, not as good as Hereditary. But that's just me.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
Nowhere near the level of Hereditary, but still very good. Director's cut takes it up a notch too. I think The Lighthouse was the better A24 release for the year tho.

woodypop

Oct 27, 2017

Even so, theatrical cut is in my top 10 for the year for sure, maybe even top 5.
How/where is the Director's Cut available? Is it on streaming somewhere, or available on blu-ray? Definitely interested in seeing it.

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
I really liked it and appreciated how different from Hereditary it was, even if it wasn't quite as strong. Can certainly understand why the film is so divisive, and don't really think that's necessarily a bad thing.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
never realized hereditary was so beloved and midsommar so seemingly divisive. glad I can still avoid from The Discourseā„¢ for some movies, would have gotten whiplash as I thought hereditary was good but pretty standard feeling aside from the camera work and felt midsommar was exceptional in every aspect.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
That screaming scene will forever be the most bizarre thing I've seen in a movie. I loved every bit of it.

Shokunin

Oct 25, 2017
The city beautiful
How/where is the Director's Cut available? Is it on streaming somewhere, or available on blu-ray? Definitely interested in seeing it.
I believe it's exclusive to Apple TV/iTunes.

I agree that it's the definitive version and much better than the theatrical release. Only downside is it's only 1080p with no Dolby Vision (if you're into that sort of thing).

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017

Isn't it Apple exclusive or something like that? If so, screw this.

EDIT: Answered above. This sucks.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Isn't it Apple exclusive or something like that? If so, screw this.

EDIT: Answered above. This sucks.

I thought not? That was misinformation.

I bought the movie and for some reason
It doesn't keep track of your position when watching movies in the Extras section when using the IOS app. Maybe it is different on AppleTV?

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Hard disagree.

I thought it was profoundly boring after the insane first 10 minutes or so. It's a movie where every character lacks the slightest bit of common sense and acts bizarrely one-dimensional as if it's a cliche 90's slasher movie.

Visually splendid at first but is dependant on the same setups making it boring to watch quite fast.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I did like it but I do feel like the destination wasn't worth the journey. Like there are points where the movie literally tells you what is going to happen and then completely goes along with what they told you. It was well directed and whatnot but the movie loved showing you it's hand before it could play it. Then when it plays it you aren't too surprised.

Jul 18, 2018
Like hereditary, the first 1/4th of the movie is amazing. Then everything else to me falls flat. I just don't see why people enjoyed midsommar when it does nothing else in the movie. Nothing is surprising, everything is a slow burn that amounts to nothing and the gore they marketed isn't even anything disturbing compared to horror movies that have came out recently. But mystery....idk how people can't realize what will happen, it's the same tropes of every movie dealing with a cult/village

The cinematography though is always on point. Really well made

bic

Oct 28, 2017
It's a shame this glut of whiz-bang superhero flicks has shot people's attention spans that they can't even understand why a movie would take its' time with pacing.
Lol yeah that's why people didn't enjoy the movie. The last superhero movie I watched was Dark Knight Rises when it was in theatres. Or is this a joke on Scorsese?

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
it's a goofy film but i'll take it over the mostly uninteresting hereditary, though i think they are both only okay and mostly held up by a few key scenes and good cinematography

blomby

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
big yikes that people can think this movie's message endorses victim blaming and not the disgusting views we will create of people we once loved during a breakup