• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aesthet1c

Oct 27, 2017
There is value to aspects of a movie beyond story. Atmosphere, themes, performances, editing, cinematography etc. If you're looking for only story in a movie then you're missing out.

You're definitely not wrong, and I will agree that the atmosphere and cinematography were really well done, but those bits didn't add up to a good movie for me.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I watched the film tonight and loved it. I could see this being an extremely memorable film, especially with that ending. Going to sit on it for a week or two and watch the director's cut (I bought the iTunes version).

I'm really surprised how many people gave the impression that this film is disturbingly gory. Whaaa? This was tame in the gore department. Maybe I'm just desensitized to this stuff.

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
I can't imagine not finding Aster's films interesting. They are incredibly riveting and there is so much to take away from them.

Agreed 1000%. I love Ari, he's a true auteur and you can tell he doesn't take himself too seriously which to me adds so much more enjoyment to his movies. I hope one day he's able to capture that casual audience because no one I know in real life likes his movies lol

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
Oh fuck I am the boyfriend character... that first phone call 0_0

edit: 30 minutes in, hopefully my boy makes it

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
If you want to ruin your day you should watch Aster's short film before Hereditary...

GrubChub

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You're definitely not wrong, and I will agree that the atmosphere and cinematography were really well done, but those bits didn't add up to a good movie for me.

Yeah, production values wise this was great. But this film wasn't enjoyable in the least bit and I'm also struggling to see the shock value. Maybe it's just because I have seen real horror movies that actually having shocking imagery. I don't know.

vehn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who's the disfigured face girl? Just watched the movie but didn't understand that

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Who's the disfigured face girl? Just watched the movie but didn't understand that

my take was she was a 'village mystic' of sorts, which i guess they groom every generation via inbreeding. i got the impression most of her parts were cut from the script or even the full film cut

Last edited:
Finally got to see it. I was really excited after watching Hereditary, but while I think it was beautiful and very interesting, it wasn't scary at all. Just felt like a different angle on
The Wicker Man.

^Not sure what would be considered a spoiler, so just tagging everything.