• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Paper Wario

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Reviews definitely look positive. I really liked Hill House but I couldn't get through Bly Manor. Definitely will check this out over the weekend

Rocket786

Oct 27, 2017
QB1 and Mike Flanagan! I had no idea about this show until today and holy hell, it comes out this Friday!

IMO, Hill House is the best show ever on Netflix. Throw in our favorite QB and the hype is immediately through the roof! Can't wait to watch with the wife!

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Pretty great thread here. :) Thanks to the Hill House maze at Horror Nights, I am gaining interests in this guy's work again. I actually did see Hush a couple years back, and I really liked it. Maybe I will add Doctor Sleep for my 31 Days of Horror viewing this year.

At some point I will finally see Hill House and go from there!

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Did you go to the Hill House maze? How was it?

I really liked it, and certainly enough for me to consider seeing these shows at long last. The bent neck lady is cool, along with that tall man and one zombie ghost that I think appears in the cellar. Some nice stuff with transparent walls too.

I love the atmosphere of the maze in general, being someone loves the likes of Disney Haunted Mansion, so I could use more of that. XD

Edit: Just saw the Something Is Killing the Children news, holy shit. I hope it turns out well, cause the comic is fantastic.

OP
OP
Conditional-Pancakes

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
I really liked it, and certainly enough for me to consider seeing these shows at long last. The bent neck lady is cool, along with that tall man and one zombie ghost that I think appears in the cellar. Some nice stuff with transparent walls too.

I love the atmosphere of the maze in general, being someone loves the likes of Disney Haunted Mansion, so I could use more of that. XD

Edit: Just saw the Something Is Killing the Children news, holy shit. I hope it turns out well, cause the comic is fantastic.

I'm so jealous you got to experience that maze, it seems so fun. And The Haunting of Hill House is such a fantastic show, go watch it now! And then come back here to tell us what you think :)

And yeah, the Something Is Killing the Children project really is intriguing. I'm not familiar with the comic, but I think I'll try to read it before Flanagan releases his version.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
I'm so jealous you got to experience that maze, it seems so fun. And The Haunting of Hill House is such a fantastic show, go watch it now! And then come back here to tell us what you think :)

And yeah, the Something Is Killing the Children project really is intriguing. I'm not familiar with the comic, but I think I'll try to read it before Flanagan releases his version.

Horror Nights was so much fun, well long lines and caution about Covid aside ha ha. Even gotten a bit of Hill House merch with the button set they were selling.

At the earliest I'll probably get on Netflix for Jojo Part 6 in Dec, so I will starting watching then. :D That or if I find the blu-ray/DVD copy on sale.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Finally got caught up on this thread since I decided to revive my effort to watch all of Flanagan's available movies.

I watched Hush last night despite my initial hesitation as I am not at all a fan of home invasion scenarios. Surprisingly, though, it didn't bother me as much as I thought it would and I ended up really enjoying the tense atmosphere that was presented. Plenty as been said about the lead performances, so I won't rehash that here. I do especially appreciate how they don't really make Maggie out to be a victim and, instead, presented this as a showdown between her and the intruder. I did immediately notice/recognize the Midnight Mass book, so that's a cool Easter egg. I will probably end up watching this again with my wife soon as I think it's something she would enjoy.

Next up will likely be Oculus or Ouija: Origin of Evil. Haven't decided, yet.

Beyond that, I'm a bit nervous to check out Gerald's Game and it's always been the one that I just didn't see myself watching. To be completely transparent, sexual trauma has been present during several periods in my life and this movie seems to press on that topic a bit - so that has me a bit nervous but Flanagan tends to take very thoughtful approaches to some difficult topics. We'll see if I ended up watching it - I'm not quite sure, yet. Also - the references in this thread to the "hand scene" in this movie sound pretty gruesome... not sure I can handle that, lol.

Lastly - can't wait for Midnight Mass. Haven't been this excited for a show since... well, probably since Bly Manor!

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

honavery

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Pumped for this.
Rewatching Hill House now, and (to me at least) it is just one of the saddest things ever. The juxtaposition of the kids vs the severely emotionally damaged adults is just almost too much for me at times.

OP
OP
Conditional-Pancakes

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
Beyond that, I'm a bit nervous to check out Gerald's Game and it's always been the one that I just didn't see myself watching. To be completely transparent, sexual trauma has been present during several periods in my life and this movie seems to press on that topic a bit - so that has me a bit nervous but Flanagan tends to take very thoughtful approaches to some difficult topics. We'll see if I ended up watching it - I'm not quite sure, yet. Also - the references in this thread to the "hand scene" in this movie sound pretty gruesome... not sure I can handle that, lol.

Let me reveal what happens in the movie while trying to limit other spoilers as much as I can. That way you'll be able to make an informed decision about whether to watch Gerald's Game or not.

The main character, the one played by Carla Gugino, was sexually abused once by her father when she was around 12. You see a flashback where it happens (you don't see anything graphic or too explicit, but you know what happens) and others showing the subsequent emotional abuse from the father. The whole movie kind of revolves around the impacts it all had on her life.

And like you guessed, Flanagan's approach is very tactful, and everything has a real narrative purpose. It's never exploited for shock value. It's all very well done.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Conditional-Pancakes

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
Pumped for this.
Rewatching Hill House now, and (to me at least) it is just one of the saddest things ever. The juxtaposition of the kids vs the severely emotionally damaged adults is just almost too much for me at times.

Hill House is so emotional. The juxtaposition, like you say, is so masterfully done. This show is such a masterpiece.

I do also think the emotional aspect of Bly Manor – while executed completely differently than Hill House – is also very impactful.

I just can't wait for Midnight Mass.

Don't you mean... re-hush it? *rimshot*

Don't you mean... hand-le it? *rimshot*
I'm so sorry. Please don't threadban me.

You're out of control!! :p

OP
OP
Conditional-Pancakes

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
At the earliest I'll probably get on Netflix for Jojo Part 6 in Dec, so I will starting watching then. :D That or if I find the blu-ray/DVD copy on sale.

There's a cheaper dual pack of Hill House / Bly Manor being released in the middle of October if it's something that interests you :)
(Well, cheaper than buying the two series separately...)

91p+Kj19PcS._SL1500_.jpg

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Oh I see Doctor Sleep was removed from HBO Max, sigh. I love but hate this service now ha ha.

Eh screw it, I'll probably check it out from my local library since I be grabbing some other stuff for next month anyway. Hell I could probably do that with Hill House also, although I will keep that 2 series collection in mind.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking about buying Haunting of Hill House on Blu-Ray if it has good extra. Can anyone comment?

I also went to the Hill House maze at Halloween Horror Nights and it was the best!

OP
OP
Conditional-Pancakes

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
I was thinking about buying Haunting of Hill House on Blu-Ray if it has good extra. Can anyone comment?

I also went to the Hill House maze at Halloween Horror Nights and it was the best!

The Hill House Blu-ray set doesn't have any behind-the-scenes extra or stuff like that, but three episodes (1, 5 and 10) have an Extended Director's Cut version. And they're all great. For example, the Director's Cut for episode 10 adds a lot of stuff to the visions the characters are having when trapped in the Red Room. I think they're really worth it.

Also, four episodes (1 extended, 5 extended, 6 and 10 extended) have a commentary track by Mike Flanagan. Flanagan's commentaries are always special because he's a huge fan of commentary tracks. So he really goes deep into the process of creating and making the show, the meanings behind a lot of what he did, etc. These commentaries are all wonderful. I used them quite a bit for the Hill House write-up in the OP.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
The Hill House Blu-ray set doesn't have any behind-the-scenes extra or stuff like that, but three episodes (1, 5 and 10) have an Extended Director's Cut version. And they're all great. For example, the Director's Cut for episode 10 adds a lot of stuff to the visions the characters are having when trapped in the Red Room. I think they're really worth it.

Also, four episodes (1 extended, 5 extended, 6 and 10 extended) have a commentary track by Mike Flanagan. Flanagan's commentaries are always special because he's a huge fan of commentary tracks. So he really goes deep into the process of creating and making the show, the meanings behind a lot of what he did, etc. These commentaries are all wonderful. I used them quite a bit for the Hill House write-up in the OP.
I may have to get it then.

Also I'll be watching the first 2 episodes in 90 minutes!

OP
OP
Conditional-Pancakes

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
Also I'll be watching the first 2 episodes in 90 minutes!

Me too! I can't wait! 6pm PT / 9pm ET

is there an OT for Midnight Mass? It premieres in a couple days...

I don't think there is. What do you think would be the best Ratsky, having a separate OT of having the discussions here?

I can whip one up if no one else is.

Sure! If RatskyWatsky thinks it's best to have separate OT, please go ahead :)

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Hm, I always thought this was like a news and info thread? New threads will generally generate more discussion than old threads, so I think there would be more posts about the show if there was a separate OT just for Midnight Mass 🤔

OP
OP
Conditional-Pancakes

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
Hm, I always thought this was like a news and info thread? New threads will generally generate more discussion than old threads, so I think there would be more posts about the show if there was a separate OT just for Midnight Mass 🤔

Makes sense! :)

Edit-
The Midnight Mass OT:

www.resetera.com

Midnight Mass |OT| The End of Everything (Mike Flanagan's new Netflix series)

This little island, so sleepy it might be dead. The isolated community on Crockett Island experiences miraculous events - and frightening omens – following the arrival of a charismatic, mysterious young priest. An original series from Mike Flanagan comes to Netflix on September, 24th. Watch...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Conditional-Pancakes

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
To those who could reserve a place for the two episode screener of Midnight Mass, the portal is now open! Just follow the link in the email they sent. They say the event will begin in ~30 mins.

Depending on the format they'll be doing this / if it's interesting / if I have time, I'll try to post a summary (or maybe even a transcript) of the closing Q&A event in the Midnight Mass OT. And my non-spoiler impressions of these first two episodes, of course :p

Last edited:

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Let me reveal what happens in the movie while trying to limit other spoilers as much as I can. That way you'll be able to make an informed decision about whether to watch Gerald's Game or not.

The main character, the one played by Carla Gugino, was sexually abused once by her father when she was around 12. You see a flashback where it happens (you don't see anything graphic or too explicit, but you know what happens) and others showing the subsequent emotional abuse from the father. The whole movie kind of revolves around the impacts it all had on her life.

And like you guessed, Flanagan's approach is very tactful, and everything has a real narrative purpose. It's never exploited for shock value. It's all very well done.
Thanks for this. I still haven't decided one way or another but this is helpful. In the meantime, I'll continue going through the rest of his filmography.

OP
OP
Conditional-Pancakes

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
Thanks for this. I still haven't decided one way or another but this is helpful. In the meantime, I'll continue going through the rest of his filmography.

No problem! Absolutely no pressure, but if you end up watching Gerald's Game please let me know. I would be very interested to know what you think.

In any case, let us know your thoughts about his other movies!

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
So, Ouija was pretty good. I liked the overall style of the movie including the retro introduction for Universal Studios and the burn marks on the film.

I really enjoy seeing a lot of the same actors in Flanagan's movies as I'm working my way through them, which is probably one of the big reasons I liked this movie. All 4 leads here - Alice, Lina, Doris, and Father Tom - are really good and fun to watch.

Some cool visuals, as well. Nothing special when Michael drops down from the second floor and hangs himself. However, it's pretty creepy when he momentarily comes back to life later and moves while still attached to the bedsheet or whatever he had around his neck.

Anyways, good movie that I definitely would've never watched if it hadn't been recommended here. Flanagan really owns the setting of the movie (1967) and I wouldn't be opposed to seeing more horror from that era. There's a charm/appeal to it.

OP
OP
Conditional-Pancakes

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
So, Ouija was pretty good. I liked the overall style of the movie including the retro introduction for Universal Studios and the burn marks on the film.

I really enjoy seeing a lot of the same actors in Flanagan's movies as I'm working my way through them, which is probably one of the big reasons I liked this movie. All 4 leads here - Alice, Lina, Doris, and Father Tom - are really good and fun to watch.

Some cool visuals, as well. Nothing special when Michael drops down from the second floor and hangs himself. However, it's pretty creepy when he momentarily comes back to life later and moves while still attached to the bedsheet or whatever he had around his neck.

Anyways, good movie that I definitely would've never watched if it hadn't been recommended here. Flanagan really owns the setting of the movie (1967) and I wouldn't be opposed to seeing more horror from that era. There's a charm/appeal to it.

It's surprisingly good, isn't it? And I'll repeat my warning: don't feel compelled to watch the first Ouija movie. It's somewhat fun to see the two stories being related, but the first one is... not good. Especially now that you saw Flanagan's sequel.

It's true that there's definitely a charm to the setting, I agree. And they all had so much fun doing this, it really shows and definitely also adds to the charm and appeal of the film.

It's interesting you watched Ouija before Oculus. Now when you'll watch Oculus you'll see the performance of a much younger Annalise Basso. I think it's interesting to contrast her performances in these two movies.

And I'll repost one of the trailers they released for this film because it's just so silly and fun!

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
It's surprisingly good, isn't it? And I'll repeat my warning: don't feel compelled to watch the first Ouija movie. It's somewhat fun to see the two stories being related, but the first one is... not good. Especially now that you saw Flanagan's sequel.

It's true that there's definitely a charm to the setting, I agree. And they all had so much fun doing this, it really shows and definitely also adds to the charm and appeal of the film.

It's interesting you watched Ouija before Oculus. Now when you'll watch Oculus you'll see the performance of a much younger Annalise Basso. I think it's interesting to contrast her performances in these two movies.

And I'll repost one of the trailers they released for this film because it's just so silly and fun!

I'll keep that in mind regarding the first Ouija movie. My wife starting watching all these movies with me and she was wanting to track down the first Ouija movie even though it wasn't directed by Flanagan. I'll tell her we should just pass on it.

I pretty much got through the rest of his filmography this week (had already seen Doctor Sleep but none of the others) aside from Gerald's Game which I think I will skip for the time being. A few brief thoughts below:
  • I really liked Absentia. The acting was solid across the board except for maybe the Detective Mallory guy. I went into the movie almost completely blind and appreciated the mystery and general reveal towards the end. You can already see some of Flanagan's repeated themes here with the dog trade that gets somewhat reused in Oculus as well as him calling into question what you've seen based on other interpretations of the characters or by way of the supernatural or drugs. Still a bit hard to recommend this movie due to it's low budget nature but I found it very worthwhile.
  • Before I Wake was just okay. I do appreciate that Flanagan dabbles in some PG13 horror like this (and Ouija) since I'm sometimes in the mood for lighter fare but this ultimately didn't make a huge impact. Again, he gets generally good performances from the actors and I did care about their journey. I thought the reveal about the Canker Man was strong and made a ton of sense but the ending with hints about the boy's powers and the futures of the people that were taken by the Canker Man just came across a bit clunky to me. Still a solid movie, though.
  • Oculus was great fun. The leads were really great together and I enjoyed seeing some of the recycled themes from Absentia in a more fleshed-out form (the dog thing, questioning what you're seeing, etc). I like the parallel timeline structure and the payoff at the end worked for me, although my wife loathed it and I think it ruined the movie for her (lol).
This was a lot of fun to go through these movies finally and I'm extremely hyped for Midnight Mass tonight.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Ive never seen a single one of Mike Flanagan's movies or shows, so figured I would start watching in order of when they were made. i could not find any of his student project movies. The Ghosts of Hamilton Street actually sounded like a fairly interesting premise, but I could not find it anywhere. not even a dvd for sale. So I started at Oculus Chapter 3 and Absentia tonight.

Oculus Chapter 3 was pretty interesting, not much to say about it really. The actor was decent and the dialogue was engaging.

I actually really liked Absentia. Could definitely feel the low budget, and I think it actually hurt it, but not much that they could do. I was not expecting it to be as morbid as it was. The last 15 mins or so were pretty shocking to me. I just wish there was more at the end and showing more.

And I laughed my ass off when it was over, I could only find it on Tubi, and it recommended and started autoplaying Shrek Forever After when Absentia was over.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Ive never seen a single one of Mike Flanagan's movies or shows, so figured I would start watching in order of when they were made. i could not find any of his student project movies. The Ghosts of Hamilton Street actually sounded like a fairly interesting premise, but I could not find it anywhere. not even a dvd for sale. So I started at Oculus Chapter 3 and Absentia tonight.

Oculus Chapter 3 was pretty interesting, not much to say about it really. The actor was decent and the dialogue was engaging.

I actually really liked Absentia. Could definitely feel the low budget, and I think it actually hurt it, but not much that they could do. I was not expecting it to be as morbid as it was. The last 15 mins or so were pretty shocking to me. I just wish there was more at the end and showing more.

And I laughed my ass off when it was over, I could only find it on Tubi, and it recommended and started autoplaying Shrek Forever After when Absentia was over.
Better buckle up; you're just about to start the actual ride. Wheee!

OP
OP
Conditional-Pancakes

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness

Yeah, I could never find his student movies either. And according to what Flanagan says about them, the lack of availability seems to be very much on purpose :p

And it's so cool you could watch the Oculus short before the feature film! I'm very interested in knowing how you'll compare them.

Did you spot the Oculus mirror in Absentia?

Looking forward to read your impressions about the rest of his work!

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I could never find his student movies either. And according to what Flanagan says about them, the lack of availability seems to be very much on purpose :p

And it's so cool you could watch the Oculus short before the feature film! I'm very interested in knowing how you'll compare them.

Did you spot the Oculus mirror in Absentia?

Looking forward to read your impressions about the rest of his work!
I had skimmed some of your reviews earlier in the thread and saw you mention it was in there, so I was keeping an eye out for it. Cool little detail.

OP
OP
Conditional-Pancakes

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
Watched the first two episodes of Midnight Mass with the SO today; absolutely fantastic as always. <3

I finished it today and I thought it was fantastic. Different in some ways, but a very logical evolution of Flanagan's work.

What really impressed me are all the absolutely jaw-dropping performances across the entire cast. Robert Longstreet, Samantha Sloyan, Kate Siegel, Alex Essoe, Zach Gilford, Hamish Linklater, Rahul Kohli... They are all so impressive.

I won't say more (for now, lol!), enjoy your time with the show!

OP
OP
Conditional-Pancakes

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
Cross-post from the Midnight Mass OT since it's really worth it.

There's an incredibly personal and touching essay written by Mike Flanagan that was published by Bloody Disgusting today. It's a fascinating read.

bloody-disgusting.com

The Deeply Personal Horror of “Midnight Mass” – Guest Essay by Filmmaker Mike Flanagan

Midnight Mass has been part of me for so long, it’s difficult to remember when exactly it started. There has probably never been a project more personal to me. Its journey to the screen was very long, I’ve changed enormously since I began working on it (as has the world in general) and as of […]

OP
OP
Conditional-Pancakes

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
And while I'm at it, let me cross-post the transcription I made of the Q&A event with Mike Flanagan and Trevor Macy that took place after the two episode screener of Midnight Mass. I don't want to lose this.

Question (moderator): I'm a big fan of horror, suspense and drama. Generally when I watch something I can pinpoint some references the creator used. But you guys have created something so unique that there are no references. You created your own language for this show. I want to ask from a fan's perspective, how did you guys work to get to that language? Did you imagine it on the page? Because it's a completely new and unique show. I'm very curious about how you developed it.

Mike Flanagan: This is a special show for me. I've been working on Midnight Mass for the better part of at least a decade. I don't even remember when it really started. Back when we were working on the script for Oculus [2013], which was Trevor and I first project together, I already had an abandoned Midnight Mass novel and the first 150 pages of a Midnight Mass script that I thought would be a movie but was way too long to be a movie. This thing has been bouncing around for a very, very long time.

I had shown it to Trevor after Oculus was shot, but before the movie was released, and for a number of years it just kind of gestated. It was always a project that I wanted to make. It was the one that was closest to my heart, it was the one that meant the most to me. And Trevor, Jeff Howard and I actually took it out as a TV pitch in 2014. It didn't work out.

Trevor Macy: Everybody laughed.

MF: Every single person. But I would bring it into other projects. I know people have been sharing screenshots of the Midnight Mass book in Hush [2016] and in Gerald's Game [2017], and that was really because I thought for a while that was the closest we'll ever get to making this.

[The rest of the answer to that question is interrupted by a stunt they wanted to make with the sudden appearance of a few members of the Midnight Mass cast.]

[After some jokes and some laughs, Flanagan begins talking about the cast.]

MF: The cast experience on Midnight Mass is by far the best experience I ever had in my career. This group of actors is exceptional. And we were all together at a very, very challenging time, we were one of the first shows in the world to go up in the pandemic. This cast had to come together under incredibly difficult circumstances while we basically had to figure out the COVID protocols in real time. And many of them were away from their families for the entire run of production. There was no way to socialize, to go out. And they looked out at the crew that were all just covered in PPE [personal protective equipment]... I've never seen a group of artists come together like this. It's the cast experience that I'll chase for the rest of my career.

Question (moderator): Trevor, what are your thoughts about bringing this cast together? And it goes with the previous question because you guys have created a language on its own, and the cast brought it to life in a way that is just seamless. The universe is seamless, it's unique, it makes sense, it's different, and it's something we've never seen before.

TM: It was a little jarring because we were ready to shoot on March 16th of last year. And on March 13th, which is a Friday, everybody was completely prepared, we've done a table read, the cast was coming together brilliantly and they all had their characters well in hand. And then the world stopped, as I'm sure you all remember. At that point Netflix pushed 'paused', like a responsible studio, on all their North American productions. And for several months – until Mike went back in July to Vancouver and most everyone else came back at the end of July or early August – we didn't know what was gonna happen.

What was extraordinary about the cast in particular is that they took that amazing bit of preparation and it somehow just deepened in that amount of time. When we got back and all took a dive into this together and nobody knew how it was gonna go or what we were doing, they all just came together in such a remarkable way. They played off each other even more than we expected, they played off each other more than we thought they would after the table read... They offered layers and dimensions to their characters that were so far beyond what's on the page. We were just thrilled with all of them.

Question (moderator): You work a lot with the same actors from past projects. Do you envision and think about them when you're writing these roles, when you're creating these characters?

MF: Absolutely! There are cast members that we say are family. And especially with those actors, when working on a new project, it's unavoidable that very early I'll start thinking, "OK, this is a great part for Kate, for Rahul, for Henry Thomas, for Carla Gugino..." This way we can actually tailor the parts for the performers.

I think the exciting thing that has happened at Intrepid [Pictures] over the years is that this company of actors keep growing. And we keep having new people come in who now become family. In the same way that I would always try to make sure we have a part for Sam [Samantha Sloyan] or for Henry [Thomas], now it's the same with Hamish Linklater, Zach [Gilford], Rahul Kohli... They're so in the family at this point. It's really a beautiful thing. So it helps enormously to be able to keep these actors in mind while you're writing.

Question (public): I know Mike has talked about his own personal experience with the Church in the past, but how did your personal opinion of the Church, whether good or bad, impact how you portray these characters.

MF: My history with the Church is a very long one. I was born into the Catholic Church, I was raised Catholic and I confirmed and the whole deal. I was in Catholic grade school, Catholic high school. I was an altar boy. I didn't really start questioning it until I was in college and really started to explore world religions. And that was a very long process for me. And I went through different phases of it. I went through phases where I was really into Buddhism for a couple of years. Very, very much. And then I was reading Sam Harris and Chris Hitchens and Carl Sagan... Riley [the character played by Zach Gilford] talks about looking for God everywhere. That was very true for me.

So to your point about the characters, a lot of my different ideas from different times in my life are kind of assigned to different characters in this story. So a lot of the conversations were very fun to write because it was like I was sitting down and having a conversation with who I was ten years ago, or five years ago. It was really impossible to separate all of that in this one.

Question (public): What is your personal favorite episode from Midnight Mass. And why?

MF: Wow, that is a tough question! I want to hear Trevor's answer to this too. It's a tie for me, honestly. It's five and seven. And I don't want to tell you why because I don't want to spoil anything, but yes, for me it's a tie between episodes five and seven for my personal favorite. There are some performances and some very thorough scene work in episode five that is among my favorites I ever got to watch on set. And the last 15 minutes of episode seven is probably my favorite thing that I've ever gotten to work on. Trevor, what are your favorites?

TM: I am also gonna go with five, because five has a particular story pivot in it that is something I'm really proud of and that I love as a viewer. And I also kind of have to give a shout-out to six because it has my favorite sequence of the show in it. Which is something I think I've seen 80 times and my jaw drops every time.

Question (moderator): I have a lot of respect for the acting craft and especially the process actors go through to get roles, especially when they are fresh faces and might not have a lot of experience. I was wondering, Hamish [Linklater] and Zach [Gilford] are new faces for your projects. I'd love to know what made them stand out for the roles of Riley and Father Paul. Because for those that don't know, actors have to go through a grueling audition process, sometimes many auditions in order to get roles. So it is a very intimate process, but also a very difficult one, and I'd love to hear your thoughts on that.

MF: I think this is two of the best examples of new actors coming into the fold with us and fitting so perfectly. With Zach Gilford, I am a Friday Night Lights fanatic. It's one of my all-time favorite shows, and I try to watch it once a year no matter what. So I'm ride or die for Matt Saracen anyway, and when we found out he was auditioning I was already very excited to see what he would do. His audition was fantastic. And Zach can play 'broken' maybe better than anyone I'd say I ever worked with. It's incredible what he did.

Hamish was a little different. I didn't know his work as well. I knew him from Legion [2017], and I really thought he was great on that show. We auditioned a lot of people for that part, and what Hamish did that nobody else did is that he understood immediately that in Father Paul's mind Father Paul isn't doing anything wrong. And that his intentions are pure. I don't want to reveal too much of how that goes...

But Hamish doesn't have to audition. He's at that place in his career where he doesn't have to audition anymore.

TM: Neither does Zach, by the way.

MF: Very true! But both of them did!

TM: Yeah, and they fought hard for the parts.

MF: When actors tape they have a reader, usually someone that works at the casting office reading with them. When Hamish auditioned, Kate [Siegel], had been at the casting office reading with Zach on a call back. Because we put Kate and Zach together for a chemistry read. So she ended up offering to read with Hamish for his audition. And his audition was that AA scene you saw in episode two, that eight-and-a-half-minute scene was his audition... And he performed it with Kate doing the Riley role. It's an awesome piece of tape. It's really cool! And he was right for it.

Moderator: And Trevor, what is your experience watching these actors audition? Do you guys always agree? Do you both watch for different things? Because I've heard it's something that could be quite common that you would look for something, and that Mike would look for something different, and that you would kind of meet in the middle.

TM: Well, we do. And we like to think that when we don't agree and work it out it tends to be a feature and not a bug. But in these cases, it's interesting because I think we sort of had an idea of what to expect from Zach, and he blew us away. But he kind of ride right along the lines that we were hoping he would. And with Hamish I think we knew what to expect less. I've been a fan of his since The New Adventures of Old Christine [2006] probably, which I thought he was great in. And Legion was amazing too. But the dimension he brought to Father Paul were something completely beyond what we were expecting. And it was a case of not quite knowing what to expect, and seeing the dimensions he brought to it was really remarkable. So there were different experiences but both of them were very much exceeding our expectations. Sometimes if you're very lucky, you see an audition and you just know it's that person. And it happened with both of these guys.

Question (public): In the second episode there's a very touching and powerful scene between Father Paul and Riley. What other shows or personal experiences are you drawing inspiration from?

MF: That scene more than anything for me comes from sitting in some AA meetings. So the biggest thing that I think is on display there is taken from a lot of discussions about AA, conversations with sponsors and things like that. But also some of the earliest kind of volleys from very early drafts of this had that discussion about why God allows suffering, and the idea that suffering could be a gift from God. And that goes back to the very, very first pages of this as a novel. I think in the script I gave Trevor after Oculus, the script went up through that scene. And it has changed over the years, but not too much.

Same person from the public: If I might add, being a Catholic I absolutely loved how you represented the Catholic Church in the first two episodes and I can't wait to see how you portray the rest of it.

MF: That means an awful lot to us. That means a lot. You know, I am no longer Catholic but I was raised in the Church like I said. My parents are still very devout and practicing Catholics. And one of my goals making the show was that they would be able to watch it and enjoy and be proud of the representation of the Church. That's something Trevor and I discussed at every possible turn that we're not making a show that was intending to attack the Catholic Church. We're making a show that was intending to ask difficult questions about all religions. I'm very grateful to hear you enjoyed that.

Question (public): First of all, I would like to say that mixing horror and deep, beautiful moments in your writing is what makes these stories very unique. You don't see that much in horror movies or series right now. I think this is what makes your stories so wonderful. How do you manage to make that work?

MF: That's a great question. And thank you! Because you just articulated our whole mission kind of as a company. One of the things Trevor and I believe very much is that the horror genre can be very easily dismissed by a lot of people. That it seems to operate sometimes with a lower standard of quality, or people think you don't have an opportunity to put the work in for character and for drama. The way we approach it – always – is by asking if these characters and the story would hold up if we remove the horror elements. Would we still be interested by these people and what happens to them? And frequently when we write, we'll shove the horror to the side and just focus on the characters, just focus on the story. And then bring it back in a way that hopefully feels like the horror is coming from the characters. It's a very difficult balance, and sometimes we're more successful at it than others, but we're always trying to find that alchemy. And figure out the right way to have enough real themes and real meaning, and enough of what the genre fans crave as well, and try to put it all together. Sometimes we'll say if we look at a scene or we look at a project, or we look at a movie and we can't figure out what it's about – kind of with a capital 'A' about – that there's something wrong with it. And we need to go back and crack it back open and try to find it. But it's a lot of trial and error, really. So I'm very grateful to hear that it resonated with you.

TM: Well, there's another thing. This is where I want to compliment my partner [Mike] more as a writer and editor, although I have a lot of positive things to say about him as a director too. He sees this stuff on the page when it's being generated has a really clear idea about how it's gonna come out when it's on-screen in part because of his background in editorial. And so more than anybody else I ever worked with, and I'd like to think it's one of the reasons we're partners, is he's got that balance you're talking about in his head at the conceptual stage. My job is to poke and prod and challenge the work to make sure it's the best it can possibly be, and we do really share a passion for that, but he really got that stuff in mind.

Question (public): I saw the scene with the seagulls circling and I was wondering if Hitchcock and The Birds [1963] was a big influence for this.

MF: Great question! I love Hitchcock's work. Love it! And The Birds has always been one of those movies that freaked me out as a kid and never could never figure out why. It's one of those things where I don't know why it's so unsettling but it is. Wanting to have that feeling of all of the birds constantly moving in the shadows, moving in that constant kind of cawing through the scene definitely comes from that. We tried to do a couple little Hitchcock winks on this show. There's another one in the dialogue Joe Collie says over the dog and that's Rear Window [1954]. [I marked a small spoiler for episode 2 just to be safe]

Those seagulls by the way are all computer generated.

TM: Yeah, no seagulls were harmed or kicked in the making of this show!

MF: [Small spoilers for the ending of episode 1] And all of the cats were stuffed animals and would float away in between takes and it was hilarious! So I'm sorry you guys had to go through the emotion of it but really, step back from the experience on-screen and it was all very goofy. So please take that as some comfort! Haha!

Question (public): Are there any Easter eggs? Do we need to rewatch the show to figure out all the Easter eggs?

MF: This show is very much designed for a very impactful second viewing.

TM: Feel free to look for hidden ghosts if you want... but there aren't any in there.

MF: No hidden ghosts!

TM: Go back to look for the Easter eggs and the new layers, but unlike The Haunting, no hidden ghosts!

Question (public): Out of all the episodes in Midnight Mass, what was in your opinion the most difficult to shoot? And why?

MF: That's an easy one!

TM: Yeah!

MF: Episode 6 was the most difficult episode to shoot. And when you see it you'll know exactly why. So episode 6 has a single sequence in it, a single scene that lasts for about 25-28 minutes. It took us a week to film it. But it's not a single take, it's kind of the opposite actually. This is the most camera set ups I ever had in a scene ever! I think it's 103 unique shots to build the scene. And it's also the most number of people I ever had in a scene... You'll know when it happens, but it was the most challenging scene that I ever, ever attempted. From a planning and an execution point of view. And the edit for it was like my Everest editing. I had all this footage when we finally got it, and I remember looking at it and I said to Trevor, "I don't even know where to start..."

TM: And when you watch it, think of what it must have been like to shoot this during COVID. I don't want to give away why that is, but think about things you shouldn't do around people during COVID... And I just want to say nobody got sick!

MF: Every single person on-screen in this scene – and you'll know when it happens – had to be tested every day before they were allowed on set. Even building one shot of this scene took forever because of the sheer number of everything that's in play in it. There is a moment where we would be rolling and it was time to remove masks, because they stayed on all the rest of the time, when you see this space and you see everybody in there... and imagine being at the peak of that first wave of COVID. It was harrowing.

TM: Usually it's not terrifying to be on set for one of our shows. But this was terrifying. And that's actually the sequence I was referring to earlier as my favorite one in the show, so it was absolutely worth it but... yeah. I hope you all like it. Don't think about this in your first viewing but if you want to watch it again, just give it a little thought and imagine what it was like.

MF: And count the angles. If you imagine having to put a camera in each of the place a camera clearly is, it reveals itself. Yeah... That rivals episode 6 of Hill House for me in complexity.

Question (public): I'm a Muslim woman and it means a lot to me when I see Muslim representation of characters simply existing in a show without some sort of political agenda. I was wondering if you could talk about this character as much as you can without spoilers, and how important it was for you to include a character like that in the show.

TM: That's one of the most important things in the show.

MF: Yes it really is. And I wish Rahul was here to be able to talk about it from his perspective too. Because I am so grateful for how he portrayed Sheriff Hassan.

We're dealing with a lot of themes of religion, of prejudice, of mob mentality. And Islamophobia is something that I think infiltrates pockets of our discourse in a way that is really unfortunate. When it comes to education about world religions, one of the things that I learned when I was first venturing away from Catholicism and really trying to learn about other religions, I was shocked by how many things I was wrong about in my preconceived ideas of Islam. And of a lot of religions frankly.

One of the things that we really wanted to do was to take a Muslim character and install them into a position of incredible importance in the story. And in the case of Hassan, in the position of representing law and order in this community. Knowing that it was only going to stir up and shine a light on some of the issues that some of the other characters within the Church and within the story would have against him. I think what Rahul would say if he was here, was that he didn't just want to do the part justice as far as the authenticity of the portrayal, he was also very excited because a sheriff in a small town is such a piece of Americana. It's such a character that is throughout film history so often played by Gary Cooper, John Wayne, Clint Eastwood... these kinds of actors. And Rahul was so excited to step into that role, was so excited to build that character who's a man of I think profound faith. And a man we could all really look up to and relate to. He's a hero in the story. And you guys have just gotten to know him. But where he goes and the struggle he has as a dad, and as a dad trying to navigate a teenage son and be a role model while also feeding that teenager's spiritual life. It's a perspective that was important to us, to put out there very specifically in a non-Christian way. To put out there very specifically for Islam in America. So I'm hoping that it's resonating, and I'm hoping that you felt good about it.

TM: The other thing about Sheriff Hassan as a character is he kind of personifies in a very unique way the empathy and kindness that the show is about. And that's partly because of his faith, and that's partly because of his qualities as a human being. And what Rahul did to embody that was really remarkable.

Question (public): Where did you get your inspiration for Midnight Mass other than your personal life?

MF: That's a tough question because if I answer it completely honestly I'll spoil something for you guys that I don't want to spoil. But I can tell you that inspiration came from really interesting ideas that popped up when I was a kid and when I was an altar boy. And then later during that time I spent trying to really look into religions kind of as a concept, and getting sober, which I think is a huge, huge part of the show for me.

Outside of that, you guys will be shocked to find out there are absolutely influence in here from my creative hero Stephen King. One that I think I can safely talk about that I heard brought up is a miniseries that he wrote called Storm of the Century [1999]. That is about a small island community and a stranger who comes to town. It's a very different story, but that setup is so Stephen King and something that I love so much. There's another book that I could mention, but I won't because it would spoil some things for you. I think as you guys keep watching it, you're probably one episode away from being able to really understand what I'm talking about. You'll know by the end of episode three.

TM: Oh yeah, if you're a King fan you'll know by the end of episode three.

Same person from the public: In your writing Mike it seems you're really using people's real life fears. I was wondering where did that come from, how do you get inspired, are there some of your fears maybe in that?

MF: Oh yes! Here's the weird thing about me and I know it's true for some other writers that I work with too, I tend to keep a pad of paper and a pencil by my bed. And it's really just there in case I have a great nightmare and if I wake up from something that really fucks me up and I want to write it down. When we work on these different shows, I'm always on the look out for very specific fears that people have. When we were working on The Haunting of Hill House, Meredith Averill who was one of our writers in the writers' room told us all one day that she had an irrational phobia of very tall people. Like people on stilts. And we thought it was so fun, that is why we all made the tall man happen on that show. It was just to mess with her. But it also worked on the audience.

And kids are a factory for this stuff! I have three kids and when you hear them cry in the night you run into the room as you want to comfort them, you want them not to be scared, but you also really want to know what the hell they dreamed about because it's probably gold! And I really want to get it into a show!

TM: I'll also say that in terms of Mike's personal fears, if you look through all the stuff – starting with Oculus – you'll see a lot of eyes, a lot of hands and a lot of fingernails.

MF: Ugh! Touching an eye freaks me out so bad! I see people putting on contacts and it makes me want to throw up. It just terrifies me. And if I see somebody's fingernail get damaged, I can't deal with that...

Last edited:

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Oculus- Really liked this movie, I loved how he adapted the short film. My favorite moment in the short was when the character was going over the history of the mirror and its victims. Was really happy to see that back in the film. Going back and forth with the timelines was really interesting. Solid movie.

Hush- Holy shit. This is my favorite movie of his so far. Was on the edge of my seat the entire movie. I dont even really want to say anything about it for people who haven't seen it. Just go watch it if you haven't already. Haven't been that enthralled in a movie in a long time. 10/10

Before I Wake- Unfortunately was not for me. I wasn't too interested or engaged throughout. Its at the bottom of my list so far of his movies. The explanation at the end was ok, but kinda felt like a reach. It almost sort of reminded me more of a guillermo del toro movie. It was also odd
How everyone just got over the death instantly. Like the husband was a really nice character and then nobody really cared that he was gone it felt like.

Next up for me is Ouija, but idk if i should watch the first one beforehand.

OP
OP
Conditional-Pancakes

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
Before I Wake- Unfortunately was not for me. I wasn't too interested or engaged throughout. Its at the bottom of my list so far of his movies. The explanation at the end was ok, but kinda felt like a reach. It almost sort of reminded me more of a guillermo del toro movie. It was also odd
How everyone just got over the death instantly. Like the husband was a really nice character and then nobody really cared that he was gone it felt like.

Yeah, I definitely get that. I think there are some very interesting elements and ideas in this movie, but ultimately I feel some of the themes were exploited a lot better in some of Flanagan's subsequent work. I think the Guillermo del Toro parallel you make is very interesting.

Next up for me is Ouija, but idk if i should watch the first one beforehand.

You can if you want, but it isn't necessary. The first one really is an aggressively average teen horror film. I personally found it very boring. And Flanagan's film is actually a prequel, so you won't miss anything by not watching the first one at all. Origin of Evil does have a "hidden" sequence at the end of the credits trying to tie the two movies together, though. So I would suggest watching Origin of Evil first, and if you're really intrigued by that sequence then watch the first one if you really feel like it. But be prepared for a very different kind of movie.

Last edited:

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Finally got a chance to watch Oculus and Gerald's Game, even though I'm not much of a horror fan lol. Really enjoy Flanagan's work I guess :)

Oculus was okay but not really my cup of tea. Felt a lot more like a conventional horror flick compared to his Netflix series. Maybe a 7/10 for me? Ending was just really depressing lol

Gerald's Game though, I said Damn! What a film. Never read the novel but I'm a huge King fan and this was unexpectedly amazing. Apparently the ending is a source of contention but I really loved it - thought it was really powerful. Would've hated it if it turned out to be a dream or something lol. Easy 9/10 for me.

Suffice to say, Flanagan is one talented dude :D