• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
Just browsed through the thread. Some of these are incredible. Even the colors and composition are really well done! Shit, man. Is mid journey the same as dalle 2 or is that a separate thing

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
Curious. Is there a price point now? Like how much does it cost to make an image once the service goes up for everyone?

Right now it's subscriptions. Here's the accounts page:

SyINr8J.png

There's also the aspect of fast vs relaxed. If you're in relaxed mode (only available on the Standard tier) it'll take longer for your image to get created. You can automatically go into that mode, but they can also put you into that mode if you're generating way too many images.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What do the free friend passes offer? Is it just a trial run with way less images than the basic tier?

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
What do the free friend passes offer? Is it just a trial run with way less images than the basic tier?

Yeah you get to generate some amount of images in the discord then if you want to continue past that limit, you need to sign up for a subscription. Once you're paying you can use the discord bot in private messages to generate images, rather than the discord (which moves a mile a minute with everyone generating stuff).

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah you get to generate some amount of images in the discord then if you want to continue past that limit, you need to sign up for a subscription. Once you're paying you can use the discord bot in private messages to generate images, rather than the discord (which moves a mile a minute with everyone generating stuff).
That's still pretty cool! Subscription would be really tempting tho.
Thank you for the info!

Dupy

Oct 31, 2017
Can you only subscribe if you're in the beta? This would be pretty neat to experiment with for some wall art and I don't mind paying for a sub.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
A guy at my studio has send some invites to managers and they were incredibly excited to the point of clesrly havibg a sentiment of "this would help us put less budget to the art team"

As the art director there i already wrote my displeased opinion about it and why this could help as a great referencing tool to create actual concept art, but not anything to moves us away and pay us less because we are less needed.

I really hope devs someday get impacted by an AI that programs games/apps/computer programs with just a simple description that any non programer cant tell an AI program from a human made code, just so they can feel the shit they are doing to creative people.
Its incredibly funny always that is art the first think this fuckers make AI to replace humans.

Also this, by clicking that twitter hashtag, you are already seeing people using this and saying they will finally be able to not pay freelance artist to make their book covers, albums, etc... so its nothing but a lost for them, and at the same time, this ai shit is actually using real art by artists to create this amalgamations and they are not getting paid so...

But hey, non artist people cheering this, for you the future is now, so great?
The thing is, casual people are seeing with midjourney how easy is to replace us in very nesr future if they continue to improve it, that AI that writes code needs to be able to get to the same level.
I want to feel as an artist i could make my own game only needing to work on the art myself, without the need of any programmer and that the game actually feels like a real indie game. Then we will be in the same level of fuck you.
I'm with you in that I feel bad about the implications of these services. The business excuse of machines taking over human tasks was always that the tasks being taken over are things that most people don't like doing anyway. Dirty, dangerous, difficult, or boring, repetitive tasks. The population at large bought into this excuse even though it was never really about that. What's the excuse now? I frankly don't know a single person doing art who does not enjoy doing it. In fact, I don't think I know an artist who would rather get paid to do nothing via UBI than to do their art and have it be useful and desirable to other people.

Anyway, I also want to point out that toolkits that allow artists to create games do in fact exist, and have existed for quite some time. Various game-maker kits have been around since 16-bit computers probably. The most recent prominent examples being Dreams and Roblox, which both let you create just about anything with next to no programming.

Last edited:

Septimus

Oct 27, 2017
Aww you should have put a hidden link. I bet some lurker got the other one. If anyone has a spare, I would love to get an invite! Thanks!

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
I went down a rabbit hole yesterday just using "macaroni mastersons marouding mischievously, massive mayhem" - yes, I misspelled two words. Still it recognised marauding, if not mastodon (really messed that up).

Anyway - collection below if you're into surreal/twisted AI art based on a cheesy pasta theme.

1cf781ea-9f61-49dc-8a9b-451e523467a4_dejay_macaroni_masterdons_marauding_mischievously_massive_mayhem.png

4925f68b-8cbe-4ff0-8491-0fa5a1882e66_dejay_macaroni_mastersons_marouding_mischievously_massive_mayhem.png

acf6d164-b486-4729-9598-30eacf4f0298_dejay_macaroni_mastersons_marouding_mischievously_massive_mayhem.png

ea7d4de4-fe69-499b-9d4c-95e511b32612_dejay_macaroni_mastersons_marouding_mischievously_massive_mayhem.png

fbbcb402-7681-4e16-b592-ef5d458b054d_dejay_macaroni_mastersons_marouding_mischievously_massive_mayhem.png

Sho Nuff

Jan 6, 2019
Kyoto, JP
I went down a rabbit hole yesterday just using "macaroni mastersons marouding mischievously, massive mayhem" - yes, I misspelled two words. Still it recognised marauding, if not mastodon (really messed that up).

Anyway - collection below if you're into surreal/twisted AI art based on a cheesy pasta theme.

1cf781ea-9f61-49dc-8a9b-451e523467a4_dejay_macaroni_masterdons_marauding_mischievously_massive_mayhem.png

4925f68b-8cbe-4ff0-8491-0fa5a1882e66_dejay_macaroni_mastersons_marouding_mischievously_massive_mayhem.png

acf6d164-b486-4729-9598-30eacf4f0298_dejay_macaroni_mastersons_marouding_mischievously_massive_mayhem.png

ea7d4de4-fe69-499b-9d4c-95e511b32612_dejay_macaroni_mastersons_marouding_mischievously_massive_mayhem.png

fbbcb402-7681-4e16-b592-ef5d458b054d_dejay_macaroni_mastersons_marouding_mischievously_massive_mayhem.png

Oh good work, I'm never sleeping again.

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017
If someone has an invite, I would love one and I'll buy the sub to share 5 more invites with the era community :)

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
Oh good work, I'm never sleeping again.

Here's to make up for it. Pasting song lyrics can have surprisingly evocative images to go with them - this one from Xanadu - a not so guilty pleasure song

"We are in Xanadu (A dream of it we offer you) A million lights are dancing and there you are A shooting star An everlasting world and you're here with me"
fa4b2109-e065-4168-a5fe-e076bdbf11a5_dejay_We_are_in_Xanadu_A_dream_of_it_we_offer_you_A_million_lights_are_dancing_and_there_you_are_A_shootin.png

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Those look way better than the stuff from the other one that was mentioned awhile ago. Thats the kind of stuff I would hang on the wall or set as my background if I could find one that I liked enough.

Definitely wouldn't pay any kind of subscription though.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Even more AI Ghibli from the favorites channel.

+Capsule Hotel
MHqdVq1.png

+Aztec Monument
EJfT8y8.png

+Workshop
k9bo4k7.png

4o22G6J.png

aM681h7.png

gHBjS2C.png

ritRLrw.png

Dragon + Train
kBoySiL.png

+ Akira Toriyama Spaceship
gYO7eYv.png

+Zelda Temple
ZXBWlBt.png

For invites, I am out, but should get more per month. Someone else I know also just got in through signing up on beta form.

These are way too awesome :)

Toma

Oct 25, 2017
I finally got my subscription running. Anyone still need an invite?

Toma

Oct 25, 2017
Also they just announced in the midjourney discord that they are preparing for open beta now.

Toma

Oct 25, 2017
I've been doing AI generations in midjourney for 4 hours non stop. I cant ... stop.

Skyzar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Put up a raffle for 2 invites for the MidJourney trial in the dalle mini thread a few mins ago if people can't get one otherwise.

Toma

Oct 25, 2017
castle over the clouds, studio ghibli style, anime --hd --ar 16:9

3b1714b5-99c3-43a6-94f2-99d8ed2d37e0_Toma_castle_over_the_clouds_studio_ghibli_style_anime.png

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
I've been doing AI generations in midjourney for 4 hours non stop. I cant ... stop.

The only thing that made me pause was there's a strict limit with trial accounts and I just jumped into it like a fool after playing around a lot with dall-e mini and basically treating midjourney the same, and not realizing that things like upscaling count towards the limit.

So I want to learn more about how to get some of these absolutely lovely images people have been posting here to come out more consistently.

Really an amazing tool.

Toma

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing that made me pause was there's a strict limit with trial accounts and I just jumped into it like a fool after playing around a lot with dall-e mini and basically treating midjourney the same, and not realizing that things like upscaling count towards the limit.

So I want to learn more about how to get some of these absolutely lovely images people have been posting here to come out more consistently.

Really an amazing tool.
There are some words that randomly give great results, but its all about the descriptors and modifiers. Still experimenting myself, but stuff like "photographed by XYZ" or "in the style of XYZ" goes a long way. My biggest issue is getting different and specific items consistently right. Like an apple and a bottle on a table that dont mix with each other.

z e r t

Oct 27, 2017
Here's to make up for it. Pasting song lyrics can have surprisingly evocative images to go with them - this one from Xanadu - a not so guilty pleasure song

"We are in Xanadu (A dream of it we offer you) A million lights are dancing and there you are A shooting star An everlasting world and you're here with me"
fa4b2109-e065-4168-a5fe-e076bdbf11a5_dejay_We_are_in_Xanadu_A_dream_of_it_we_offer_you_A_million_lights_are_dancing_and_there_you_are_A_shootin.png

Wanted to try this in Dall-e to compare the results (usually midjourney is better at artsy images) so I copy pasted the same exact phrase and I liked this result quite a bit:

dalle2022-06-2818.19.ykkbt.png

Toma

Oct 25, 2017
Also the seed and stop parameters are very interesting:

Seed allows you to recreate the same base setup and stop allows you to stop before making up too many fantastical details. Check the apple in the lower right:

realistic apple --seed 1234
897761f4-6c57-4ad0-99e5-5677d27321b8_Toma_realistic_apple.png

realistic apple --seed 1234 --stop 70
b392c91c-5537-470c-a04d-8a073145a19c_Toma_realistic_apple.png

They also upscale better:

3c2230b9-dd8d-420b-b369-4c9600fd6ccc_Toma_realistic_apple.png

0cc3eabf-e581-4228-8ebc-2e7e8a4b4fb3_Toma_realistic_apple.png