• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone mentioned the midicholirans outside of Qui-Gon Jinn?

This.

Midichlorians may be a dumb idea (I don't really care either way about them), but even George Lucas never used the idea beyond The Phantom Menace. It sounds like he realised it was a misstep.
ROTS and TCW mention them
Yoda visits a Midichlorian planet in TCW
They're mentioned in Revenge of the Sith during the Darth Plagueis speech

People need to start reading the thread beyond the OP

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
He wanted a way to show how Anakin, now retconned as Space Jesus, was powerful in a meaningful way besides just people saying "the force is strong with him." Despite the fact that people were a ok with that in the OT.

Basically, Lucas was looking for a solution to something that was never even a problem.

Yeah. I wonder if people told him this might be a bad idea and he ignored it or if no one had the spine to do so.

90% of shit Lucas tried to 'explain' or 'tie together' in the Prequels was completely unnecessary and creatively bankrupt.

A few things that got built properly in the PT are nifty, imo. It's just stuff like this that didn't need explanation because the fans were accepting the "facts" from the old movies caused more confusion than anything.

Same trap that Ridley Scott step in with, trying to explain Xenomorph origins with the latest Alien movies. Somehow hoping to expand on their ideas and thinking it´s better to know more...

The premise of the Xenomorph origins are an interesting idea to explore for me. It's just that Scott didn't really pull it off.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
Midichorian was made to explain why not everyone can use the force.

Like Donny Yen Characters from R1.
He can sense the force but he can't use it.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Should have just made it a particle. Call it the jedon. The neutron, proton, electron, and jedon all particles in their atoms. The jedon and electron being the ones the can be manipulated and leave it at that.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
Who cares?

Midichlorians existing does not make the force less mystical

Never got the complaints....takes a distinct lack of imagination and tantrum mindset to see midichlorians as 'ruining' the force or making it less mystical

Makes sense the jedi order in their arrogance tried to quantify the force too

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
How did JJ shit on the prequels?
Here he is basically saying
"This was a wonderful idea but to me it's shit so I'm not using it"

There's probably a thousand better ways to say something is not in a movie than shitting on what cane before. It was the same with TFA with him talking about not having pod racers

The fact that he added TLJ into his " they were good but they sucked so I ignored them" comments just makes confirms to me how bad he is for this franchise

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone has them. But higher count means they're force sensitive.

That's my take

I think there a misunderstanding, i know *how* it's supposed to work with the Midichlorians, given my avatar, it's a pretty safe bet i watched those movies often enough.

It's that i (and apparently many others) don't understand why Lucas needed some "biological" or "scientific" explanation of the Force, that has been described as something mystic and spiritual by the OT.

Lucasfilm seems to agree that it was not the best idea at least, seeing as they're trying to keep mentioning those things as minimal as possible. Heck, Rogue One imo goes full into a spiritual/mystic Force again with Chirrut. ^^

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Here he is basically saying
"This was a wonderful idea but to me it's shit so I'm not using it"

There's probably a thousand better ways to say something is not in a movie than shitting on what cane before. It was the same with TFA with him talking about not having pod racers

The fact that he added TLJ into his " they were good but they sucked so I ignored them" comments just makes confirms to me how bad he is for this franchise
You're seeing what you want to see there, not what's actually there.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think there a misunderstanding, i know *how* it's supposed to work with the Midichlorians, given my avatar, it's a pretty safe bet i watched those movies often enough.

It's that i (and apparently many others) don't understand why Lucas needed some "biological" or "scientific" explanation of the Force, that has been described as something mystic and spiritual by the OT.

But the OT already introduced a biological connection when it said the Skywalker family was strong in the force.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
It would be pretty easy to retcon midichlorians to be something that shows up in force sensitive beings, instead of dictating how force sensitive someone is.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is that even back before Disney took over, there was no basis for midi-cholrians being what creates the force. Even in the old canon they were merely a focus to allow living creatures to use the force, but only if they're sensitive to it in the first place.

Cause then you got stuff like Mortis, The Father, The Son, and The Daughter, who are literally beings born within the Force itself and have no connection to midi-chlorians. Since they're basically the Gods of the Force.

Though you do have the Force Priestesses that live on the Wellspring of Life, the planet where midi-chlorians come from and from what we know are immortal.
latest

latest

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. I wonder if people told him this might be a bad idea and he ignored it or if no one had the spine to do so.

A few things that got built properly in the PT are nifty, imo. It's just stuff like this that didn't need explanation because the fans were accepting the "facts" from the old movies caused more confusion than anything.

The premise of the Xenomorph origins are an interesting idea to explore for me. It's just that Scott didn't really pull it off.
He certainly didn't because he's also become obsessed with exploring AI via David. That itself is interesting but not at the expense of the explanation we got for what xenomorphs are and sideswiping them.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
But the OT already introduced a biological connection when it said the Skywalker family was strong in the force.

I don't see how that's a definitive biological connection/explanation of the Force? This statement about the Skywalker family could've always meant that they're having a higher/closer spiritual connection to it.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Why would they ever be brought up again, they served their purpose through Palpatine's Plageius story. And the Force and Midichlorians were never the same thing, they are completely separate entities.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how that's a definitive biological connection/explanation of the Force? This statement about the Skywalker family could've always meant that they're having a higher/closer spiritual connection to it.
I feel like ROTJ establishes it as a biological thing, honestly, when Luke says that even Leia is strong with the Force despite her having almost no awareness of it.

Deleted member 2625

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This.

Midichlorians may be a dumb idea (I don't really care either way about them), but even George Lucas never used the idea beyond The Phantom Menace. It sounds like he realised it was a misstep.

oooh I don't know about that

rumour is he wanted 7,8,9 to basically go subatomic, ant-man style or some shit

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

Lucasfilm seems to agree that it was not the best idea at least, seeing as they're trying to keep mentioning those things as minimal as possible. Heck, Rogue One imo goes full into a spiritual/mystic Force again with Chirrut. ^^

It was just a throwaway way to demonstrate Anakin's exceptionality, for Qui-Gon to tell he was the "Chosen One." And it makes a certain sense that the then-arrogant Jedi Order would seek to understand the Force scientifically. (It also makes sense that that methodology was lost after the Order's fall.)

Of course, there were better ways it could have been done—showing, rather than telling—and Lucas and Filoni delved more into the Cosmic Force in TCW/Rebels. But the ST hasn't really been interested in expounding on the Cosmic Force's lore as yet.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Because midichlorians are stupid. I've never met anyone who liked the idea.
I never "liked" it myself, but also never hated it as much as so many others. Kind of just shrugged my shoulders at the idea. It never changed my perception of "The Force", obvously there's something in the lore that makes up what the Force is, explaining it (which, ehh, did they really lol?) didn't change anything for me.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
It's really funny to see directors and actors deliberately avoiding and talking around their true opinions to keep their professional relationships in tact. There's almost no real point in interviewing them with these kinds of opinion questions that are intended to scrutinize less positive aspects of a film.

Deleted member 9479

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Never understood what Lucas thought by trying to "explain" the force with these Midichlorian stuff.

Yeah he basically just wanted some reason for Qui-gon to point to to illustrate why Anakin was special.

Of course all the audience needed was "I can feel the force is exceptionally strong with him." we bought that kind of thing for decades and nothing more was needed.

Why are midichlorians considered so dumb now?

Now?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Weren't midichlorian just like nanomachines that hooked you up TO the force via some kind of mystical wi-fi? More you had, stronger connection?

I mean "exceptionally strong with the force" is power level bullshit, midichlorians just gave it a biological hook.

Unless I misunderstand what they are?

Oct 27, 2017
On on hand you could say it's a bad idea, on the other, how do you explain some people just naturally being more gifted in tapping into the force? Even if it's made out to be a religion (which is the way I most enjoy thinking of it), it clearly isn't tied to the strength of devotion or belief sooo

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
I thought that was pretty much taken as fact actually. That midichlorians are drawn to force sensitive types.

The thing about them, is they need an objective measure of force potential to tell the story of Anakin. He's undeniably going to be stupidly powerful, but Yoda refuses to train him, etc. Having a hard scientific measure makes it easier to understand Qui Gon doing what he does.

I've never taken it as a scientific explanation for the force, but I've also never rewatched ANY of the prequel trilogy since they came out, so.

But I do laugh at people who think it was telling them that you have to have special blood to be a Jedi, and so they couldn't believe they were a Jedi anymore, because I'd always say, "Oh, you got your blood tested and you don't have any midichlorians? I've got loads."

I subscribe to the same reading as you.

They are not the Force, they are attracted to Force users. In this respects Midichlorians are a litmus test.

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
The only good thing about midichlorians is that they add to the Narrative that the Jedi religion was on it's way out as dictated by their own misuse of the force (assuming that was what George intentionally was trying to say...which is probably not the case lol)

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Weren't midichlorian just like nanomachines that hooked you up TO the force via some kind of mystical wi-fi? More you had, stronger connection?

I mean "exceptionally strong with the force" is power level bullshit, midichlorians just gave it a biological hook.

Unless I misunderstand what they are?
TBH the ideas were always really similar lol. It only works in SW because the Force is a mystic concept that is more metaphysical than straight up combat strength. In DBZ power levels ruined any notions of skill and technique. Also why it was so hated when it shows up in TPM with Anakin.