• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't see a thread so I thought I'd make one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Vao8d50hzw

It's three comedy specials. All long form improv. All absolutely hilarious.

Honestly, I don't know the last time I laughed so hard. I've been wanting to see them live for some time and these specials were pretty awesome to watch in the middle of a pandemic. They're both great but goddamn, Middleditch is definitely one of the funniest dudes on the planet.

And like with a lot of improv, some of the funniest stuff is when they screw up. There are multiple times when they forget their character's name or who they are playing and it is hysterical.

EDIT: Oops, title should say "has anyone watched this?" My bad!

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
The first episode is absolutely magical. Phenomenal peice of long form improv, and they effectively capture the chaotic vibe of the live show. Other two episodes are also good (the climax of the third episode in particular is incredible) - but are working slightly weaker premises.

Hope they get to do more. This sort of comedy doesn't get much of a place to shine outside live venues & podcasting, so it's exciting to see it on Netflix.

OP
OP
Moppeh

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
watched all three and they were all hilarious. its especially fun when they make so many characters they start to lose track
Nigel's reappearance in the second episode fucking rules.

The first episode is absolutely magical. Phenomenal peice of long form improv, and they effectively capture the chaotic vibe of the live show. Other two episodes are also good (the climax of the third episode in particular is incredible) - but are working slightly weaker premises.

Hope they get to do more. This sort of comedy doesn't get much of a place to shine outside live venues & podcasting, so it's exciting to see it on Netflix.

Honestly, I think the third one might be my favorite. The beginning and ending of that one are fucking incredible.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2109

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes and they are great.

Highly recommend Ben Schwartz' and Thomas Middleditch's appearances on the Comedy Bang Bang Podcast. They are great improvisors.

Singher

Apr 10, 2018
Middleditch is probably one of the funniest and weirdest people on the planet. Had the pleasure to watch this live when they came to my city and it was amazing.

CKT

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 1, 2020
Love both these guys in movies/shows, didn't know they were a comic group. Will have to watch this thanks!

DirtyManos

Oct 25, 2017
Saw 2 of them yesterday - funniest things I've seen in a while.

Really happy this made it to Netflix, missed the chance to see them live when they were in LA. Both of them are always a blast on comedy bang bang.

SneakyBadger

Oct 26, 2017
Ooh thanks for putting this on my radar. I've been dying to see footage of their improv shows ever since I heard about them.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
Thank OP! Always wanted to see their show as I love all of their appearances on CBB, so glad it's not Netflix now!

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
I hate middle ditch because I hate his Silicon Valley character

But I like comedy

Will this be funny

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Only watched the first episode but laughed my ass off throughout! They're really great together and the group in the audience was crazy

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good to see so many positive comments. Everyone in the Conan podcast thread was shitting on these guys when they were on, and I thought I was taking crazy pills cuz I thought they were hilarious.

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
Seen the first two. One of the funniest things I've ever seen on tv. I had to take a break from the third because of how much I laughed

Hark

Oct 29, 2017
This is genuinely masterclass improv. Such an incredible series, shame there are only three episodes - though it seems like another season is possible considering they called this one 'season 1'.
I can see this going down as one of the modern greats.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Just finishing the first episode now and its great, its like one super-long whose line sketch.

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People sleep on Middleditch due to his kinda bland Silicon Valley role but like others have said, he is fucking insane when he gets to let loose on shows like Comedy Bang Bang.

There's some Silicon Valley promos on CBB and the rest of the cast just goes as themselves but he just goes berserk and weird (and sometimes offputting).

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Didn't see a thread so I thought I'd make one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Vao8d50hzw

It's three comedy specials. All long form improv. All absolutely hilarious.

Honestly, I don't know the last time I laughed so hard. I've been wanting to see them live for some time and these specials were pretty awesome to watch in the middle of a pandemic. They're both great but goddamn, Middleditch is definitely one of the funniest dudes on the planet.

And like with a lot of improv, some of the funniest stuff is when they screw up. There are multiple times when they forget their character's name or who they are playing and it is hysterical.

EDIT: Oops, title should say "has anyone watched this?" My bad!

Oh shit! I saw that they were touring this but didn't know it came to Netflix. Is this US only? Dying to see this!

HommePomme

Oct 30, 2017
Caught ep 1 and it was brilliant. Really surprised the format translates so well but the filming and editing is exceptional. Kinda cooled on these guys after so many years on CBB but damn this was so fun

partyhat

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Watched the first episode tonight. Hilarious stuff.

Richard Hendricks and Jean Ralphio.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
We were lucky to see this show live in Denver right before the state went on stay at home orders. It was so amazing live, and I'm glad we have these three episodes to revisit. They are so good at improv. One thing that makes them so good is they are so animated while improvising that you can envision the scene in your head.

People sleep on Middleditch due to his kinda bland Silicon Valley role but like others have said, he is fucking insane when he gets to let loose on shows like Comedy Bang Bang.

There's some Silicon Valley promos on CBB and the rest of the cast just goes as themselves but he just goes berserk and weird (and sometimes offputting).
I remember the first time listening to him play Joey Tortellini and I was crying I was laughing so hard.

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't watched these specials yet but this thread seems like a good place to post my recent favorite Ben Schwartz scene.

m.youtube.com

Quistion Gale Negotiates with Briefcase featuring Ben Schwartz, Ryan Gaul & Drew Tarver

This Bajillion Dollar Propertie$ scene with America's sweethearts Ryan Gaul and Drew Tarver was completely improvised and includes some of the best briefcase...

Omg yes I loved this scene, it was so good! His character as a whole had me dying laughing. So glad I watched this show finally!

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't watched the special yet, but I did see them live with my wife last year in Minneapolis. I wasn't particularly excited about going since their brand of humor wasn't my jam. I had a great time though and they are excellent entertainers and talented improvisers.

Jerrod

Dec 24, 2017
Didn't know about this but started watching and I'm really enjoying it, thanks OP.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
This has led me down a wonderful rabbit hole, thanks OP, will watch the specials tonight.

Ben was on Pete Holmes podcast a couple of weeks back, it was interesting to hear about his process and how many things he's working on at any given point. Seems like he hustles.

sven

Oct 31, 2017
I watched the first one. It was okay. I just think improv just works better in podcast form.

talkingood

Oct 27, 2017
I'll have to check this out, I had never heard of them before I caught them on Conan's podcast, and I laughed so hard I cried.

arkon

Nov 6, 2017
Not familiar with these guys but took a chance on this tonight and I'm glad I did. I thought the first show with the wedding was decent but the second show with the law school is on another level. I got to the point where I was laughing uncontrollably near the end of it. Sheer genius. Saving the final show for tomorrow.

Can't recommend it enough.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Improv is such a funny thing

stand-up: "i spent the last year sharpening 45 minutes of material into a clockwork-tight set"

improv: "im just gonna pull some shit out of my ass for an hour"

anyway, love these guys, great first ep, about to watch #2

Oct 25, 2017
Saw it a few days ago and it was really similar to Whose Line Is it Anyway but for comedy duo only. Fantastic episodes, btw.

b33r

Oct 25, 2017
Just watched these and loved them. Is there going to be more down the line?

arkon

Nov 6, 2017
Finished the 3rd show. Can confirm it was very good. Think the 2nd is still my favourite but it's close between the two. I really hope they do more. I can't imagine it costs much for Netflix to produce. and gives their lineup something different. Here's hoping the numbers are good.