• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Their suppose has been fine. The problem is they keep their software locked to the window store, which i refuse to support. I had bad experience with it and its just not worth the hassle. Microsoft is better off selling their software on other digital store.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
Can Mike Ybarra get a team together to directly work on fixing a bunch of issues like they do with Xbox? It seems like they're constantly improving and updating the Xbox OS, meanwhile the PC side gets nothing.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Im not a huge fan of their store, or their optimization on PC, but Ive had no big issues with their games.

Gears of War 4
Recore
Quantum Break
Phantom Dust
Forza Horizon 3
Voodoo Vince HD
Resident Evil 7
Killer Instinct
Halo Wars 2

These are all games I have on their store, and outside of a few hiccups, they have ran great for me.

Yes I like Steam more (windows store is bad), but from a game library perspective, I think Microsoft has done a great job.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
It's great we're getting Xbox One games.

But I hate the Microsoft Store. When I open it I feel like it's a mobile app. On the main page I see mobile games. The settings are so simple it's silly. It's definitely not designed with PC first in mind. That's why it makes me feel like something that Microsoft really is not commited to. Sorry, but if you say you care about PC gaming and you have a Store like that... I just don't believe you.

You just want to have more sales. And that's fine. Just don't say you're passionate about PC gaming.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Not always. GFWL did more damage than good for pc gaming, and the results of Microsofts efforts to turn pc gaming into Xbox gaming using UWP and the Windows Store may be even worse.

That depends on what you consider 3rd party. Microsoft is hiring 3rd party devs like Relic, Creative Assembly, Moon studios and Armature to develop Windows Store exclusive games. While Microsoft owns the IP's, the studio's are still independent. And while they are working on games for Microsoft, they aren't working on games for other ecosystems. I would rather have Relic develop a new CoH for example.

Microsoft is more likely to ditch their own PC gaming efforts than to invest much more into it. Just my own thoughts though. Just doesn't seem like a big money maker. Tons of issues.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Microsoft is more likely to ditch their own PC gaming efforts than to invest much more into it. Just my own thoughts though. Just doesn't seem like a big money maker. Tons of issues.

Microsoft seems to think that pc gamers will accept these issues anyway if they provide enough exclusive games and services:

Satya Nadella confirmed that Microsoft will continue to focus on the gaming business across the Windows PCs, Consoles and Mobile. Microsoft will plan to "grow and engage the over 53 million Xbox Live members more deeply and frequently" with new gaming services and features.

https://www.windowslatest.com/2017/11/30/satya-nadella-xbox-one-x-seeing-incredible-response/

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
I get a crash (well, an infinite loop) when uncovering a certain barn car in FH3. No way to fix it afaik. Also sometimes the game refuses to boot for no reason, I have to restart my computer and try again until it works.

The game is superb but the entire ecosystem is pure trash. I won't buy anything from it unless heavily discounted.

dudu0609

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I cannot agree with OP.
Microsoft is bringing their Xbox exclusive games to PC [Windows 10] and adding Game Mode into the OS.
They are bringing back Age of Empire 1-3 and working on the AoE 4.
Comparing to the past, Microsoft is doing much more to support games on Windows platform.

Yes, there are issues here and there. But calling it "pathetic" is too much.

For me, MS needs to immediately address all the downloading issue in the Windows store [now called Microsoft Store].
The store was designed for small size apps. To download games with mega gigabyte always bring troubles to gamers and this brings bad impression.
Fixing store issue must be the 1st priority for MS.

itchi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My only experience is with Forza 7 and I think its been great. Runs at 60fps even on my old 2500k would never have got to play Forza again without play anywhere so I'm not complaining.

HMS_Pinafore

Oct 25, 2017
Straya M8
I want to be excited for Age of Empires 4, but I have no faith that it won't get screwed somehow.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I've been using Linux mainly for years now and in contrast win10 looks like a real fuckshop.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What does that matter to the gaming market though? Microsoft doesnt see a single cent for 99% of the games sold on Steam. So it's hardly their platform.
It's not about the money, per se. Thinking about these things in terms of singular revenue streams is kinda missing the point. Microsoft's primary revenue streams are Office and their various cloud computing/server platforms. Office is also a cloud service. Windows is also software as a service now. The more people who stay locked into various aspects of the Windows ecosystem, the more money they make.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
One of my favorite bugs with the Windows Store is when my games won't launch, and I have to fix it by starting a download, then canceling it. Suddenly my games will open again.

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
It's ironic that Microsoft of all companies is having a hard time getting things right on PC. The fall creator update is kind of unrelated but as you've stated it added a lot of problems rather than solutions.

The biggest problem I have is the way they have the store on PC set up. It's horribly slow and hard to navigate. Not to mention the seemingly terrible download speeds. I don't know why they have such a hard time when it's the only client like that I've used with such big problems.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
It's not about the money, per se. Thinking about these things in terms of singular revenue streams is kinda missing the point. Microsoft's primary revenue streams are Office and their various cloud computing/server platforms. Office is also a cloud service. Windows is also software as a service now. The more people who stay locked into various aspects of the Windows ecosystem, the more money they make.
That may be true but these things have no direct connection. I'm not just going to start dropping money on Office just because i have Windows on my PC. Either i need it or i don't.

And what i think Microsoft actually wants is their own ecosystem like Steam/AppStore/Google Play, where they not only sell their own but also third party stuff. But this simply isn't happening with the Windows Store if ever.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
Not always. GFWL did more damage than good for pc gaming, and the results of Microsofts efforts to turn pc gaming into Xbox gaming using UWP and the Windows Store may be even worse.

That's such an exaggeration lol

How did it damage PC gaming? It at least brought some of the features of consoles to PC, like achievements or better controller support (although not in every game, so too lenient kinda).
While you people were apparantly bitching about it, I was happily playing games like Resident Evil 5, Gears of War, Fallout 3 on PC like nothing happened.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Its a boon for Android and iOS. The mobile operating systems have to compete and get better.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That may be true but these things have no direct connection. I'm not just going to start dropping money on Office just because i have Windows on my PC. Either i need it or i don't.
It actually doesn't matter whether you have Windows or not. If your boss sends you a Microsoft document and you don't want it mangled, you're gonna need some version of Office. Even Mac users can't escape this reality. Microsoft have been quite good at ensuring that no matter how good your not-Microsoft-Office is, it'll never be truly satisfactory in terms of preserving document layouts. This helps keep businesses and schools and anyone involved in either business or schools reliant on Office. It's quite cynical and very effective.

And what i think Microsoft actually wants is their own ecosystem like Steam/AppStore/Google Play, where they not only sell their own but also third party stuff. But this simply isn't happening with the Windows Store if ever.
Of course they'd like that. But they're making money hand over fist regardless. And if the useful Win32 parasite that is Steam keeps people using Windows, all the better for them.

The relationship between Windows and Steam is extremely one sided. Windows can survive without Steam. Steam cannot survive without Windows.

Last edited:

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft sent me $10 to spend in their store, so I used some Bing points to buy Recore. To my surprise it worked.

Prior to that I had downloading issues with Gears of War 4 and Forza Horizon 3. Generally it's not even worth the hassle.

I considered picking up KI on Steam when it was on sale so I don't have to deal with the Windows Store.

Waaghals

Oct 27, 2017
What I experienced is that if you want MS games to work on PC you need to stay away from all windows preview programs.

They frequently break compatibility with MS' own games.

If you have have Forza Horizon 3 and experience crashes while loading, well this might very well be the reason.

rhn94

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It actually doesn't matter whether you have Windows or not. If your boss sends you a Microsoft document and you don't want it mangled, you're gonna need some version of Office. Even Mac users can't escape this reality. Microsoft have been quite good at ensuring that no matter how good your not-Microsoft-Office is, it'll never be truly satisfactory in terms of preserving document layouts. This helps keep businesses and schools and anyone involved in either business or schools reliant on Office. It's quite cynical and very effective.

Of course they'd like that. But they're making money hand over fist regardless. And if the useful Win32 parasite that is Steam keeps people using Windows, all the better for them.

The relationship between Windows and Steam is extremely one sided. Windows can survive without Steam. Steam cannot survive without Windows.

because office is leagues better than any open-office/libre .. it just is objectively in terms of features, productivity, and their 360 cloud service which they offer free to university and colleges along with other software for students; and they cater to businesses by making these services, their biggest market... you think ordinary joe need excel? or ms access? or even powerpoint and word for their everyday lives?

people seriously underestimate excel and ms access and how there are very few to no good competitors for that software

rhn94

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's such an exaggeration lol

How did it damage PC gaming? It at least brought some of the features of consoles to PC, like achievements or better controller support (although not in every game, so too lenient kinda).
While you people were apparantly bitching about it, I was happily playing games like Resident Evil 5, Gears of War, Fallout 3 on PC like nothing happened.

hyperbole & extreme exaggeration based on non-knowledge is very common with young video gaming culture

Doffen

Oct 28, 2017
That depends on what you consider 3rd party. Microsoft is hiring 3rd party devs like Relic, Creative Assembly, Moon studios and Armature to develop Windows Store exclusive games. While Microsoft owns the IP's, the studio's are still independent. And while they are working on games for Microsoft, they aren't working on games for other ecosystems. I would rather have Relic develop a new CoH for example.

3rd party is usually a reference to 3rd party publishers, since it sounds quite natural that Microsoft, as a publisher, would release their products on their storefront.
By the way Creative Assembly and Relic are subsidiaries, not independent.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Im not a huge fan of their store, or their optimization on PC, but Ive had no big issues with their games.

Gears of War 4
Recore
Quantum Break
Phantom Dust
Forza Horizon 3
Voodoo Vince HD
Resident Evil 7
Killer Instinct
Halo Wars 2

These are all games I have on their store, and outside of a few hiccups, they have ran great for me.

Yes I like Steam more (windows store is bad), but from a game library perspective, I think Microsoft has done a great job.
For me, 99% of my issues with their games on PC have been related to downloading and installing from their Windows Store. Once I've gotten them running, they run great. Though something broke Killer Instinct on my machine a few months ago.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
How did it damage PC gaming?

Here's some good reading for you:

https://www.howtogeek.com/244902/why-pc-gamers-hated-microsofts-games-for-windows-live/

Tldr:

- Lots of people being unable to play games using GFWL because of technical problems
- Many people (myself including) lost their save files because of save corruption bug
- Multiplayer focused games failed to build a decent online community because Microsoft charged for online p2p gaming
- Broken features (like the voice codec in Shadowrun) that were never fixed
- Games with GFWL could only be played in certain regions
- Last but not least: GFWL has been shut down, leaving dozens of games unplayable and forcing devs to remake them using Steamworks

All of this considered, I don't think that my statement "GFWL did more damage than good for pc gaming" is an exaggeration.

There's no indication that 3rd party games like RE5 and Fallout 3 wouldn't have got a pc version if GFWL didn't exist.

hyperbole & extreme exaggeration based on non-knowledge is very common with young video gaming culture

Pretty sure I'm one of the older guys on this forum ;)

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
I've had some bizarre issues with the Microsoft Store, namely with the 'Weather' app which disappeared and came back two weeks later. Despite that, all the apps I use are pretty good otherwise. Mail, calendar, photos, and etcetera all have improved a tonne since Windows 10 launched in an awful, buggy state.

The three games I own on the store (Cuphead, Rise of Nations, and Halo Wars) I have no issues running and installing. However, I do agree the Store sucks, and has been improving at the pace of molasses.
Which is bizarre, since none of the previous storefronts were this bad, but the Microsoft Store has somehow been slow to navigate on both Windows 10 and even moreso on Xbox One.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
For me, 99% of my issues with their games on PC have been related to downloading and installing from their Windows Store. Once I've gotten them running, they run great. Though something broke Killer Instinct on my machine a few months ago.
Pretty much the same for me. The download and install takes forever it seems. Though i do have optimization problems as well. My computer should be able to handle Forza Horizon 3 on max, but it gives me issues if i try to do that, and eventually will crash. Game looks amazing on PC though, even if not on max.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Windows 10 is fucking mess. Especially games.

UWP seems like made for mobile/table apps and Microsoft wanted to bolt games on for stupid reasons.

- Creators update (1703/1709) broke audio drivers. GG. 9 months and still not fixed.

I would've not even upgraded from 1607 whatever, but I bought Shadow of War Win 10 version thinking it can't be that bad. But it somehow is and even worse.

Someone gave me free month of Xbox Game Pass so I have had to checkout all Win 10 games included. There's total of 3 games for 10€ a month.
Because it's time limited , might as well check those first.

Recore

1. Often crash when alt-tab if in full screen
2. Often reset if alt-tab from Windowed mode. Less often crashes. But reset it pretty much same thing as crash, so it's just semantics.
3. Pauses if you alt-tab from full screen. This includes any loading. Maybe I'm only one that tabs out to do something else while game loads?
4. So I have to switch to windowed mode to wait while game loads. Doable, just minor inconvenience. (but see 2 and 5)
5. Switching to windowed mode with alt-enter might reset settings rendering resolution to 1024x576
6. Exit Game in options? something less logical than shutdown in start menu :P
7. Frame skipping. Game randomly skips frames (stutters), however movement happens and I have multiple times ended up rotating like 360 degrees and ended up going to another direction WTF.

Gears of Wars 4

1. Often crashes on launch
2. Crashes randomly, not often though.
3. Game randomly freezes on cutscenes. Have to manually exit and restart from latest save and hope next time it doesn't.
4. Weird mouse control
5. Very inconsistent frame rates (28fps - 60fps, usually in high 45-60 fps)

Halo Wars Definite Edition

1. I didn't have any crashing issues yet. Probably matter of time, though.

And to non game pass games:

Forza Horizon 3

1. Has stuttering. Didn't play much tho.

Shadow of War

Gives me option to install 4K movies pack to another drive.
'This is cool and something even Steam doesn't have'
And movies don't really need to be on SSD anyways, so of course I chose to install internal HDD.
This ends up with error "This can't be installed to SD card". The fuck? It's hard drive.
Maybe because that HDD is hot swap enabled, so let's choose another HDD that is not.
Aaand same error.
So you get option, but unless you chose that one correct it doesn't work GG.

2. At least it failed before download, so it didn't download same thing three times.

3. Game plays pretty well enough. Some rare crashes tho.

Deus Ex Go*

1. Works perfectly without issues

Lara Croft Go*

Hitman Go*

2. Has paid hints system, Steam version instead features achievement for not using hints.

* Tested in 1607

So non-Microsoft and mobile games works the best. Some how I'm not surprised.

Well, not replacing, but actual competition appearing would be great. And Vulkan needs a bigger push so that we won't get locked to DX forever.

This please.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
As an OS it is very stable, and their biggest hiccups has been older PC's, laptops that have issues with UEFI Bios.

I'm the IT Admin at our station and we run Windows 7 Pro, Windows 10 Pro, Windows Server 2012 R2, and Windows Server 2008 R2. Windows 2012 is similar Kernal to Windows 8-Windows 10 and runs great. I hear Windows Server 2016 is even leaner.

As an OS Windows 10 is actually one of the most versatile and leanest of any 64 bit OS they have put out. It also has more recovery features built in that anyone can use to help mitigate issues rather than having to rely on Third party companies like Dell, HP, Acer for recovery options/media.
You can literally create any install media from a 20mb download with Media Creation tool regardless of what version your running. You can't do that with 7, or 8, 8.1.
I guess for people who have issues with Windows 10 and some of it's weird services that sometimes you have to modify it can be irritating or sometimes unusable for their work.
But compared to how they have treated OS's in the past it's one of the most compatible. I put it recently on a Vista laptop that was from 2007-2008 and old as shit. It now runs like a top because it's lighter in how it utilized resources.

The biggest issue is with what others have said and what this thread is about. The UWP APPS, Windows store is complete shit. Games are a chore to install, and the interface is pretty much shit as well to use them.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
Here's some good reading for you:

https://www.howtogeek.com/244902/why-pc-gamers-hated-microsofts-games-for-windows-live/

Tldr:

- Lots of people being unable to play games using GFWL because of technical problems
- Many people (myself including) lost their save files because of save corruption bug
- Multiplayer focused games failed to build a decent online community because Microsoft charged for online p2p gaming
- Broken features (like the voice codec in Shadowrun) that were never fixed
- Games with GFWL could only be played in certain regions
- Last but not least: GFWL has been shut down, leaving dozens of games unplayable and forcing devs to remake them using Steamworks

All of this considered, I don't think that my statement "GFWL did more damage than good for pc gaming" is an exaggeration.

Oh, I know why people hate it. You don't have give me a list of things people hate about GfWL. But if technical problems "damage PC gaming" then I don't know what to say lol it's not a guarantee you will even encounter any.
The only thing I would perceive as damaging is locking out certain countries, but I bet there were ways around that.

You apparantly didn't even read it yourself, because they stopped charging for it as early as 2008 and it also was never shut down.

There's no indication that 3rd party games like RE5 and Fallout 3 wouldn't have got a pc version if GFWL didn't exist.

I never said that. I said I could enjoy those games despite the seemingly oh-so atrocious GfWL. Again and again and again and again, no matter what I bought.

OP
OP

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a very non empathetic way of seeing things. A lot of people did have lots of problems with GfWL. Those problems are very well documented. It's not bitching. Come on.
Yup. Personally, I never had any GFWL problems, but I saw enough people that did to make me dislike it.

In many ways, MS's Windows 10 gaming push is better, but it's still a shitshow in so many ways.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
But if technical problems "damage PC gaming" then I don't know what to say lol it's not a guarantee you will even encounter any.

Oh come on, the technical problems with GFWL were huge compared to Steam. I was an editor for a games magazine at that time, and it took 2K days before they could provide me with a solution to get my review copy of GTA4 working because of GFWL issues.

English is not my native language, so I'm not sure I've used the right words to express my opinion. But for me and many other people, GFWL had more disadvantages than advantages.

You apparantly didn't even read it yourself, because they stopped charging for it as early as 2008 and it also was never shut down.

Microsoft stopped charging for it because pc gamers refused to pay for p2p gaming. But you're right, they didn't shut it down. They just stopped updating it and left it to die.

Last edited:

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
In many ways, MS's Windows 10 gaming push is better, but it's still a shitshow in so many ways.

For pc gamers without an Xbox, Microsofts latest efforts to merge pc-gaming with Xbox gaming are even worse than GFWL imo. The past two years, there were a ridiculous amount of technical issues with uwp games and the Windows Store. Also, GFWL didn't prevent modding or using community tools to improve the games, and it also didn't lead to a €70 pricetag and lousy discounts for AAA games.

Last edited:

Startropper

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft seems to think that pc gamers will accept these issues anyway if they provide enough exclusive games and services:

Satya Nadella confirmed that Microsoft will continue to focus on the gaming business across the Windows PCs, Consoles and Mobile. Microsoft will plan to "grow and engage the over 53 million Xbox Live members more deeply and frequently" with new gaming services and features.

https://www.windowslatest.com/2017/11/30/satya-nadella-xbox-one-x-seeing-incredible-response/

I wish we knew the sales of those games.

But curiously Satya doesn't mention windows store specifically.

Phil Spencer has stated that in 3 years they will be releasing a games streaming service, is that going to be tied to the windows store? I have to think that maybe they're creating another separate service.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
I wish we knew the sales of those games.

But curiously Satya doesn't mention windows store specifically.

Phil Spencer has stated that in 3 years they will be releasing a games streaming service, is that going to be tied to the windows store? I have to think that maybe they're creating another separate service.

Windows 10 gaming = UWP + Windows Store + Xbox Live for Microsoft.

I have no idea how they are planning their streaming service. It may possibly be a console-like experience using Xbox Live, aimed at casual gamers and tablets as well.

As long as this streaming service wouldn't affect 3rd party games to release on Steam and/or other ecosystems on pc, I think it would be a good addition to classic pc gaming.

Last edited:

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think its great they are bringing all their first party stuff over.

But the Windows Store / UWP is a noose around their neck. Its a bad platform with massive technical and usability issues and it simply offers NOTHING over a standard win32 based game like everything else on the market outside of some Xbox integration.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
That's a very non empathetic way of seeing things. A lot of people did have lots of problems with GfWL. Those problems are very well documented. It's not bitching. Come on.

My experience with it is just so different to the general narrative that I can't really relate to any of it. I also had a few minor problems, but I could easily fix them (some of them rather stupid, like the client being unable to deal with one of the special characters in my password lol).

For pc gamers without an Xbox, Microsofts latest efforts to merge pc-gaming with Xbox gaming are even worse than GFWL imo. The past two years, there were a ridiculous amount of technical issues with uwp games and the Windows Store. Also, GFWL didn't prevent modding or using community tools to improve the games, and it also didn't lead to a €70 pricetag and lousy discounts for AAA games.

Tbf you can fuck them over easily by just buying from another region like Russia. I wouldn't even be buying any fullprice games on there if I was stuck with Euro prices. It's great that you can stock multiple currencies on your account.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
What I don't get is when someone says I have a great PC right and everyone chimes in saying there's zero reason to buy an Xbox. Then I see threads like these?

So I guess Xbox X is the way to over PC?

Yes if you like Microsoft games. Outside of that not at all and you can use windows 7/8 for virtually every game if you want to avoid windows 10.

5-10 years will be interesting to see what the main OS is. If windows 10 gets worse and MS keep massaging it every month to get more money out then it might be time for a gaming OS with solid HDR support. Gamers are getting caught in Microsoft's chase for business and mainstream non gaming customers.

I'd have no problem using Linux or Apple OS to browse, edit videos etc and game on something like a Valve OS.

Last edited:

Kevlar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
More than pathetic, Microsoft is about to become a straight up menace to PC gaming if they have it their way. UWP is very scary to me, as it basically removes all the user control and fun out of PC gaming that I loved. I like Rivatuner, I like graphics injectors like ReShade and SweetFX, I even like Cheat Engine for single-player games when I'm bored!

And yes, while I still had my gaming PC Microsoft was constantly breaking one thing or another with the forced updates. Sometimes even forced driver updates like what the actual fuck. I don't always want to be on the latest Nvidia drivers because for a while, the new releases kept introducing screen-tearing in Steam/Firefox or glitches in other games I was playing. They honestly need to let you select your updates based on user level, like if you detect that I have a dedicated and expensive GPU I'm obviously a power user, stop trying to baby me you annoying shitlords.

/rant. A big reason why I gave up on PC gaming tbh. Just couldn't stand W10 anymore, and beyond this, the future looks quite bleak imo if MSoft continues to push UWP.
While I agree with the concept of UWP being scary, that ship seems to have sailed. Pretty much nobody outside of MS is interested in DX12, and the potential of Vulkan has been proven. They may want to push UWP, but no one's biting, and without DX12 there's no reason for a developer to go UWP and lock themselves into MS's walled garden.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
The best thing Microsoft can do for Windows gaming is to stay away from it. Their past and present efforts have been terrible, and their views on the open-platform are undermining it.

Status
Not open for further replies.