• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 35509

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
If there is a general Microsoft Office or software thread, I'll throw this in there and apologize for putting this here but I couldn't find anything when I searched. I searched Google for the answer as well but nothing, mostly because I don't know what the method would be called. I'll explain in detail.

So, my boss gave me an assignment today, didn't think it would take long or be a big deal. Due tomorrow. Basically, because everyone is remote now, they need certain documents at home with them. Each person in the office needs 10 copies of 3 documents. She wants them thrown on Google Drive under their names. No problem.

So, here's the thing though. For each person, I wondered, okay, I only need to put one copy of the file to their name on the g drive. Wrong. Each copy needs to be numbered. Not only the file name but also in the file itself. So the first 10 copies for the first person would be numbered 100-109. Each document header when opened needs to have the corresponding number. So they open file named "100", the header says 100. They use the next one, 101 and when opened, header says 101. So on and so forth...

So 10 copies of 3 kinds of word documents for 74 people. I think maybe I'd just open each one, write the number in their and "save as"as the corresponding number. I've done 10 so far.

I know there's a shortcut for this, there has to be. I think I've actually seen it. You open the word doc and it creates whatever number of copies you need and each one is numbered separately in the doc.

I'd do a tl;dr but it wouldn't make sense. I'll answer any questions, thanks.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
You format the list in document two to begin at the the ending number from document one. Right click the list numbering.

OP
OP

Deleted member 35509

Banned
Dec 6, 2017

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can the document names be the number ID? I.e. you have a document named 100.docx, 101.docx, 102.docx, and so forth, where the number corresponds to the value you need in the header? Because there is a scripting command to call the file name in the header in microsoft word, if that's a possibility.

OP
OP

Deleted member 35509

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Can the document names be the number ID? I.e. you have a document named 100.docx, 101.docx, 102.docx, and so forth, where the number corresponds to the value you need in the header? Because there is a scripting command to call the file name in the header in microsoft word, if that's a possibility.

This would be fine too. And preferable as I wouldn't have to manually name the file either.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
It doesn't, you do it manually. It will be the last thing you do so you don't wast time trying to figure out the numbering while you could be working on the document

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This would be fine too. And preferable as I wouldn't have to manually name the file either.

in the "insert header tab" there is a place where you can select field, and one of the selections is filename. That should add the file name to each header, so if the file is 100.docx then you'll have 100.docx in the header. I think you can also check an option to hide extension if you need to, I haven't done it in a long time though.

OP
OP

Deleted member 35509

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
To be clear, each document only has ONE number. So the first document for the person is 100. It's 5 pages, those 5 pages are document 100. Then their next document is 101, with the header on each page being 101. I know there is a way to do this in bunches.

turtle553

Oct 25, 2017
To be clear, each document only has ONE number. So the first document for the person is 100. It's 5 pages, those 5 pages are document 100. Then their next document is 101, with the header on each page being 101. I know there is a way to do this in bunches.

Might be able to link to an excel file with names and file numbers imported into a template document field that is used in the file name

Changing the Default File Name (Microsoft Word)

When you first save a new file, Word bases the name of that file on the contents of the start of the first paragraph in your document. If you'd like a different default name for a file, you just need to make a simple change in the template on which the file is based. (Tips.Net)

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
If you have any comfort with vba it wouldn't be particularly complicated to write a macro to do this, although I think if you were into vba you'd know that already.