• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
And you do realize that xcloud has been spotty on iOS right? iPhone is an iOS device.

As someone who uses xcloud on an iphone, no, i don't realize that
You don't want to do a whole lot of options offered to you while still screaming they're taking the games away from you. Maybe the problem is your own preferences.

Dec 11, 2017
my phone is an iPhone 13 mini and I have a shitty Vizio tv and won't get to upgrade until after the pandemic ends. Yes the pandemic is still real and it still exists for us in America.

So, tell me again how can I sub without resorting to blowing $400 on a console?

I play xCloud on a 12 mini and it's great. You could also buy a large Android phone for less than $100 if you were going to spin screen size as an issue.

You can also buy a used Xbox One and stream more demanding games on it. Most indies will play fine on it.

Oh also there's a rumoured streaming stick coming for folks who don't have smart TV apps.

Do you have a computer? You can stream in the browser.

I have a PS5 as well so I'm not having a go, but you'd have zero chance playing Sony first party games anywhere other than on their consoles. Whether you're happy about this or not, the options are there for you from Xbox.

deafsnake

Attempting to use an alt to circumvent a ban
Sep 14, 2018
Syracuse, NY
I mean, if you wanna play MS owned games then you have to buy an Xbox or play them on PC. That's how it works. Should people complain that they won't be able to play future Insomniac or Naught Dog games without blowing hundreds of dollars on a ps5? At least MS' ecosystem gives you choice of where you can play your games, instead of forcing you to be locked down to 1 device (Or eventually drip fed older games on PC).

and you're telling me when there's a chip shortage where I can't afford a powerful gpu that can process intense Xbox series X tier graphics? My current desktop has a 4gb gpu and only 8gb of ram to put that in perspective.

deafsnake

Sep 14, 2018
Syracuse, NY
User Banned (5 days): Antagonising other members
As someone who uses xcloud on an iphone, no, i don't realize that
You don't want to do a whole lot of options offered to you while still screaming they're taking the games away from you. Maybe the problem is your own preferences.
Or the problem is you trying to be a fanboy.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
my phone is an iPhone 13 mini and I have a shitty Vizio tv and won't get to upgrade until after the pandemic ends. Yes the pandemic is still real and it still exists for us in America.

So, tell me again how can I sub without resorting to blowing $400 on a console?

Then you don't get to play all of the video games. What do you want people to tell you?

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Have they actually confirmed the deal is closing next year as in June 2023. I thought all they have said is that it will close by then.

Seems everyone is acting like it closes then exactly.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
I feel like we've done this cycle of "microsoft doesn't have games i care about" and "why do i have to buy a xbox to play games i care about" already when Bethesda was purchased.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
and you're telling me when there's a chip shortage where I can't afford a powerful gpu that can process intense Xbox series X tier graphics? My current desktop has a 4gb gpu and only 8gb of ram to put that in perspective.

OK well then I guess you wont be playing any of MS' first party games until you get an Xbox or a better PC (or a way to stream). I don't know what else you want us to tell you. That's the reality of the situation, and you've made it perfectly clear you're not happy with it. We get it. But there's nothing you can do, so it's just coming off as petty at this point.

deafsnake

Sep 14, 2018
Syracuse, NY
I play xCloud on a 12 mini and it's great. You could also buy a large Android phone for less than $100 if you were going to spin screen size as an issue.

You can also buy a used Xbox One and stream more demanding games on it. Most indies will play fine on it.

Oh also there's a rumoured streaming stick coming for folks who don't have smart TV apps.

Do you have a computer? You can stream in the browser.

I have a PS5 as well so I'm not having a go, but you'd have zero chance playing Sony first party games anywhere other than on their consoles. Whether you're happy about this or not, the options are there for you from Xbox.

and see above about my specs. You think my desktop can handle a browser that will eat up most of the ram? The desktop would crash if I tried that. you do realize my stream tv box is literally an android phone with a screen ripped out. Why should I buy a Xbox one console when a Series S is almost the same thing just with 4k disc drive ripped out? I would rather have a modern Xbox console than an used console from a gen ago. I don't trust the iOS app on my iPhone.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
"I have really slow internet" would have been the best answer. Game streaming straight up isn't doable in my home town.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
You've been given like 5 alternatives of how to play any potential exclusive Xbox games.

And you've ignored them all and tried come up with new ways in which it won't work except for your exact situation which is "I want them on PS5"
its just constant goalpost moving, idk why any of ya'll are still bothering

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have they actually confirmed the deal is closing next year as in June 2023. I thought all they have said is that it will close by then.

Seems everyone is acting like it closes then exactly.

No they can't confirm until it gets the ok basically. Same with the zenimax deal took a while to get over the line.

Basically best to assume the latest date and anything earlier is good

noinspiration

Jun 22, 2020
So for people worrying that someone worse will take over Microsoft's gaming division after Phil Spencer, any Activision execs who don't get purged will presumably have a smoother path to that position after
Longer term I think your absolutely right. I just can't see it being until after the deal has closed, and at that point I can't see them canning whatever call of duty game is next to be released at that point as it will nearly be complete. But anything after that, yeah I agree. The only exception I think could be warzone or whatever the gaas / battle royale version is in the future which may well stay multiplatform.

I think some work on Starfield was canned, no? Or was that just speculation?

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
ff16, deathloop, say hi. both are doing it. sony chose to get in a bidding war with a company 25x its size.

So because Sony paid for timed exclusivity on these, that should give MS the full incentive to go out and buy one of the largest publishers on the planet?

Also, Sony has marketing rights for Ghostwire Tokyo, should that mean MS should go and buy up EA or Ubisoft?

The fact that people with a straight face can say that Sony brought this on themselves for either paying for exclusivity, timed or otherwise (where we don't even know if they even paid to help development, which is entirely possible), or having timed DLC for games as well are delusional. Exclusivity, timed or otherwise, a very select number of games does not mean they deserve to have a massive publisher taken away from them.

If Sony were to snatch up console exclusive rights (timed or otherwise) for RE9, should MS respond by buying EA?
If Sony were to snatch up console exclusive rights (timed or otherwise) for Divinity Original Sin 3, should MS respond by buying Ubisoft?

deafsnake

Sep 14, 2018
Syracuse, NY
OK well then I guess you wont be playing any of MS' first party games until you get an Xbox or a better PC (or a way to stream). I don't know what else you want us to tell you. That's the reality of the situation, and you've made it perfectly clear you're not happy with it. We get it. But there's nothing you can do, so it's just coming off as petty at this point.
Lol. I just referenced Halo and Sunset Overdrive. Someebody can't read considering that I read all 160 pages of this thread last night.

Dec 11, 2017
and see above about my specs. You think my desktop can handle a browser that will eat up most of the ram? The desktop would crash if I tried that. you do realize my stream tv box is literally an android phone with a screen ripped out. Why should I buy a Xbox one console when a Series S is almost the same thing just with 4k disc drive ripped out? I would rather have a modern Xbox console than an used console from a gen ago. I don't trust the iOS app on my iPhone.

Cool story, Kratos profile pic person.

Clearly aren't going to accept any of the responses you're getting from a number of different posters here. You have a vast number of options in front of you across multiple devices both cheap and expensive. The Xbox strategy is there for anyone to play however they can, and you're mincing words to make the scenario not work for you.

Enjoy your PS5 and I'll be thinking of you the next time I fire up xCloud (on either my Mac, iPhone, Xbox). ✌️

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
I do wonder though how much of a shock this is to Sony.

I remember when MS bought Minecraft, Sony was initially worried they'd pull the game from them... And that was "just" Minecraft (I know it's huge).

This has to worry them. 3rd party games are a huge draw to any console, so having both Bethesda and Activision vanish within less than a year and half must have them in some sort of panic mode.

There's almost nothing they could announce that could topple this news. This will literally stay the biggest news of the year.

Heck, even if Sony somehow bought Take-Two within this year, it still wouldn't be as big, IMO. Add Capcom and Square while you're at it and it's still not as big.

That's literally the kind of stuff they'd have to pull in order to compete with MS's current pace. I don't see it happening. The smaller publishers? Maybe. They'll have to pick and choose.

I also don't see them going away, whatever happens, because Sony's gaming division is severely undervalued.

So far, us 'fearmongers' have been pretty spot on. This will not be good for gaming and the people cheering these sorts of acquistions won't always be cheering, especially when the shoe is on the other foot.

Big 3rd party publishers will become a thing of the past and not one person on here can convince me otherwise after all this.

May 25, 2019
London

I feel like this is beyond parody at this point

A desktop PC with 8 gb of memory and a GPU with 4gb of dedicated video memory is more than capable of handling streaming video.

Lucini

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like we've done this cycle of "microsoft doesn't have games i care about" and "why do i have to buy a xbox to play games i care about" already when Bethesda was purchased.

Equally as exhausting, but this thread has 100x the reach from just COD fans alone. Safe to say that we're only in the first wave of "But how awful" for now.

deafsnake

Sep 14, 2018
Syracuse, NY
Cool story, Kratos profile pic person.

Clearly aren't going to accept any of the responses you're getting from a number of different posters here. You have a vast number of options in front of you across multiple devices both cheap and expensive. The Xbox strategy is there for anyone to play however they can, and you're mincing words to make the scenario not work for you.

Enjoy your PS5 and I'll be thinking of you the next time I fire up xCloud (on either my Mac, iPhone, Xbox). ✌️

Think of me when you realize that not everyone has a job due to the disabled being held back from applying for a job that would have covered all of the stuff you claim to have. (Yes, I'm both deaf and I have a cerebral Palsy. You gonna go right wing on me and say stuff about how us disabled shouldn't be gaming like I hear from most people all the time on Facebook and Twitter?)

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
Think of me when you realize that not everyone has a job due to the disabled being held back from applying for a job that would have covered all of the stuff you claim to have. (Yes, I'm both deaf and I have a cerebral Palsy. You gonna go right wing on me and say stuff about how us disabled shouldn't be gaming like I hear from most people all the time on Facebook and Twitter?)

Yikes.....

Edit: and banned, thank you mods.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So because Sony paid for timed exclusivity on these, that should give MS the full incentive to go out and buy one of the largest publishers on the planet?

Also, Sony has marketing rights for Ghostwire Tokyo, should that mean MS should go and buy up EA or Ubisoft?

The fact that people with a straight face can say that Sony brought this on themselves for either paying for exclusivity, timed or otherwise (where we don't even know if they even paid to help development, which is entirely possible), or having timed DLC for games as well are delusional. Exclusivity, timed or otherwise, a very select number of games does not mean they deserve to have a massive publisher taken away from them.

If Sony were to snatch up console exclusive rights (timed or otherwise) for RE9, should MS respond by buying EA?
If Sony were to snatch up console exclusive rights (timed or otherwise) for Divinity Original Sin 3, should MS respond by buying Ubisoft?
Emotions aside. These corporations don't deserve anything. Both of these corporations are simply competing in the same industry.

That's it.

There is no right or wrong way to compete (as long as it is legal, of course).

Dec 11, 2017

Ok I'm sorry about you're situation but talk about pulling the rug out on this convo. This isn't really what we're here for, and regardless of personal circumstances, you've gone out of your way to say you can't play Game Pass titles.

I hope you're ok but that was a bit of a handbrake turn, diverting away completely from what we're talking about.

I'm not "right wing". I was talking about streaming video games ffs.

Edit: Just saw the ban. Thanks, mods. Hope he's ok honestly.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
You have 8gb of RAM lol, you'll be fine?

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
I have been thinking about it but yeah Sony should be a bit worried about this. Not because MS will buy another publisher but CoD is a huge franchise. It's not just about the 30% cut. Its about people buying Playstation 5's and getting into the Playstation ecosystem. This gen of console is still a bit new but when CoD starts being exclusive, prices of the next gen systems could drop, and they be readily available on store shelves. The choice will be easy. Sony will lose out on a lot of downstream revenue and people who will play their 1st party titles possibly. Also lose out on microtransactions from other games as well like Fortnite and Warzone if the same people play those as well.

DuperGoon

Jan 29, 2018
The crazy thing to me is how some journalist are loving this, mostly Geoff Keighley, talking about this being a 'big investment' in gaming.

A big investment would have been if Microsoft created brand new studios, brand new jobs for game developers to shop their skills. They just bought up iconic franchises and two publishers in the drop of the hat. This is bad for gaming and people that make games.

Now we wait for them to start the mass firings that always happen with this buyouts. People are pretending that Microsoft is doing this buyout for the goodness of their hearts. I wish I was as gullible as these people.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
I do wonder though how much of a shock this is to Sony.

I remember when MS bought Minecraft, Sony was initially worried they'd pull the game from them... And that was "just" Minecraft (I know it's huge).

This has to worry them. 3rd party games are a huge draw to any console, so having both Bethesda and Activision vanish within less than a year and half must have them in some sort of panic mode.

There's almost nothing they could announce that could topple this news. This will literally stay the biggest news of the year.

Heck, even if Sony somehow bought Take-Two within this year, it still wouldn't be as big, IMO. Add Capcom and Square while you're at it and it's still not as big.

Even just in terms of the news cycle and discussion, this has to be a nightmare for Sony.

They know this is not only a huge deal but it's going to dominate the gaming news cycle all year. There'll be months of speculation about whether Call of Duty games will be exclusive to Xbox (or where gamepass is), It'll be all over the news again when the deal is finalised and then again when Microsoft do the inevitable huge dump of Acti/Blizzard games to gamepass, and then probably again if/when they do confirm that whatever new CoD coming out isn't coming to Playstation.

And there's nothing they can really do about it.

ShinAmano

Oct 30, 2017
The crazy thing to me is how some journalist are loving this, mostly Geoff Keighley, talking about this being a 'big investment' in gaming.

A big investment would have been if Microsoft created brand new studios, brand new jobs for game developers to shop their skills. They just bought up iconic franchises and two publishers in the drop of the hat. This is bad for gaming and people that make games.

Now we wait for them to start the mass firings that always happen with this buyouts. People are pretending that Microsoft is doing this buyout for the goodness of their hearts. I wish I was as gullible as these people.
It is quite literally the biggest investment in gaming of all time.

Lucini

Oct 27, 2017

It is. This is not happening in a vacuum, it was not all that long ago that the common refrain was "XBOX has no games!"

Acquiring studios and IPs is definitely an investment in their gaming content. That's the context that Geoff is making the comment in.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Havent seen any big layoffs at Bethesda yet. Quite the opposite. All studios are hiring like crazy.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017

you must be following a different keighley if you think he's "loving this". the point of being a big investment persist. its not just a big investiment, its the biggest. liking it or not doesnt change the sum involved

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What I'm getting at is, people on here have been posting that Sony deserved this because of their exclusivity stuff. Like... what?
Then that's silly.

However, I think the point they're trying to express is Playstation leverages its history, relationships, market leadership, and being Japanese based to its benefit so a corporation that lacks some of these strengths but has strengths in other areas are going to use those to their benefit in order to compete.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I definitely don't recommend people buy a used xbox one S either, unless they can buy it from like a friend for $150 or something.

Last I checked, they tend to sell over $200 on ebay and the like, and at that point, you really are better off just buying the Series S. I tried playing Fallout 76 on an Xbox One S, and lol just no. It couldn't even handle boss fights without stutters and crashing.

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

As far as I'm aware Microsoft havent laid off people from the zenimax deal? And haven't announced any plans to do so

Who's saying it's from the goodness of their hearts? Pretty much everyone is saying this happened cuz of the acti scandals ongoing

Also depends on your view of bad for gaming. As it stands Xbox's stated goal is to get as many games to as many people. They're primarily doing this through streaming.

Microsoft as a whole the last few years has dragged the industry forward in a number of areas.

Is it shit that some games may not be on PS5 or switch yeah no doubt.

Dec 11, 2017
My mind turned to Spartacus.

- Sony don't really want to put their new titles day and date.
- Their back catalogue of hits are either dirt cheap or already in the PS Plus collection.
- No Bethesda games will be there. No Activision games will be there (at least in the future).
- Microsoft already have EA Play in Game Pass. They're also already in cahoots with Ubisoft somewhat.
- Game Pass is picking up quite a few indies a launch, along with the odd multiplayer game in day one.

So what the hell is on Spartacus?

deep_dish

Oct 25, 2017
Here's the real lasting impact of this deal…

Every Board of Directors, and I do mean EVERY, that represent shareholders (gag) at major publishers saw this deal and are thinking "how do WE get $70billion?"

EA. Take Two. Ubisoft. Capcom. Square Enix. All of them are going "We don't want to be the odd company out when the rest of our competitors get acquired"

Honestly, while I don't think it would happen, even Sony is thinking "well, if Netflix would buy the PlayStation division for $120 billion is that better than what we're doing now?"

The fallout from this deal is just beginning

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I definitely don't recommend people buy a used xbox one S either, unless they can buy it from like a friend for $150 or something.

Last I checked, they tend to sell over $200 on ebay and the like, and at that point, you really are better off just buying the Series S. I tried playing Fallout 76 on an Xbox One S, and lol just no. It couldn't even handle boss fights without stutters and crashing.

You can stream on Xbox consoles so in theory you'd get Xbox Series X performance on a Xbox one.

But yeah if you have the choice of series s or one s it's kinda a no brainer

Status
Not open for further replies.