• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasaromega

Oct 29, 2017
Man, that's all pretty crazy. Given how big a the deal is with respect to monetary terms, there's little doubt some anti-trust issues will arise. Xbox really is gunning to be the home for Western-style games, isn't it?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Truth. They just don't have the same "casual market" cachet that CoD enjoys.

Which is why it's even funnier that some folks are like "what about MAG or SOCOM?"

Like none of these franchises still exist, and the reason is they were all given chances and didn't take off. The casual FPS gamer just wants COD.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
Y'all really kidding yourselves if you think CoD ain't a system seller. If CoD is on both, then Joe McGamer will get whichever platform has other cool exclusives or more of his friends playing. If CoD is only on Xbox, then Joe McGamer is gonna get the Xbox. We're not talking about enthusiasts with money for every console or people that only play niche genres or live in obscure markets. A very large portion of customers are just like Joe McGamer; they will buy CoD, Madden, and NBA 2K every year, and will usually buy the occasional blockbuster like Skyrim, Dark Souls, Fallout, Halo, GTA, etc.
Substitute Madden for FIFA for the rest of the world and that's one of Sony's problems post A-B takeover in a nutshell.

The stock price in the company today has, at time of writing, dropped 12%.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
RDT-20220119-1705055146210675314549308.png

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
Which is why it's even funnier that some folks are like "what about MAG or SOCOM?"

Like none of these franchises still exist, and the reason is they were all given chances and didn't take off. The casual FPS gamer just wants COD.
And explains why a Capcom or Square-Enix buyout would do very little to move the needle for this group.
It'd take a Take2 or EA purchase to really have a similar impact.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Yeh some of you underestimate how much of a big deal cod is to the mainstream/casual audience.

It's the franchise.

CoD rarely gets discussed here but in the UK charts they were posted CoD had two games in the Top 5.

Think about it…. the old CoD sells more than a new Far Cry game and Vanguard, despite losing ca. 35% YoY is still the second biggest game of 2021 in the UK.
On top of that you have a massive BR game and mobile.

That's why I'm fairly sure that CoD will remain available on PS4/5 Systems.
The negatives (loss of income) clearly outweigh the benefits (denying this game to the competition) here.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
this is scorched earth which people were saying was a likely reaction to sony buying a bunch of third party exclusives at the start of the gen. the fact that sony got in to a biding war with a company 25x its size is funny. is this good for the industry, no, but it was a predictable end result.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
CoD rarely gets discussed here but in the UK charts they were posted CoD had two games in the Top 5.

Think about it…. the old CoD sells more than a new Far Cry game and Vanguard, despite losing ca. 35% YoY is still the second biggest game of 2021 in the UK.

The negatives (loss of income) clearly outweigh the benefits (denying this game to the competition) here.
rh people was saying the same thing about starfeild, the moment actblizz deal closses the next cod will be xbox/pc only.

UnsungKing

Dec 31, 2019
This news is truly insane. This is for sure not against any anti-trust laws. They aren't even close to market share even with the acquisition. Also I think COD is exclusive to tech with gamepass. Same plan they have with Starfield and Elder Scrolls. Subscribers are more valuable than single purchase sales. Simple math.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah.

People will be selectively outraged when it pleases their inner (and often hidden) fanboy. Sony will likely announce more exclusive titles to help combat this (because they're unlikely to able to purchase any publisher right now) and the same people who are championing Microsoft buying another entire publisher will rage out about it being unfair.

It's only a matter of time before EA, Ubisoft, Capcom, Sega, Square Enix, Bandai Namco, Embracer Group, etc, etc are all owned by one of the big super corps. Microsoft will most likely buy most of these, but obviously it's possible that even Amazon, Apple, etc could be buying some of them and tying all their IP to one platform (or PC and Xbox, in Microsoft's case). It's just super, super gross. Microsoft is locking previously multi-platform IP (mega fucking IP, like CoD, Elder Scrolls, etc, etc.) behind the Xbox and PC platforms (which is mainly Windows based machines, no less) isn't "good for the gamer" if you're activiely fucking over a majority of the gaming population. If Amazon buys EA and makes their games only available on Luna and say it's "good for the gamer", people are gonna be pissed. No different here. The age of real multi-platform titles is quickly disappearing. Much of the same people who hated exclusives or exclusive content like a costume, level, or character are likely the ones who LOVE Microsoft buying another major publisher because of GamePass. It's the answer for everything. They're the ones who do mental gymnastics to find ways to believe Microsoft buying another major publisher and keeping their games off two massive platforms and their respective players in Switch and PS5 and any future hardware from Sony or Nintendo is a good thing. It's ridiculous.

And I doubt we're going to see any critical discussion on the problems with this from anyone prevalent in the gaming industry either. They'll push past the industry implications of this or criticize what this means because "it'll be good for X reasons" like Imran Khan and Jason Schrier are already doing. And I'll get flamed for being against this because of... something. Someone will look my post history again and see I posted in a Sony game thread and go AHA GOT YOU or some dumb crap.

And again, no, I don't want Sony doing the same fucking thing.

BUT GAMEPASS BABY! WOO! /s
Sorry for not responding earlier, I just saw so much text that I kinda just pushed it off for a while

Yeah, fanboys of all kinds will make exceptions for something being bad for other console owners if it makes THEIR preferred console have more exclusives. It's honestly pretty sad and shows just how tribal a lot of folk are. There's plenty to love about how MS is handling the Xbox, but locking franchises away from other platform is definitely not good for gamers

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
Well If I ever needed a reason to own both (ps5, series x) consoles this generation, this is quite the big sign!

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Microsoft will still be smaller than Sony in gaming revenue after this, so hardly a monopoly.
Past YoY revenue is not transitive. I think you are being very short sighted if you think the landscape will remain exactly the same forever. COD has been Sony's best selling game for years and I'm damn positive this purchase will move the needle. I wouldn't put too much into that revenue bucket just yet.

Don Dada

Oct 27, 2017

Trust me they are not spending $70bn just to have Activision games on gamepass day one there are cheaper ways to do that.

They don't make their money back on this by maintaining the status quo. This is a move to shift consumers to the platforms MS own.

The more I seriously think about this the more I realise my favourite hobby is being ruined and I makes me just want to play retro games only. Seriously this is just 90s Microsoft all over. Can't beat them so just buy everything and choke them out of business
This is honestly where I'm at tbh. Only instead of the 90s, it's the early to late 2000s where I was mostly a casual pc & ps2 gamer that didn't play the hottest releases. The days of the sims, bratz, Barbie, Disney Nancy drew, roller coaster tycoon & varies clones & c-b tier stuff. The glory days I guess…. This is really depressing to me because it's literally the path to paying hundreds of dollars a month for various services just like I do with streaming.

made even worse when you throw the possible Microsoft monopoly around because god forbid they don't have one like they do with thier office software. made even better with the it no longer even having to option to own it and having to pay 70-100$ just for the sheer privilege of borrowing it!

but sure! Papa Microsoft is definitely the friend of the gamer and definitely won't pull the exact same shit! God, this generation hasn't even truly started and I fucking hate it…

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
YoY revenue is not set in stone. I think you are being very short sighted if you think the landscape will remain exactly the same forever. COD has been Sony's best selling game for years and I'm damn positive that this purchase will move the needle. I wouldn't put too much into that revenue bucket just yet.
still doesnt subject ms to anti trust, there are set legal definitions for abuse of market share, and this violates none of them.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
YoY revenue is not set in stone. I think you are being very short sighted if you think the landscape will remain exactly the same forever. COD has been Sony's best selling game for years and I'm damn positive that this purchase will move the needle. I wouldn't put too much into that revenue bucket just yet.
Yeah, I don't get why people think they're still going to be in third every year just because they were in 2020. If they release a CoD, Elder Scrolls, Overwatch, and Banjo (or whatever) in the same year they could very easily dominate. It's a meaningless argument.

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft will still be smaller than Sony in gaming revenue after this, so hardly a monopoly.

Thats what nokia though about samsung. Sony brand is still really strong and are best at marketing which helps a lot with the mainstream buying sony consoles.

However with almost exclusice every sony game available on pc, whats left to justify a purchase ps5 over an xbox?

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
Halo 3, ODST and Reach were all September releases while the others were early November. They could make it work.

I might be wrong but I'd put money on CoD missing a year some time in the mid 2020's and possibly going to a two or three year cycle.

I just makes sense I think. MS will have so many massive FPS franchises that they would be stepping on themselves if they continue to release CoD every November. You put out big shooters maybe two or three times a year. With that MS bench you now have at least 4 shooter franchises that need room to breathe. Halo, Doom, Gears, CoD, and an alt tier bench with Wolfenstein, Overwatch, potentially Quake and whatever shooteresque shit Arkane is working on.

Dropping more than two of those first four in any one year, especially without putting at least three months between releases on a subscription service will reduce impact. Better to drive subs by spreading release excitement.

You could also get away with pushing one of the alt games instead of one of the bigger franchises in say, the summer. You would need to support the most recent big releases longer with maps skins and season passes, but CoD has felt archaic in that regard for a long time anyway and needs a revamp.

In addition It would be good PR, addressing burn out , making space for creativity, all those things a lot of the other acquired studios have praised ms for.

Also it would suit the game pass model better allowing some of Activision to move onto other game pass boosting projects that can fill lulls in the release schedule.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
Thats what nokia though about samsung. Sony brand is still really strong and are best at marketing which helps a lot with the mainstream buying sony consoles.

However with almost exclusice every sony game available on pc, whats left to justify a purchase ps5 over an xbox?
but that exists both ways, why buy a xbox with all of its games being released on pc?

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The more I seriously think about this the more I realise my favourite hobby is being ruined and I makes me just want to play retro games only. Seriously this is just 90s Microsoft all over. Can't beat them so just buy everything and choke them out of business

At least we'll always have our backlogs

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
At the end of the day COD is irrelevant to me and nothing on xbox has my attention so it's still sony all day. Now the only thing that would be a blow to me is if MS picked up Square as two of my favorite franchised are there.
but that exists both ways, why buy a xbox with all of its games being released on pc?
This I said I'll pick up an XSX for Perfect Dark but if that releases on PC as well then fuck a XSX

Oct 25, 2017
i think part of the issue for me is yeah, MS has been making all the right moves lately and "good guy Phil" and stuff. But what about five years from now? Remember good guy Sony with PS4 who loved indies and was dunking on MS with all the right consumer forward moves? Not that Sony is bad now, just they aren't quite as outwardly fan focused, nickel and diming a bit more, and then key people begin to leave when there's differences of opinion or just want a new pasture or family/health matters or whatever. There's a ton of things that could change with MS that changes them too and them becoming an increasingly bigger chunk of "core gaming" titles has pessimistic me side eyeing a bit.

but, until then… I won't be buying any future or older activision titles for the next year as gamepass gonna gamepass and luckily first party titles never go off so I'll have lots of time to catch up on Diablo II or uhhh… CoD Ghosts? I dunno. Gamepass is already a fucking endless buffet of gaming hours so pile em on.

Kavalier_Clay

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 16, 2021
I might be wrong but I'd put money on CoD missing a year some time in the mid 2020's and possibly going to a two or three year cycle.

I just makes sense I think. MS will have so many massive FPS franchises that they would be stepping on themselves if they continue to release CoD every November. You put out big shooters maybe two or three times a year. With that MS bench you now have at least 4 shooter franchises that need room to breathe. Halo, Doom, Gears, CoD, and an alt tier bench with Wolfenstein, Overwatch, potentially Quake and whatever shooteresque shit Arkane is working on.

Dropping more than two of those first four in any one year, especially without putting at least three months between releases on a subscription service will reduce impact. Better to drive subs by spreading release excitement.

You could also get away with pushing one of the alt games instead of one of the bigger franchises in say, the summer. You would need to support the most recent big releases longer with maps skins and season passes, but CoD has felt archaic in that regard for a long time anyway and needs a revamp.

In addition It would be good PR, addressing burn out , making space for creativity, all those things a lot of the other acquired studios have praised ms for.

Also it would suit the game pass model better allowing some of Activision to move onto other game pass boosting projects that can fill lulls in the release schedule.

I think they'll want to continue regular expansions of service games like Warzone. But yeah, for straight up campaign CODs, they'll probably increase the time between titles and hopefully use Treyarch, Infinity Ward, and Sledgehammer in more creative non-COD ways.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The funny thing is in an anti-trust argument, Microsoft could use Sony's own past history against them ... Sony snatched Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, and most of the support of Capcom, Konami and others and locked it away from Nintendo.

Yet Nintendo more than survived, they flourished over time. Simply gaining support or control over certain 3rd party developers doesn't mean the console race becomes entirely non-competitive.

It means it's harder for Sony to remain the market leader, but that's not the criteria for a monopoly, the gaming world doesn't cease to function properly if Sony is forced into no.2 or even no.3.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
i think part of the issue for me is yeah, MS has been making all the right moves lately and "good guy Phil" and stuff. But what about five years from now? Remember good guy Sony with PS4 who loved indies and was dunking on MS with all the right consumer forward moves? Not that Sony is bad now, just they aren't quite as outwardly fan focused, nickel and diming a bit more, and then key people begin to leave when there's differences of opinion or just want a new pasture or family/health matters or whatever. There's a ton of things that could change with MS that changes them too and them becoming an increasingly bigger chunk of "core gaming" titles has pessimistic me side eyeing a bit.

but, until then… I won't be buying any future or older activision titles for the next year as gamepass gonna gamepass and luckily first party titles never go off so I'll have lots of time to catch up on Diablo II or uhhh… CoD Ghosts? I dunno. Gamepass is already a fucking endless buffet of gaming hours so pile em on.

That's the thing, MS's endgame won't be not working with indies. They want content of all sizes.

MS's heel turn if they get to be number 1 or simply big enough will be to crank the Game Pass price.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
]
That's the thing, MS's endgame won't be not working with indies. They want content of all sizes.

MS's heel turn if they get to be number 1 or simply big enough will be to crank the Game Pass price.
Yes but artificially keeping GamePass dirt cheap while they subsidize it with enormous profits from Windows, Office, and Azure is also bad. It is basically impossible for anyone but Google, Apple, or Amazon to compete with a loss leader like that -- Google and Amazon are only failing because they don't have the IP... MS obviously has the IP and is building a moat there too.

Oct 27, 2017
ETj6KwMUMAEYN-A

35% of this list has the potential to be locked away forever on the competitor's devices. So, it is fair to say that Microsoft does have Sony in a bit of a bind here.

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
whatever the hell Microsoft has been doing with their franchises is at least more admirable than what Blizzard has been doing with Warcraft.

All things considered, and by comparative advantage, I trust Microsoft with this acquisition.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
]

Yes but artificially keeping GamePass dirt cheap while they subsidize it with enormous profits from Windows, Office, and Azure is also bad. It is basically impossible for anyone but Google, Apple, or Amazon to compete with a loss leader like that -- Google and Amazon are only failing because they don't have the IP... MS obviously has the IP and is building a moat there too.
loss leading is tech business model 101 for decades, nothing new here.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
Get enough ips away from Sony until they buckle and allow Game Pass on PlayStation is one of the ultimate goals I bet. Sony gets a cut, majority goes to Microsoft and the Microsoft gaming ecosystem is truly almost everywhere.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
whatever the hell Microsoft has been doing with their franchises is at least more admirable than what Blizzard has been doing with Warcraft.

All things considered, and by comparative advantage, I trust Microsoft with this acquisition.
if ms is smart they fully replace the wow dev team, at least its leadership.. the meltdown wow had is a embarasment lol. like how the fuck do you screw up one of the most profitable games in the world the way blizzard did.

Status
Not open for further replies.