• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
I never said they were sitting idle, but the timeframe offered up was within a few months, and that's an incredibly short amount of time.
Oh, sorry! My bad, I didn't see that!

But still, within a little less than a year and a half, MS's announced 2 huge publisher acquisitions.

I'm honestly a bit surprised that we haven't heard anything from Sony during this timeframe, aside from their much, much smaller acquisitions. I honestly never thought they'd stick to that plan after the Bethesda deal, with MS even explicitly stating that they intended to continue with their strategy.

Now though? Now I can't even imagine them not getting into the publisher-buying game... I hate this so much.

OldBenKenobi

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually kind of surprised everyone seems to be happy with this. One company buying up everything just creates less options for everyone else. All because Microsoft can't be bothered to actually invest in their own gaming studios to create good games, and would rather buy up their competition in order to look competitive.

I'd imagine antitrust will be tested soon. Wouldn't be the first time with Microsoft.

But they have created good games? Some of you guys need to step back and relax lol. This comes off as fanboy nonsense.

DrSopa

Oct 27, 2017
RchVPMc.gif

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Mostly happy for me and that gamepass i invested in because even more value. Also kinda happy for the devs that were stuck at COD.
Hopefully now they have some freedom again to make something new. Love to see what Sledgehammer can do on their own terms

Valentonis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 8, 2020
Halo, DOOM, CoD, Overwatch, and Dishonored all under the same roof? Screw Xbox Smash Bros, we need an Xbox MOBA shooter

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
They'll buy everyone they can.
They want to give everyone no other option but to subscribe to Gamepass, and at that point they jack up the price because what else are we gonna do?

Just buy the games you want individually. I don't think MS is ever going to put out a game that is exclusive to Game Pass, at least not based on their current messaging.

Oct 27, 2017

But still, within a little less than a year and a half, MS's announced 2 huge publisher acquisitions.

I'm honestly a bit surprised that we haven't heard anything from Sony during this timeframe, aside from their much, much smaller acquisitions. I honestly never thought they'd stick to that plan after the Bethesda deal, with MS even explicitly stating that they intended to continue with their strategy.

Now though? Now I can't even imagine them not getting into the publisher-buying game... I hate this so much.

Sony are fairly slow about most things these days. They need to work faster, and unless they buy a publisher or two themselves, MS can easily starve them off AAA content.

wingkongex

Aug 25, 2019
You could always stream the games to your phone or a cheap Chrome Book.

Yeah, between MS, Sony and Nintendo, MS with Game Pass is the closest to being basically platform agnostic - PC, mobile, streaming, dedicated console hardware. If Sony or Nintendo acquire a dev to specifically make games for them, I have far less options when it comes to where to play them.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually kind of surprised everyone seems to be happy with this. One company buying up everything just creates less options for everyone else. All because Microsoft can't be bothered to actually invest in their own gaming studios to create good games, and would rather buy up their competition in order to look competitive.

I'd imagine antitrust will be tested soon. Wouldn't be the first time with Microsoft.
Ya must not have read much of the thread then lol

Paxton25

May 9, 2018
I think Ubisoft is the other obvious one that they are probably in discussions with, especially after Far Cry 6 and Riders Republic didn't really set the world on fire last year. And with Ubi's stock price sitting at half of where it was this time last year, and almost 1/3 of their highest value, now would be the time to be getting aggresive with them. And then there is the bit of smoke that we maybe see in RB6 Extraction and Siege being added to Game Pass this month.
Ubisoft on gamepass would be a dream come true. Assassins creeds for basically nothing 🥳

Relly

Banned
Oct 19, 2019
User Banned (1 week): trolling
Welp what do you expect from Bill Gates corporation, the man that went to epsteins island several times or tries to buy farms in other country to Controll the food there. He looks innocent but he for sure is the devil's toenail. I don't trust the future with Ms at all.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Welp what do you expect from Bill Gates corporation, the man that went to epsteins island several times or tries to buy farms in other country to Controll the food there. He looks innocent but he for sure is the devil's toenail. I don't trust the future with Ms at all.

Who do you trust?

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Did anyone have Epstein on their bingo card

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The other side of this that sucks is that ActiBlizz was sucking so hard that their employees were gesturing towards unionization. Doubt that happens now.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017

Given how much of a cesspool Activision has become this is not a bad outcome for the devs involved and this coming a hardcore PlayStation fan *see avatar*. So I can see why some of Era is happy about this but man Twitter is gonna get unbearable (if it wasn't already).

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017

An existing publisher buying another publisher is not really an efficient use of capital. MS is doing it because, frankly, they have the money to burn.

It's absolutely possible for Sony to grab their own publisher, and if they were asking me for advice there are a few that make a fair bit of sense. But they can't do it just because MS has done it to make a point or something like that.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bill Gates hasn't been running the show for quite some time.

Nadella seems like a "decent" CEO so far.

105-Shake

Aug 13, 2020

You're right. This is all about population control and every new xbox console will come with a vaccine that will surely kill us all in the future. Stay Woke 👁️

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017

Is this another meme? I can't tell anymore.

FatalT

Feb 24, 2019
Lmaoooooo this post

Paxton25

May 9, 2018
Bill gates doesn't run MS. No idea what this post is about…

Oct 26, 2017
I'm more just laughing at the idea that Sony is somehow still that cool uncle. People they are all money-loving corporations, they are a business not your friend.
Really? Sony haven't been the cool guys here for a while, especially since Jim Ryan took the helm. Both Jim and Phil are ruthless businessmen who have been huge assets to their parent companies, Phil just puts out better soundbites for gamer site headlines.
If these recent moves by MS really do put Sony on the back-foot then they'll return to being the cool kid and MS will be the big meanies who only care about money. (again)

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people here really bought into the whole "Phil is your bestest buddy cool gaming uncle who just wants everybody to have fun" shtick.

I mean…so did everybody when the "used game" troll was posted by Sony last gen.

newsflash: none of them compare about you, as an individual as much as it may hurt to admit so.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Ok then. Let's rephrase to make everyone get into the Xbox ecosystem because there's no other choice.

They aren't going to buy Sony or Nintendo (most likely), so I think you'll always have a choice. In fact, I'd argue, if you want to play Spiderman games, or God of War, or Mario games, or Zelda games...you're not ever going to be able to do that on XBOX. But yeah, if you want to play Starfield or Call of Duty in a couple years you're probably going to need an XBOX or a PC or a Phone or a Tablet or a Smart TV and a steady internet connection, but at least that barrier isn't there compared to something like Mario that you can't play on a phone or tablet or PC.

thankyoumerzbow

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2020
this thread keeps on delivering, unless this a copypasta that im missing

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure why Sony should be too concerned with this? Losing COD would be a blow, but they have such a great 1st party line up. Added to the brand of PS being so strong WW I don't see the big deal. They'll sell 100 million plus PS5's and the world will keep spinning.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
Vanguard is going to be the last Call of Duty campaign for PlayStation… talk about disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.