• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
So what you're saying is you don't like another having major marketshare and are quite content with the current major marketshare?
Big freaking difference between yesterday and today in terms of market share. What Microsoft has done here is basically kneecap the industry in order to dunk on Sony.

A temporary boost to gamepass value is not worth what has happened here.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
If I want to play Call of Duty on xbox I can still do that. If I want to play Call of Duty on playstation I could still do that. A year from now we won't have that option. Who knows in 2 years I might not even have the option to play grand theft auto on playstation or PC outside of gamepass or Battlefield. Consolidation of a market is terrible, You always need multiple options on the market.
You can and will still be able to buy games on PC or Xbox, you're getting ahead of yourself to make it seems more dramatic than it is. The trajectory of Activision was on a huge decline even not talking about all the vile crap goin on with employees. Their IP output was getting stale and limited, I'm hoping now it gets better but you seem far too focused on Playstation losing some marketshare, which they are currently dominating. Perhaps maybe in the future some will think Xbox forst then Switch or Playstation second because right now it seems like Playstation has become the default platform, which is also not good for consumers in the end.

Big freaking difference between yesterday and today in terms of market share. What Microsoft has done here is basically kneecap the industry in order to dunk on Sony.

A temporary boost to gamepass value is not worth what has happened here.

Next month it wiill still be almost impossible to get a PS5, let's not get ahead of ourselves. I think it's difficult for some to imagine MS ever being the market leader that Sony has held for a very long time.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Publishers are just a collection of devs, so explain how difference is big?

Oh and now these games might possibility not be on PC? Now we've come full circle.

I didn't say that, I said game pass walled garden. What if I don't want to be under Microsoft walled garden. I don't have that choice anymore in a year from now. Microsoft might be playing nice ball with valve for now, But once they get enough consolidation I don't expect that friendship to last.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
For me, I don't want more of my data going to Facebook than they already have. I haven't used a Facebook product in ~5 years or so, but I'd imagine that as a Playstation and Microsoft gamer that if I did ever play an Act-Bliz game, then a certain amount of my data would be shared with Facebook, as Sony and Microsoft share data with partners on the platform. There's an opt-out mechanism on Xbox (and I assume PS5, but I don't have a PS5 to confirm), but it'd suck if some product i liked got bought by Facebook and I had to stop using it. Microsoft, IMO, is not as nefarious as company with private data as Facebook is, which IMO, is the most irrresponsible owner of large amounts of personal data on earth. Facebook actively spreads harm with the data that they acquire and show no reticence for the harm they do. I don't really play any Act-Bliz games, but I tried Warzone last year, but would probably not try any of those games anymore if they were owned by Facebook.

I feel similarly about Oculus. If Microsoft or Sony bought Oculus, I'd try/buy an Oculus. I'd create an Oculus account. When Facebook bought Oculus, that fomented that I'd never buy an Oculus. I consider Facebook to be one of the most actively nefarious/negligent/malicious companies in the world, and also one of the most powerful organizations in the world. I think their record over the last 10 years, and 5 years, and 2 years has proven that out, and they show utter hostility to criticism from regulators and critics, far more so than most other major tech organizations. Facebook is more malicious today than Microsoft was 25 years ago, and they're far more powerful today than Microsoft was 25 years ago.

1. Do you seriously think Microsoft isn't selling all of your data already?

That is part of the subsidy for all streaming services. They collect user data en masse, mine it themselves for future content programming, and sell it to anyone willing to pay.

The only option here is to not provide your data, but as that is part and parcel of the service agreement to even use most of these services the only real winning move is to never play.

2. Microsoft was investigated for, charged with, and found to be guilty of anti-trust. They only got a slap on the wrist but they did literally everything Facebook has done by buying Instagram, Whatsapp, etc., and more by actively forcing the software layer. If Facebook is more malicious than Microsoft today it isn't because Microsoft took the high ground, its simply because the means weren't at their disposal.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
I'm kinda shocked at this acquisition. I understand MS needing more publishers for there GamePass service, but isn't there anti-trust laws in gaming for buying almost 50% of publishers out there.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Man, idk.

I'm worried about all these indy and smaller titles. Yeah they will have more money working with Microsoft, yeah Crash, Sypro and others will probably stay around now but I'm not expecting Microsoft to give each title the right amount or press and love because well it never works like that. When they had less studios everybody had time but now it'll be more highlighting on the major titles.

This whole thing is weird. I'm feeling for the smaller devs.

Actvision literally assigned all their studios to COD work. I don't care who did the buying, but a change of hands is better for the developers and IP then endless COD churn.

Jul 1, 2020
I guess he's right because instead of innovating their own IP which they've struggled with for 15 years after Halo, Gears, and Forza, they are now just buying it up instead. They never have been able to get new IP off the ground like Sony has for example or even the other studios they are buying. At least not in recent memory.
They bought Halo and Gears too. Forza is a weird one but I'd call that home grown. MS Flight Sim is their oldest gaming IP which is even older than Windows and the latest entry to that was fantastic.

Oct 27, 2017
www.pcgamesn.com

Sorry, Call of Duty is an anime game now

You can now see a realistic Attack on Titan thanks to Call of Duty: Warzone

charlieINTEL_2020-May-04.jpg

Time to buy my first CoD game ever, I see.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Why do people think Crash and Spyro will suddenly thrive under Microsoft?
It's not a given but it's very clear MS and Activision leadership have very different definitions to what success for those sorts of games is.

MS would have been over the moon had they performed similarly and created as much critical acclaim as they have recently. Same goes for the Tony hawk remaster. But to activision they were massive disappointments and they'd be better off assisting COD development

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
not that its necessarily an indicator of things but Microsoft has multiple characters in a 1st party Nintendo game and has released multiple games on their platform... (and allowing them to use their Rare IP on their game subscription) I'm not sure Sony are the ones Nintendo would be inclined to buddy up with tbh

That's why if you're Sony, you make the first move and try to thaw relations. The early 90s are lets be honest a distant spec in the rear view mirror of all these companies.

At the very least if I'm Sony and I'm seeing what I'm seeing, I send out some feelers to Nintendo. Throw out some friendly advances, try to at least thaw things a bit.

If MS ever cuts a deal with Nintendo ... well now you're completely and utterly fucked.

Sony still has one advantage over MS if it ever came to that ... they are a Japanese company and Nintendo is still a very stubborn Japanese company, they probably could be more inclined to agree to a Japanese partner than an American one. Just make sure the contract doesn't screw Nintendo over, lol.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't say that, I said game pass walled garden. What if I don't want to be under Microsoft walled garden. I don't have that choice anymore in a year from now. Microsoft might be playing nice ball with valve for now, But once they get enough consolidation I don't expect that friendship to last.
"Game pass walled garden" lmfao

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I guess he's right because instead of innovating their own IP which they've struggled with for 15 years after Halo, Gears, and Forza, they are now just buying it up instead. They never have been able to get new IP off the ground like Sony has for example or even the other studios they are buying. At least not in recent memory.

And as much as some are salty about the implications of said tweet, there's some truth to it. Xbox is essentially the kid at school who's never been creative or smart enough to really shine above or lead their peers, hasn't done a particularly good job in terms of studies and academia for the last several decades, but who has a super wealthy dad through which they can essentially buy themselves in to relevancy.

But it is what it is, and in the short term at least, it bodes well for consumers in terms of Game Pass offerings. I know I'll be playing these games on Game Pass and saving money lol.

In the long term however, when Xbox potentially has a stranglehold on the subscription market, many key previously multiplat IP, their all digital future etc, well, let's just say I'm not so confident we'll have nearly the same value proposition, and expect GP price hikes up the gazoo. If Phil is ever replaced by a Bobby Kotick type CEO as well...

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Publishers are just a collection of devs, so explain how difference is big?

Oh and now these games might possibility not be on PC? Now we've come full circle.
No, publishers are not "just a collection of devs," especially one the size of AB. That's a ridiculous statement.
Actvision literally assigned all their studios to COD work. I don't care who did the buying, but a change of hands is better for the developers and IP then endless COD churn.
Zero reason to think that's gonna change.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada

Sea of Thieves has done pretty well for itself.

Alovon11

Jan 8, 2021
I think they would be bewildered a bit at first, but if the numbers financially were a home run on their end, I think they'd have to consider it.

Sony would have to kiss a lot of ass. A lot. They'd have to offer something amazing as well. A lot of Japanese politics and all that.

But there is no Yamauchi at Nintendo anymore, Nintendo is a very different company today. I don't think the modern board at Nintendo really cares that much about things that happened in 1991. In the 90s, Nintendo swore up and down that cinematics and movie like games were the anti-thesis of Nintendo games, today they're making movies directly themselves, lol. Miyamoto is working on a Hollywood movie, not a video game, heh. Times change.
The only way Nintendo and Sony would work together is if the Switch is involved as a major pillar in the future.

Like, the Switch becomes the Portable/Hybrid brand for PS and both Nintnedo and PS games are on both system brands.

Aka never

May 14, 2021
For now... What happens a year from now or 5. We can all be happy right now that we have options until a year from now. I hate when people look at what's here and not long term. Then people wanna cry about $50-75 a month to play games because you have no way else to play it at. You don't get that option to Choose When the game gets cheap.
You think Phil is going to stop expanding the reach of MSGS and instead contract it down to one closed console? Good call.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
It's better but that doesn't mean it'll be great is what I'm saying. Yeah these dead games will now exist under MS, I'm saying that I hope they get the same amount of love, shine and development as they rightfully deserve. Given it's MS, we'll see what happens.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Next month it wiill still be almost impossible to get a PS5, let's not get ahead of ourselves. I think it's difficult for some to imagine MS ever being the market leader that Sony has held for a very long time.

Because the console they want to "win" just got their legs cut off.
It's not even about console wars at this point. This is just bad for the industry. Microsoft could have taken that 70 billion and launched numerous studios to make new IPs that could have been innovative and refreshing while still providing immense value to their Gamepass and their customers. Instead they spent 70 billion on a Call of Duty factory and a handful of other generically popular money makers like Overwatch and WoW.

This is just bad for the industry as a whole regardless of which console you own. It sucks more for PlayStation people obviously, but everyone is going to get screwed by this is one way or another.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
This is extremely disappointing. What's next? EA? Ubi? The Bethesda acquisition was already bad for competition and the industry, this is magnitudes worse. At what point do regulators step in? Because MS literally has a war chest big enough to choke out all of their competitors by just buying every major publisher.
Regulators step in when:
1) they actually give a damn
2) there aren't still dozens and dozens of publishers in existence, regardless of their presence

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Zero reason to think that's gonna change.

I'm not as pessimistic. Games like Tony Hawk remaster and Crash 4 performed quite well. If the studios are still in tact and the support duties they were performing can be absorbed elsewhere it makes sense to get them working on different projects. "All eggs in one basket" always seemed like a bad idea to me... But this is just outside observations so I don't really know.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
So what you're saying is you don't like another having major marketshare and are quite content with the current major marketshare?

Right now Xbox gamers don't have that choice for some games now, some that are even well known franchises. I'm not sure there is a perfect answer because gamers have always been divided. You buy a product for it's 1st party if you want to remain on one brand.

Here's the problem, Sony is not a Trillion dollar company that can keep there or company afloat if there isn't any 3rd parties on their consoles. If enough companies are being bought out from Microsoft that basically gives them control of the console market, Sony will fail long term (let's be serious, as much as I like their 1st/2nd party games, Their sales are not enough to keep that company afloat for their playstation division.)

Then your only choice at that point is either Nintendo or Microsoft. And nintendo has their own market separate from Sony and Microsoft.

So technically the only thing they would be competing against is themselves. Your only hope would be someone from a company like Tencent or Apple to jump into the console marketplace.

Redbarrel

Sep 10, 2020
This is bad for multiple reasons but this basically confirms Halo on Playstation, so it automatically turns in almost good news.

zuf

Oct 25, 2017
Uh...okay. Should've gone for EA instead imo.

Activision is a better fit for where they are going in the future.

"We need to support many metaverse platforms, as well as a robust ecosystem of content, commerce and applications. In gaming, we see the metaverse as a collection of communities and individual identities anchored in strong content franchises, accessible on every device," Nadella said, in a conference call to investors.

Activision Blizzard's biggest games, the ones being celebrated in the news, are all massive, multiplayer and mostly esports-focused. Call of Duty, World of Warcraft, Hearthstone, Starcraft, Overwatch: they're connected, competitive platforms. Epic calls Fortnite a metaverse. Microsoft already has one metaverse in Minecraft, another in Altspace VR.

www.cnet.com

Is Microsoft's Activision Blizzard acquisition really about the metaverse?

Microsoft calls it a metaverse move, which is already 2022's most overused term.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Sony has too much pride to sell divisions. It would take several companies pooling their money and dividing it up. Unless some conglomerate wants the whole thing, but like you said, it's too many different fields that probably won't appeal to one company.
Oh, it absolutely would appeal to a lot of companies.

Facebook - remove a VR competitor before VR is big enough for regulators to care while building a foothold into the various other media markets.

Amazon, who are pushing Luna and own Twitch, have struggled to actually make games on their own. They also have a video streaming service that needs content. They have a music branch that would benefit very much from an internal rate on licensing. And they have a consumer electronics branch that would both benefit greatly from the Sony brand cache and also the wide array of patents Sony's R&D/sensors division owns for microphones, speakers, camera lenses, etc..

Apple? Take all of the above and replace Luna and Twitch with Apple Gaming. Probably care more about he music, would see the electronics brand as the closest "known quality" label they'll get to buy to expand their own offerings.

Google - Again, all the same factors. Would care less about the video content, but probably more about the actual video games (as an avenue to greater user data collection).

Netflix - if they want to get to the next size tier they need to diversify their portfolio, video games is the obvious direction there, and Sony could give them a springboard into making their own streaming boxes.

Tencent - who knows if they actually have the money, but if Japan would let it happen I'm sure the PRC would find enough between the couch cushions to make it happen.

Disney would even be a good fit if they want to expand the portfolio, and they have existing relationship across Sony's two most important lines of business. Just think of all the in-house utilization Disney could manufacture with Sony's massive music rights catalog.

Status
Not open for further replies.