• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nath999

May 7, 2018
No, I've found that Microsoft very much cares. They aren't perfect (no assemblage of thousands of humans is), but they absolutely care and it shows in their internal culture. I know quite a few people who work at Microsoft and lack of care is definitely not a way they would describe managers or leadership there.

I can vouch for this, I know some past and present Microsoft employees and they do take proper work environment/culture seriously.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
If you include the revenue that Activision made last year ($8.1bn) as well as the projected revenue for Zenimax (around $1.5bn to $2.2bn), that would take Xbox's revenue to $25.3bn. PlayStation revenue last year was $25.04bn, a portion of that will be from the 30% store cut on mtx/digital sales of Activision titles. So yes, whilst this comparison is loose and missing context, you're wrong for suggesting that long term this could not spell a dramatic shift in market share dominance.

Don't forget, most of Bethesda's new games post acquisition, have not even been released yet. Same for Activision for some time. You have to look at these things in terms of the impact they may have 5-10+ years from now, not just today.
So, again, the problem isn't that it would be a monopoly it's who would have dominant market share. That's kind of exactly the point I was making.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Nauseating. They don't even have to say things like this. Why does MS feel the need to mollify Kotick?

Gross. I truly hope some good comes out of this for the sake of the employees, but this seems to indicate the publicly MS isn't going to take any kind of stand if/when more news releases over the next year.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Outside of ethical issues…because I'm aware and have been thinking about them all day…

BUT as a gamer dad this actually benefit me a lot.

My kid has been a Sony fan since he started playing games but as my favorite franchises have become Xbox exclusive, I've been a bit torn. We can really only afford two consoles in this house: one for me and one for the kid, but with him insisting we only play on PlayStation so we can play together and use group chat (most cross platform game chats don't work well for us). It's been fine but with Stalker and Elder Scrolls and Fallout being on Xbox I realized there could be a time when the two of us can't play together OR I have to let those franchises good.

Today my kid was like "how about we just skip the PS5 and get two Xboxes" and selfishly I've been grinning all day.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Microsoft is openly praising Bobby Kotick today for his "commitment to change".

They don't give a shit about actually trying to help the people at Acti-Blizz.
It's all smoke and mirrors man, trust me. Don't fall for it because it's strictly business right now to keep things professional. They pushed Bill Gates out for what he did so Bobby doesn't have long.

Oct 30, 2017
Love we will keep getting these posts all day, lol.
qnl31prpnyc61.jpg

"Microsoft just bought Activision. What?"

Oct 26, 2017
Indies sure. Good multiplatform AAA? Wasteland. Has been for nigh on a decade. That's the only reason I'm against this deal, Activision's output sucks. I'd rather it just slowly died instead of MS saving it.

Now that CoD moves to Xbox however, Sony needs to make a competitor, or put in that much more effort in its existing IP that people are willing to ignore CoD on the rival platform. Maybe a new Killzone or MAG. But now with a ton of extra money. If that succeeds, MS will have to innovate CoD into something else to breathe new life into it like they did with Halo Infinite. This pressure isn't there for multiplatform AAA, but is there for platform holders.
Well that'll kinda come down to taste but a lot of the games I like are or became multiplatform, even if a lot of that is honestly just indies

Not necessarily. I mean, Nintendo makes a lot of big games but that hasn't necessarily prompted the other 2 to follow suit in their direction, aside from a few experiments here and there, for example. Plus, for multiplatform games, you're also competing against other 3rd party games, many of which aim for the same sort of market, like Battlefield, Halo, Fortnite, etc. They're more so complacent because they've become too huge and established, which I think would happen irregardless of exclusivity or not

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
First they came for Fallout and Elder Scrolls. Now they come for the Dudebro shooter crowds? How can you compete against that.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
As a blizzard fan I'm happy because this acquisition increases the chance that they clean house with Blizz's management. As a game pass subscriber I'm happy for obvious reasons. As someone who plays videogames ... well, Microsoft-acquired studios have been killing it. The working conditions are good, the pay is good, the games are good, devs seem to be happy. I guess consolidation in a general sense could be considered "bad" but with this specific publisher I'm not really seeing many negatives.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Add me to the "What." pile. I did a double take when I read about it a few hours earlier.
Well, wait and see how it goes, but I'm concerned about the future of the employees.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
In the end, it's all business. None of these companies including Microsoft gives a rat's ass about having a safe work culture. These companies are too big to fail.

I'm calling BS on this.

Fortune 500 companies have a vested interest in safe work culture. And it may not even be for the reasons you'd imagine.

Bottom line is they want to avoid lawsuits and bad PR at all costs. Over the past years those who haven't already have been putting up guardrails to avoid a company work culture as found in ABK. Be that in the form of mandatory annual workplace harassment training, expanded internal HR departments with broadening services, etc.

So in the end big companies are cracking down on litigious work culture environments. They're doing it for the wrong reasons (their own bottom line), but they are doing it regardless.

I'm part of this culture and am not fooled that it's "family looking out for everyone in the office", but either way there has been an appreciable change in work culture safety over the past decade regardless of motivations from the top.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
If you include the revenue that Activision made last year ($8.1bn) as well as the projected revenue for Zenimax (around $1.5bn to $2.2bn), that would take Xbox's revenue to $25.3bn. PlayStation revenue last year was $25.04bn, a portion of that will be from the 30% store cut on mtx/digital sales of Activision titles. So yes, whilst this comparison is loose and missing context, you're wrong for suggesting that long term this could not spell a dramatic shift in market share dominance.

Don't forget, most of Bethesda's new games post acquisition, have not even been released yet. Same for Activision for some time. You have to look at these things in terms of the impact they may have 5-10+ years from now, not just today.
Are people upset that Sony might get less revenue in the future or that Microsoft might one day be in the position Sony is in right now where they become the leader in revenue? Neither case points to a monopoly.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't matter. That affects Nintendo more than MS. For all intents and purposes their biggest franchises are looked upon as Sony exclusives anyway.

Pretty much. Could prompt MS to also respond by buying someone else just to show they will respond to any buy out retaliation, lol. This is not a great situation for Sony any way you slice it.

You know what's now SUPER wierd about all of this?

If Microsoft continues to make COD titles for PlayStation, think about what that means for future generations. Sony would be sending Microsoft early dev kits and giving them insight into how they are architecting their next console. That's….that's something I think Sony will not be thrilled about doing. That's almost like legal corporate espionage
Great. Awesome. But, it's okay, because game pass & good guy Phil😑🥴

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Activision Blizzard has an EBITDA of ~3.5bn, so this deal places the valuation at 20x EBITDA. Or about 26x net profit. Wonder how this compares to other gaming acquisitions, though I guess there hasn't been anything of this size. The value is close to their market cap in early 2021, so probably a very good get for MS without having to pay premium on top considering Activision's profitability is on the rise.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
For now, Sony is far from being hurt. Microsoft shifted from being a weak competitor to a strong one, but as far as we can't tell it's not really affecting Sony's bottom line.
They should be fine. Sony is investing HEAVILY into 1st party. If you own that system you are in good shape even if they don't believe in a day 1 subscription model.

sakkeke

Oct 16, 2021
Finland
I can't comprehend this. This is just... I'm speechless and thunderstruck. The biggest deal in the gaming industry of all time, out of nowhere.

ornery

Nov 15, 2017
Buying a game system is a bit of a gamble, unfortunately. Games that you were counting on can turn out to be duds, cancelled, or tied to another platform via an exclusivity deal.

that's why Gamepass and cloud is so important. Once you remove the $600 box (a lot of money for most consumers) from the equation then this kind of thing that has plagued gaming since day one is gone.
Thats now how it works, man. Again, why is it a bad thing to have options? I shouldn't have to be tied to a specific ecosystem to enjoy specific content

Its all anti-consumer

Oct 25, 2017
It's all smoke and mirrors man, trust me. Don't fall for it because it's strictly business right now to keep things professional. They pushed Bill Gates out for what he did so Bobby doesn't have long.

Sitting here praising that vile asshole for being an absolute dick publicly does not sit well with me. I don't care what they do later right now. I'll believe the rest when I see it.

tris20

Aug 25, 2020
Funny, I remember a time when MS was laughed at for just being a dudebro shooter platform.
They only make that image better.

But even I don't like there games.
This isn't good for the industry. Too big isn't good.

And ms can do this because they have so much money. 70 bil is like a fart for them. If they can only use the money money make from xbox it isn't as much.

Sony needs to step up big time.

Hidden One

Oct 26, 2017
❔❔❔
The best thing that can come from this is if Phil bushes SBMM. That's all I want.

oh and stop the yearly releases…but most importantly BUSH SBMM..

Status
Not open for further replies.