• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryo4321

Nov 20, 2017
Pretty huge acquisition, Microsoft finally may have more than 1 franchise worth playing for me and I may actually have a reason to keep gamepass after planning to cancel due to not getting much worth out of it overall with lack of big games for me to play.

Also have to assume Bobby won't be able to stick around too long with his scandals and hopefully Microsoft owning them stops the constant firings and shit as well as making it a better place for employees overall.

I think valve is mostly owned by gabe and is a private company on top, only way they can buy them is if he wants to sell it.
I can't see it happening. But imagine a Sony owned valve with a gaming focused desktop Linux OS. Would be both ballsy and Interesting. Not a chance it would happen though I think.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because even by the most basic definition of the word, Microsoft isn't there. Their gaming revenue is still smaller than Tencent and Sony with this purchase. Just because a company can acquire many companies doesn't mean it's a monopoly.
They may not make as much but they're shrinking the industry more and more as they take control of more IPs and Studios.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
People saying "well I don't play x anyway" are going to keep using that line until MS owns games people did want to play. You're lying to yourselves if you think this is good in any way, shape or form. Even in regards to Game Pass, you don't think MS is going to raise their subscription fee much more over time? They are setting people up to pay more because they will be the gatekeepers of all the games people want to play.

Oct 31, 2017

Um…

Sony pretty much did this to themselves by buying exclusives. How long until Sony stops being jerks and opens up to having gamepass on their platform?

None of the content that Sony "locked down" was restricted from eventually being released to Xbox. This simply takes franchises that were already On other ecosystems and restricts them.

This board is so weird: a pseudo-leftist board that cheers massive consolidation.

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
You don't think it's bad that millions of gamers who recently spent $500+ on a new PlayStation will be losing access to some of their favorite titles in the near future?

My friend keeps getting screwed. His favorite games are Fallout, Skyrim, and Call of Duty. He only plays Playstation. He bought a PS5 before the Bethesda news, said, "well, guess I won't be playing Starfield" after the news broke; I told him about COD this morning, and said "I guess I won't be playing Call of Duty anymore."

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017

61q9du.jpg

Justin

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, Washington
User Banned (2 Weeks) - Trolling & Attempted Thread Derailment
Sony really needs to lean hard into NFTs to combat Microsoft's market consolidation. It's a untapped market and they can be leaders in much the same way MS was years ahead with Gamepass.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Nobody looses access to anything, just like with Bethesda, everything that's already there stays, as will Warzone. New future titles will be exclusive tho.
Yeah so exactly what I said?

The new games no longer being able to be purchased by PlayStation owners in the future is still them losing access to their favorite franchises.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
will Microsoft be able to savage the good name and good will that ActiBizzard had years ago? It doesn't seem that the things will change soon enough in the eyes of the consumers and workers of the industry.

I've been mulling over whether a rebrand is on the cards, somewhere down the line.

most people don't know and don't care about the "good will and good name".

Whilst I think that's very true, I think it gives Microsoft more positives to a rebrand, not fewer.

The general public only know or care about the IPs, so they won't care if the Activision Blizzard name disappears.

Which leaves only the gamers who might care - but given they know the recent reputation is a trash fire, I can't see many being upset by it these days. Even employees might welcome some disassociation from the past.

Assuming they do it after making more substantive and meaningful changes, it would seem like putting a bow on top. Microsoft can clean up the execs, restructure things, and finish by giving it a new name.

I imagine I'm missing some possible contractual items or underestimating the brand value, however. Or they might just decide the meaningful changes are enough, and try to rehabilitate a past icon.

Would welcome more opinions / insight.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
You don't think it's bad that millions of gamers who recently spent $500+ on a new PlayStation will be losing access to some of their favorite titles in the near future?
You didn't sign a contract with activision and blizzard that their games are on PS5

this is what it is

there are a ton of ps5 players who need to evaluate whether or not an Xbox is worth their money

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
And I'm addition to the silly claim that consolidation is good for consumers, now we blame the competition for securing one year exclusivity deals.

Why do we need to add blame anywhere? Most of us just care if the end product is good. For a long time now Playstation was the default platform for many, with that success came power to make deals more easily that often times was not in the best interest of consumers. So again I ask, why is there any blame being passed around when this industry has never really been about the consumer to begin with? Microsoft has the means financially to make them more competitive, just like how Sony had it with mere marketshare.

bobmonkey

Jan 19, 2021
"Sure the industry is being sucked into a giant monopoly black hole but at least I can get COD for free!"
Microsoft still fall short of matching Tencent and Sony after this purchase is complete, it's not even close to a monopoly at this point.

I understand the anger / worry / whatever emotion people feel at this time, but, I'd honestly prefer Microsoft at the helm of Activision Blizzard over current leadership. At least gamers will still have the ability to play new Activision Blizzard games on PC, Xbox or Cloud.

Point being, it's not all doom and gloom.

Oct 28, 2017
People saying "well I don't play x anyway" are going to keep using that line until MS owns games people did want to play. You're lying to yourselves if you think this is good in any way, shape or form. Even in regards to Game Pass, you don't think MS is going to raise their subscription fee much more over time? They are setting people up to pay more because they will be the gatekeepers of all the games people want to play.

When the "First they came...." argument is made for games, and it kinda even makes sense. That's when things start to get scary.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
They may not make as much but they're shrinking the industry more and more as they take control of more IPs and Studios.
Market consolidation isn't a monopoly either. If Microsoft were to attempt to buy Nintendo or Sony, you could argue the case for anti-trust in shrinking the competition to 2 console platforms vs 3.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
This level of consolidation is very, very bad for the industry even if it gets a singular person like Kotick out of it.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
This is a giant acquisition and hopefully work environment at ABK can improve after the merge is done and Kotick leaves (with a huge huge bonus >:( )

Off topic: if a $70B acquisition is a thing, how long until Valve is acquired? They can't be worth more than that, no? Nintendo should be safe because Japan will probably cry foul if a foreigner company tries to buy them.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Short of merging with Nintendo, I don't see how Sony can match the magnitude of this move.

I don't know if the ultimate result of what Microsoft are doing will be themselves and Sony both selling their own games and subscription services on each consoles, or how long it would take to get to that point

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Would barely move the needle compared to COD alone.

This feels like a deal that forces Sony from "we should look into Square or Capcom" — which is where they already had to be prior to this — into "what money do we need to move around to make it Square AND Capcom". Which is terrible, but no way this doesn't become an arms race. And even then, both of those would be a smaller deal than Activision Blizzard, but Sony can't afford that kind of deal

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
As an owner of a PS5 and an XSX, with a Game Pass subscription: This fucking sucks, and anyone cheering this is being supremely stupid.
amen....that's all I'll say on it.

Unless MS announced the games will simply debut on Gamepass and be exclusive for a window period like movies rights, this sucks. It's literally just taking away games, nothing new/more content is being created.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, that's part of life. Would be different if Sony Studios would stop making games on Playstation, obviously. But third-party developers doesn't owe you shit when it comes to video games availability.

Status
Not open for further replies.