• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
Wow.. this is insane. I also forgot KING was part of them... is KING as big as they used to be? That might be the secret big time get in all this if so

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
I don't think they are spending $70bn just to make some side money from third party releases.

This acquisition isn't meant to make money like that. It's supposed to buy Microsoft more control over the industry.
Activision Blizzard has a yearly profit of between 500 and 700 million.

Even if they keep that up or extend that (which is pretty much impossible when you decide to limit your audience) it would take them like half a century to make back their 70 billion.

So this is not an acquisition meant to increase MS profits, but rather one meant to extend monopolistic control over this industry.

With Metaverses on the horizon, I think Microsoft realizes that Gaming is the key to the Metaverse idea.
By controlling the gaming industry you control the tool that lets you comprehensively monetize people's lives by gamifying all aspects of it: Work, social, recreational.

There are only two relevant metrics from a business perspective: Engagement and monetization.

Anyone can monetize, but Zuckerbergs ridiculed Metaverse Meeting nonsense or the internet's reaction to stuff like Metaverse marriages clearly show that in order to engage people constantly you need to apply all the expertise of the gaming industry.
Metaverses will need to compete with the best games out there on a visual and mechanical level at least. They will essentially be games.

Neither Google nor Facebook nor Apple has that kind of expertise, so I think Microsoft is trying to make sure that they have their thumb on it.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
They won't stop publishing on Sony platforms. They won't leave all that money on the floor. Most likely the timed exclusivity that PS enjoys now goes to Xbox/PC and a 6 month wait for PS.

Why are people doing this to themselves again?

This same thing was being said about Elder Scrolls and Fallout, despite it being completely illogical.

They will unquestionably stop publishing on Sony platforms. Call of Duty will be exclusive to Xbox and PC within the next couple years.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
They are going to have fun milking this story over and over again without a clear statement just like they did with Bethesda, right ?
One gotta love MS transparency.
Of course and based on the amount of talk it generated last time Microsoft are probably best served keeping their mouth shut so that they can drop the hammer when they want. The hammer will either be exclusivity or gamepass on playstation consoles.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
Why make exclusives when you can buy them

Looking at the brightside, MS will finally use Activision's IPs

This is what we must do for more crash and spyro

bob1001

▲ Legend ▲
May 7, 2020
How is Overwatch not popular?
Or Crash bandicoot
They're popular, they're not devastating-for-Sony's-bank-account popular. They could live without them, CoD is on another level. There's a good chance 10+ million people would go for Xbox over Playstation if CoD is exclusive. None of their other IP has that pull.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
So, I can see COD being a Minecraft equivalent in terms of remaining multiplatform. It's simply too big to make exclusive. However, it can go in Game Pass whilst other platforms tout it for full price. So many games, though. The talent pool for Xbox first party would be incomprehensible if this deal was done.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Yeah, but this can/will happen whether or not Microsoft owns Activision. The gaming industry is so vast - a single publisher acquisition like this isn't going to make or break it.

True, but it makes it harder to stay out of MS way if you wanted to. And with the amount of IP they will own now, they will probably own at least one you care about and don't want to see fail.

But even if the market will be swallowed up now by the remaining companies - In the end there will always be Indie devs.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Try not to fool yourself with those though. We have seen how all games from Bethesda become exclusive.
Which make sense.
They haven't. The difference between Starfield and Warzone is there is an established population to the game that is needed to keep that game a massive hit. Microsoft doesn't need to keep the multiplayer games off of the PlayStation to convert gamers. Gamepass is going to to that for them

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why on earth would you cut off the majority of your playerbase that you make more money (in the billions) selling MTX to than selling a few more Xboxes?? The actual profit from selling a console is pretty low. No way they cut off that gravytrain anytime soon.

Bethesda games are a completely different animal than CoD. For one, they are mostly single-player.
XCloud = Android and iOS, what's PlayStation in the face of that?

iceatcs

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think I want to see it in future. I want more open, not more close box.

Microsoft is really scary of Metaverse.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I would hate this too. I don't want the industry to consolidate, but I'm also not sure if Sony can afford Take Two. I imagine the way Sony will consolidate is getting console exclusives. To quote the old Final Bosman joke "exclusively NOT on Xbox". I could see Bioshock and the next Resident Evil being PlayStation exclusive.

They can. They have billions in the bank and access to large lines of credit should they need to go that route.

Take Two also gives them 2K, which has Bioshock, NBA 2K, Borderlands, and a few others.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Yeah that would work for cloud gaming but that has widely varying quality and latency. I feel like most of the (hardcore) market isn't really interested in that.

I could see MS being perfectly fine with Game Pass getting most of its users from Playstation and Switch. They've been telegraphing this for the last couple years saying how they would love to offer their games on other platforms as long as they are allowed to do so through the subscription.

Obviously, Sony and Nintendo don't want to have GP. All the third party games on the GP mean they'll lose a lot of the 30% cut they get from third party software but after THIS DEAL.......it might be best for them to go ahead and work out some agreeable terms with MS. I expect MS to absolutely play as hard as possible since there's no way to recover that sunk cost unless your subscription is available on basically every platform.

Interesting times, I would guess that if what I'm saying happens, it'll be Nintendo that works out an agreement first since a lot of the Game Pass games would need to be cloud versions anyways so this would be the only way they get "ports".

They're playing the long game. Remember Netflix started with mailing DVDs to people. The infrastructure will be there eventually, maybe not next year, but likely by the time Rockstar releases its next main game lol

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why on earth would you cut off the majority of your playerbase that you make more money (in the billions) selling MTX to than selling a few more Xboxes?? The actual profit from selling a console is pretty low. No way they cut off that gravytrain anytime soon.
Getting people spending their third party money on Xbox for that sweet, sweet 30% > selling one particular game series on a competitor's console. Microsoft wants you in their closed garden, and they're happy to take some short term losses in the hopes of achieving longer term gains.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
i woke up to this news via the KazHiraiCEO tweet lmaooooooo

this is gross especially if they really aren't getting rid of Kotick.

bring back starcraft you bastards

200.gif

what in the

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
They haven't. The difference between Starfield and Warzone is there is an established population to the game that is needed to keep that game a massive hit. Microsoft doesn't need to keep the multiplayer games off of the PlayStation to convert gamers. Gamepass is going to to that for them
I think when people are saying "COD will be exclusive" they mean the new games, not Warzone.

Mr Eric

Oct 28, 2017
Eyeroll at all the posts predicting CoD will stay on Playstation.
Y'all in denial. Microsoft isn't paying 70bn to keep releasing their games on Sony's platform.

I was 100% sure just after the announcement that all Bethesda games were going exclusive.

But COD ? Not sure at all. I would put it in the same category than Minecraft and it would stay multiplat.

Everything else will be Xbox + PC only.

infinityBCRT

Nov 1, 2017
I don't think Call of Duty will go exclusive. Like Minecraft, it's a cultural phenomenon and it will make the most money being on everything. Microsoft priority is not selling consoles anymore, it's making money.
I think their priority is becoming the default gaming service. Everyone has a Netflix sub. They want everyone to have a Game Pass sub as well.

bronxct1

Aug 20, 2020
Just wanted to put this out there, this acquisition makes MS the 3rd largest gaming company as they mention in their press release.

Rayasab

Banned
Apr 12, 2021
Hopefully, the whole COD catalog join GP, also Crash 5. Spyro 2 and Sekiro 2 are a possibility now

strikeselect

Oct 27, 2017
COD is NOT going exclusive. This is different from the Bethesda deal. It's a monstrous yearly release, not a once every 5 years thing like with Starfield. COD is synonymous with video games — it's too big of a game to make exclusive, even console exclusive. I'm an Xbot so I'm not being biased saying that.

lol

this is a huge get for MS. CoD exclusive to XBOX holy shit

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
What the fuck? Microsoft straight up buying the entire console division at this rate. EA and Ubisoft next?

Status
Not open for further replies.