• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamie

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I love how that first page was exactly my thought upon seeing the news "what the actual fuck"

Going to read the rest of the thread but this is insane.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They didn't make Minecraft exclusive? That would be stupid to make Call of Duty exclusive lol.
They're making Bethesda games exclusive. Some of y'all really on some next level shit if you think they're not gonna lock this down. Minecraft and what, Ori are the only ones that MS hasn't locked completely down? Don't be obtuse.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
if you think spending 70B to keep Call of Duty multi platform you are delusional

Why on earth would you cut off the majority of your playerbase that you make more money (in the billions) selling MTX to than selling a few more Xboxes?? The actual profit from selling a console is pretty low. No way they cut off that gravytrain anytime soon.

They're making Bethesda games exclusive. Some of y'all really on some next level shit if you think they're not gonna lock this down. Minecraft and what, Ori are the only ones that MS hasn't locked completely down? Don't be obtuse.

Bethesda games are a completely different animal than CoD. For one, they are mostly single-player.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
We only have Series consoles at home and I sub to Game Pass, and right now even I am a little concerned this was just too big of a purchase for Microsoft. Bethesda I sort of get, but this... I dunno man. It makes me a little uncomfortable

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck off with that. Jesus Christ. This is fucked on so many levels, ethically and morally with all Activison's shit going on. Now a massive third party is first party; that's monopoly shit.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, so you think all of that is *more* likely to happen by consolidating into any even LARGER organization that will surely introduce more layers of bureaucracy and even more degrees of separation between authority and accountability? Ok then.
Please if you believe that's why ActiBlizz was the way it was I have a bridge to sell you.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile on PC

survivor1.gif

MS paid 70 billion to put Crash 4 and Tony on Steam.

Thank you, Big Daddy Phil.

E.Balboa

Oct 30, 2017
Florianópolis, Brazil
Am I the only one who thinks EA would be a far better buy? It's like half the price and in terms of franchises and IPs and all that.. Codies and sports games and racing and characters and smaller studios.. ultimate team prints money as well, EA also has mobile studios..

Not sure, but I feel EA would be more inline with MS than Acti.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
This is not the same. At all.

These mergers didn't lead to console exclusivity. Anything purchased by MS will.

these companies did it due to increasing budgets and the need to have ever higher/growing profits. especially when the risk of hd development hit hard, this brought about more consolidation. since then, budgets and need for higher sales to make back those budgets have only gone up. instead of bringing the temperature down and developing with smaller budgets and working within means, publishers sought the next cultural blockbuster with every release and this is the future of that timeline. i mean, after third-parties merge, buy each other out, or die, what is there left to do?

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Literally the only way they'll ever beat FFXIV at this rate.

Ehhhh, all they need is to release some actual quality content, which they haven't done in 2 expansions. Shadowlands which is absolute trash has still sold almost 4 million copies, WoW is still close enough to FF 14 to regain their position if they would get their heads out of their asses. This might be the only good thing that comes from this acquisition in my opinion.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
That's a huge acquisition, potentially too big and subject to more stringent legal approval. Didn't expect it, but I can see it working out in the years to come. I hope they take a more hands-on involvement to right the company and fit with the rest of the Xbox ethos. I wouldn't be surprised if Rod Ferguson takes on a higher role now that he's back with MSFT

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh I think they have an array of prestige content that give them an alternate lane. Microsoft probably becomes the dominant platform in the US and UK but I think globally Sony are fine.

Nah, their prestige content will continue to take longer and longer to release and it's already too homogenised.

As far as I'm concerned Xbox is the industry leader now and this is before they buy more like Sega.

Oct 28, 2017
This is absolutely terrible for the industry if all these games become Xbox Exclusive.

And I say that as the Switch and Xbox are my primary systems.

Embiid

Feb 20, 2021
COD is NOT going exclusive. This is different from the Bethesda deal. It's a monstrous yearly release, not a once every 5 years thing like with Starfield. COD is synonymous with video games — it's too big of a game to make exclusive, even console exclusive. I'm an Xbot so I'm not being biased saying that.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. Seems very expensive.

I'm sure some of it goes to Kotick and co.'s golden parachute or what have you, but a 50% premium to buy the company seems...kinda absurd, given the stock's performance recently, the accusations, and everything looking like it wasn't going to get better anytime soon.

Honestly, this kinda reminds me of the transition from having MS excel/word/powerpoint shift from being a product/license you bought into a 'subscription' service.....which left a bad taste in my mouth.

MizziPizzi

Feb 14, 2019
Sweden
I don't really know what to think about this..I mean I'm an Xbox owner and in line for a PS5 when it's available. So I won't be missing out on anything but I still don't really like this direction!

This gen will really put the PlayStation trademark to the test! Because MS are on a roll and no publisher is safe, they just bought a company worth half the market cap of the entirety of Sony, no publisher is of limits for them :o

Bill Gaitas

Oct 25, 2017
Really thrilled that a console manufacturer that have never offcially released their consoles or make their online services available in my country is buying up nearly all the major AAA publisher, just great.
This is actually a good point and a disappointing one. Microsoft needs to do better and support more regions. Like, there are even EU countries that don't have Game Pass support, what the fuck is up with that.

njean777

Jan 2, 2020
Wonder if this means Diablo 4 isn't coming out on PS? Would suck if it doesn't as I don't want to buy a series x or get a pc.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I find it interesting how many people are fine with monopoly :P

I guess it's quite good for some gamers, but at the other hand you are forcing Bethesda / Activision console game fans to buy your product to play your favourite series you always had on PlayStation. By "supporting those communities" Microsoft probably means things like Warzone staying on PlayStation. I don't believe that every new CoD will also launch on PS.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not a big loss for me but this is fucking crazy. I still stand by my belief MS is all about taking away from Sony and Nintendo then actually building a quality first party team.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Funnily enough, the one set of gamers this could be good for is those on the PC. All of Activision's recent output was exclusive to their launcher AND always-online, even single-player stuff. MS will likely change that and probably put Call of Duty and other games back on Steam.
This is the outcome I'm hoping for now. Though the Bethesda launcher is still alive, and I don't know why.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
Microsoft + ActiBlizzard together still makes less revenue yearly than Sony (although if you subtract whatever Sony makes off AB, it might get closer). And together MS and Sony are probably less than half of the market. Console market that is. If you take the games market, a small fraction.

So, not by a humongous long shot.
There are thousands of game studios, not even in the console market they are even close to be a monopoly.

idk why people insist on this

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
Why on earth would you cut off the majority of your playerbase that you make more money (in the billions) selling MTX to than selling a few more Xboxes?? The actual profit from selling a console is pretty low. No way they cut off that gravytrain anytime soon.
Agreed. COD is all about the large player base. Cutting off most of the planet from the game would be a bad, money losing move.

Status
Not open for further replies.