• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
The only counter Sony can do to as big as Microsoft have done is to buy Take Two just for Grand Theft Auto alone.
I would hate this too. I don't want the industry to consolidate, but I'm also not sure if Sony can afford Take Two. I imagine the way Sony will consolidate is getting console exclusives. To quote the old Final Bosman joke "exclusively NOT on Xbox". I could see Bioshock and the next Resident Evil being PlayStation exclusive.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
This is all about CoD. The rest of their IP is either PC focused or not that popular tbh. I don't see how Sony can react unless they go for Take Two plus some smaller third parties like Square and Capcom.

GTA, CoD and FIFA are the big 3, FIFA will probably not go exclusive because it's not 100% EA's decision so it's GTA or nothing. Sony makes the bulk of their cash from that 30% cut, this is devastating.

gta makes the most sense.

but mainly, microsoft is doing this for the age of streaming. sony was fighting microsoft for the living room. apple sidestepped that battle and put the all-in-one device in the pocket. sony and microsoft are still fighting for at-home experiences, but this means at-your-fingertips entertainment whether that's music, movies, or games (spotify's gotta be on someone's radar by now).

to that effect, sony is way behind. they are going to be even further behind now if that's actually where the industry ends up.

At this point, it seems the only strategy they found to compete with Sony and Nintendo is to buy everyone until no one is left.
And the worse part about this is that it could work.
That's just awesome/s. Can't wait for gaming to be akin to the unofficial monopolies that is windows & nvidia. But it will be okay, because free* video games…. & a service that will definitely not go up in price/s.

Seriously? I just want the last of us 3 & horizon 3 & than I can leave… I have no desire to be involved in whatever Disney shit Microsoft is trying to pull, so I just want those two games and than I'm good on playing the sims for rest of my days & watching the industry just slowly die.

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
I can confirm he is.
Majornelson righ now:

CluelessRelievedIndri-size_restricted.gif

IvanSlavkov

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria

Microsoft to acquire Activision Blizzard to bring the joy and community of gaming to everyone, across every device

Bring it to everyone, except playstation and Nintendo players, what a load of shit.

Kotick staying in charge as well. Its a lose lose situation.

I agree on both counts. Basically, MS are buying publishers, so games that have been multiplatform will no longer be. Fuck em, I'll abuse the free GP on PC.

MeBecomingI

Oct 27, 2017
This forum loves to poo-poo the idea of anyone else acquiring big publishers because of the boogeyman of "consolidation." Well, it's here, and you're all wanting Sony and Nintendo to unilaterally disarm to keep it from happening. It's happening, and MS is the only one doing it. Time to not poo-poo the idea of others doing it to compete.

Yikes. That is an awful, awful take.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
I wonder if Overwatch 2 gets scrapped and they just start again?
No chance. That game is staying multi platform and will be releasing this year. The full deal of this sale isn't happening for a full year and a half. Until then, games already in the pipeline will continue

Shaz12567

Jun 7, 2021
There is no way they are keeping call of duty an exclusive. Approx. 40% of Vanguard sales were on PS. Surely they won't give up on those?

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
Unfortunately this will almost certainly be his golden parachute out of there. So he'll be exiting the company for sure but not before getting a shitload of money. Even if discussions were taking place long before the recent investigation the recent events around Activision is probably what truly opened them up to the idea of being acquired.
Yeah, he'll also likely suffer no consequences for any of his actions. That's another ghoulish element to these powerful abusers. All that ever changes is that we now KNOW they are abusers. They still get to keep trucking along.

Still, I can dream.

Haruko

Oct 25, 2017
news.microsoft.com

Microsoft to acquire Activision Blizzard to bring the joy and community of gaming to everyone, across every device - Stories

Legendary games, immersive interactive entertainment and publishing expertise accelerate growth in Microsoft’s Gaming business across mobile, PC, console and cloud. REDMOND, Wash. and Santa Monica, Calif. – Jan. 18, 2022 – With three billion people actively playing games today, and fueled by a...

the actual PR here says:

Bobby Kotick will continue to serve as CEO of Activision Blizzard, and he and his team will maintain their focus on driving efforts to further strengthen the company's culture and accelerate business growth. Once the deal closes, the Activision Blizzard business will report to Phil Spencer, CEO, Microsoft Gaming.

if he isn't shitcanned the moment he reports to Phil, i'll be upset

sidephasing

Dec 17, 2021
part of the deal with other companies they acquired was that they would leave them alone and let them do their thing, obviously the working conditions will be better but would this mean structural change in terms of less micro transactions and less focus on cod?

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's just awesome/s. Can't wait for gaming to be akin to the unofficial monopolies that is windows & nvidia. But it will be okay, because free* video games…. & a service that will definitely not go up in price/s.

Seriously? I just want the last of us 3 & horizon 3 & than I can leave… I have no desire to be involved in whatever Disney shit Microsoft is trying to pull, so I just want those two games and than I'm good on playing the sims for rest of my days & watching the industry just slowly die.

My man, lots of good games are made outside of the companies MS now own.

Gwendly_

May 27, 2020
I don't really care about any of the IPs that Activision Blizzard held, but man is this ever bad for the industry in general. The industry needs more big publishers on all platforms not fewer. I don't even mind Microsoft buying studios , but if they do I'd prefer they buy struggling studios to make sure they don't go under. Activision was struggling PR wise, but financially that wasn't exactly true.

Very disappointing.

(And for the record, I would feel the same way if Sony or Nintendo acquired them and I felt the same way about Zenimax too when they were aquired..)

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
One of the things this communicates to me is that MS and Sony aren't playing the same ball game.

I don't think Satya and Phil are even that bothered about what Sony's doing. They're looking at Tencent.

If Sony is really serious about taking on MS in the long term in the console space they need to be looking at Take 2/Square.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why such a huge premium in the stock price versus purchase price?

MS is obviously trying to force gamepass on Sony's platform (and/or just get a cut of more profits by being the publisher), but AB makes like...2 bil a year net profit?

CoD potential exclusivity is gonna do gangbusters for them, but a 35 year RoI is a loooong time.

Not sure how I feel about it, otherwise - this does start to look a little more like a big consolidation than I might be comfortable with.
Agreed. Seems very expensive.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For me as someone who doenst PC game and would rather stick to one console than blow 1000 on multiple every gen, this sucks. I imagine there are a lot of people like me out there. Others may be more willing to leave behind their library to jump ship to another platform but I'm not as keen.

I don't PC game either. I'm a PS only user. I don't plan on leaving my library behind, but nothing's stopping me from figuring out how to integrate a PC into my choices going forward.

And that's all assuming Sony and MS never figure out a way to get Gamepass on PlayStation itself.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
you can really tell which major video game company is from america. "if you can't beat them, buy out all their suppliers and competitors"

the american way

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
Have to wonder if/when the FTC steps in and makes this harder moving forward; though we all know they've been gutted. This is the biggest 'buying out the industry' move that's ever happened.

Oct 27, 2017
If I had to guess, I'd say they want to start selling TV sticks and controllers that'll allow you to play on Gamepass without owning a console or a PC. If they can truly become the Netflix of gaming, meaning getting to the really casual audience, they're golden.
Yeah that would work for cloud gaming but that has widely varying quality and latency. I feel like most of the (hardcore) market isn't really interested in that.

I could see MS being perfectly fine with Game Pass getting most of its users from Playstation and Switch. They've been telegraphing this for the last couple years saying how they would love to offer their games on other platforms as long as they are allowed to do so through the subscription.

Obviously, Sony and Nintendo don't want to have GP. All the third party games on the GP mean they'll lose a lot of the 30% cut they get from third party software but after THIS DEAL.......it might be best for them to go ahead and work out some agreeable terms with MS. I expect MS to absolutely play as hard as possible since there's no way to recover that sunk cost unless your subscription is available on basically every platform.

Interesting times, I would guess that if what I'm saying happens, it'll be Nintendo that works out an agreement first since a lot of the Game Pass games would need to be cloud versions anyways so this would be the only way they get "ports".

Status
Not open for further replies.