• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
Square Enix
Capcom
Sega

My Speculation is they'll definitely be acquired by Sony or Microsoft in the next 2 years

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know, when complaints were coming in to MS about their Gears, Halo, Forza cycle and wanting new franchises. I'm not certain that Microsoft really understood the assignment properly....

Honestly a legit shock. I'm not sure I'm super into this. At what point does MS legit just try and buy out the Playstation brand? If they have the money to drop on Activision/Blizzard?

that one would probably get blocked because it would essentially create a monopoly on the video game console space.

This acquisition doesnt really move the needle all that much, Sony and Tencent are still huge in the publishing realm. Microsoft barely catching up even after acquisition

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
Let's hope this means the death of the Blizzard Launcher on PC and all their games show up on Steam/ms store.

CrunchyFrog

Oct 28, 2017
That's an ip catalog that may attract some antitrust sniffing.

Anybody worried about platform exclusivity for existing franchises though, I don't think there's a chance in hell they do that with COD and the like. MS clearly see the writing on the wall that the real money is in software, not hardware. Gamepass is the prime example of this. They'll probably get some new exclusive ip out of AB to promote the Xbox brand, sure, but if you see how they've handled Minecraft that thing still comes to every platform under the sun.

That being said, they will DEFINITELY use that IP catalog to strong-arm Gamepass as the ubiquitous Netflix of gaming across as many platforms as possible.

Probably temporarily if that makes you feel better since its such a mega-merger, I don't see a scenario where he lasts more than a year after the ink is dry if not sooner. That said, to make you feel worse they will need a Brinks truck to carry our the cash he will make from all of this on his way out.

Also this

Last edited:

mho79

Oct 28, 2017
I'm seeing a lot of "consolidation is bad for the industry" but not a lot of why consolidation like this is bad.

ATVI was clearly a toxic company when running solo. Microsoft has shown that they're willing to be extremely consumer friendly. Where does the "consolidation is bad" come in?

No company is consumer friendly for the sake of being consumer friendly. It just happens that at the moment the company interest and the consumer interest are alike.
This can and will change

DeadlyVirus

Oct 29, 2017
PR speak. My huge company was bought up by another huge company and they too gushed about our CEO - even after they canned him. I'd wait to see what MS actually does.
Same think happen to me. My company was acquired by it's larger competitor. The C-level executives were out after 6 months.

CEOs hate to lose power

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
Microsoft's goal is to either get you to buy a Xbox or subscribe to Gamepass. Putting CoD on the PS5 accomplishes neither of those two things.

You also don't make any money by chopping off tens of millions of Playstation players, who otherwise drop serious money on expansions and MTX and what not. They might eventually go exclusive, but for this generation at least you don't abandon Playstation. It's bad business.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Ah, I see this is going to be another thread where people with no idea what the terms "Monopoly" or "Anti-trust" actually mean throw them around like confetti.

Anybody but the current ActiBlizz leadership running ActiBlizz is a good thing.

Edit: Oh, and it's also going to be another thread where people are convinced Microsoft just spent $70 billion to put out games on Playstation.

svnty6rs3

May 13, 2020
That doesn't get people onto Gamepass.
If they remove Call of Duty from PlayStation, another multiplayer game will take its place such as Apex and the sales / engagement with that franchise will tank. They would be stupid to do so. It 100% makes sense to get single player games exclusive. But a multiplayer focused game is silly.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
People were saying Arrogant Sony was back. And then that got replaced by VIOLENT SONY?

This is beyond AGGRESSIVE MICROSOFT. This is DEMONIC MICROSOFT WTF

Leaked photo of enhanced Phil Spencer:

4f9361c59323fa462f5ccd5174bd6142.jpg

MufausaThe3rd

Dec 1, 2017
Microsoft now owns the following IPs:

• Call of Duty
  • Diablo
  • World of Warcraft
  • Starcraft
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Guitar Hero
  • Tony Hawk Pro Skater
  • Fallout
  • Doom
  • Psychonauts
  • Elder Scrolls
  • Prey
  • Quake
  • Wolfenstein
  • Dishonored
  • Minecraft

Like what the actual fuck.

Don't forget these too:

Candy Crush, Spyro/Skylanders, Overwatch, Hearthstone, Pitfall, Prototype, and Sekiro (IP - even though From Software developed it)

MeBecomingI

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this is fucking pathetic. Fuck this. Just extreme industry consolidation.

How this shit isn't scrutinized more is beyond me. The gaming industry is fucked. Absolutely no by one should be happy with this.

Bethesda was one thing but this is on a whole nother level.

Yoshi88

Oct 26, 2017
I trust companies that have had console gaming in their DNA for decades and have an active dialogue with the gaming community versus these faceless companies that have no connection to the enthusiast gaming world.

I mean, this kind of quick swing from

"we like to nurture new 1st party studios, create new experiences and convince by our passion for gaming"

to

"we're just buying not only studios but the biggest publisher conglomerates and competition left and right"

feels very much more like a faceless company with no connection to the enthusiasts.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
is Call of Duty big enough like minecraft to keep multiplatform to not piss off fans, or do they go 'fuck it' and bring it Xbox/PC exclusive?

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Give Kottick the boot. Ideally from the top of the building
Unfortunately this will almost certainly be his golden parachute out of there. So he'll be exiting the company for sure but not before getting a shitload of money. Even if discussions were taking place long before the recent investigation the recent events around Activision is probably what truly opened them up to the idea of being acquired.

zuf

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Call of Duty will go exclusive. Like Minecraft, it's a cultural phenomenon and it will make the most money being on everything. Microsoft priority is not selling consoles anymore, it's making money.
Isn't that what people said after the Bethesda acquisition and it's not happening?

I don't think they are spending $70bn just to make some side money from third party releases.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
No company is cosumer friendly for the sake of being consumer friendly. It just happens that at the moment the company interest and the consumer interest are alike.
This can and will change
I don't think it can given Microsoft's track record and doubling down on this. They would take massive, massive good will hits if they reversed policies on Game Pass or tripled the price, or whatever. I don't get what scary unknown reality people are so afraid of by this single acquisition.

valinthyne

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Phil you just make sure THPS 3+4, more Crash, and more Spyro happens and we'll all promise to look the other way when it comes to antitrust/monopoly shit. Ok?

MadZero

Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit!

What next MS buying Nintendo?! (they're similarly valued to Acti-Blizz)

Lets see what happens to the stocks now!

RavenH2

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I don't like big consolidations, niether exclusivity bullshit (I still wish bethesda games remained multiplatform and hope Acti's future games as well), but I sincerely hope this gives all Acti workers a good chance for a better, more free, creative and safe enviroment to work.

We couldn't play a single game without the sweat, love and tears that often go unnoticed from developers. I don't know how MS work culture will impact the many Activision Studios, but I hope for the best.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
As a self proclaimed Xbot for lack of any way to put it, my initial reaction was "Could you not?"
I can only hope that they can do a gut job, and I doubt they'd say they're going to cut Kotick before the deal is a deal, but like... will they? They have to hear the screams, and see the writing on the wall. I already don't play any of their games, but this is a huge acquisition.

I dunno. So many caveats.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
This is one of the biggest company acquisitions in the history of the world, and it's a gaming company. Didn't see that coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.