• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
I'm seeing a lot of "consolidation is bad for the industry" but not a lot of why consolidation like this is bad.

ATVI was clearly a toxic company when running solo. Microsoft has shown that they're willing to be extremely consumer friendly. Where does the "consolidation is bad" come in?

Jul 7, 2021
I'm happy cause this means we might actually see Warcraft 4 and StarCraft 3 at some point, and that they might actually be good games as Microsoft is willing to create games that are PC-focused first and foremost.

I guess this means no Diablo for Playstation as well? Man...

Oh wait this also means we might see Blizzard games on Steam, right?! Woot! the icing on the cake.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
I think Call of Duty may be a Minecraft situation. With the staggering amount of money it brings in across all platforms and mobile, they'll probably keep that franchise specifically multiplatform, but still be day one Game Pass, of course. Though ultimately the majority of that money is likely coming from mobile, so I could see them keeping it Xbox, PC, and mobile exclusive and PlayStation be tossed into the wind.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is the biggest gaming-related news since Microsoft entered the console making business in 2001.
I think Call of Duty may be a Minecraft situation. With the staggering amount of money it brings in across all platforms and mobile, they'll probably keep that franchise specifically multiplatform, but still be day one Game Pass, of course. Though ultimately the majority of that money is likely coming from mobile, so I could see them keeping it Xbox, PC, and mobile exclusive and PlayStation be tossed into the wind.
I think they will use exclusive content incentives and "free" on Game Pass as their main draws and keep the money flowing on Playstation.

Purdy

Oct 27, 2017
This is getting alarmingly bad for the industry, something like EA next could be awful for Sony if it were to happen.

I wonder how much of this is attributed to how bungled the Xbox One launch and sales were. Something that was celebrated by many on neogaf at launch and continued here until Spencer began to change feelings. Tbh even still the lack lustre Xbox exclusive offerings probably influenced it as well, hard to believe how bad Xbox One was for the majority of its existence

Aardvarken

Dec 28, 2019
All these big gaming IP under one roof is just a monopoly nightmare. I personally hope it gets stopped for antitrust reasons, but who am I kidding. They are 100% getting away with it lol.

MS vision seems simple; either pay up to play our games or... Don't play games because there will be nothing left!

TJG662

Oct 25, 2017
California
This will force Sony to answer in some way. I think it has no effect on nintendo they just don't care. I can see Microsoft keeping most of these games multi platform. In the end they are trying to get everyone in there eco system some way or another. With the direction act/bliz was going I'm not mad about this.

Alderade

Oct 27, 2017
There is content that Sony paid money to guarantee it stays on their console for multiplatform releases. And furthermore, there is no indication that they wouldn't treat COD like they treat Minecraft- if anything it helps them go towards their idea of a console-on-a-USB-stick concept. Lowering the barrier of entry is a good thing.
Like I said on the short time it's good news for us but in 10 years we will regret it.

svnty6rs3

May 13, 2020
Warzone will probably remain multiplatform. But like with Bethesda, MS is not buying ActiBlizzard to make games for their competitors.
This isn't about the short term "Well, CoD will sell less in 2024" thinking. It's "Well, CoD has a massive fanbase who will need to come to us if they want to continue to play it."

There's a huge group of people who buy nothing but Fifa and CoD for their consoles and they'll be buying Xboxes now.
They buy Call of Duty for the multiplayer. You're gonna just cut off the largest chunk of your multiplayer fanbase? A lot less people care about regular Call of Duty multiplayer anymore now that Warzone is a thing.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
This news sucks for people in countries without any Xbox presence. These countries also happen to be places where PC components are ridiculously expensive.

ChaosZeroX

Oct 26, 2017
i

Lol they are so far from accomplishing that even with this purchase
Some of you are so delusional 😂😂
Now if they bought Sony or Nintendo, now that would be worrisome. But that would never happen so no reason to even talk about nonsense like that
To be fair, No one thought MS would buy Bethesda or now Activision. They are eating up the competition slowly.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
It'll be great if this finally gets Kotick out. But I'm not a fan of what this means for the industry.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
The bummer about consolidations like this is that they can affect players who don't even play games from this publisher.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
User Banned (3 days): Console wars and trolling
jesus...if you can't make great IPs people want real bad just buy up all the popular 3rd party stuff i guess.

LaytonWright

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Guess we know why FFXIV wasn't coming to xbox now XD

Honestly 2022 I see Sony starts to try and get a Capcom or Square.

Tbh I hope MS can fix activision blizzard but year good luck Phil with the amount of lawsuits that will increase now

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah strangely I agree with this. I was stunned when they bought Bethesda. Skyrim, Doom, Wolfenstein, Starfield, Fallout... like these are genre-leading games. Activision is huge financially/market share-wise, but really houses a lot of broken franchises that have not appealed to me in a long time.

Bethesda was super savvy at the price point. This is about paying $70bn for unprecedented market share to pull from.

Now gamepass at some point will have the top selling FPS, and maybe even an MMO if they can get the Warcraft house in order. If enough people get comfortable with cloud gaming, they'll be doing very well for themselves.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
MS has around $130 billion in cash reserves (based off a 10 second Google search so forgive me if the numbers are slightly off) so this seems like a really good way to utilize some of that.

Still seems like an insane amount of money to spend on a company that is past its prime.

They said the same thing about Minecraft also.

$70 billion. MS will get their money back in 7 years.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

bad-deal-this-deal-is-getting-worse.gif

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy cause this means we might actually see Warcraft 4 and StarCraft 3 at some point, and that they might actually be good games.

I guess this means no Diablo for Playstation as well? Man...
Diablo IV might still come, as that was well in development before this deal and could have contracts obligating a release. Same deal how Deathloop and that other game still release on PlayStation, while it's made by a now Microsoft studio.

It's all speculating until we get confirmation though, which might take a while.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FUUCCCCCCCCKKKKKKING HEEEEEELLLLLL!!

Phil cannot be stopped!!! Gaming has changed forever!

RSTEIN

Nov 13, 2017
Also interesting to speculate what kinds of overtures MS has made to:

1. CD Projekt
  2. Ubisoft
  3. Netherrealm/Warner
  4. Other
Digesting Bethesda/Activision probably means no more deals for a while now.

Bashteee

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope Phil Spencer was just super frustrated with WC3 Reforged and wants a good version of that. Or WC4.

Cogg

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Haven't even wiped the crust from my eyes and I see see this? I'm dead fucking serious when I say I dont know what's gonna happen to Sony over the next decade. I mean Bethesda was massive, but this is monumental and has the one of the worlds largest IPs tied to it. If they decide to go nuclear and make COD an exclusive the that's the biggest 3rd party blow I could imagine.

Status
Not open for further replies.